Comments

• TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    Options
    A MESS!!!!! Smh.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Reading the new skills, it was obvious that this power wasn't meant to make matches, it was meant to make countdowns in strategic locations so they have a better chance of surviving, to overwrite undesirable enemy tiles, and to help fuel his red. That's already a pretty solid skill -- adding match-5 board control and creating another skill that can directly fuel its own reuse in a predictable way was obviously an oversight.

Look at it this way: the devs fixed it before people could get too used to using it that way.

Anybody that blew the entirety of their stockpiled resources on him purely because of this effect did so because they were hoping to get in early on an effect they had to know on some level was going to get nerfed.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    N-n-n-nerf!
  • HxiiiK
    HxiiiK Posts: 195 Tile Toppler
    Options
    DayvBang wrote:
    That's already a pretty solid skill -- adding match-5 board control and creating another skill that can directly fuel its own reuse in a predictable way was obviously an oversight.

*cough* Classic Magneto *cough*

Quite frankly these oversights are quite bothersome. I wonder what D3 could do about them... Oh hey, how about doing actual play testing?

As many posts above said, many players already found the utility for it way before the dev team did. Maybe if they actually paid some attention to the player base or did any play testing this wouldn't go the way it did. Veterans know all too well what this could do since we relied heavily on Patchneto way back when.

tl;dr - D3/Demiurge play test your game before releasing it. These fails on your behalf are really embarrassing, detrimental and not to mention, extremely irresponsible. I'm glad I didn't jump immediately on the SL bandwagon
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    Options
    DayvBang wrote:
    Anybody that blew the entirety of their stockpiled resources on him purely because of this effect did so because they were hoping to get in early on an effect they had to know on some level was going to get nerfed.

MPQ: Assume developer competence at your peril.
  • theshadeofopal
    theshadeofopal Posts: 93 Match Maker
    Options
    I absolutely understand why this happened, but maybe up the damage a little now? The color change gave it a bit of versatility but now it compares directly to mind over matter and not well, doing around 4000 less damage and negating half the tiles. It might have a bit of an advantage vs a single target but not enough. I know jean purple is a crazy strong move but you can't just have weaker version of it thats attached to countdown tiles. At least gatling gun is a full strength version of pre nerf x-force that happens to be attached to countdown tiles.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,274 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It's like noone actually tested him before the release!

Snark aside, maybe they don't have a "tester" that's super knowledgeable about every combo in the game and
    it just went over their head... Still, the nerf was expected.

While you're at it, could you tone down the animations on his Yellow passive? Feels like I'm gonna have a seizure.
    It comes up every time an ability is used, and it even comes up every time one of the CD resolves. Its excessive and slow.
  • DAC169
    DAC169 Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'm surprised no one's said this yet, but
    COUNTDOWN TEAM-UP TILES ARE NOW A THING!!!
    Hilarious! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,154 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You know, what one or two employees can uncover while testing something over the course of what I imagine is anywhere from a few days to a few weeks, is a far cry from what can get uncovered in a 24-hour period by tens of thousands of players.

Due to the nature of hot fixes, it's also likely that a brief window of user-testing is intentional. It's not as if they released something that broke the game due to poor coding. They put effort into rebalancing a character, and sometimes balance takes a little back and forth.

It's also very possible that they were 100% aware of what the updated Star-Lord could do with his purple countdowns, but did not expect that this utility would outweigh his other abilities and so significantly shape our playing style with him. They wanted him to play as a more useful character that paired well with a variety of other characters, versus give him a single feature that caused everyone to feel obligated to pair him with Professor X, thereby once again limiting the rosters we see in PvP or play with ourselves. If you'll recall, it was the lack of roster variety that helped push them into making these rebalances in the first place.

If you want everything to be flawless right from the get-go, then you need to expect one of two sacrifices: infinitely fewer characters released at a cadence of one every few months, or increased pushes to get us to spend money, because additional QA staff will cost them.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2016
    Options
    mega ghost wrote:
    You know, what one or two employees can uncover while testing something over the course of what I imagine is anywhere from a few days to a few weeks, is a far cry from what can get uncovered in a 24-hour period by tens of thousands of players.

Due to the nature of hot fixes, it's also likely that a brief window of user-testing is intentional. It's not as if they released something that broke the game due to poor coding. They put effort into rebalancing a character, and sometimes balance takes a little back and forth.

It's also very possible that they were 100% aware of what the updated Star-Lord could do with his purple countdowns, but did not expect that this utility would outweigh his other abilities and so significantly shape our playing style with him. They wanted him to play as a more useful character that paired well with a variety of other characters, versus give him a single feature that caused everyone to feel obligated to pair him with Professor X, thereby once again limiting the rosters we see in PvP or play with ourselves. If you'll recall, it was the lack of roster variety that helped push them into making these rebalances in the first place.

