Crash of the titans apology

Comments

• Omega Red
    Omega Red Posts: 366 Mover and Shaker
    A free leg token to each player who "tried" is a lot. Why everytime something doesn't work as intended players demand for "compensation"?. Rewards are earned. If they can't be earned because the event is broken then you just run again the event, giving everyone the chance to earn them. I know this opinion is not popular but I just don't understand why a broken event should translate to free rewards for me.
  • Frustrated1
    Frustrated1 Posts: 68 Match Maker
    This game has really turned into a piece of **** and the customer response/developer response has followed.
  • Omega Red wrote:
    A free leg token to each player who "tried" is a lot. Why everytime something doesn't work as intended players demand for "compensation"?. Rewards are earned. If they can't be earned because the event is broken then you just run again the event, giving everyone the chance to earn them. I know this opinion is not popular but I just don't understand why a broken event should translate to free rewards for me.

I agree it's probably too much but HP would be nice say 100 HP and 1000 ISO for those that tried the node. They used to give out compensation back in the day. Not sure what has changed.
  • MaxxPowerz
    MaxxPowerz Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    Eh, I feel like they should run the revised match out of cycle. Why are people defending them for doing otherwise? Now players who should have gotten a token will have that token delayed. Of course this would mean that other players would have the chance to get two to tokens, God forbid!
  • MaxxPowerz
    MaxxPowerz Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    Omega Red wrote:

Rewards are earned and as others have pointed out they wasted rewards in the form of boosts. D3's solution doesn't makeup for this; it's hardly a solution at all. There was a time when throwing the playerbase a little compensation for there boo-boos wasn't a big deal, but despite several errors on their part in recent weeks we haven't seen so much as a little iso.
  • rc35
    rc35 Posts: 62 Match Maker
    morph3us wrote:
    Honestly, I'm just happy that they were so prompt with their communication, and announced there was a stuff-up, with a mea culpa.

I'd like to see more in game communication like this.

A similar, timely communication for Boss Rush would've gone a long way to defusing the anger around it. Something like:

"We acknowledge that the Boss Rush event is proving to be very difficult for a lot of players. This level of difficulty is intended, however, we're monitoring player progress throughout the event. Although it's too late to change the difficulty level for this event, we'll use that data to calibrate an appropriate level of difficulty for the next Boss Rush event."
    I couldn't agree more.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    MaxxPowerz wrote:
    Eh, I feel like they should run the revised match out of cycle. Why are people defending them for doing otherwise? Now players who should have gotten a token will have that token delayed. Of course this would mean that other players would have the chance to get two to tokens, God forbid!

I'm not sure anyone is defending them for doing otherwise. Others are accusing them of doing otherwise (with no evidence), and I'm defending them because we don't even know one way or another yet, but that's about it. Outside of knowing Professor X will be the Crash two Crash's from now (Cyclops next, then Professor X getting a second run in The Thing's planned place), we don't know how the cycle will continue (next after that "should" be Invisible Woman, but could be Thing if they delay it 5 days to re-do Professor X).
  • DrDevilDinosaur
    DrDevilDinosaur Posts: 436 Mover and Shaker
    Firstly, I appreciate the communication.
    Secondly, I think a better solution would be:
    • give everyone a free LT
      Everyone that would win the re-run was going to get an LT anyway, it's everyone that wouldn't normally win that's the sticking point here. But let's really consider what that means. Why would players fail the PX DDQ? That is, the 4* DDQ considered to be the easiest. I would wager that for the vast majority it's because they don't have PX rosters, and for those players, I'd wager that the vast majority aren't winning Legendary Tokens on a regular basis because they're not up to that progression yet. And if that is the case, that's precisely the sort of person that you want to be opening a token that they can't really use right now.

Giving everyone a free LT is likely to encourage some players to spend resources (HP) they otherwise would not have spent. It's almost a text-book "unstable" environment; it presents a very brief but discernable short-term gain to the player which can really only be replicated if they spend some money.
    • push on with the cycle
      I think I honestly believe that you want to rectify the issues which caused this bug. So why give yourselves two weeks? That's what got you into this situation in the first place, right? Rushing releases out the door? These characters being bugged isn't fun, but I'd much rather put up with it for an extra two weeks if that's what it took for you to get it done right (it = coding, testing; in that order).

This quick turn around on communication is an opportunity to seize the high ground and turn this into a success. Don't let that opportunity pass you by.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Awesome.

A reasonable apology would have been to run an extra crash once the issue is resolved, to give everyone who beat the current one an extra LT and let the people who were unable to win get their LT back.

Of course MPQ, either unable or unwilling to schedule another crash, says "oops, sorry. we'll just insert the PX crash again", so the cycle just gets prolonged by five days.

Really disappointed. Like, _seriously_ disappointed.
    Always the easiest way out when a little compensation would have gone a long way to make the playerbase happy instead of frustrated.
  • Roguewookie26
    Roguewookie26 Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    The best solution would have been a proactive solution before it happened. D3 has known for a week about these bugs. At some point in there someone should have said, hey since its broken and we need those 2 extra weeks to fix it lets swap this one out for the next one. By deciding to just rerun it and replace the next sweet crash it takes a token away from players who could beat both this one and the one being replaced. (By that i mean they would get 2 legendary tokens in 10 days, now they will only get 1) if they were running it as an extra crash that would be a better option at this point. (Run it on day 4 and the normal crash on day 5) but thats not what they are doing. Yes they are giving players the chance to beat this particular crash but they are not really giving us anything they are just taking away one of the opportunities you would normally have to earn a token. And in real life, when you screw up (especially as consistently as they do) you need to make amends. If your friend continued to screw you over this many times without ever doing anything to show you they were sorry you would eventually walk away. Thats what d3 is doing to their player base.
  • Alsmir
    Alsmir Posts: 508 Critical Contributor
    Omega Red wrote:

Absolutely. It's completely unreasonable to expect as much as "We're sorry, here is some compensation for this bug." It's not like developers are responsible for that bug, such we shouldn't blame them at all.

