Best and Least favorite 3*

Options

Comments

• OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 692 Critical Contributor
    Options
    My favorite 3* is Scarlet Witch. You don't need to do anything and she'll give you free purple AP, and sometimes blue AP. Thanks! Daken is also good at just sitting back and doing his thing. Iron Fist and Iron Man are also great, of course.

Least favorite is Vision -- 5* match damage you have to pay AP for? no thanks. I also find Psylocke peculiarly weak.
  • Zyrook
    Zyrook Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I think my favorite is Bullseye. He's by no stretch the best (Switch, Fist, KK, and IM40 are way more useful) but he's fun to play. It makes matches play like actual puzzles, trying to find a way to ensure that Bullseye is the one to deliver the finishing blow to trigger his ability. His Green feeds into that or can trigger cascades to enable your other characters, and his purple does decent damage and can either clear opposing tiles or make space for more friendly.

Least is Sentry and Rags. They don't deal nearly enough damage to justify hurting the team, and they're both generally lack luster. I'd still have them sitting at 120 if not for champing.

Special mention goes to Vision. I actually like his design, but good lord does it have a shelf life. The second you start using 4*s he's done.
  • Alsmir
    Alsmir Posts: 508 Critical Contributor
    Options
    So, what's wrong with Vision?

I just champed him and since I don't have 3* Cap yet, I started using Im40+KK+Vision. I'm really pleased with that team and I find Vision very usefull in that combo.
  • bonham2
    bonham2 Posts: 20 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Patch is a beast as long as you can take out the enemy strike tiles he creates. I'll either wait until a lot of purples can be matched easily or I'll play with Moonstone or Daredevil. She-Hulk is ok because she'll weaken and redistribute. Also, Squirrel Girl is awesome there because the strike tiles power up her purple ability. I'll usually play Human Torch with a strike tile person to power up his green, either 5* OML or Blade. If his green is fully powered and I use OML's black strike tile power, I'll take out 3000-4000 HP per turn with just matching.
  • aa25
    aa25 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    In term of fun to use:
    Favorite:
    3BE (His animation and his passive.),
    QS (Setting board up with his black for whatever reason is always a fun in a game when you don't need to rush.)
    Gamora (Her black is pretty fun, well, in the right team)
    shulk (Her green; She helps me punch above my weight way so many times (Shulk+im40+3Cage(5red) = no match damage & no ap power).)

Least favorite:
    GSBW (even 2 successfully executed recharge can't fill her green)
    3Thor (too slow)
    Doom (too slow)

Obviously, I prefer fast-pace characters over the slow ones.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think the answers here really depend on where your roster is. favorites for top players with 4* and 5* rosters will heavily lean to ap generators like fist, witch, and im40. my guess is that primary 3* players will lean more towards damage dealers like fist, cyke, and cmags. personally I'd add ap deniers like hood and loki. if I had to pick 3 favorites it might be im40, cmags, and hood (a hybrid group).

least favorites are pretty consistent across the board. my bottom ones are ock, sentry and either pun or psylocke (can't decide).
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    aa25 wrote:
    shulk (Her green; She helps me punch above my weight way so many times (Shulk+im40+3Cage(5red) = no match damage & no ap power).)

I've gotta try this team, never thought of it as a denial team (I've been using Hood in place of IM40). What do you do for offense? Blast teams with Shulkie's red and IM40's blue?
  • Zyrook
    Zyrook Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Alsmir wrote:
    So, what's wrong with Vision?

I just champed him and since I don't have 3* Cap yet, I started using Im40+KK+Vision. I'm really pleased with that team and I find Vision very usefull in that combo.

Vision basically has the same problem as Hulk; functionally speaking he's locked in 3* land. Once you begin transitioning into 4*s he instantly stops being even usable. Sure, if he's doing the matching he has insane match damage or damage reduction based on CD rather than special tiles. But once other characters start matching instead of him all of his powers just turn off.

Compare to the other 3*s. Most of the higher ranked ones will serve through the transition into 4*, and some make regular appearances on teams well into the 4-5 transition. AP generation, board shake, stun, special tile generation, all of these are skills that make the transition while Vision very expressly does not do this.

Granted I personally like Vision. I think his design is neat, but as a 4* player I have a hard time using him. When I have to its either I specially use weaker characters, build him around his yellow to deal with special tiles (though why would I when Doc Oc, Antman, and Jean Grey exist?), or just ignore him.
  • aa25
    aa25 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Dormammu wrote:
    aa25 wrote:

I've gotta try this team, never thought of it as a denial team (I've been using Hood in place of IM40). What do you do for offense? Blast teams with Shulkie's red and IM40's blue?