If you want everything to be flawless right from the get-go, then you need to expect one of two sacrifices: infinitely fewer characters released at a cadence of one every few months, or increased pushes to get us to spend money, because additional QA staff will cost them.

You are right to some extent. But this wasnt a case where 10k pkayers can run around in the game sandbox and stress the software in interesting new ways. This was a basic design problem that has occured before in this game. Powers with placeable tiles are very powerful, and demi controls them pretty tightly. There are only a few that allow for multiple tiles to be placed, and their interaction with prof. X is a well understood system for both players and devs.

It's not at all implausible that no one at demi caught it during design, but given the particular facts of this issue, it would have been very possible for demi to notice it before going live.

In any event, i am not convinced that the issue was especially significant, relative to other winfinite engines that exist in the game. Demi could have announced that were aware if the issue and were monitoring gameplay data before making any changes (they are certainly willing to do that in other contexts. icon_e_wink.gif ). That would put everyone on notice without the risk of over-reacting.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It is funny because when the rebalance first came out I was more excited about 3 tiles being able to over write CD more then the winfinity combo. Here is the thing about I would say about making a winfinity combo. Number 1 winfinity combos are good for players to find. They are really strong for PVP and give players hope against overscaled nodes in PVE and boss battles. Number 2 winfinity combos don't always work especially against overscalled bosses and the hardest PVE nodes. Scaling causes bigger match damage and if theses characters are not on the weekly buff list 1 power could potentially kill your winfinity combo aka the glass cannon. Number 3 if you don't want winfinity combos in the game get rid of the impossible boss battle scaling. It is one thing to creat a huge health boss it is another to set them up to win in 3 moves and expect us to use anything other than a winfinity combo.
    I am personally fine with the changes to starlord with this patch. I will use him the way I originally though I would, but what is sad is starlord would encourage more players to champion Pro X compared to keeping him under leveled for a winfinity combo. also the combo would not be that broken because you would need to gather 8 purple tiles and then have a lot of purple on the board to keep the winfinity going. You could probably get 3-4 match 5's before there is not 2 purples lose to each other. When you compare this to GSBW BW can board shake with sniper rifle to add more green to the board when it is empty. The board shake winfinity combos are more sustainable in the long run.
  • monsieurmojo
    monsieurmojo Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    wymtime wrote:
    The board shake winfinity combos are more sustainable in the long run.

À la Hulkfinite against Boss Rush. Got far deeper than I should have been able to just on the virtues of that combo.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I am just glad that they killed this infinite combo with a simple, quick change that didn't remove functionality. Last time they nerfed an infinite combo (2* mags +mystique) they felt the need to completely alter their powers (undeniably for the negative, at least in Mystique's case) when a simple change in colour would have broken the combo. New Star Lord is still a fun and powerful character.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Man, this is really a dumb move. This was by no means a broken power, it was a nice bonus to the power, the ability to get match-5s, but it was nothing like Magneto's classic old blue ability, nothing it really needed to be fixed. And if this is changed at least make damage of purple stronger...

Seriously, so many other broken things Devs need to patch this ability? Fix the damn scaling, and make token covers colorless and leave Starlord be!
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yup, a nerf within a day of a boost. Par for the course for the devs. Well, thanks for reverting him back to garbage before I had a chance to dump any ISO into him. I'll patiently await your next inevitable debacle.
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    Options
    So... there's this...

From the 3* Thor character page:
      Call The Storm - Green 14 greentile.png
      Thor summons a violent storm to smite the enemy. The rage of the heavens rains down on the battlefield, dealing 236 damage to the target and 118 damage to other enemies.
        Level 2: 330 damage to target. 165 damage to other enemies. Level 3: 424 damage to target. 212 damage to other enemies. Level 4: 520 damage to target. 260 damage to other enemies. Level 5: 614 damage to target. 307 damage to other enemies.
      Max Level: 4518 damage to target. 2259 damage to other enemies.

From the new Star-Lord stats:
        Sleight of Hand 10 purpletile.png
        Peter pulls the old switcheroo and swaps one of his enemy's possessions with a little surprise. He turns selected tiles into 3-turn Purple Countdown tile which deal 83 damage to the enemy team plus additional 157 damage to the target.
          Level 2: Countdown tile deals 296 damage, plus 148 damage to the entire team. Level 3: Can select Countdown tiles. Creates 2 3-turn Countdown tiles that deal 148 damage to the enemy team plus an additional 296 damage to the target. Level 4: Creates 2 2-turn Countdown tiles that deal 277 damage to the enemy team plus an additional 517 damage to the target. Level 5: Creates 3 2-turn Countdown tiles that deal 277 damage to the enemy team plus an additional 517 damage to the target.
        Max Level:
          Level 3: Creates 3-turn purple countdown tiles that deal 288 damage to enemy team plus and additional 578 damage to target. Level 4: Creates 2 2-turn Countdown tiles that deal 540 damage to the enemy team plus an additional 1011 damage to the target. Level 5: Creates 3 2-turn Countdown tiles that deal 650 damage to the enemy team plus an additional 1011 damage to the target.

