Have you ever quit and come back?

bbigler
bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
edited October 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
I'm betting a lot of people have done this and I would like to know about your experience. Here's mine (I've quit 3 times before):

Nov 2013: introduced to the game by a friend, quit Candy Crush because the upper levels were impossible
Dec 2013: had a good 1* fighting team, working on 2* team
Jan 2014: had a good 2* fighting team, 3* progression looked extremely slow
Apr 2014: I started ranking top 5 in PvP (I even got #1 a few times) and getting more 3* covers
Oct 2014: got burned out from the time commitment and quit (I felt enslaved by the game)

(5 months pass)

Mar 2015: got bored one day and started playing again; discovered DDQ, which gave me hope to complete my 3* roster
Since I lost ground compared to other players, I could only rank in top 10 now in PvE and PvP
May 2015: Continued bringing my 3*s to level 166, which felt good, but ultimately I got burned out again and quit

(10 months pass)

Mar 2016: got bored one day and started playing again; discovered Champions, which gave me motivation to finish leveling up all 3* to get the LT
Since I lost ground again, I could only rank in top 20 now in PvE and PvP
Apr 2016: with new characters coming out all the time, combined with the extremely long time to power them up, the game seemed pointless, so I quit again

(5 months pass)

Sept 2016: got bored one day and started playing again; discovered SCL and got 400K+ ISO at Level 47, which lifted my spirits to continue on
Oct 2016: Focusing my effort on getting 4* covers and leveling them up, but 5* land is the ultimate goal, I'm currently at SCL 54
What's driving me now is that I can see steady 4* progress and by the time that's done, my 5*s should be mostly covered for leveling up
But I know that if I don't pace myself, I'll get burned out again and quit, which isn't so bad because there are better ways to spend my time

Bottom Line: It's sad that I've spent 508 days playing this game but I can only rank between 20 and 50 now because I've quit 3 times before. I once could hit #1! Nevertheless, my progression is much better than before, so I have hope to continue on and move up in rank. I guess that fills some psychology need I have to improve.

Comments

• mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    For a few months, I got bored from lack of progress and started playing khux and ffbe. Also I didn't really have a good time to play and was very busy.

Now that SCL is here and I have two hours of train time every weekday, it's easier to get back into it.

When I need a break from mpq (gasp!), instead of going back to khux and ffbe, I watch netflix on the train, because each one of these games must be played mercilessly or else not at all... they can't really be played casually, because then you don't get anywhere, and you miss out on a lot.
  • RoboDuck
    RoboDuck Posts: 142 Tile Toppler
    Not outright quit, but there was a 2 month period where I only did seed teams & DDQ. Was a good break.
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    For about 8 hours, every night.
  • Punter1
    Punter1 Posts: 728 Critical Contributor
    This isn't far off my experience (even with the Candy Crush prior game), though I played daily through my breaks just cos I was addicted to the streak. I'm at day 989! I only just champed my 39th 3*, and am making slow 4* progress. I'm at shield rank 56. Stalled right now with tokens and CP available, as I've 3 5* in my q and not got the HP to roster so can't open any more for fear of another new character.

Played slowly to begin with, then lots through the back half of '14 while building 3*s, then not much at all for over a year until a few months back when I found out about champing and have been playing as much as I ever have recently. Issue recently has been the number of missing characters I've had to find spaces for, almost there now but the constant new releases makes the HP demands tight as a F2Per

Bottom Line: It's sad that I've spent 989 days playing this game but I can only rank between 20 and 100 now because I've quit before. I once couldn't hit #1!! Nevertheless, my progression is a little better than before, so I have hope to continue on and move up in rank. I guess that fills some psychology need I have to improve.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    I quit for about 18 months after the nerf to 3* Mags. Came back to the game to find DDQ which has kept me playing at a limited level ever since.

Currently have 33 3* champs, and 2 4*s with 12 covers (Fury and Grider) that I suppose will fuel my entry into 4* land over the next several months.

I am currently placing about 200 - 300th in events and have no plans to start trying any harder, so my progression will be glacial, but that's fine.
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    I did just DDQ for 3 seasons after some real life stuff made MPQ less of a priority. I'm currently on a break from competitive play to just have fun again and take advantage of the decent roster I've managed to put together.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was in the same boat as Jamie, only I knew I couldn't just do DDQ, so I uninstalled the game for several months. I came back for Anniversary, am curious to see the Dr. Strange release, and then will likely return to retirement.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    If/when I quit, I most likely won't come back.

I played Everquest back in the day and quit when I went to college. I tried to return about a year later and was completely overwhelmed by all the new features and systems, plus my character was just so far behind the curve I couldn't possibly catch up without playing 24/7 for weeks.

Obviously MPQ is a much simpler game so learning all the new stuff would be easy, but that feeling of being months behind the curve would just be too demoralizing, I think.
  • thisone
    thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
    Jarvind wrote:

I played Everquest back in the day and quit when I went to college. I tried to return about a year later and was completely overwhelmed by all the new features and systems, plus my character was just so far behind the curve I couldn't possibly catch up.

Key to catching up was always getting in with a good guild. Similar to mpq in a lot of ways in that respect. Evercrack. Fond memories.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jarvind wrote:
    If/when I quit, I most likely won't come back.

I played Everquest back in the day and quit when I went to college. I tried to return about a year later and was completely overwhelmed by all the new features and systems, plus my character was just so far behind the curve I couldn't possibly catch up without playing 24/7 for weeks.

Obviously MPQ is a much simpler game so learning all the new stuff would be easy, but that feeling of being months behind the curve would just be too demoralizing, I think.

