What are the scariest 4* defensive teams?

Options
VizMantis
VizMantis Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
edited November 2016 in MPQ Tips and Guides
None of the boosted 4*s this week are well leveled on my roster. Since I can't build my defense around them, I have to go with the scariest team in general to try and keep my point loss to a minimum.

I used to always default to jeanbuster, but I'm not sure that's the best option these days. What are the best scarecrow teams at the moment (at the 4* tier)?

Comments

• Natsufan01
    Natsufan01 Posts: 259 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Peggy.

Noone else really. You have a 4* team, you can probably take outnother 4* teams regardless of who they are.

I personally skipped Carnage though, not because I might lose, but because it's a guaranteed health pack used, if not more than one.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Peggy and boosted rulk are the two toughest nuts to crack in 4* land right now.

I think hiding peggy behind Thing may actually be a sneaky annoying defensive team. The usual tactic with thing is just to stun him and move on. But peggy's yellow makes the stun much more expensive, giving you team more time to gather ap be dangerous.
  • VizMantis
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Peggy and boosted rulk are the two toughest nuts to crack in 4* land right now.

I've got a 5/2/5 Peggy, so that'll probably work as long as no one looks too closely at her. icon_e_wink.gif

My rulk is champed, but I'm asking about unboosted. Is he still scary without the boost?
  • Sandwichboy
    Sandwichboy Posts: 193 Tile Toppler
    Options
    He's not scary without the boost, but he's definitely super annoying and slows down your game because you have to be more careful or end up losing green AP constantly and end up taking a pretty nasty number of team hits.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Boosted RHulk is probably the only 4star that makes me sigh, but even that is only because his red is so annoying to play around.
  • VizMantis
    Options
    Daiches wrote:
    only because his red is so annoying to play around.

Really? In all the times I've played with/against him, I've never found his red to be terribly effective.
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Daiches wrote:
    Boosted RHulk is probably the only 4star that makes me sigh, but even that is only because his red is so annoying to play around.

I generally agree with this. I rarely skip anything worth points, but Rulk is annoying. I still fear a boosted JG. AOE damage all over the place. I hate having to skip match-5's with her in there.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I switched from Thing/DPXF (in sim) to Peggy/Rulk...I like playing against those less, but I'm not seeing any less attacks. Like most say: 4*'s are like the 3*'s used to be vs 4*'s - if the 5*'s can see/hit you, they are nothing.

In particular, I've found that to be the case with Peggy. Champed her and started going against her last event - found that even boosted the 5* damage lowers her so quickly she isn't that much of a put-off.
  • VizMantis
    Options
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    if the 5*'s can see/hit you, they are nothing.

Yeah, of course there's never going to be a defensive team that scares off everyone, especially when there's a whole tier above what I'm fielding. I'm just looking for the best team to scare off some people. And it sounds like the resounding answer is rulk/peg.

I'm actually surprised that there's such a clear answer. I assumed there'd at least be a few different teams suggested.
  • VizMantis
    Options
    which makes me think of the current scariest.

Don't get me wrong, the scariest is exactly what I was asking for. What I meant is I was expecting some disagreement on what the scariest actually was, rather than clear consensus. Not that consensus is a bad thing, it makes my life easier.
  • Kjeldbjerg
    Kjeldbjerg Posts: 117 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Can you even choose your defense team so easily anymore ? Let's say you're climbing with your champed jeanbuster, and switch to peggy/rhulk for the last match. If your jeanbuster has more levels, wouldn't that be your strongest team and therefore your d-team?
  • VizMantis
    Options
    Kjeldbjerg wrote:
    Can you even choose your defense team so easily anymore ?

My understanding from reading other threads was that it was only big changes in strength that activates anti-cupcake mode. I would think switching from my climbing team to a slightly lower level peg/rulk team would work fine, but I could be wrong.
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Peggy is my first champed 4*. I had never finished better than 20th in PVP before but managed #1 overall last night in Teenage Riot. Was only attacked once and that ended up as a defensive win.

To be fair I did enter the event very late (last hour) and just grinded it quickly with Peggy and IM40 but I found that the only teams I was skipping also had Peggy in them. Also she was boosted for that event so not sure she will be quite the deterrent when she isn't boosted but that event was eye opening.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2016
    Options
    revskip wrote:
    Peggy is my first champed 4*. I had never finished better than 20th in PVP before but managed #1 overall last night in Teenage Riot. Was only attacked once and that ended up as a defensive win.

To be fair I did enter the event very late (last hour) and just grinded it quickly with Peggy and IM40 but I found that the only teams I was skipping also had Peggy in them. Also she was boosted for that event so not sure she will be quite the deterrent when she isn't boosted but that event was eye opening.

I was 10th in that bracket elskipo. Grrr! I only gave myself 25 minutes and finished a few hundred points behind you. Guess I should have hopped in a little bit earlier. Grats on the Blade red. I had to go mine one out of the vault of horrors after you won that bracket.

And back on topic, yes, boosted peggy is a both a strong defensive deterrent and a great climbing team. When not boosted, I think she doesn't have quite enough offensive punch to be a great climber (unless maybe the featured is also an offensive stud). But she remains about as good a deterrent as there is in 4* land.
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I finally champed my Peggy and Yeah, attacks basically just cease to exist with her out. Paired her with the ant, but there's so many good options to work her in with. Most trouble I've had so far is vs her and a boosted Hood.

Just couldn't get the ball rolling
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Champed peggy cost me a chance at 900 in the kk event. got hammered every time i tried a team with her on it.

rulk is a pain in the ****, but if you use iceman and keep him stunned he's not so bad.

carnage obv for the stupidness of his black and slowing the match down.

and of course oml levelled higher than your own.

iceman/jean grey/cyclops are avoided if possible as well.
  • spatenfloot
    spatenfloot Posts: 660 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Peggy, Starlord, XFW might be pretty annoying and slow to fight.
  • amusingfoo1
    amusingfoo1 Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Or stun them. And that's where Peggy shines. She and iceman are the only prolonged stunners 4* and above. Peggy's AP denial makes her more effective on defense.

Mr Fantastic is quietly crying in the corner.
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Jean Grey Peggy Carter and X Force Deadpool

Jean's passive is perfect for an AI, if one concentrates on Deadpool Peggy's passive causes you to slow roll, and if you concentrate on Peggy Deadpool's passive makes you pay for big hits
  • VizMantis
    Options
    It's been a while since I asked this, and a lot of great defensive characters have come out since.  I'm pretty sure peggy/rulk is no longer the clear answer.  So what's the best team for fending off attackers these days?

I'm actually still running rulk/peggy in the sim, with the new addition of 5 green c4rol.  But I'm thinking Medusa might be scarier than rulk these days?  I also see a lot of Bl4de out there.