I remember the Captain Falcon fight was going to get tweaked

Dragon_Nexus
Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
edited October 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
I believe her energy absorbtion used to generate black as well. So now that it only generates red, that's pretty good.

Would have been nice if her red didn't delete ALL protect tiles on the board though. Why are we asked to fight someone who's obviously our hard counter? I mean sure if she removed, like, 5 of them or something then that's annoying but salvagable. But removing all of them means I have to sit and wait on this board full of nothing but purple, black, blue and green (every time. Every single time) until i can scrape together 9 yellow and try again.

I suppose my big problem is my Cap is 5/5/2. So even with everything else he still hits like a legless sheep.

Comments

• Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Why are we asked to fight someone who's obviously our hard counter?

That's the "P" in MPQ.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    You just build up yellow and red until you can do a massive one-shot attack.

Another cool tip: if she casts blackflag.png on you, then keep matching bluetile.png to increase the strike.png she gives you.

If your red isn't at 5 covers, then yeah it will be pretty tough!
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    My 120 3/5/4 made it on the second try.

boosted with +2 red/yellow AP, +2 rainbow AP,

Saved up 9 yellow, and 28 Red, then when a good amount of yellow on the board I used Yellow, Red, Red. Dead. The LT gave me icon_blackbolt.png
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    It definitely was tweaked. Both her black and her yellow are below max - I think she has a 5/3/4 build.

She's still monstrously tough, though. As you say, she's FalCap's hard counter. I have 272 FalCap and lost the first time - that Red is just so tinykitty expensive...
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Had a heck of a time winning this one with a level 172 falcap with 4 red. Last time I pulled the 5th red and it made it much easier.

This DDQ is all about do you have 5 red in FalCap or not...and did you get a decent board to make that red work. This is one reason why I always thought FalCap is one of the weakest 4* characters....

Here (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=51073) is where they mention they'll make some of the hard ones easier.
    First of all, we looked at how players did for each featured character and made a few missions easier. These characters are Invisible Woman (Classic), Jean Grey (All-New X-Men), Sam Wilson (Captain America), Star-Lord (Legendary Outlaw), Wolverine (X-Force), Mr. Fantastic (Reed Richards), X-23 (All-New Wolverine) and Spider-Gwen (Gwen Stacy).

Hoping that MrF (The WORST 4* character) match is actually fixed when his turn comes up...that's another one that is terrible.
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 568 Critical Contributor
    The problem is that the fight seems to rely on either luck or having 4 or 5 red covers. People like me with 5/3/2 are going to have a bad time unless we're really lucky while someone with 2/3/5 is going to build up their red ap and smoke Captain Marvel.
  • jgomes32
    jgomes32 Posts: 381 Mover and Shaker
    I have a 3/2/3 level 168 Falcon. Only got to fire red once in 6 tries and it's only 7k damage. It's too expansive to get enough AP to fire twice in row. Only a lucky board can help me and i hate that.
  • StevO-J
    StevO-J Posts: 751 Critical Contributor
    "tweaked" /= "free LT"

You are right about that, no argument there.

But I can't help but feel "tweaked" /= "easier than before" in this case. I have no real problem with not getting this particular LT (3/5/2 Flaptain can't get it done in my case), but fighting a 5/4/4 Marvel instead of a 5/5/5 doesn't really change much I think, 4/5/5 would have been a bigger change for example.
  • Nellobee
    Nellobee Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    jgomes32 wrote:
    I have a 3/2/3 level 168 Falcon. Only got to fire red once in 6 tries and it's only 7k damage. It's too expansive to get enough AP to fire twice in row. Only a lucky board can help me and i hate that.

Really, that is a the only big problem with failcap-the red is too expensive. Drop the ap cost by a few and he become reasonable.
  • irwando
    irwando Posts: 263 Mover and Shaker
    JVReal wrote:
    My 120 3/5/4 made it on the second try.

boosted with +2 red/yellow AP, +2 rainbow AP,

Saved up 9 yellow, and 28 Red, then when a good amount of yellow on the board I used Yellow, Red, Red. Dead. The LT gave me icon_blackbolt.png

Meanwhile my 127 4/5/4 has tired 15 times with various combos of boosts with no luck.

