Marvelous is an astoundingly cheap boss.

particle
particle Posts: 10
edited November 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
This is ridiculous. A character that only takes damage when you match the tiles that he provides? Not only is this SUPER CHEAP; but it's a stupid tactic. Also a "hidden" attack that you never see coming that wipes out your whole team? Are you trying to alienate players? If so, good job.
At least now I know not to spend anymore cash on this game as it won't matter what you have in your roster because you guys will just keep giving us ridiculous nigh unbeatable bosses in every special event.
No more of my cash for you thanks to the cheap unplayable garbage you have turned this once enjoyable game into.

Comments

• gigatilburg29
    gigatilburg29 Posts: 88 Match Maker
    I love this boss, it reallybrings the "PUZZLE" aspect out of this game.
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    I assume OP is talking about Kalle-whatever-his-name-is.

Not sure how his nuke is a hidden power. It's written right there in his description pretty clearly. Maybe he's going to scale in the later rounds but so far he's relatively straightforward to beat if you keep denying his black. There are a few strategies to beat him more easily.
  • I love this boss, it reallybrings the "PUZZLE" aspect out of this game.

I agree, I like the change as well. Instead of having to bring the heavy hitters like with every other event in the game, it's now wiser to bring a boardshaker or manipulator.

@gigatilburg29 Fun fact: posting this message from Tilburg
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Deny black. Use Quicksilver to move tiles around and match his strikes away. Too me two tries the first time thanks to cascades, but it's doable.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I actually beat him using oml, elektra and cho. I was a bit disappointed to see that cho destroying strike tiles with his board punch. I will try it with QS next time in cho's place.

I was using my black ap for elektra's shadow step, but it would be more effective to use it for qs instead (or both, if I gather enough). No need to use oml as anything but a meat shield.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards

I like the concept, but as usual the execution of it was poor.
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    I really enjoy this event so far. The boss requires actual puzzling, and his rewards are small enough that you don't really feel like you're missing something if you can't beat him quickly. If I was to make a suggestion, it'd be three bosses/versions that are based on each of the three main special tiles (strike/attack/protect) so that I've got to identify different strategies for each - a protect-tile boss, for example, sounds like a job for CMarvs. I think this is smart, fun and enjoyable, and I'd like to see more of it.

But, you know, your mileage may vary.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    So basically luck. Lots of strategy to puzzle, sure.
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    broll wrote:

I like the concept, but as usual the execution of it was poor.

I'm somewhat in agreement. A few tweaks and this would easily be my favorite boss. I think if he just didn't do match damage and created attack tiles instead of strike tiles, it'd be more interesting (and less frustrating) puzzle. Because without bringing someone who creates strike tiles you're relying on the AI to set you up and we know how well the AI is at matching sometimes. I kept leaving purple matches for him, but he'd avoid them every now and then. Meanwhile, I'm taking some big damage every round hoping the AI gets its' butt in gear.
  • bpcontra
    bpcontra Posts: 176
    Elektra is queen of this boss event....he used his nuke and she didnt get hurt...killed him 2 turns later.

Just use Patch, Elektra, Switch...not overly difficult but does require thinking
  • Evilgenius_9
    Evilgenius_9 Posts: 132 Tile Toppler
    Similar strategy to above, used patch, electra and invis woman. Won first try and was not really threatened.
  • Deimos12
    Deimos12 Posts: 230 Tile Toppler
    Patch, Loki and KK did it for me first try as well. I assume most people complaining that this is fight is "unfair" have either
    A. Not figured out you need to match away strike tiles
    B. Know you need to match strike tiles but refuse to look at their roster and use something other than their standard brute force team
    C. Will complain about anything at this point

Maybe all of the above icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    1 try with Elecktra, Patch, S.Witch

You don't have to just match his generated tiles, rather any enemy strikes tiles will work, so help him out...

Use Elecktra purple to toss 3 weak, use patch green to toss 6, use Elecktra black to insulate yourself from the resulting match damage while all said strike tiles are out.

Match them when possible and let S.Witch generate some cascades for matches and/or board shake.

I approve of this boss, thank you for something new and different.
  • Meander
    Meander Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    Aside from the scaling issue that they previously identified as a bug, it's fun. Not fun having your character one shotted by a moonstone t/u though. It's doable still, just difficult. Would be better if I could use the entire array of my lineup
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    ...hopefully have enough for Khan to obliterate the board the second Bette Davis throws down some strikes.

...forcefeed Runs With Mascara strikes then shove them does his throat with QS' oh-so-idle hands.

We would also have accepted "Smoky Eye Luke."
  • "Except, he wouldn't. You know that thing the AI does where it just decides not to fire a power it has AP for? Yeah, it did that instead. Mr. "Only Dies when Strikes are Matched" refused to make any strikes. What a troll! Truly he is invincible. "

oh no, its learning. can L and T shaped match 5s be far behind!! icon_e_surprised.gificon_e_surprised.gif
  • Crnch73
    Crnch73 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    I used SWitch to make purples, Fist to turn the purples into black, then QS to swap tiles to match strikes. I didn't leave there with a lot of health, but I did manage to win.
  • broll
    bpcontra wrote:
    Elektra is queen of this boss event....he used his nuke and she didnt get hurt...killed him 2 turns later.

Just use Patch, Elektra, Switch...not overly difficult but does require thinking

That's great if you have her with the needed ability... My Elektra only has shadow step.
  • broll
    Deimos12 wrote:
    Patch, Loki and KK did it for me first try as well. I assume most people complaining that this is fight is "unfair" have either
    A. Not figured out you need to match away strike tiles
    B. Know you need to match strike tiles but refuse to look at their roster and use something other than their standard brute force team
    C. Will complain about anything at this point

Maybe all of the above icon_rolleyes.gif

A. Nope
    B. Nope
    C. Maybe a little of this, but mostly no.
  • broll
    broll wrote:
    bpcontra wrote:

That's great if you have her with the needed ability... My Elektra only has shadow step.

Request TUs.

My alliance is mostly friends and randoms. There's only one guy in it who has a strong roster than I do. So likely wouldn't help. Even if I got 1, there is so much luck involved it would likely be wasted.