It is disappointing to fall behind, but I think to myself that the people on top are addicted to the game, much like a drug. They spend all their time and money to get their "high". Perhaps we should call them addicts instead of whales. On a side note, my best friend played Everquest non-stop from the initial alpha testing for the next 2 years. He had many high level characters that he would later sell to people for a couple hundred dollars each (real money). He later regretted those years of spending 14 hrs a day playing a game.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yupp, I'm probably famous for my original retirement post: https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=36107&hilit=returned

But that only lasted for a couple of weeks until I finally officially retired: https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=38185

Then I recently came back a few months later after SHIELD Rank was released: https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=50389&hilit=+returned
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    thisone wrote:
    Jarvind wrote:

I played Everquest back in the day and quit when I went to college. I tried to return about a year later and was completely overwhelmed by all the new features and systems, plus my character was just so far behind the curve I couldn't possibly catch up.

Key to catching up was always getting in with a good guild. Similar to mpq in a lot of ways in that respect. Evercrack. Fond memories.

I was actually in one of the top guilds on my server (first to beat the Rathe and kill Quarm, that kinda thing). I could've gotten gear, but getting all the old storyline flags and stuff would have taken ages, and I just wasn't into it.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    To be fair, I played the original Puzzle Quest on my Nintendo DS for hundreds of hours, and when I saw that there was a new one for mobile phones, I was hooked before I even began.

My senior year of college, I played ROMs on my computer of every single SNES RPG, so I would say I'm probably the target demographic for this game.
  • elvy75
    elvy75 Posts: 225 Tile Toppler
    I downloaded game in November 2013, played for a few days and forgot all about it. In the end of January I started playing for real, and had only one break last December due to family issues. Other than those two breaks I never really wanted to quit
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    mpqr7 wrote:
    To be fair, I played the original Puzzle Quest on my Nintendo DS for hundreds of hours, and when I saw that there was a new one for mobile phones, I was hooked before I even began.

At one time I had the original Puzzle Quest on every platform for which it had been released. When I heard "Marvel" and "Puzzle Quest," I was, like you, hooked before I began. Yes, even though MPQ is much more simplistic than the original Puzzle Quest was.

That said, I DID quit for several months, but it wasn't because of nerfs or anything else. I started playing before the Steam Cloud feature was active for MPQ, and I had my 'main' account on my desktop and my 'for funsies between classes' account on my laptop since I spent most of the day at university on class days (made no sense to drive 20 minutes to school for one class, go home, then go back later that day, etc).

The Cloud went active without my realizing, and the 'for funsies' account overwrote the 'serious' account in the Cloud. When I got home and my desktop downloaded the 'for funsies' account, I played a match or two before I realized something was seriously wrong. When three days later customer service still had no idea what had gone wrong or how to fix it, I uninstalled the game.

Came back several months later when alliances became a thing and a bunch of my internet friends started playing and formed an alliance.
  • Captain_Carlman
    Captain_Carlman Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    I just recently came back from a two month break. Played every once in a while because it just felt like I wasn't making any progress for months. To put it in perspective, I'm currently on day 953 and I JUST got my 3-stars champed during the Anniversary event last week. The RNG has never been kind to me and I've never been able to place high enough in any event to win "good" prizes, so it was getting frustrating.

It sucked because I really do enjoy the game, but I just couldn't devote the amount of time required to progress at anything more than a glacial rate. I decided to give it another shot when I was bored one day after reading about some of the newer stuff on the forums here, since I still checked them out every few days, and was interested in checking out some of the newer events like Civil War and stuff. I play at a rate similar to what I did before, but definitely feel like the meta game has looooooong since passed me.
  • Copps
    Copps Posts: 333 Mover and Shaker
    Well I played for quite awhile near release. Had ten maxed three stars and my xforce in mid 200s when four star Thor came out and I got kinda bored and left. I came back for a little while around the first anniversary and then stopped for quite awhile again. Came back just after champ levels and made pretty good progress on champing my three stars and picked up some new five star covers. I stopped during the summer since I was out of service and working too much. Now I'm back just champed my last three star I've got four four stars champed (xfw, iceman, hulkbuster, and fury.) trying to get my two stars back up and running then time to push four stars.
  • D26
    D26 Posts: 16 Just Dropped In
    I'm 90% retired now. I got back into competitive play for about a month around the anniversary but I realized spending 4 hours a day banging my head against a wall for little progression just wasn't worth it. I'll still do DDQ just I keep up my days played streak and keep leveling 3s in case I decide to play more regularly again, but for now I find myself much happier.
  • Jabrony_Geoff
    Jabrony_Geoff Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    I quit after level 5 of Boss Rush.
    I returned at the start of the next event. icon_lol.gif

The common denominator in the majority of the posts above is the time needed to play the game.
    To be specific PVE.

Someone from the alliance I'm in quit recently because of time constraints.
    With that in mind I would take another clear off a node.

Its currently at 6, take it down to 4 or 5.
    Its just nonsensical to keep this current businesses/Gaming model in place with the knowledge that it upsets so many people.

Why do you want to upset people ?
  • Jabrony_Geoff
    Jabrony_Geoff Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    Yupp, I'm probably famous for my original retirement post: https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=36107&hilit=returned

But that only lasted for a couple of weeks until I finally officially retired: https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=38185

Then I recently came back a few months later after SHIELD Rank was released: https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=50389&hilit=+returned

Just read some of your old post. Really powerful insight into life as a MPQ player.
    How you quit the gym for Mpq, etc
    Maybe you should post an update on how you balance, home, work and your gaming life.
    I know most would be interested