Can I check my math on Standard Cover recruiting?

2»

Comments

• grael23 wrote:
    I am competing and I'm earning about three 3* covers per week... Mainly in long-term events. But that's slow going across 15 3 star characters. Add to that I'm getting just a *fantastic* number of doubles on the five 3* skills I have maxed. Really, I coulda built a house out of GSBW reds (but I can't get a green to save myself).

LOL, GSBW red is the one and only *** I don't have at all. (with average cover count on ***s above 8).
  • grael23
    grael23 Posts: 54
    I love that I've come here with a sore knee and you guys have correctly diagnosed it as referral from a back injury.

Yeah, I haven't tanked at all (started last night). I have read up on the concept but I like to try to play a game the way it was intended instead of "gaming" the system.

Quite frankly... eff that. It's not working.

I never ever considered just running into the Prologue Shield event every night before I call it quits and just chain retreating.

Some advice. Right now for the Thor event I've got shields holding at #15 (very late night). When (or even should) I break the shield to see if I can steal a couple more points for a top 10 finish?

Thanks again for the great insight into the root of my problem: No tanking.
  • Breaking shield means you appear on people's radar. With the last team you fought. Did you finish the last game with one good for defense? Then break away. icon_e_smile.gif

If it's your usual rush team, you can expect attacks rolling in soon. How soon depends on the said team. If you're on level field and estimate same game length, you finish your first game safely. But an attack may be on the way already and get you as you finish the second. With some luck it takes time you get actually rolled in, that makes even the second game considerably safe. The third will be high risk probably.

One easy tactic is to play last minutes -- so you can squeeze in the one game but with the lag the attacks do not fit. Here you have little to lose but most times you also finish just little late to count. There's some extra risk if someone stashed you for last minute from the early run...

Or you can reshield sometime in the middle after the 2(3) games to watch hits rolling just after.

For good strategy you must look at the scores that stand, where match points put you in good case and where you can drop if actually attacked. Also look the other climbers -- like wait till others shield up. Take a look at rosters of those below and estimate where they want to climb. You need to either wait them out or count for the late climb so stopping at higher point.

If you're new to top battles possibly better if you just stay put but look for all the said moves and consider it a dry-run gaining experience for next occasion.
  • grael23
    Alright, tanking is doing wonders.

To see how it's going I just skipped all my current opponents in the Thor event and all three went from 141s+ worth 11 to teams of 85s worth 40.

I am a happy, happy camper.

Thank you again!
  • grael23
    I just wanted to add a happy ending to the story and thank everyone who took the time to offer insight and condolences in a really bleak situation (first world problems, huh?).

Anyway, since I've started tanking the haul has been phenomenal. I've gone from 3x three star covers/week to this week's haul:

2x Patch
    2x Black Panthers
    2x Loki (**** does someone with a 5/5 Loki wanna come first?!)
    2x Hulk
    8x Magneto (lightning round - managed to come 1st in two of them!)

And I don't use any shields.

I've got the MPQ bug back and it's all thanks to you guys.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Good going! I've seen you quite a lot in this week's LRs and couldn't believe it was you! Glad for your progress. Are you still swimming in spare ISO? icon_lol.gif
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Shamusyeah wrote:
    He wants #1 in hero lightning rounds because it nets 3 courageous tokens. And I was suggesting he tank a lot more then you suggest so he is only facing 1* teams in lightning rounds.
    I had no idea it was possible to tank that hard. Maybe I should do it after all. I keep fighting people at my own power level!
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    grael23 wrote:
    Really, I coulda built a house out of GSBW reds (but I can't get a green to save myself).
    If you can make top 10 in the Captain America tournament that just opened up, I have good news for you.
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    grael23 wrote:
    I just wanted to add a happy ending to the story and thank everyone who took the time to offer insight and condolences in a really bleak situation (first world problems, huh?).

Anyway, since I've started tanking the haul has been phenomenal. I've gone from 3x three star covers/week to this week's haul:

2x Patch
    2x Black Panthers
    2x Loki (**** does someone with a 5/5 Loki wanna come first?!)
    2x Hulk
    8x Magneto (lightning round - managed to come 1st in two of them!)

And I don't use any shields.

I've got the MPQ bug back and it's all thanks to you guys.
    Oh man, I fielded a L85ish team, and I saw you quite a few times in my LR nodes recently. You were an auto-skip. icon_lol.gif

Awesome haul! 8 CMags, holy cats!
  • Grael -

You had slightly better luck, in a way. You did only get one 1 3* (0.39%), but you received 10 25 HPs (3.88%). So, you're specific outlier resulted in a significant increase in HP covers, while a lower amount of 3* covers. Combined, you had about 4.26%, which is only slightly lower than the 4.84% expectation of something above 2*.

Still sucks, but the RNG gods weren't **** in your cereal by any means.
  • I was just about to whine about how I haven't gotten a 3* from any kind of token in about a week but having read your post I decide to spend my 2K iso on tokens. FIRST ONE is a 3*!!! I've not opened it yet - SO EXCITED icon_e_biggrin.gif

...and it turned out to be...

BLUE SPIDERMAN!

My spidey is only sitting at 0/3/1 now so that was a welcome addition to the club.

So thank you for posting and be extension making me want to buy a token.

The big question is, Do I stop now or spend the rest of my iso???
  • Milkrain wrote:

you definitely stop now
  • Telepath wrote:
    Milkrain wrote:

you definitely stop now

I think I bought two more (1*) then I stopped.

