The Hunt, harder to get T100?

broll
broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
edited October 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Is it just me or does if feel a lot tougher to get T100 in The Hunt SCL7? Typically when SCL is active I don't bother trying to get a placement reward. I play at my pace and focus on top progression. However, doing that I usually pretty easily get T100, a few times I've been closer to T50. With The Hunt having the Blade 4* reward and the almost certain-hood that he will be essential in Venom:Heroic I am trying to get T100 this time. I didn't think that would be a problem as I typically get that without trying. However I'm finding my self in the last 4.5 hours fluctuating between 110 and 80 nervous I might not get it. Is it seeming harder for others? I was expecting if anything it to be easier since this is gated off to only people in SCL7 vs everyone. IDK. At the end of the day it doesn't matter, just curious if this is just me.

Comments

• Lukoil
    Lukoil Posts: 266 Mover and Shaker
    As far as i know CL doesn't gate you from other CL people. CL only affect final rewards for people. Not the bracket
  • Handoftheking26
    Handoftheking26 Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    Any time there is a new character release it seems to me like placing is more difficult. Everyone wants the new toy.
  • alphabeta
    alphabeta Posts: 469 Mover and Shaker
    New release PVE is always more competitive that 'normal' pve - there are a load of PVP players who normally avoid PVE like the boring time suck it is but will come across for a new release to grab the covers they need for the new character.

Maybe an event that would have been worth dropping to SCL6 if you wanted to easier ride on a new release - big PVP rosters will drop into SCL7 most of the time for the ISO/4* covers
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    Personally I am a T25-50 PVE player. The past few 4* released I have been in tough brackets, finishing in the 90's! However, this event with CL7, I am in my normal T25-50 range. Maybe I actually secured an easier bracket than the last few 4* releases. 4* releases are just tough and competitive in general to place if you aren't grinding everything. At least now we have the new 4* in progression the next PVE.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    As long as you do 6 full clears per sub (more on the 2-day subs, around 9 or more total), you should be able to get top 100 pretty easily. If you don't do that many clears (say you want to enjoy the weekend and not play the game), then you might not get it.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,790 Chairperson of the Boards
    For me that was one of the easier new 4* pve's. I only did each run 4 times and except the last sub which I grinded to 6 and placed 25th. I was expecting T80-100. Normally I have to work my **** off for t100.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    On a new release, your best bet is to go full on with it if you want to place well.
    4 clears as a sub event opens, preferably hitting the highest scoring one as quickly as possible to set its countdown timer going sooner rather than later so it's worth more points on the final grind.
    On a 48 hour sub event, hit each pin once, again starting with the highest earner and moving downwards.
    When a sub event is ending, I usually leap in with 2 hours to go to make sure but YMMV, start grinding away. Hit each one three times to get the point value to 1.

Don't neglect the required character yellow nodes either, make sure to hit those once a day and then grind them to 1 point when the event is ending. Make sure to grind them to 1 if they're within a sub event and not just sat in the main event screen.
  • beyonderbub
    beyonderbub Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    I feel like I've been optimal clearing down to 1 point for all nodes and I'm only in 16th place with the final clear left to go tonight before 11PM est. The difference between my score and top 10 was only a couple hundred. The main difference is because I'm slower to clear my nodes than my competition. Using 4* deadpool / Xforce wolvie / iceman who are all champed and boosted in this event and just collecting purple and black to power up Countdown for What and surgical striking after to take out the big targets. I guess I could use boosts to get it going quicker
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    It probably also doesn't help that both IM40 and Iceman are boosted for this event, making clearing nodes fast and easy if you have them (well, at least Bobby. IM40 is just gravy). The faster folks can clear out nodes, the easier it is for them to get top points in the beginning and end of node rotation.