Moreover, LT as compensation is completely outrageous. Token that gives you chance for 4* or 5* cover? Absolutely game-breaking when you consider that we have just barely 41 4* characters and each needs 13 covers to be usefull. With new 4* being released every ~14 days, you just need to get one 4* cover a day to keep up with new releases.

If we were to get any compensation, the only fair one would be 10% off ISO for one purchase.
  • beyonderbub
    beyonderbub Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    Beat it today no problem. Thought it odd that sidestep and ballet were hurting while invisible but killed her anyway. Glad he'll be back up again soon. Always the easiest 4* DDQ to beat.
  • Akari
    Akari Posts: 492 Mover and Shaker
    MaxxPowerz wrote:
    Omega Red wrote:

Rewards are earned and as others have pointed out they wasted rewards in the form of boosts. D3's solution doesn't makeup for this; it's hardly a solution at all. There was a time when throwing the playerbase a little compensation for there boo-boos wasn't a big deal, but despite several errors on their part in recent weeks we haven't seen so much as a little iso.

There still seems to be no compensation at all for the lost double iso during the Anniversary Dino PvP...
  • Tromb2ch2
    Tromb2ch2 Posts: 301 Mover and Shaker
    I agree with a couple of the posts here about px being the easiest. In this case giving a legendary token and not redoing it is okay because you can beat this one with just one purple and nothing else so it is practically a free legendary token anyway. If it was any other non invisible character rerunning it is the correct response.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Awesome.

A reasonable apology would have been to run an extra crash once the issue is resolved, to give everyone who beat the current one an extra LT and let the people who were unable to win get their LT back.

Of course MPQ, either unable or unwilling to schedule another crash, says "oops, sorry. we'll just insert the PX crash again", so the cycle just gets prolonged by five days.

Always the easiest way out when a little compensation would have gone a long way to make the playerbase happy instead of frustrated.

Thing is, that "extra Crash" likely would require additional code to make happen. I mean, maybe when they set it up, they included a code switch so all they have to do is check a box on a given day and select who's in the Crash.

I think it's more likely that the Crash itself is hard-coded to appear every five days, and that R11whatever is going to be out after the Cyclops Crash, but before the subsequent Crash. So it's easier to adjust that Crash to push everything back five days than to add code for TWO Crashes on Tuesday.

Because when has additional code ever broken anything in MPQ, anyway...?
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    DFiPL wrote:
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Awesome.

Thing is, that "extra Crash" likely would require additional code to make happen. I mean, maybe when they set it up, they included a code switch so all they have to do is check a box on a given day and select who's in the Crash.

I think it's more likely that the Crash itself is hard-coded to appear every five days, and that R11whatever is going to be out after the Cyclops Crash, but before the subsequent Crash. So it's easier to adjust that Crash to push everything back five days than to add code for TWO Crashes on Tuesday.

Because when has additional code ever broken anything in MPQ, anyway...?
    I know there is a 95% chance that the crash is hardcoded and it would require breaking 15 other things to set up an additional one, hence "unable to schedule another crash".

I imagine their codebase looks like a tiny bean that floats suspended in 12 cubic feet of air, surrounded by a gigantic ball of tissues, held together by spit, glue and chewing gum.
    Whenever someone has to venture into that... thing there is a 60% chance of the guy disappearing and a 95% chance of breaking other parts of the game.
    I think that's how we lost Will.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Awesome.

I agree, either you give a free LT to everyone or you do two crashes in the next cycle, but rerunning ProfX in the next cycle doesn't help AT ALL.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Polares wrote:
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Awesome.

I agree, either you give a free LT to everyone or you do two crashes in the next cycle, but rerunning ProfX in the next cycle doesn't help AT ALL.

Devil's Advocate: Pushing the others back five days pushes back other potentially winnable characters, yes, but ALSO gives people an extra five days to get additional covers for characters who may not currently be viable, or ISO to level up characters who are on the cusp.

And when Elektra isn't hitting invisible people, X is one of the easier characters to win with, so that's a free token for many (admittedly not all, as there are people without a purpleflag.png) .

But I don't think this solution is necessarily active harm. There are incidental benefits, as long as Thing doesn't get outright skipped to move on to Invisible Woman.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Meanwhile people upset about Boss Rush be like:
    Waiting-for-the-call-back-300x199.jpg

Probably get no response about the Strange boss mess either.

I'm really starting to evaluate if this game is even worth playing anymore...
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    I perceive the problem to be as follows: No LT for me this Crash.

The cause is the broken invisible power. Yes they are fixing the cause with the next patch, and rerunning that particular fight in the next Sweet cycle... but that doesn't fix the problem... No LT for me this Crash.

The problem is I am now an LT shorter than I would have had if it hadn't been broken. Great they are fixing the broken thing... but I'm still missing my LT. I'm still an LT behind where I would be if it had been working properly.

Had they swapped fights (since they knew Invisible was broken...) then it would be no loss because I would be subject to the 4* for the swapped week. That is not the case. There is still the problem of a missing LT.

10 attempts, no success. Boosts, Health Packs, Iso used on 10 fights (of which I would have definitely won at least one of them) and no LT to show for it that is not the fault of the player. I didn't get a single match 5 to fall for me during any of those 10 fights (terrible luck, but not end all if invisible had worked properly).

I didn't luck into a win, so I am out an LT. Until I get my LT, it is not resolved. Thank you for the apology, but it isn't worth the code it was written with.