Daylight Savings screwing end times.

Argon Flame
Argon Flame Posts: 98 Match Maker
edited November 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Did the changeover for daylight savings screw anyone else's grind?
Timer showed time left: 0. Then suddenly there's one hour left...

Awkward for people who aren't affected by North American daylight savings....

Comments

• Roguewookie26
    Roguewookie26 Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    Oh yeah. Was in 1st place for sub and 5th overall when the sub "ended" then i did the entry node for sub 3 got a blank screen. Closed reopened. My chars are dead now. And sub 2 is back up. Now im falling in rank in both overall and sub, thanks to an extra hour for the sub. Its **** ridiculous. Its not like everyone in the world doesnt know its going to happen and d3 cant work around it, or at the least communicate what they are doing? (*snip*)

commandpointsbig.png*Content removed* Please refrain from posting insults. commandpointsbig.png
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's the dead characters that I'm most upset about tbh, I was only in the top 100 anyway.

Such a ridiculous thing to happen.
  • Shulu
    Shulu Posts: 14
    Ditto. Lost 8 characters on DST change and hoping I maintain top 10 in sub.. Just crazy stupid.
  • marshall
    marshall Posts: 179 Tile Toppler
    Reposting here:

Same happened to me. The 3rd act of Strange Sights unlocked for me, I played the round that opens the door, played the first mission, then logged out for some minutes. Coming back in, I found the event had been rolled back one whole hour and the 5 characters I had used in these fights were dead.

On top of that, I was ranking #9 for that event and now lots of people got another chance to climb higher because they held on longer to do nodes... icon_e_sad.gif
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2016
    Not only a PVE problem. In PVP it seems it split brackets for Qing. I can only Q 1 guy and a bunch of seals instead of the people hopping. Same thing for a bunch of other people.

Edit: Just lost an hour on my shield at the PVE alliance rewards time. Can Q normally again.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    My characters seem okay, but the third sub of the event is starting with an hour before my nodes are at full value, so I'm going to have to wait a bit to max my score for my first four clears. At least it'll "only" be 2 am when I can start.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Oh, nice. Logging out and back in fixed the points clock. I don't have to wait an hour.
  • Roguewookie26
    Roguewookie26 Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    Most of it corrected itself. But the shields didnt and the fact that players got extra time they shouldnt have had to get points and change placements didnt. It dropped me from first place and looks like it is gonna knock me out of t5 for the event maybe even t10 now.
  • Rvns-ascend
    Rvns-ascend Posts: 3 Just Dropped In
    I am in the same slice as Roguewookie and I was also affected in the sub and overall ranking because of the mess up. I dropped from 3rd in sub and 3rd overall to 6th in sub and 4th overall with people gaining in points also.
  • SolidGuy
    SolidGuy Posts: 3 Just Dropped In
    I'm in the same slice as you guys and exactly the same happened to me. I timed my grind to finish at the end, but then lost places to players gaining points in the additional hour.
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    I just completely forgot about DST. I set an alarm for my final grind, went to start my grind, and I saw the event was over. But that's all on me. Just wanted to whine a bit.
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    DST screwed me over in a different way from all of you. I work 3-5am (CDT/CST) on Sunday's and usually use the last hour of that time to do my DDQ (since it only takes me about 15-20 minutes). But because of Daylight Savings, the DDQ node ended at 3:50am instead of 4:50am, and I missed out on doing any of the nodes.
  • xdogg
    xdogg Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    14639786_10154600250607488_6230981293779327272_n.jpg?oh=de8ddcec6524f0b38b0c56f9bafb684b&oe=58D5783B

Blame it on Strange icon_lol.gif
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    It was posted in the end times when you picked your slice. I normally pick the ends at 5pm slice. It showed as ending at 4pm. If people don't pay attention it isn't the games fault.
  • blargrx
    blargrx Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    Yup same as everyone else. Finished my sub 2 grind on time with 10 min left in 2nd place. The sub ended, I got into the 3rd sub and played two nodes. Then it rolled back to sub 2 for another hour.

I had to sit there for an hour with all my nodes at 1 as other players who started their grind late were given an extra hour to catch up. I finished 4th and missed out on the extra cp for rank 2,3 in the sub.

I also dropped from 12 overall to 15 making my chances of being able to catch up to t10 almost impossible with the extra grind time the other players got.
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    broll wrote:
    It was posted in the end times when you picked your slice. I normally pick the ends at 5pm slice. It showed as ending at 4pm. If people don't pay attention it isn't the games fault.

Except that if you picked Slice 5, it ended at 2AM Eastern last night, and 2AM Eastern happened twice.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2016
    broll wrote:

Except that if you picked Slice 5, it ended at 2AM Eastern last night, and 2AM Eastern happened twice.

That's true, but not the whole story. 2 am did occur twice for The One True Time Zone, but the first was Eastern Daylight Time, the second was Eastern Standard Time. They should make it clear which 2 am they meant.

I'm in The One Time Zone To Rule Them All, slice 5 was due to end at 7 pm. So I did my clears, sub 2 ended on time. I opened up the third way, then everything went to cack. Sub 2 was still open and had an extra hour to go.

So, I deduce that the servers are running on local time, event's end times were passed and new subs opened, DST kicked in and suddenly the WHERE NOW() BETWEEN EventSubStartDate AND EventSubEndDate query returned different results.

I know that criticising the developers risks a warning or ban, so I'll just say this. If the company I worked for used any time other than UTC for effective dates of things like tax rates or recording when transactions took place, our clients would rightly be very unhappy and any criticism levelled at us would be justified.

:edit: I had the EDT / EST the wrong way round. Not that anyone relevant will ever read this, but I think it's important that it be right.
  • Argon Flame
    Argon Flame Posts: 98 Match Maker
    When I am in game and the countdown says I have 30minutes remaining I assume I have 30 minutes not 1h30m.

While this is an occurrence that only happens once (case will be different on start/finish) am I supposed to know the the countdown timer is the issue?

Randomly having to spend 3 health packs to revive my team was also an interesting side effect.
  • Figure15
    Figure15 Posts: 284 Mover and Shaker
    So is the timer correct now or is there still a hidden 1 hr push?
  • Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    Hope they make an announcement today. I went from 1st to finishng 7th because of the screw up.