That's right. Shulk's red and IM40's blue are the main offense. Although, I use Shulk's red mainly to refresh the board and the damage dealt is just a bonus (at 5 red, she wipes 25% of the board at the bottom where most of the unmovable tiles are). Prioritize Yellow and green. If no good match can be made, use Shulk's red. Use Shulk's green when you have 12-18 ap. Spam it until the ap for dangerous power is 0.

I like this team since it is very puzzle-ish oriented. It is quite slow, but very fun. Hope you like it. icon_e_smile.gif

Builts: Shulk(3/5/5), Cage(3/5/5), IM40(3/5/5)
    Cons: Can't handle Carnage, Hulk, Rulk, 3Marvel, etc.
  • Pogo
    Pogo Posts: 185 Tile Toppler
    Options
    My favorites:

Magneto: I run 5/3/5 and usually don't bring another active yellow. Every one of his powers is satisfying to me.
    Vision: I was ambivalent about him until both his allies were down and he was adding Heavy damage to every single match in a 7-match cascade. I sometimes pair him with a lower-level Magneto so Yellow doesn't go to waste.
    Iron Fist: The attack tile is nice, but the cheap purple is the fun part for me (and he pairs well with Magneto or Vision).
    Black Widow: It can be a chore to gather green, but I like the part where you choose the target tile for Sniper Rifle & figure out which spot will get you the best board control.
    Doctor Octopus: His green is ****, but it's fun to have a version of Illusions that actually does something.

My unfavoritests:

Beast: Boring to use.
    Daken/Falcon: Useful sometimes, but double-passive leaves a feeling of lack of agency.
    Spider-Man: 100% support is so frustrating. None of his powers give that exciting feeling.
    Hulk: Have to get damaged on purpose; have to be careful not to hurt your own team
    Sentry: Never worth it.
  • pizzaburger
    Options
    Favorite: Cyclops. I love the amount of damage he does and how each power feeds into other powers. It's easy, no frills damage.

Least Favorite: Sentry. Every power has a drawback, so you have to think twice before using any of them. Not a fan.

Honorable mentions: Iron fist, Luke Cage, Kamala Khan, Grey Suit Black Widow, Captain America, Blade

Dishonorable mentions: Beast, Ragnarok, Psylocke
  • OneLungDave
    OneLungDave Posts: 72 Match Maker
    Options
    Besides Sentry and Rags, I think the rest of the 3*s are all viable in the 3* world. (If you have the properly leveled 4/5*s, you don't care about 3*s anymore, thus this thread isn't for you.) The obvious teams of SW/BWGS or Hood/Cap/SW are great, but everyone can be used in a feasible and/or entertaining fashion.

For those who dislike Beast or Psylocke, try pairing them together with Bullseye. Cheap special tiles for days!
    Not a fan of Punisher? Add Blade and IM40. You may never need to use IM40's redflag.png or blueflag.png powers once you get the strike/attack tiles going and 1 shot with Punisher.
    Can't find a use for Vision? Add KK and Fist and never worry about getting below 75% health because blueflag.pngyellowflag.png and purpleflag.png powers only cost 5ap!
    Gamora and Groot are slow, but paired with Mystique they can speed up a bit, have full rainbow coverage, and give you big time strike tiles.

tl;dr: Toss Sentry & Rags, enjoy the rest in some form or fashion.
  • DTStump
    DTStump Posts: 273 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Besides Sentry and Rags, I think the rest of the 3*s are all viable in the 3* world. (If you have the properly leveled 4/5*s, you don't care about 3*s anymore, thus this thread isn't for you.) The obvious teams of SW/BWGS or Hood/Cap/SW are great, but everyone can be used in a feasible and/or entertaining fashion.

For those who dislike Beast or Psylocke, try pairing them together with Bullseye. Cheap special tiles for days!
    Not a fan of Punisher? Add Blade and IM40. You may never need to use IM40's redflag.png or blueflag.png powers once you get the strike/attack tiles going and 1 shot with Punisher.
    Can't find a use for Vision? Add KK and Fist and never worry about getting below 75% health because blueflag.pngyellowflag.png and purpleflag.png powers only cost 5ap!
    Gamora and Groot are slow, but paired with Mystique they can speed up a bit, have full rainbow coverage, and give you big time strike tiles.

tl;dr: Toss Sentry & Rags, enjoy the rest in some form or fashion.

