PVP matchmaking

Crnch73
Crnch73 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
edited October 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
So, I can only assume this is normal for everyone, but something has started to catch my eye in PVP:

If I do not have the required character for the event and need to use the loaner... or I do own the character but they are underleveled... I face mostly teams with the required character under level 200 (often at 145). However, when I own the character and they are highly leveled, I only see teams that are extremely high leveled, regardless of my recent play-level or placement.

Why is it that, someone who barely plays PVP and never ranks very highly, gets matched up with much better opponents (for the same amount of points as ever) just because I have a better required character? It doesn't seem fair that I play against harder competition solely based on one character, rather than my (lack of) skill level in PVP. If I have 2 highly rated characters and a lowly required character, I face easier competition than if I have a high required character and the rest of my group is "meh".

Comments

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Because MMR only looks at your roster, placement and previous performance does not factor in.
  • Crnch73
    but why does 1 character make that difference? for example, let's use the current "Doctor's Orders" PVP

If I did not have Doom championed, I would face lower leveled opponents, regardless of the rest of my roster.

But, I do have Doom champed, so I face opponents that are 2-3 times as hard.

The required character's level on my team dictates my opponents, not the rest of my roster. One character ruins my event.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Crnch73 wrote:
    but why does 1 character make that difference? for example, let's use the current "Doctor's Orders" PVP

If I did not have Doom championed, I would face lower leveled opponents, regardless of the rest of my roster.

The required character's level on my team dictates my opponents, not the rest of my roster. One character ruins my event.
    And your undercovered, under levelled Blade will give you an easy time in his PVP.
    It is what it is.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    Interesting. I would delete all my 3*'s.. see if this helps your matchmaking
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Crnch73 wrote:

The matchmaking is determined by the strongest possible team you could play in that tournament. If you don't have the featured character, the "strongest possible" team is a lot weaker since you need to use the featured character.
  • Crnch73
    right, but my point is:

why does the one required character do that to my event? As mentioned, shouldn't my entire roster dictate the opponents? Even with a championed Dr. Doom, I should see at least one opponent who doesn't also have a champed Doom. It feels like I am beating my heat against the wall because, though I will probably roll with Doom, Switch (low level) and maybe Fist (low level), the opponent rolls with Doom and 2 4* characters. Or 2 3* that are also in the 300 range due to boosts. My one character being boosted means I don't even hit 300 points.

my roster is still in the 3* range, trying to make the jump to 4*... I have no one rated higher than 185 except for the few random 5* that are unusable for me. I play much higher competition than I am capable of matching just because I have the required character at a high level, not because I have a good roster.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Crnch73 wrote:
    right, but my point is:

why does the one required character do that to my event? As mentioned, shouldn't my entire roster dictate the opponents? Even with a championed Dr. Doom, I should see at least one opponent who doesn't also have a champed Doom. It feels like I am beating my heat against the wall because, though I will probably roll with Doom, Switch (low level) and maybe Fist (low level), the opponent rolls with Doom and 2 4* characters. Or 2 3* that are also in the 300 range due to boosts. My one character being boosted means I don't even hit 300 points.

my roster is still in the 3* range, trying to make the jump to 4*... I have no one rated higher than 185 except for the few random 5* that are unusable for me. I play much higher competition than I am capable of matching just because I have the required character at a high level, not because I have a good roster.
    Because that one character makes the team you field A LOT stronger. Surely you understand why a 290/255/255 team is stronger than a 145/255/255 team?
  • Crnch73
    Because that one character makes the team you field A LOT stronger. Surely you understand why a 290/255/255 team is stronger than a 145/255/255 team?

Of course I understand that. But my team is 290/167/174... they weren't supposed to count 5* so much unless they were better covered. I understand that if I have good characters and just choose to not play them, that's basically my fault. But if my best possible team (omitting the 5*) for this PVP is 298/250/187, then I shouldn't see 320/320/300 teams on a regular basis.

And furthermore, If I run a team of 145 (required char)/290/290, I see much easier matches. Those are nearly identical in number averages, so it makes no sense.
  • cyineedsn
    cyineedsn Posts: 361 Mover and Shaker
    Crnch73 wrote:

Of course I understand that. But my team is 290/167/174... they weren't supposed to count 5* so much unless they were better covered. I understand that if I have good characters and just choose to not play them, that's basically my fault. But if my best possible team (omitting the 5*) for this PVP is 298/250/187, then I shouldn't see 320/320/300 teams on a regular basis.

And furthermore, If I run a team of 145 (required char)/290/290, I see much easier matches. Those are nearly identical in number averages, so it makes no sense.

