Survey about PvP

2»

Comments

• Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    I generally late-climb to 900 and shield for the remainder of the event. I'm solidly in 4* territory with eighteen 4* champions and only one half-leveled 5* (OML at 350).

I probably could hit 1200, but the extra CP just isn't worth it to me since it would require two or three shields.

For the record, I think 1200 would probably not be that bad if everyone hadn't just thrown up their hands and screamed "F THIS" when cupcakes were removed. If more than a handful of people were actually trying to hit 1200, there would be points. The problem is that everyone just gave up when the loleasymode loophole was fixed.
  • Crnch73
    Crnch73 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    highest I have ever climbed was 850.

Did it once in the old system, where I would then shield and try to climb later, only to lose 100+ points while winning one match.

Did it once in the new system, and though the point loss is less than before, I still get rocked for more than I am winning. I play one match for 45 points, but in the mean time I lose 48 points. The amount of times I get simultaneously attacked is ridiculous. My roster is in the high 3* range (no 4* really worth using, but a few are close... only 4 left to champ from the 3* pool)
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Jarvind wrote:
    I generally late-climb to 900 and shield for the remainder of the event. I'm solidly in 4* territory with eighteen 4* champions and only one half-leveled 5* (OML at 350).

I probably could hit 1200, but the extra CP just isn't worth it to me since it would require two or three shields.

For the record, I think 1200 would probably not be that bad if everyone hadn't just thrown up their hands and screamed "F THIS" when cupcakes were removed. If more than a handful of people were actually trying to hit 1200, there would be points. The problem is that everyone just gave up when the loleasymode loophole was fixed.
    I typically try for 1200 with no shield and then assess my leaderboard. If it looks like I might be able to take 1st, and the 4* reward is someone I have champed or not max covered then I'll try to hop as high as I can to get it. I've gone as high as 15xx before "grilling" on every hop. I feel like I have been part of the solution. Of course if the 4* reward is IW or someone I don't care for I'll typically just shield through the end of the event.

I think rewards between 900-1200 would really help provide an incentive for people to score high so that others can climb off them to higher than 900.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    The important thing this poll is missing is roster strength.

Thats pvp's core.
  • Kishida
    Kishida Posts: 310 Mover and Shaker
    Kishida wrote:
    I know this is shouting into the void, but here's my daily PvP frustration: the points algorithms seem completely off. I crept up to about 545 points, within spitting distance of the 10cp. Figured I'd pause to go play the LR seed teams. I knew I'd probably get hit once, but figured I could still hit that reward at least. In 15 minutes, I got hit 4 times (I'm almost certain I'm getting hit as I write this, but that ship has already sailed), knocking my score down to 429. That means each loss deducted 29 points from my score; the highest retal score on any of those who hit me is 22 points. If I want to look for higher targets I'll have to burn time (=getting hit more) and iso just to try to claw back to where I was less than an hour ago.

Glad to see that D3 has a good logical system in place. icon_rolleyes.gif
    Wait what, you were 1 match from your goal and you decided to take a break to go play LRs? The scoring rewards hitting above your weight - so the more points your target has the more points you earn. Sounds like you climbed about as high as your roster allows which means that most players with similar rosters are going to have lower scores than you and be worth less points. Also, when someone attacks you it shows you their score - take note of those scores. If they are higher than your current score hit them back regardless of what your retal node says, it should be worth 38+ points if their score is the same or higher than yours.

Realistically, I was about 2 matches from my goal, because I wasn't getting much in the way of high value targets. So I figured I would take a break, maybe get popped once and find a higher point match to get me a little closer to the 10cp. My roster isn't quite strong enough to compete in PvP (or at least I can't negotiate it well, so genuine thanks for the wisdom), but my float point is usually closer to 625-50. Since I was playing in an unfamiliar slice, the entire bracket was points-starved, and I think that's what did me in.