I agree with all that but I'd even include Rags in the "niche uses" group. He pairs decently with:

- KK and Mohawk Storm: Rag provides a spammable red for healing purposes, adding blue to the board, using blue to add green charged tiles, which you can fetch with KK purple and Storm green.

- Vision and Quicksilver: Vision can tank all his three colors, Rags makes sure you never run out of blue with his red power, and Quicksilver and Vision benefit from extra blue alignments. Quicksilver green provides very cheap damage with all those blue matches, and his black helps keeping the ball rolling.

Sentry though... not even once.
  • SirLanik
    SirLanik Posts: 345 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    stark0719 wrote:
    Least favorite(s) vision, quicksilver, and falcon.
    Favorites thor, MK40, logan, and Daredevil.

Funnily enough, Quicksilver, Bullseye, and Kamala make my top three, with IM40, Daredevil, and Colossus being my least.

I enjoy the versatility/control/aoe of Quicksilver, I love going bonkers with strikes on Bullseye, and Kamala is just all around great.

I hate how IM40 basically wins if he gets 6 yellow, I hate all of Daredevils abilities (blue and red are bad, and purple scaling with number of enemy tiles means no guaranteed amount of damage, so in a lot of fights he just sits around and does less than nothing), and I just dislike Colossus trying to be a tank, but not being a good tank.
  • Beastwood
    Beastwood Posts: 68 Match Maker
    Options
    Rocket and Groot - My own personal "Muscle" good for taking big hits too if i cant match tiles (things like hitman sniper rifle etc) once it gets low match yellow, heal and cascade the board
    Blade - I really like the way he's just there causing all sorts of problems when left unchecked, draining ap, producing strike tiles and his DoT purple is really evil when you've got a lot of strike tiles out
    Kamela Khan of course, heals on power use and the big punch to the whole enemy team and green production tho i tend to use her purple to protect my R&G strike tiles by turning blues green
    Iron man... nothing needs to be said really, generate a ton of ap, powerful red attack, powerful blue attack to all, a literal can of whoop ****

Others well grey suit widow, creates a good few crit tiles, sniper rifle is a heavy weight attack on the whole team, red can used to get rid of pesky tiles in corners
    Iron fist/luke cage, mostly for the free tiles which are strong for no cost...
    Black Panther, a proper swiss army knife character mostly working behind the scenes like blade for me
    Cyclops by far the best damage dealer i have, i dont think anyone i have punches as hard as he does

Least used - Vision, Human torch, cpt marvel and the hulk
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,117 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    aa25 wrote:

If you want to go pure AP denial, try She-Hulk, Hood and Loki. Not much in the way of offense, but it's VERY unlikely they'll get any abilities off. As you said, this team can punch WAY above it's weight in PvE. PvP...not so much.

My favorite pure 3-star team is Cyclops at 3/5/5, Cap at 3/5/5, and Kamala Khan at 5/3/5. It's my go-to team on the Big Enchilada.
  • deadtaco
    deadtaco Posts: 409 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Least favorite -

Sentry
    She Hulk
    Beast

Favorites -
    IM40
    LCap
    BW

Bonus fav - Vision. I don't get the hate. He is perfect for lower level node elimination. Pair him with IM40 and you soon have the blue and red needed to end the node.
  • Aerospade777
    Aerospade777 Posts: 36 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Top 3: Kamala Khan, Doctor Strange, Cyclops
    Bottom 3: Ragnarok, Sentry, Vision
  • Roland113
    Roland113 Posts: 298 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    My two favorites are Blade and Dr. Strange. Pair the two of them up with Thor and you fly through the PvE rounds. With Strange and Blade, I almost never get to the point that I need Thor's Call the Storm, the match is over before I get that far.

Least favorite, well Rags and Sentry certainly, though they've been covered extensively above. Gamora and The Punisher are both pretty low on my list as well. I just don't typically find much of a use for either.
  • Alkyoneus
    Alkyoneus Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'm happy to see Bullseye getting some love in this thread. He's a lot of fun when he can tank his colors. Of course I always enjoy using IM40 and Scarlet Witch, they are the 3 stars that have carried through to 4 star land for me and beyond. I hardly ever use Iron Fist anymore, I find him lacking in today's environment.

Nearly every 3 star has a use, and I still enjoy using them when they are featured. The only exception would be Sentry - when they nerfed him, they hit him so hard he'll never get used by me again. The only other 3 stars I haven't (nor will I ever) champion are Gamora and Doc Ock. They are very, very bad characters and could benefit greatly from a re-work along with Sentry.