Survey about PvP

veny
veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
edited November 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
So, after i got my **** kicked in PvP (again), i would like to make a survey about your PvP achievements.

Question is very simple: Are you able to reach top progression tier?

Thanks for voting and for those who voted "yes" and want to contribute more, please write a comment with (optional) your roster, your strategy, your attitude to progression loot in Pvp and your attitude to my suggestion regarding this issue (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=51057 ).
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Most of the time I can make it to 1200 without shielding. S5 is a little dry sometimes, and the lack of targets means that occasionally I have to do 1 hop. In s4 I can easily make it without shielding. I prefer s5 though because 1200 is usually top 5, where in s4, 1200 is maybe top 25, maybe top 50.
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    I get to a certain point and become an attack magnet

best I seem to be able to get lately is around 750

maybe after clearance level 8 is added that'll change
  • veny
    I get to a certain point and become an attack magnet

best I seem to be able to get lately is around 750

maybe after clearance level 8 is added that'll change
    Same after reaching 700-900 tier (aka after 2 hours of doing PvP), they start to attack me... after it happens its like get 30pts, lose 25 during that time. Impossible to make some progress at this conditions.

Btw thanks to everyone who participated and voted in my poll. I appreciate it very much icon_e_smile.gif
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sometimes I make 1200 with no shields and sometimes it is with 1 shield hop. Generally I use 2 shields total per event, sometimes 3 if I h e to climb early for n event. 3,8,3 is still cheeper then 3,24. I go slice 3 or slice 1 depending on the event.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    I only ever shield when I'm done. I try to hit 900 with 8 hours to go and then drop an 8 hour shield and walk away.

Tonight was a pain though. I got to 830 and then everything was worth 30 points at best, so I pushed and pushed, got to 870, won a 32 point match...and got knocked down. I figured I'd try again, maybe that was the one and only hit I'd get, that sometimes happens I get knocked down but then nothing shows up for a while. Nope, just kept getting hit and hit.

I even found a cupcake...maybe? A level 405 Pheonix with a level 94 2* Thor and a low level Ghost Rider and beat it for 70 points, but I'd been knocked down to 780 while doing that so it was meaningless. A few more attempts, ran out of health packs, got knocked down to 801...I gave up.

wouldn't have been nearly so annoyed had it not been for the fact my Ghost Rider is 2/5/5 and I have two covers waiting in the wings. This was my moment to champ him and now I'm probably going to have to sell those damn things.
  • Melevorn
    Melevorn Posts: 137 Tile Toppler
    I even found a cupcake...maybe? A level 405 Pheonix with a level 94 2* Thor and a low level Ghost Rider and beat it for 70 points...
    With Demiurge's recent changes to the PvP defence team selection algorithm, that is indeed what a cupcake looks like nowadays.

Regarding the poll, I can't get to 1200 without hopping. Since it's now only worth 15 CP, I rarely spend the HP on shields to hop to 1200 nowadays and just spend 75-150 on a shield to the end wherever I finish climbing (usually somewhere in 900-1050).

My roster is one L375 OML (2/5/2) plus 25 championed 4-star characters and a stack of championed 3-stars. Most times I'll use two boosted 4-stars, unless OML is a better fit or it's a really bad week for boosted characters (e.g. this week I have a champed War Machine but am using OML and Ant-Man with my champed Ghost Rider).
  • Kishida
    Kishida Posts: 310 Mover and Shaker
    I know this is shouting into the void, but here's my daily PvP frustration: the points algorithms seem completely off. I crept up to about 545 points, within spitting distance of the 10cp. Figured I'd pause to go play the LR seed teams. I knew I'd probably get hit once, but figured I could still hit that reward at least. In 15 minutes, I got hit 4 times (I'm almost certain I'm getting hit as I write this, but that ship has already sailed), knocking my score down to 429. That means each loss deducted 29 points from my score; the highest retal score on any of those who hit me is 22 points. If I want to look for higher targets I'll have to burn time (=getting hit more) and iso just to try to claw back to where I was less than an hour ago.

Glad to see that D3 has a good logical system in place. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Nope. I can't even seem to hit the 4* anymore. Most of the time now, I'll just get the CP and quit. But, I stupidly spent hp on hops again this Ghost Rider eveny. But, trying to make the last move from 850 to 900, I got hit for more than I'd won every single **** time. I won ten **** matches in a row, and ended up with less points than when I started. Just about uninstalled. This **** game...

Anyway, i know I'm shouting into the wind. I'm convinced the devs don't care. Nothing will change. So, I'll just burn thorough the hp that I regret having bought prior to the anniversary. I've already let my VIP expire, that felt good.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    I voted the first option, because I can if I want. However there are many options missing.

My actual answer would be: yes, and I would be amongst the first in the slice to do so, burning a few shields along the way to offer Qs for other people because that is how PVP works. No front runners, no shielding, no points in the slice. This hasn't changed with Cupcakes becoming Grills.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is, I feel, a very odd poll.

It begs the question - what is your roster like? champed 5*? Mid-level 5*s and some champed 4*s? Some champed 4*s and champed 3*s? A handful of champed 3*s, 2*s? Unmaxed 1*s? What progression level do you expect each set to reach?

More:
    What slices do you play and what is your strategy for climbing?

I have 3 champed 5*s, some champed 4*s, all champed 3*s. For me, this means I can usually reach final progression in one session starting from 0 without having to shield, or at worst 1 shield in the off-season. Works in slice 1,3,4,5 - s2 may be an issue since it's notoriously dry, but I haven't had time or interest enough to try it.

My alt account at rank 42 with 10 newly champed 3*s and a handful of also freshly champed 2*s can get close to or a little past 700 before shielding, though I tend to fool around too long and get smacked down, but in a good buffed week (3torch/im40 last week), it gets past 800.

