Should the AI be smarter?

13»

Comments

• Marty17
    Marty17 Posts: 503 Critical Contributor
    I'm already annoyed with AI having fortunate cascades in which happens to destroy your tiles & somehow preserving theirs. The thing that's irritating me thus far is the AI ALWAYS matches yellowtile.png even though they have no use of it, & if they do that whilst it's dumb, it'll aggrevate me even more when they do it tactically.
  • Crnch73 wrote:

I am not saying the tiles are predetermined, but the AI definitely knows what is coming next. I have seen a red/green/yellow character choose to make a 3-black match with multiple red matches available, and I look on with a puzzled expression... only to see the new tiles drop from the top, make a red AND yellow match, and start a cascade that I could not have foreseen. I don't consider it cheating, but anyone who claims the AI doesn't know what tiles will drop where is burying their head in the sand.

Just out of curiosity, in this situation, did you have a character who had a black active ability that had you made that match, would've been able to fire off? i.e. Did the AI make the match to block your ability rather than knowing there was a cascade about to happen?

If the AI knew how to pre-empt casecades, why does it not do it at every opportunity? Maybe if RNGesus.next mod 4 = 0 then cascades?
  • mckauhu
    mckauhu Posts: 740 Critical Contributor
    Should the AI be smarter? NO. It's already annoying enough.
  • an1979
    an1979 Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    StarScream wrote:
    If you could show proof of the AI missing a match five or even passing up match four for a three that would be great. I have yet to see it. The opposite in fact. My matches often set them up for a match four or five.

The never intentionally makes a 'T' or 'L' match-5. According to the devs, it's only programmed to make linear matches, and only recognizes strings of 4. It is programmed to always take a match-4 over any match-3. Anytime it makes a linear match-5, it's happenstance. So yes, you can see it select a match-4 over a match-5, and I see it miss those non-linear matches all the time. Depending on the color and board layout, I leave match-4s all the time, so I can "dictate" the AI's next move. Bonus if I am running Loki icon_lol.gif

That changed somewhat.
    The AI certainly sees 5-in-a-line now.

It will match it even if there are mach-4 in its strongest colour and the 5 is in weak colours/TU after TU was used.
    It is not by an accident.

It does not USE match-5 in T-shape or L-shape but it SEEs it and is programmed to TRY to NOT make 5-match out of it if "downgrading" it to match-4 is possible.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    The AI picks colors that "power abilities" over ones that don't. I put that in quotes because goon abilities (self-generating) and passive abilities (no cost) still count. That said, it will take any match 4 or linear match 5 over any other match.

Beyond that, it doesn't plan, it doesn't block or try to deny you your colors, it doesn't seek out your special tiles or preserve its own. It definitely doesn't set up cascades for tiles that aren't on the board yet.

It does get lucky, as do you. When it gets lucky, you wipe or suffer a lot a damage requiring health packs, or lose points in PVP. When you get lucky... you win a little bit faster.

I would not like a smarter AI that avoids matching away the countdowns it just laid, actively targets my special tiles, avoids match 4s in colors it can't use, etc. etc. Fights take too long, in general. Anything that extends them is unwelcome.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    No, AI doesn't need to be more efficient. As it is, the game is tilted against players in that you have health to be concerned about whereas the AI is only worried about damage. Hence why you see people like Sentry, Carnage, Ragnarok etc. being effective because the AI doesn't care how much health it loses, just how much damage it deals to the player. The game is already grindy and challenging enough and the AI is already lucky enough with its cascades imo.