Marvelous is an astoundingly cheap boss.

2»

Comments

• pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think it's actually a fairly clever little fight. I just wish I could use a meat shield other than OML. At level 495 match damage alone is enough to wreck my support characters if they ever get out in front.

Also... That tiny kitty animal kept matching his own strike tiles. Argh!!!
  • Deimos12
    Deimos12 Posts: 230 Tile Toppler
    broll wrote:
    Deimos12 wrote:
    Patch, Loki and KK did it for me first try as well. I assume most people complaining that this is fight is "unfair" have either
    A. Not figured out you need to match away strike tiles
    B. Know you need to match strike tiles but refuse to look at their roster and use something other than their standard brute force team
    C. Will complain about anything at this point

Maybe all of the above icon_rolleyes.gif

A. Nope
    B. Nope
    C. Maybe a little of this, but mostly no.

Well I guess the event is just impossible and you can spend your weekend doing something else! Like seeing he Dr. Strange movie! Have fun icon_mrgreen.gif
  • dudethtsawesome
    dudethtsawesome Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    particle wrote:
    This is ridiculous. A character that only takes damage when you match the tiles that he provides? Not only is this SUPER CHEAP; but it's a stupid tactic. Also a "hidden" attack that you never see coming that wipes out your whole team? Are you trying to alienate players? If so, good job.
    At least now I know not to spend anymore cash on this game as it won't matter what you have in your roster because you guys will just keep giving us ridiculous nigh unbeatable bosses in every special event.
    No more of my cash for you thanks to the cheap unplayable garbage you have turned this once enjoyable game into.

Dude, just take a break for a while. I was in the same boat as you after civil war, frustrated with the game and ready to "stop spending money on this vile game." I took a month off, just played ddq, and regrouped. You have to remember that this is a first run of the event. Every first run of an event since I've been playing MPQ has been horrible with scaling. Ultron, Galactus(we were supposed to lose), Venom Bomb(they reran it right after because of how horrible scaling was on that one), Civil War, you name it, the first run sucked. This event will likely run again and it will be better(maybe not where we would like it to be but better none the less). We've been screaming for new content for years now and now that we get it we can't yell about how bad it is. In the words of Barney Stinson, "new is always better!"
  • Wolarsen
    Wolarsen Posts: 326 Mover and Shaker
    I liked the idea very much. Its different and makes me look for different ways to play. THUMBS UP

The only flaw i see is escaling for top players, as 5* do not have much tools for board manipulation, so they have to play with 3-4* against an escalated 5* enemy.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Deimos12 wrote:
    Patch, Loki and KK did it for me first try as well. I assume most people complaining that this is fight is "unfair" have either
    B. Know you need to match strike tiles but refuse to look at their roster and use something other than their standard brute force team

Nope, I've tried all these teams suggested and just can't do it. The only strategy is lucky tile placement and without that you're up a creek. I mean, I don't se how people are keeping these low health characters alive long enough to do anything.
  • Marine8394
    Marine8394 Posts: 301 Mover and Shaker
    Personally I love this event. Oh so close to what a PVE should be. Yup Kacalackasse is tough, but a boss should be,and it's the puzzle aspect that really shines. Finding the right team is a fun fun challenge. I needed four shots but I finally found the right team and beat him.Quicksilver, Luke Cage, BW. Two three stars, and a two star. Swap, steal, defend. And HEAL.
  • herm1978
    herm1978 Posts: 153 Tile Toppler
    Could tone down the match damage a bit.
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    smkspy wrote:
    Deimos12 wrote:

Nope, I've tried all these teams suggested and just can't do it. The only strategy is lucky tile placement and without that you're up a creek. I mean, I don't see how people are keeping these low health characters alive long enough to do anything.