Did the same thing today, 1st token was Loki purple (one of two 3* covers that I don't need along with Hulk Green), so that was a small bummer. Then two 1*s.

I find that buying standard tokens gives better covers than winning tokens, at least for me.
  • grael23
    Guys, thanks so much again! Sorry if I attacked anyone. After this thread I've been really trying to give back. I don't know if you've seen it, but I wrote a Hulk guide from the Fearless Defenders haul: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5718

Love your thoughts and/or a thumbs up if it was helpful.

Milkrain: Stop. Stop right now. Even if you're stuck in that 2*-3* ditch. Start reading about Tanking (which should really be called Sandbagging) and start "gaming" this game. A good team of capped 85s is enough to start scoring you two 3* covers per PvP event. And if you're thinking about spending cash, consider reading my guide and getting a Hulk. icon_e_wink.gif
  • grael23 wrote:
    Guys, thanks so much again! Sorry if I attacked anyone. After this thread I've been really trying to give back. I don't know if you've seen it, but I wrote a Hulk guide from the Fearless Defenders haul: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5718

Love your thoughts and/or a thumbs up if it was helpful.

Milkrain: Stop. Stop right now. Even if you're stuck in that 2*-3* ditch. Start reading about Tanking (which should really be called Sandbagging) and start "gaming" this game. A good team of capped 85s is enough to start scoring you two 3* covers per PvP event. And if you're thinking about spending cash, consider reading my guide and getting a Hulk. icon_e_wink.gif

Thanks man! I've yet to win an event. I can't seem to get past the 650 point mark. Also, as I'm EU a lot of events finish at 5am which prevents me from doing the last minute pushes. I do some tanking, especially in lightning rounds but not too much. I'm facing even teams but I get hit too often (or I play to slow) to climb above 700 points. I had a bit of a glitch for the Lazy Cap PvP where I shielded when I had 654 points but then once I was shielded I got told that I got hit twice while I was paying for my shield so I dropped to 609 points. Left in 8th right now. Don't think that will be good enough for top 10 icon_e_sad.gif But seeing as my three main candidates for my 3* transition are BP, Psylocke and Punisher I don't mind losing one GSBW cover. Also I'm in my own small alliance so I always miss out on that reward.
  • grael23 wrote:
    ...which should really be called Sandbagging...

I think of it as "throwing", like in a fixed boxing match. icon_e_smile.gif
  • grael23 wrote:
    I've been saving up a ton of ISO waiting for the fantastic Mischief to finish their amazing write-ups. Seeing that none of my characters were in the top 5 I decided to go recruiting to get some new 3* covers.

I wanted to give back to the community so I painstakingly recorded the results and the drops under GRAEL 23 (on the far right): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... yREE#gid=1

Now, statistically, we should see a 2.58% drop rate of 3* covers. Of the 258 covers I opened today (funny how that worked out 2.58% vs 258 covers) I should have seen 6-7 three star covers (This would have really changed my game). I got one.

ONE.

My question (and I struggle to elucidate my ruminations) is simply: What the eff is going on?!

I need to know if this is bad luck or if there's a bug. Is anyone else having an issue with standard covers?

This has got to be one of the most demoralizing mass-spends of ISO ever.

So, I actually did the math... assuming that 2.58% is correct, the chances of this happening are about 1:125. So, quite unlucky, but not unreasonable. Or to put it in perspective, this is about twice as likely to happen as rolling a 3 on 3d6.
  • dirk4mpq
    dirk4mpq Posts: 2 Just Dropped In
    I'm not sure I get Iso. From everyone talking it sounds like you should never spend it on standard ccovers. I'm sitting on over 200K of ISO. I have midd level 3*. It costs me very little at this point to level up if I can even get needed 3^ covers. I make Iso alot faster then I could ever spend it. So what just let it pile up and see If i can make 1M or spend it on standard covers wiith the hope of drawing a 3* or at least the 2* charcters that I have that are not completely maxed out yet.

So far every time I get over 200K. I spend 50K. Can't say I have not gotten at least 1 3*. Usually it is just one but have gotten 2 a couple of times.
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    dirk4mpq wrote:
    I'm not sure I get Iso. From everyone talking it sounds like you should never spend it on standard ccovers. I'm sitting on over 200K of ISO. I have midd level 3*. It costs me very little at this point to level up if I can even get needed 3^ covers. I make Iso alot faster then I could ever spend it. So what just let it pile up and see If i can make 1M or spend it on standard covers wiith the hope of drawing a 3* or at least the 2* charcters that I have that are not completely maxed out yet.

So far every time I get over 200K. I spend 50K. Can't say I have not gotten at least 1 3*. Usually it is just one but have gotten 2 a couple of times.

You're going to miss that ISO when you start leveling your 4* characters.
  • DapperChewie
    DapperChewie Posts: 399 Mover and Shaker
    dirk4mpq wrote:

Sick necro bro.

Seruously though, this thread is from 2 1/2 years ago. I'm not sure there were even star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png s then. There certainly wasn't DDQ for a reliable stream of star.pngstar.pngstar.png s, and you had to make top 50 to get the newest 3s in pve.

If you're looking for modern advice, I'd say never draw standards for iso. There's so many good ways to reliably get 3s now, and iso is a more precious commodity now than it was then.

And check the date when replying to a thread. icon_e_smile.gif