Dear d3, thank you

Comments

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like the vaults for this event!

Smaller vaults with good prizes and a high chance of covers for a new character = happy Dormammu.

(But seriously, I should have been the villain in this event.)
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu wrote:
    I like the vaults for this event!

Smaller vaults with good prizes and a high chance of covers for a new character = happy Dormammu.

(But seriously, I should have been the villain in this event.)

If you were the villain in this event, then you wouldn't have been able to play it yourself = unhappy Dormammu.
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    I'm enjoying the new PVE so far but the scaling is up to 11.

I wiped 3 times on the 5th play through of a node with a Mindless One and two Ultron Sentries. I finally had to bring in Ant-Man and still nearly wiped.
  • dudethtsawesome
    dudethtsawesome Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    I always enjoy when you come across a situation where you have to dig deep into your roster to figure out how to accomplish the task at hand. I currently have 4 champed 4*s and pretty much use them and the few top tier 3*s that compliment my 4*s(pretty much Iron Fist and Iron Man 40), so the fact that I'm really looking at using guys like Quicksilver and Loki as ways to shake the board up to win a fight is actually quite intriguing to me. It's not the same thing day in and day out and breaks up the monotony of going against the Dark Avengers again. Yeah, the mindless ones are tough, especially after 4 clears, but it's a lot better than Moonstone again.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    elusive wrote:
    DFiPL wrote:
    I actually like the Mindless Ones. I can't remember the last time I said that about new goon introduction. I mean, it's always possible I'll have a change of heart, but the Sentries and Ninjas infuriated me (and I still don't really care for either one). The Mindless Ones, though, I don't currently feel negatively about.

So thanks for that.

I agree! They strike the right balance and seem character-appropriate: Their attacks can really hurt, but they're dig, dumb (can't move the board) and slow, so you can work within their limitations to avoid their strengths. These goons work.

Maybe I'm in that sweet spot where they're tough because I don't have a super-strong or super-weak roster, but I find it hard to think they're fun to fight when they immediately drop a protect tile that negates all of my match damage or an attack tile that ends up doing 1,000+ damage a turn once one or two of their purples go off. They also have a lot of health compared to most goons, meaning it takes me a while to chip away at them, especially if one of their blasted protect tiles are out and I can't match it away. I don't like it when victory practically hinges on getting a friendly board.

Star-Lord, yo. Or Quicksilver, but he needs two uses of his black to one of Star-Lord's purple.
  • elusive
    elusive Posts: 261 Mover and Shaker
    DFiPL wrote:
    elusive wrote:
    DFiPL wrote:
    I actually like the Mindless Ones. I can't remember the last time I said that about new goon introduction. I mean, it's always possible I'll have a change of heart, but the Sentries and Ninjas infuriated me (and I still don't really care for either one). The Mindless Ones, though, I don't currently feel negatively about.

So thanks for that.

I agree! They strike the right balance and seem character-appropriate: Their attacks can really hurt, but they're dig, dumb (can't move the board) and slow, so you can work within their limitations to avoid their strengths. These goons work.

Maybe I'm in that sweet spot where they're tough because I don't have a super-strong or super-weak roster, but I find it hard to think they're fun to fight when they immediately drop a protect tile that negates all of my match damage or an attack tile that ends up doing 1,000+ damage a turn once one or two of their purples go off. They also have a lot of health compared to most goons, meaning it takes me a while to chip away at them, especially if one of their blasted protect tiles are out and I can't match it away. I don't like it when victory practically hinges on getting a friendly board.

Star-Lord, yo. Or Quicksilver, but he needs two uses of his black to one of Star-Lord's purple.

I don't have a well-covered Star-Lord, unfortunately, hence my "maybe I'm in that sweet spot" comment - all I have to currently use are champed 3 stars. Quicksilver is of course an option if I can get lucky enough to build up enough AP to do what he needs to do before taking a ton of damage from these things.
  • Mr_Sinister
    Mr_Sinister Posts: 356 Mover and Shaker
    I don't understand thanking them for doing what they need to do to stay employed. It's not like they are doing it out of charity or as a public service, its very literally self serving. Very odd.
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    elusive wrote:
    DFiPL wrote:

So thanks for that.

See, I actually love that concept, assuming they're used in moderation. It's like a little mini-puzzle to solve with every board, where you have to decide whether you can burn them down quick, or whether you have to play defense and sacrifice turns to try to wipe out their starter tiles.