Regardless, my issue is that it feels like defensive losses deduct more from your total than they should: I choose a match, lose or retreat, and I'm down usually no more than 20-22 points. The computer loses a match on my behalf (which it realistically should, no complaints there), and I lose closer to 30 points? On the rare occasions where I notch a defensive win, I gain maybe 14 points if I'm lucky. To me, the numbers feel off. I just wish they'd even cap defensive losses at 18-20 points. But, you know, wish in one hand...
  • cyineedsn
    cyineedsn Posts: 361 Mover and Shaker
    Jarvind wrote:

I don't know if I agree with this. IIRC in that big cc thread, there were a number of posts of 4* people who definitely were trying to hit 1200, but found out the ugly truth, which is above 900 they had become the cupcakes.

I think that's when everyone gave up. Having another 20, 50, 100 more 4* rosters attempting to hit 1200 isn't going to matter when they get insta-sniped by literally everyone in the event within a minute or two.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Kishida wrote:

Regardless, my issue is that it feels like defensive losses deduct more from your total than they should: I choose a match, lose or retreat, and I'm down usually no more than 20-22 points. The computer loses a match on my behalf (which it realistically should, no complaints there), and I lose closer to 30 points? On the rare occasions where I notch a defensive win, I gain maybe 14 points if I'm lucky. To me, the numbers feel off. I just wish they'd even cap defensive losses at 18-20 points. But, you know, wish in one hand...

Absolutely. And I think another big part of it is that you can win only one match at a time, but are completely able to lose many times over in that exact same period.

After I hit my 575 in Cover Squirrel, I went in to win one more match. I did, but came out of the match having lost 5 times!
    Screenshot_20161102_093115_01.jpg

What point is there in playing that? What is the point in winning 30 points when in that time you will get hit by 5 others and lose 90? Where is the transition for 3* and 4* players if you need a fully developed 4* roster to win the 4* progression?

For reference, I've got an early 4 transition roster with 4* champs, (Ice, HB, 4thor & 4pool) 4Cyclops and Starlord waiting for ISO to champ.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    veny wrote:
    I have some champed 4*s, all of my 5*s are at default level and 3*s are all champed.
    Unless some 4*s are powered, i use mostly 3*s. And even when i use 4*s, someone with proper counter-team of 3*s (mostly with 3* Iron Man, or OML as tank) defeates me pretty easily.
    I understand its all about building better roster, but thanks to stupid AI and counter combos you can be easily defeated even with fully leveled 5*s.
    Fully champed 5* team is something that could (not 100%, of course) guarantee you victory + unbreakable defense, but then we would speak about pay to win, and thats the whole point of this thread - to find out whether its possible or not to reach max progress loot without spending a single cent.

Which are your champed 4*s? If they're any of the top tier set such as rhulk, 4cyc etc, you'll always do better using them over most 3*s or pairing one with a 3* ap accelerator like im40, because they're much efficient and will win your matches faster. It's a matter of timing and knowing when you can relax and when (and at what score) you need to climb to shield as fast as you can.

The game has always allowed players to hit above their weight class - like you say other players can hit stronger teams and win, but you also need to know that makes you a bigger target.

Building a bigger roster makes it easier to get there, but it takes time. Are you expecting to go straight to 1.2k without shielding? Even before 5*s existed and everyone had 3* and 4* teams I needed to shield-hop to get to the top progression with 3-4*s. And I did that f2p with hp earned from playing pve and pvp.

It's not meant to be easy to get there. That's the point. Or am I doing something wrong?
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    firethorne wrote:
    Kishida wrote:

Absolutely. And I think another big part of it is that you can win only one match at a time, but are completely able to lose many times over in that exact same period.

After I hit my 575 in Cover Squirrel, I went in to win one more match. I did, but came out of the match having lost 5 times!
    Screenshot_20161102_093115_01.jpg

What point is there in playing that? What is the point in winning 30 points when in that time you will get hit by 5 others and lose 90? Where is the transition for 3* and 4* players if you need a fully developed 4* roster to win the 4* progression?

For reference, I've got an early 4 transition roster with 4* champs, (Ice, HB, 4thor & 4pool) 4Cyclops and Starlord waiting for ISO to champ.

There's 2 days and 8 hours left in that screencap. This early in the event, there are hardly any points to go around. Expect to get hit even if you are running champed 5*s.

