A new low

Pylgrim
Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
edited October 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Carnage + 2 Muscles in the Blade essential node in Venom Heroic.

So from a very limited selection of your roster, you must form a team of 2 characters to face this monstrosity. Every turn, Carnage triggers 4 times off the Muscles abilities, then, if a single Threaten resolves, you are dead. Basically you have 4-5 turns to deal a total 40-50k damage with two characters and no chance of winfinite.

Boss Rush doesn't hold a candle to this level of unfairness.

Comments

• Redrobot30
    Redrobot30 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    This node was basically IM40 and Peggy holding down the fort since Blade is basically a worthless meat shield at this point. I only have 1 yellow of Peggy's but it was enough to get by with only using 3 health packs total in order to farm the CP out of the node. Peggy's Blue stun helped a ton in this node as well. I can't imagine trying to beat this node without her. My Peggy is boosted to lvl 255 3/1/4 for what it's worth...
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    just hit that node and came here to see if there was a thread yet.

it is ridiculous, especially in an heroic event.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    This sub event sucks in general. Most of the nodes consisted of freaking Carnage.. it sucks versus in him with a limited roster. The 3* recruit was Colosuss.. seriously.. what is he gonna do except sit there taking damage?
  • Mr_Sinister
    Mr_Sinister Posts: 356 Mover and Shaker
    Yeah was def junk. I wiped twice because the board was missing yellow, and when it did drop muscle used CD on it.

I'm not looking forward to the final grind.
  • kidicarus
    kidicarus Posts: 420 Mover and Shaker
    im40, peggy, pun. collect 6 yellow and then press the powers in the correct order.

also if board sucks retreat. It's good that the penalty for retreating is no longer 1/3rd of your health isn't it?
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    kidicarus wrote:
    im40, peggy, pun.
    Pylgrim wrote:

Emphasis mine.

The retreating advice is certainly valid (and useful!), but it's kinda hard to use a 3-character combo on an essential node, you know?
  • kidicarus
    JHawkInc wrote:
    kidicarus wrote:
    im40, peggy, pun.
    Pylgrim wrote:

Emphasis mine.

The retreating advice is certainly valid (and useful!), but it's kinda hard to use a 3-character combo on an essential node, you know?

Fair enough on pun. yes blade is also annoying reducing red to 8 when you have 9.

Also good that there's that one node that everyone finds difficult - better for high level placement. I much prefer that to having easy welfare nodes that everyone can complete.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    JHawkInc wrote:
    kidicarus wrote:
    im40, peggy, pun.
    Pylgrim wrote:

Emphasis mine.

Exactly, that's the cincher. Only having 2 characters from a limited selection is what impedes coming up with good enough strategies. Pun + Peggy is too slow (and so are X-Force + Xpool) And any of them plus an accelerator like OBW or IM40 is too fragile and luck-dependant. Both Daredevil and SG are normally good against Carnage but their 3* HP makes them topple hard even without Threaten tiles.
    Also good that there's that one node that everyone finds difficult - better for high level placement. I much prefer that to having easy welfare nodes that everyone can complete.

In theory, yes. In practice, such unfairly difficult nodes are highly reliant in luck. For example, I wiped at least thrice because the turn before I was going to use someone's powers, a collapsing Threaten CD tile caused a 10k+ damage cascade that outright killed that character. That didn't happen to you? Congrats, top placement is randomly going to be awarded to you because I'm out of Health packs so I'll have to wait several hours, losing hundreds of points.
  • kidicarus
    Pylgrim wrote:
    JHawkInc wrote:
    kidicarus wrote:
    im40, peggy, pun.
    Pylgrim wrote:

Emphasis mine.

Exactly, that's the cincher. Only having 2 characters from a limited selection is what impedes coming up with good enough strategies. Pun + Peggy is too slow (and so are X-Force + Xpool) And any of them plus an accelerator like OBW or IM40 is too fragile and luck-dependant. Both Daredevil and SG are normally good against Carnage but their 3* HP makes them topple hard even without Threaten tiles.

im40 is not too fragile. He's boosted currently and for me has 19.7k health. Works well with peggy - she tanks everything for im40. the limited selection is what makes the heroic - heroic.

This is not the first time we've seen the carnage and muscles combo in a heroic, but this is definitely one of the easier times thanks to the availability of im40.

edit:

i retreated twice on my opening 4x grind when it looked like i would lose less health from retreating than letting the cd tiles resolve.

Random luck has nothing to do with it. If i don't get the placement i'm looking for - it's usually entirely my fault.
  • Tromb2ch2
    Tromb2ch2 Posts: 301 Mover and Shaker
    If my blade wasn't 0/2/2 this would be a lot easier. Having one red (I assume) would make this fight soo much more bearable.
  • spectator
    spectator Posts: 395 Mover and Shaker
    Having a red makes it harder if you're running Peggy and need 9 red ap. It drops to 8 next turn whenever you happen to collect 9
  • METT-T dependent
    METT-T dependent Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
    Im40/2* cap work just fine, just slower. Stun Carnage and keep destroying countdowns with Cap's shields.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    I laughed at a new low on an event that has been run dozens of times. Dozens!
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Don't worry, we're all struggling on that one.

I've retreated twice and wiped once on my initial four clears, and still finished them first in my bracket.

Yes, it's playing the lottery, so is 90% of the rest of the game.

Just give yourself an extra 15 minutes for the end grind.

Edit:
    But wait, wasn't Caranage supposed to NOT have Scythes on all goon nodes? Was that change ONLY for Venom Bomb?
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Don't worry, we're all struggling on that one.

I've retreated twice and wiped once on my initial four clears, and still finished them first in my bracket.

Yes, it's playing the lottery, so is 90% of the rest of the game.

Just give yourself an extra 15 minutes for the end grind.

Edit:
    But wait, wasn't Caranage supposed to NOT have Scythes on all goon nodes? Was that change ONLY for Venom Bomb?

Only for Venom Bomb. Even then , Scythes isn't the dangerous thing about this node. The dangerous thing about this node is those automatic attack.png tiles plus a threaten going off.
  • Mattjimf
    Mattjimf Posts: 139 Tile Toppler
    i've just been running xpool/xfwolvie for the essential nodes, gather as much purple for count down to what, and hope that xpools black will also kick in.
  • Zappa
    Zappa Posts: 102 Tile Toppler
    Got through 4 clears of it, wiping once, with IM40 + champed Xpool
  • phiwalker
    phiwalker Posts: 15 Just Dropped In
    Holy ****.

I also came here to post a thread about it if anyone else hadn't.

I'm not as advanced as some, and have a IM40 1/5/5, but don't have Peggy at all.
    I'm running with Daredevil 3/5/5 as my other guy with only a beginner Blade at 0/0/1

Sigh....I managed to beat it once just barely.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    The problem is not Carnage, it is the two feeders + char. Even doc Oc with two feeders, feeding him green, makes him really dangerous (firing Armed and Dangerous every two turns). But the 2Muscle+Hood is also a nightmare node.

Of course, two muscles in any node is also a nightmare scenario. Muscles should have been nerfed A LONG time ago.
  • Evilgenius_9
    Evilgenius_9 Posts: 132 Tile Toppler
    Beat it my 4 times with 251 boosted xdp, 281 im40 and one green blade 4* - no wipes. Patience is key. Don't start firing powers until you can kill carnage, and match away his attack tiles and countdowns rather than feeding your powers. Blade is mostly a meat shield, don't think I fired his power on either of the last 2 clears.