This thread seems to be going in circles. You are wondering why with a 298/250/187 team, you aren't seeing similar teams? Well, the simplest answer is, there probably aren't many teams like yours, so you are being included in the pool of teams where people have a champed doom, unfortunately for you the people with champed doom also have alot of other champed characters.
  • Crnch73
    cyineedsn wrote:
    This thread seems to be going in circles. You are wondering why with a 298/250/187 team, you aren't seeing similar teams? Well, the simplest answer is, there probably aren't many teams like yours, so you are being included in the pool of teams where people have a champed doom, unfortunately for you the people with champed doom also have alot of other champed characters.

wouldn't that only make sense in a few examples though? Unless you are saying I have the weirdest roster ever (possible), then this wouldn't happen EVERY PvP, but rather only on occasion. I have seen a simple pattern. Have the required character above base level? Competition = much harder. Don't have required character, or have them very low? Competition = much easier.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Crnch73 wrote:

The cover thing goes for all characters, not just fivestars. The loaner character only has one cover in each color, so it is considered significantly weaker for the purposes of matchmaking.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Crnch73 wrote:
    my team is 290/167/174
    Crnch73 wrote:
    I have no one rated higher than 185 except for the few random 5*
    Crnch73 wrote:
    I understand that if I have good characters and just choose to not play them, that's basically my fault.

Sounds like this problem is basically your fault.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    Crnch73 wrote:

I have doom champed and fought PLENTY of ones not fully covered or leveled but usually backed up by other champs.

(one was with 5 widow that i THOUGHT had 2 covers but was one shotting whoever she touched)
  • Crnch73

thanks? quite helpful trolling
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    Crnch73 wrote:

There's not much help people can give scaling in this game is always something no one likes.

And everyone hates people who soft capped because they leveled their characters up and face exponential scaling instead. (this game uses a lot of exponential as opposed to linear)

The issue is you didn't soft cap, they are all champed/ boosted.

it's just the way of the game
  • Crnch73
    GurlBYE wrote:

There's not much help people can give scaling in this game is always something no one likes.

And everyone hates people who soft capped because they leveled their characters up and face exponential scaling instead. (this game uses a lot of exponential as opposed to linear)

The issue is you didn't soft cap, they are all champed/ boosted.

it's just the way of the game

I understand, and begrudgingly accept that part. I guess I just don't see how, if I average the top 2 players PLUS the required character, the scaling doesn't stay the same. If I have 2 boosted characters up to near 300, but the required character I use is 145, I shouldn't see easier matchups than when I have the required boosted to 300 but the top 2 others are under 200. If the average number of my top 3 stays roughly in the same neighborhood, the opponents shouldn't change so drastically, IMO. I was basically just venting and asking if anyone has experienced this... I wasn't looking for a witch hunt or a pity party.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Crnch73 wrote:
    the top 2 others are under 200

Stop lying. Your top 2 others are at least 255.

Your question has been answered. You said your highest level character is 185 which I believe boosts to 271. So if you ave 2 boosted 185s and a loaner your team is 145/271/271 (not exactly the "near 300" you claim.) If you have a boosted featured character your team is 290/255/255. It should be painfully obvious exactly why you are seeing harder teams.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    Crnch73 wrote:

I thought my post above was more trolling than this icon_lol.gif

Anyways, we understand your concern and many of us have similar questions when it comes to matchmaking and scaling but unfortunately we do not know how the devs developed this. It's been a confusion since the game was released. Sometimes I see high level teams much higher than me, while other times I face teams much lower than me.. I wish I knew why but I just play the game as best as I can and hope I place and progress well.
  • Crnch73

Your question has been answered. You said your highest level character is 185 which I believe boosts to 271. So if you ave 2 boosted 185s and a loaner your team is 145/271/271 (not exactly the "near 300" you claim.) If you have a boosted featured character your team is 290/255/255. It should be painfully obvious exactly why you are seeing harder teams.

Thank you very much for the attempt at talking down to me. I actually, no sarcasm, get a kick out of people being morons while trying to be all tough and all-knowing. I truly enjoyed you calling me a liar, I laughed out loud a little. More like a chuckle, but still...

The all important veil of online anonymity, everyone becomes the toughest guy in the world. Forums, where the meek inherit the earth.
  • grunth13
    grunth13 Posts: 608 Critical Contributor
    Crnch73 wrote:

Thank you very much for the attempt at talking down to me. I actually, no sarcasm, get a kick out of people being morons while trying to be all tough and all-knowing. I truly enjoyed you calling me a liar, I laughed out loud a little. More like a chuckle, but still...

The all important veil of online anonymity, everyone becomes the toughest guy in the world. Forums, where the meek inherit the earth.

I think what they are trying to tell you is that even when you you don't have the any boosted characters except the required character, you still have the 5's that increase your levels. We were told that 5's would not account for in our MMR equation, but as of yet they have not been able to take that coefficient out of the equation. Therefore, even though you don't use those 5's, you are still penalized because you have them rostered. I hope that helps in some way.
This discussion has been closed.