What really sucks is a Heroic right after obtaining a new character. That, on top of Sam Wilson and OBW being the other required characters promises to make Venom Heroic a nice, long slog.
  • Jdob84
    Jdob84 Posts: 32 Just Dropped In
    broll wrote:
    Is it just me or does if feel a lot tougher to get T100 in The Hunt SCL7? Typically when SCL is active I don't bother trying to get a placement reward. I play at my pace and focus on top progression. However, doing that I usually pretty easily get T100, a few times I've been closer to T50. With The Hunt having the Blade 4* reward and the almost certain-hood that he will be essential in Venom:Heroic I am trying to get T100 this time. I didn't think that would be a problem as I typically get that without trying. However I'm finding my self in the last 4.5 hours fluctuating between 110 and 80 nervous I might not get it. Is it seeming harder for others? I was expecting if anything it to be easier since this is gated off to only people in SCL7 vs everyone. IDK. At the end of the day it doesn't matter, just curious if this is just me.

I think its just the bracket you are in. I am facing the same thing. I have been doing 7-8 clears per sub, and have been BARELY making t100 each sub. (Granted I had a couple of grinds that weren't optimal points), but I am definitely in a difficult brackets with 9hrs to spare I am at #68 waiting until the last hour to do the final 2-3 clears to make sure I get the t100 placement award.

Bottom Line: new character events are hard.. New character events in a competitive bracket are even harder.. Hang in there!
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    madsalad wrote:
    It probably also doesn't help that both IM40 and Iceman are boosted for this event, making clearing nodes fast and easy if you have them (well, at least Bobby. IM40 is just gravy). The faster folks can clear out nodes, the easier it is for them to get top points in the beginning and end of node rotation.

What really sucks is a Heroic right after obtaining a new character. That, on top of Sam Wilson and OBW being the other required characters promises to make Venom Heroic a nice, long slog.
    Not too long with Peggy and IM40 available
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've been sitting top 50 for most of the event; after sub 1, I was around 18th or so, but the only nodes I'll 6x clear in a grind-down are the trivials and anything that's goon-only.

I don't have remotely the patience necessary to do a 6th grind on nodes that are scaled to 272+ with Dark Avengers in them.

Nopenopenopenopenooooooooooope. Nope. Nope.

So that means I've fallen back from top 20 to a finish that's going to be somewhere between about 35th and 100th. I'm okay with that. I get the new toy and there's a second cover coming in progression for the Heroic.

But for where I'm at, I'm getting there basically by playing for progression and getting a friendly bracket.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Nope. Not on a new release. I do not want this Blade. However I do want the iso, XP, HP, CP, tokens, covers, etc., so I am doing 6 clears each. Not paying any attention to refresh, or timeliness. not going back after the 6th clear of anything to pick up any dregs. With 2 clears left on the last sub, I am 107th. I'm doing those last clears many hours early, in hopes of falling even lower in the end.

Note that I did NOT play as inefficiently as possible, Didn't have the discipline to play 6x straight through, to minimize my points. Even so, I am not top 100.

This is a 'your experience may vary' thing. I'm also just clearing 6 per sub. I late joined S5, joined w/ ~7 hours left in 1st sub. My final grind is 3 hours early and my initial grind on the 2nd sub was 10 hours late. I've finished T50 in both subs so far.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    alphabeta wrote:
    New release PVE is always more competitive that 'normal' pve - there are a load of PVP players who normally avoid PVE like the boring time suck it is but will come across for a new release to grab the covers they need for the new character.

Maybe an event that would have been worth dropping to SCL6 if you wanted to easier ride on a new release - big PVP rosters will drop into SCL7 most of the time for the ISO/4* covers

Agreed, but I had no problems with any of the recent ones, Luke Cage 4*, Gwenpool, etc. Even compared to those this seems tougher to me.
    mpqr7 wrote:
    As long as you do 6 full clears per sub (more on the 2-day subs, around 9 or more total), you should be able to get top 100 pretty easily. If you don't do that many clears (say you want to enjoy the weekend and not play the game), then you might not get it.