I think the boss mechanics are similarly great. Having to think creatively to solve the board is fun, and the low-stakes nature of that node is perfect for that type of mechanic.

Whether they're tuned correctly is a different matter. I found them to be reasonable, but part of that may have been the nice buff list. Scaling can always be a big issue, as well, with different sweet spots at different roster strengths, so I can't speak to your specific experience. I know there have been times when my scaling has made otherwise fun events miserable. Hopefully the use of these mechanics will get more refined as they're used elsewhere.
  • monsieurmojo
    monsieurmojo Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    mpqr7 wrote:
    And no Dark Avengers. Yay!!

This. A million times, this.

I'd rather fight Boss Rush every other week than see DAs ever again.
  • supergarv
    supergarv Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker
    Wanted to create a thread myself, but am happy to see people also noticed and posted already.

Yeah! This event is fun, mostly a fresh approach to a boss battle. It's hard, but interesting.

Thanks for this! icon_e_smile.gif
  • Slothkins
    Slothkins Posts: 58 Match Maker
    I enjoy just about everything in this game. I don't really get the hostility in most places on this thread. I've actually been thinking that there's no real reason to read this forum anymore other than the update posts. So I agree. Thanks d3!
  • MLDB
    MLDB Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    Definitely a nice change of pace. Scaling is tough but manageable, and I like that you're forced into a new strategy. I'd be happy if they did this kind of event more often.
  • thisone
    thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
    Nice event. Nice new enemies. Tough but not annoying like symbiotes or sentries. I've actually wiped to them a couple times on the higher scaling. And I can't remember the last time that happened. But it didn't feel cheap and I didn't get annoyed.

This is more like the game I want to play.

I even love the boss node. Tricky but I'm 2/2 so far.

(One minor grumble. The progression issue. Please fix. Looks like it will happen again this event. Thank you.)
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    Loving this event so far. The novelty of puzzling out the boss and the introduction of new goons are both definitely fun. The vaults with a one in ten shot at 3*Strange/Legendary Token/4* cover is pretty sweet too.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    I don't understand thanking them for doing what they need to do to stay employed. It's not like they are doing it out of charity or as a public service, its very literally self serving. Very odd.

This x 1,000.

Not to mention the fact that it's not like they would ever make MORE new events based upon our satisfaction, or anything. lmfao. They are CLEARLY going to do whatever they want to do, REGARDLESS of whether or not we like something.

But yes.....of course.....the entire playerbase is grateful that we have a new event. That goes without saying.
  • Tromb2ch2
    Tromb2ch2 Posts: 301 Mover and Shaker
    TLCstormz wrote:

This x 1,000.

Not to mention the fact that it's not like they would ever make MORE new events based upon our satisfaction, or anything. lmfao. They are CLEARLY going to do whatever they want to do, REGARDLESS of whether or not we like something.

But yes.....of course.....the entire playerbase is grateful that we have a new event. That goes without saying.
    They literally could have just put doctor strange in the game and made a bunch of money (technically there was already a bunch of money spent in preparation for strange before we even knew about this event). I know Disney probably pushed them into doing more but it clearly looks like they put in a decent amount of effort to make this event different.
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    Count me in as happy to have a new event. I'm enjoying the new story line so far, especially the casual banter of Cage and Iron Fist. icon_e_smile.gif I like the new artwork across the board, too. Recently a decent amount of the art has been somewhere between mediocre and outright ugly, but all the new characters look good. The door animation sequence really surprised me in a very pleasant way!

No, it isn't perfect. But unlike some of our cohort here, I'll respect the wishes of the OP and save my criticism for another thread.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards

There's nothing wrong with letting them know what we enjoy in a positive way. It does the same as telling them what we hate in a negative way, and may even be more constructive. Whether or not they use the feedback is another conversation, but it certainly doesn't hurt anybody to add some sunshine to these forums.
  • turbomoose
    turbomoose Posts: 786 Critical Contributor
    I agree it's a much better improvement than the boss rush event

I think the animation is great and colours are fresh and enjoyable

Haven't tried ninjas world yet as I hate fighting ninjas but yes an excellent job guys

I might even VIP for another month icon_e_smile.gif
  • kobu
    kobu Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    I just got back from the movie, so I have to further comment that the boss battle is a creative interpretation that works for the game. Good job there.