Meat shields. If using QS, OML or a boosted Cho can tank Black. If using Elektra, boosted Rulk or Phoenix can tank Pink. If using Patch, either Phoenix or either boosted Hulk can tank Green.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    I don't think the problem is the damage-only-when-strikes-matched mechanic. The problem is that Hannibal doesn't generate enough strike tiles. Replace the Punisher-like countdown tile-generates-strikes purple with a passive that creates them automatically, and this is (ironically) a more reasonable battle.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ok, so, Passive: When Kaecilius has more than X purple AP, at the start of each turn he creates a random strike tile of strength Y.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    DaveR4470 wrote:
    I don't think the problem is the damage-only-when-strikes-matched mechanic. The problem is that Hannibal doesn't generate enough strike tiles. Replace the Punisher-like countdown tile-generates-strikes purple with a passive that creates them automatically, and this is (ironically) a more reasonable battle.

I think the intent was to give players several turns to collect AP before the strike tile fun kicks in.

Then the AP needed for his black should be much higher. You can never fully deny a color to the AI, because you can't account for cascades and such. If it's taking 14 turns to pop his first strike tiles, there's a huge chance that he's already wiped you with his black already.
  • BearVenger
    BearVenger Posts: 453 Mover and Shaker
    I intentionally didn't read this thread or ask my alliancemates for advice. I wanted to go in blind, and my Beautiful Brute Force team of RHulk, CHulk, and Nova were wiped out beautifully.

I regrouped and replayed with CHulk, KK, and 3*Storm. I was stuck in the mindset of gather AP, chain, heal. I won, but I saw how inpractical and So Last Boss that team was.

Props to the devs for this one. This is most definitely NOT a broken boss, nor is it a guaranteed win (and since you get unlimited attempts to beat him once per day, losing isn't the end of the world). It's nice to have a challenge doesn't need my best thumper or quickest battery to win. It's also nice that top-tier 4*s aren't necessarily the best answer.
  • Omega Red
    Omega Red Posts: 366 Mover and Shaker
    Count me among those who love this boss battle. I beat it with Rhulk, Quicksilver and three star Bullseye. Yes, BULLSEYE ****!
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    OML,Spider Man BiB and Quicksilver
    The epics Tank all colors (at least until they croak and Spidey's passive reduces the Strike Tile Bonuses)
  • Astralgazer
    Astralgazer Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    Maybe if Kacillius' strike tile generation is a passive power, it would be better? At least this guarantees the boss producing tiles that we can match, instead of having to wait sometimes a very long time to have strike tiles appear... miles from each other.
  • Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    I went with OML, QS and KK. OML tanks, QS moves tiles to match the strike tiles, and KK heals. Works great as long as you deny black and avoid making purple matches.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,189 Chairperson of the Boards
    For those with less than 4* rosters (Boss was level 310, even my best boosted characters are <200) I ended up using:

2* Bullseye, Patch, QuickSilver.

Bullseye ended up being key for me because every purple match Kaecilius made gave me protect tiles against his high damage (which was ripping my prior teams apart and Cage is great but ultimately useless other than his protect tile). I also ended up saving Green for Bullseye because Kaecilius started generating his strike tiles and Bullseye being able to destroy 5 selected tiles (in addition to QS's black) made it quite easy to match them away.

Took me about 5 retreats before I hit on this team.

KGB
  • BearVenger
    BearVenger Posts: 453 Mover and Shaker
    On Day 1, I stumbled into a win with CHulk, KK, and 3*Storm.

On Day 2, I used Quicksilver, Captain Marvel, and Elektra and won on my first try.

The Kaecillius level is more of a postscript than a Final Boss. The event points are less than most event nodes, and 1CP is the prize. If I couldn't beat him once in a 24-hour period, I don't think I would have lost any great amount of progreas towards my event goal.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    KGB wrote:
    For those with less than 4* rosters (Boss was level 310, even my best boosted characters are <200)...
    KGB

Boss is level 459 for me.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Best boss they've designed so far. You actually have to think about who to bring and what to do, and not just throw meat to the grinder.

I'm the first person to have a whinge when they make a ****-up but this most definitely isn't one of those.

He's 365 for me. I have a champed 3* roster.