This match much more than others is about luck - luck in praying Marvel doesn't cascade into red/black. I can deny all i want, but with an unlucky starting board or a couple of unlucky falls, I'm dead. Got to 27 red AP once before one cascade and 2800+ damage to me.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    It's been done with a 2/4/1 build..... and that was when she was still 5/5/5.
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 568 Critical Contributor
    It's been done with a 2/4/1 build..... and that was when she was still 5/5/5.

Here's a quote from the guy who beat it at 2/4/1 from the last cycle when he was up to 4 red covers:
    This is such a troll matchup from demi. Flaptain needs lots of red covers and such a specific board layout to event have a shot. Just completed 11 tries. Even with 7800 health and 4 red covers, I survived long enough to collect 14 red and 9 yellow just 4 times, and on none of those occasions there was never enough yellow on the board for me to win. (note that I didn't boost my match damage and could probably have won at least a few of those 11 tries of I had). I have never survived long enough to collect even 20 red ap, let alone 28. icon_e_sad.gif
  • danielrandkai
    danielrandkai Posts: 90 Match Maker
    Having her yellow not return black and her black not stunning for 2 turns does make it easier. But yes, like most fights, it is cover dependent. Is that so much of a surprise?
  • I got it done with a 1/4/2 level 152 captain falcon.

The black has been reduced enough that you can take a couple hits from it which means you don't need to try and deny black. You still need to deny red and you don't hit her until you can do enough damage to down her. I saved up 28 red AP while hiding from her match damage behind a wall of shields.
  • LFChikarason
    LFChikarason Posts: 401 Mover and Shaker
    This is the first time I was ever able to beat Carol with Flaptain. Mine's currently 5/5/2 level 209. It was close (was down to 500 health) but I was very proud of myself when I beat it.
  • dsds
    dsds Posts: 526
    It was definitely a hard fight even with my newly champed falcap. I lost once and really depended on a board with lots o red. Then the yellow was short so I had eat a few of her matches and a black power before there was enough yellow to down her.

Got a bruce banner for my troubles. First bruce cover so far!
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    The key is approximating what Dive-bomb's maximum damage is likely to be, then wearing her down (denying red and black) until she has that much HP left and hitting her with the Wings of Liberty/Dive-bomb combo. For my Falcap at lv150 with 4 Red covers, I calculated that with an average of 8 yellow tiles on the board, that was 3700+(8*564)=8212.

You should only use Wings of Liberty prematurely if you're sure you can deny her red completely and want to take the edge off her match damage. Don't use Dive-bomb prematurely as she'll almost certainly generate enough red AP for Photonic Blasts, which leads to cascades that can wipe you out.

Naturally, you also need luck on your side to ensure that you can deny red and black effectively.
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    My flaptain is 5/3/5 level 165. I hit my yellow then immediately hit red and one shot smoked her. She had almost 18K health left. I'm tempted to champ him. He's a pretty good support character. My only drawback is that he is red yellow blue like literally every other good 4* I have.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Gave my Cap 10 more levels, getting him up to 200. I tried a few more times and just squeaked by.

She took a few matches that wouldn't have helped her as much, like going for a yellow when a black was available. Took a while, built up 30 red and just hit her all at once when she had 6800 health left. Here's how weak he is with 2 red, with a bunch of defense on the board it still took both shots to finish her off.
    I maintain lowering her red a little would have made this a little more acceptable.

Got a blueflag.pngicon_mrfantastic.png from it too. Yay...
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    Most of these "challenges" are how many covers and how much iso do you have in a character you have no intention of using.

A challenge or puzzle would be handing everyone the same tools and seeing what we do with them, but I guess that'd actually be something fun everyone could participate in weekly for a reward. icon_e_confused.gif