Enjoy the ride. Hits at the start of the event don't mean anything. Climb and drop, farm iso and covers. Not a big deal. Then closer to the end make a rush climb as high as you can and shield when you start feeling nervous. Look for good targets, play something else, come back and try again to see how high you can get.
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    ^^Exactly my point - whats the point of trying to reach top progress tier after reachng the point where you lose points faster that you earn them (and yes, it also happens few hours before end, its based on your points, not on time or amount of players in your group). Heals or shield wont help you there. And roster? With fully champed 5*s (so far i dont have a single one maxed) you may have a chance but without it? In Vicious circle PvP i was defeated by team of 3*s while i was using (i hope, i am not sure how defense teams are made) maxed 4*s.
  • Ebolamonkey84
    Ebolamonkey84 Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    I voted the first option. If I do my climb early enough (before the 8 hour mark) , I can usually get to 1200 without much issue. If I wait until after the 8 hour mark, I may have to hop once or twice, but that is typically because I can't find good targets and will get hit if I stay out much longer.

I have a lvl 451 OML, 453 Phoenix, and 23 champed 4s (that are usually irrelevant outside of the rare featured 4* PVP).

The cupcake era lasted so long that many people forgot what proper shield hops are like. No matter what your roster is like, if you hang out too long above a certain point threshold, you are going to be hit for more points than you are gaining. The strength of your team merely increases that point threshold for you.

Part of the problem with PVP progression is that you don't get max prog just for showing up like you do with PVE. Since PVE progression is so easy, people think they should be entitled to max prog in PVP as well.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    There's 2 days and 8 hours left in that screencap. This early in the event, there are hardly any points to go around. Expect to get hit even if you are running champed 5*s.

Enjoy the ride. Hits at the start of the event don't mean anything. Climb and drop, farm iso and covers. Not a big deal. Then closer to the end make a rush climb as high as you can and shield when you start feeling nervous. Look for good targets, play something else, come back and try again to see how high you can get.

In my experience, this doesn't change one darn bit due to how long the event had been running. As I said in a previous post, I had the exact same problem on Ghost Rider, and that was much further along. I just took a screenshot of Squirrel girl because that's what is currently running.

Getting hit for more points than I've won seems extremely common for me, and isn't a function of time into the event. If I'm above 600 points, it happens, period. The threshold for which I can be unshielded, if I'm lucky, is a single match.

Now if you want to argue that means my roster needs improvement, fine. But, that also means the game has a ridiculous Catch-22: in order to obtain a 4* roster, one must have a 4*-5* roster. The devs are apparently fans of Joseph Heller.
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Need an option for "Probably, but the vast emptiness of rewards from 900-1200 isn't worth the time/risk/hassle for part of one slot machine pull"
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    PvP is CLEARLY made for the vets.

Which is why I find it so preposterous for y'all to complain that THE OTHER GAME MODE is even somewhat newb friendly.

As if, you want EVERYTHING to yourselves. No excuses. And who cares about those "beneath"you. Smh.
  • MLDB
    MLDB Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    I refuse to shield below 1200 if I can avoid it. Any hop over 1200 though, I broadcast to a bc so others can hopefully use me to hit 1200.

The reality of post cupcake era is that there's very little reward for pushing past 1200. It's altruism to expose yourself on a hop purposely with such a high score because points are much tighter and everybody wants that sweet 50 pt queue. This is what was the devs intended, so there's not much any number of complaints, polls, etc will do to change their minds for now. Remember cupcakes were around for a full year before it changed. Don't expect any revision to pvp to come around any earlier than that.

If it's a struggle to hit your intended goal (900 for 3-4 star transitioners), that's what the devs wanted for you. I think it's awful, but there's been posts up and down the forum complaining about inability to hit 1200/900/etc. and the devs haven't made any indication that they want to change a thing.
  • Shields cost HP and I require allllll the HP I can get to buy roster slots. Shields are not an option for me.

I have had one single instance in which I managed to get to the final reward with about a day or two time but that day I had a lot of luck with opponents and played a LOT. I'm afraid I won't be getting Gwenpool anytime soon icon_e_sad.gif

PvP has suddenly become a lot harder for me than it used to. Usually I had to fight a bunch of 2*s or one 5* with 2 2*s but now I have to fight a bunch of 3* champs that are way stronger than my characters. It makes it hard for me to progress let alone score points.