6-9 full clears is not easy in general so no...
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    I feel like I've been optimal clearing down to 1 point for all nodes and I'm only in 16th place with the final clear left to go tonight before 11PM est. The difference between my score and top 10 was only a couple hundred. The main difference is because I'm slower to clear my nodes than my competition. Using 4* deadpool / Xforce wolvie / iceman who are all champed and boosted in this event and just collecting purple and black to power up Countdown for What and surgical striking after to take out the big targets. I guess I could use boosts to get it going quicker

While you have a great team its not really state of the art for top end pve play. In this event peggy/ice/im40 are all buffed. The best performing rosters are running champed peggy/ice/im40 with champed 5* to mow down the trivials in this event. The people who play for Top 1/2 are separated by mere minutes. Modern PVE is just a speed game played on schedule. The overall mechanics for optimal strategy are pretty well understood and practiced by people who compete for top 10. The only real differentiator between top 10 players is their rosters.

The rotating buffs masks the true strength of a roster but in general

buffed champed 4* >champed 5*>nonchamped 4

When you have the right combination of 4* buffs, you will be more than competive with bigger rosters.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Play when you want

As long as you don't care about new release placement
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phumade wrote:

While you have a great team its not really state of the art for top end pve play. In this event peggy/ice/im40 are all buffed. The best performing rosters are running champed peggy/ice/im40 with champed 5* to mow down the trivials in this event. The people who play for Top 1/2 are separated by mere minutes. Modern PVE is just a speed game played on schedule. The overall mechanics for optimal strategy are pretty well understood and practiced by people who compete for top 10. The only real differentiator between top 10 players is their rosters.

When you have the right combination of 4* buffs, you will be more than competive with bigger rosters.

Buffed champed 4star are indeed the difference in scoring. And it was painfully clear how much of an advantage it gives capped (intentional or not) rosters. A 4star scaling roster can take out a hard node with one champed Iceman green and maybe a punch to mop up, whereas my champ 5 roster needed 2-3 activations in the Iceman essential node. That's a huuuge speed difference.
  • dsds
    dsds Posts: 526
    I intentionally try to do badly the event before. I find that if I do well in the previous event, it's almost like they save a spot for me on one the first brackets that opened up. It's nothing like what the guys watching the bracket sizes says it is.

On the other hand slice 4 is crazy competitive, I hate having to stay up late to finish my 4 clears in slice 5 to get even a chance at getting 1 new cover.
  • beyonderbub
    beyonderbub Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    Phumade wrote:

Thanks man, I hear ya and appreciate that. Not really complaining. I kind of know my place in this. Just glad I'm placing that well in comparison. While I can switch over to Iceman/IM40, my Peggy is a few covers short (5/3/3) of being able to level max and champ and my OML (only lvl 360) get's subbed in for XForce wolvie on the 3 trivials (easier) nodes - I should have specified. I noticed that I probably take too long on clears bc I'm not getting it done faster than 1.5 hours or less. What would be helpful is if folks who know better/haivng success with a particular team would post the go-to A team for each event in the Events subforum. Maybe I'll max Peggy as far as I can and switch to the above mentioned team for tonight's final clear. still continuing to build a wider roster and soft capping my 5's for the most part (not enough ISO to go around anyway)
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanks man, I hear ya and appreciate that. Not really complaining. I kind of know my place in this. Just glad I'm placing that well in comparison. While I can switch over to Iceman/IM40, my Peggy is a few covers short (5/3/3) of being able to level max and champ and my OML (only lvl 360) get's subbed in for XForce wolvie on the 3 trivials (easier) nodes - I should have specified. I noticed that I probably take too long on clears bc I'm not getting it done faster than 1.5 hours or less. What would be helpful is if folks who know better/haivng success with a particular team would post the go-to A team for each event in the Events subforum. Maybe I'll max Peggy as far as I can and switch to the above mentioned team for tonight's final clear. still continuing to build a wider roster and soft capping my 5's for the most part (not enough ISO to go around anyway)
    IM40/Iceman/3*DP is working for me for clearing fast. IM40 gets his yellow off and DP can slice all 3 of them if you've made any red matches, this brings them down within range of Ice's Green AOE (which should be ready if you've made any green matches). If your purple (almost said pink!) is ready, use that before Green. And then you can stun one survivor (if any), punch the other one (if more than one lived), and still have blue to stun the third (if there happened to be one). It's pretty quick, even for the high HP rounds. You may have to collect more Yellow when everyone is stunned and get IM40 to go off again... hopefully he's rested up a bit while you were smashing everyone else.