That seems like a reasonable standard to aspire to, especially now that they've moved 10cp down to a very attainable 575 so it's clear progress without hoping to hit the top reward.

What do you think?
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    I probably could, but I don't. I prefer to just shield once at 900 and not have to worry about timing jumps.
  • shartattack
    shartattack Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    as someone around day 120, could someone give me the gist over qualities of the different slices? for what it's worth, i have 14 championed 3 stars. with the right featured character, i make it to 650 and get the 10 cp and the token before i get hit more than i can stay up. This is with using a 3 hour shield because i run out of health packs. I would love to make it up to the 4 star.
    My roster: Any team suggestions to discourage getting killed whenever i am unshielded would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks!
    https://mpq.gamependium.com/rosters/shartattack/
  • veny
    This is, I feel, a very odd poll.

It begs the question - what is your roster like? champed 5*? Mid-level 5*s and some champed 4*s? Some champed 4*s and champed 3*s? A handful of champed 3*s, 2*s? Unmaxed 1*s? What progression level do you expect each set to reach?

More:
    What slices do you play and what is your strategy for climbing?

I have 3 champed 5*s, some champed 4*s, all champed 3*s. For me, this means I can usually reach final progression in one session starting from 0 without having to shield, or at worst 1 shield in the off-season. Works in slice 1,3,4,5 - s2 may be an issue since it's notoriously dry, but I haven't had time or interest enough to try it.

My alt account at rank 42 with 10 newly champed 3*s and a handful of also freshly champed 2*s can get close to or a little past 700 before shielding, though I tend to fool around too long and get smacked down, but in a good buffed week (3torch/im40 last week), it gets past 800.

That seems like a reasonable standard to aspire to, especially now that they've moved 10cp down to a very attainable 575 so it's clear progress without hoping to hit the top reward.

What do you think?
    I have some champed 4*s, all of my 5*s are at default level and 3*s are all champed.
    Unless some 4*s are powered, i use mostly 3*s. And even when i use 4*s, someone with proper counter-team of 3*s (mostly with 3* Iron Man, or OML as tank) defeates me pretty easily.
    I understand its all about building better roster, but thanks to stupid AI and counter combos you can be easily defeated even with fully leveled 5*s.
    Fully champed 5* team is something that could (not 100%, of course) guarantee you victory + unbreakable defense, but then we would speak about pay to win, and thats the whole point of this thread - to find out whether its possible or not to reach max progress loot without spending a single cent.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Kishida wrote:
    I know this is shouting into the void, but here's my daily PvP frustration: the points algorithms seem completely off. I crept up to about 545 points, within spitting distance of the 10cp. Figured I'd pause to go play the LR seed teams. I knew I'd probably get hit once, but figured I could still hit that reward at least. In 15 minutes, I got hit 4 times (I'm almost certain I'm getting hit as I write this, but that ship has already sailed), knocking my score down to 429. That means each loss deducted 29 points from my score; the highest retal score on any of those who hit me is 22 points. If I want to look for higher targets I'll have to burn time (=getting hit more) and iso just to try to claw back to where I was less than an hour ago.

Glad to see that D3 has a good logical system in place. icon_rolleyes.gif
    Wait what, you were 1 match from your goal and you decided to take a break to go play LRs? The scoring rewards hitting above your weight - so the more points your target has the more points you earn. Sounds like you climbed about as high as your roster allows which means that most players with similar rosters are going to have lower scores than you and be worth less points. Also, when someone attacks you it shows you their score - take note of those scores. If they are higher than your current score hit them back regardless of what your retal node says, it should be worth 38+ points if their score is the same or higher than yours.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    veny wrote:
    I understand its all about building better roster, but thanks to stupid AI and counter combos you can be easily defeated even with fully leveled 5*s.
    Fully champed 5* team is something that could (not 100%, of course) guarantee you victory + unbreakable defense, but then we would speak about pay to win, and thats the whole point of this thread - to find out whether its possible or not to reach max progress loot without spending a single cent.
    That's a whole different question than the one you asked.
    Lots of people make enough HP from playing to afford shields in PVP.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    I probably could, but I don't. I prefer to just shield once at 900 and not have to worry about timing jumps.

I get not hopping, but why not just push until you get hit?
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's hit or miss whether I can get 1200 w/o shields so far this season (I'm 2 for 5). 1200 w/ shields generally isn't a problem; I hadn't missed in season top progression in at least 6 months, except....

Ghost Rider I was a giant target because my MMR is around 840 levels of opponent (420/420 5*, 450 5*/370 4*), but most players at that level have champed GR, whereas mine was 214 boosted. I gave up after 900, too big a disadvantage to overcome.
  • veny
    Bowgentle wrote:
    veny wrote:
    That's a whole different question than the one you asked.
    Lots of people make enough HP from playing to afford shields in PVP.
    Yeah, i know, me to... so i should say "without spending a single HP"...
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have no desire to shield hop. I climb late, for placement, and shield once to end. I climb until I begin to get hit or until I run out of Health Packs, whichever comes first. I usually break 800, but not quite hitting 900 before getting pushed back down.

I save my HP for the roster slots (104/104) and for the occasional Deal of the Day on a good event vault (though I'm currently into No-Pull November).
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    There should be an option to vote that you don't bother with Top level Progression (anymore or ever), and just choose to quit at say 900 for the 4* cover because its just not worth the hp, time or hassle to get top placement rewards or even the final 15cp. That's really my attitude despite a decent roster (linked below) and I suspect a lot of others may have adopted that philosophy too. right now the "No" options only reflect people who tried to go higher.