Granted, the infinite move possibility did need to be removed, but if you're going to do that, you need to address just how weak purple really is. At max level 3* Thor outruns max level Star-Lord's team damage by 309 per character (total of 618), and Star-Lord's single-target damage is only 465 higher than Thor's.

This is a net deficit of 153 damage points between Thor and Star-Lord in the 3* character's favor. They're on completely different rarity/tiers! Yes, the ability to overwrite 3 special tiles for 4 fewer AP tips the scales a little in Star-Lord's favor overall, but green acceleration is every bit as much of a thing as purple acceleration, if not better (see KK + IM40).

Not to mention... this is assuming all of Star-Lord's CDs even manage to finish. We all know how likely that is.

Yes, I absolutely see the value in having Star-Lord's purple to ramp up the damage to his red, but with the damage as pathetic as it is, I don't know why you'd ever want to build him as 5/x/x and only use it as an accelerant to his red damage. Aside from the fact that you have to let his CDs finish, you also need to remember to select the target you want damaged the most before those CDs finish counting down.

I'm still excited for the change and am working on champing him since I have him at 13 covers with one waiting, but this purple is so much more underwhelming now.
      • Pylgrim
        Options
        Smudge wrote:
        So... there's this...

Thor summons a violent storm to smite the enemy. The rage of the heavens rains down on the battlefield, dealing 236 damage to the target and 118 damage to other enemies.
            Level 2: 330 damage to target. 165 damage to other enemies. Level 3: 424 damage to target. 212 damage to other enemies. Level 4: 520 damage to target. 260 damage to other enemies. Level 5: 614 damage to target. 307 damage to other enemies.

Peter pulls the old switcheroo and swaps one of his enemy's possessions with a little surprise. He turns selected tiles into 3-turn Purple Countdown tile which deal 83 damage to the enemy team plus additional 157 damage to the target.
              Level 2: Countdown tile deals 296 damage, plus 148 damage to the entire team. Level 3: Can select Countdown tiles. Creates 2 3-turn Countdown tiles that deal 148 damage to the enemy team plus an additional 296 damage to the target. Level 4: Creates 2 2-turn Countdown tiles that deal 277 damage to the enemy team plus an additional 517 damage to the target. Level 5: Creates 3 2-turn Countdown tiles that deal 277 damage to the enemy team plus an additional 517 damage to the target.
            Max Level:
              Level 3: Creates 3-turn purple countdown tiles that deal 288 damage to enemy team plus and additional 578 damage to target. Level 4: Creates 2 2-turn Countdown tiles that deal 540 damage to the enemy team plus an additional 1011 damage to the target. Level 5: Creates 3 2-turn Countdown tiles that deal 650 damage to the enemy team plus an additional 1011 damage to the target.

Granted, the infinite move possibility did need to be removed, but if you're going to do that, you need to address just how weak purple really is. At max level 3* Thor outruns max level Star-Lord's team damage by 309 per character (total of 618), and Star-Lord's single-target damage is only 465 higher than Thor's.

This is a net deficit of 153 damage points between Thor and Star-Lord in the 3* character's favor. They're on completely different rarity/tiers! Yes, the ability to overwrite 3 special tiles for 4 fewer AP tips the scales a little in Star-Lord's favor overall, but green acceleration is every bit as much of a thing as purple acceleration, if not better (see KK + IM40).

Not to mention... this is assuming all of Star-Lord's CDs even manage to finish. We all know how likely that is.

Yes, I absolutely see the value in having Star-Lord's purple to ramp up the damage to his red, but with the damage as pathetic as it is, I don't know why you'd ever want to build him as 5/x/x and only use it as an accelerant to his red damage. Aside from the fact that you have to let his CDs finish, you also need to remember to select the target you want damaged the most before those CDs finish counting down.

I'm still excited for the change and am working on champing him since I have him at 13 covers with one waiting, but this purple is so much more underwhelming now.

Call the Storm
            4518/14= 322.7 damage per ap to target
            2259/14= 161.4 damage per ap to other 2 enemies

Sleight of Hand
            4983/8= 630.5 damage per ap to target
            1950/8= 243.7 damage per ap to other 2 enemies

Additionally, SoH disables enemy special tiles, benefits thrice from strike tiles and powers up his red and Drax's black.
          • Smudge
            Options
            Pylgrim wrote:
            Smudge wrote:
            So... there's this...

Max Level:

Call the Storm

Sleight of Hand

Additionally, SoH disables enemy special tiles, benefits thrice from strike tiles and powers up his red and Drax's black.
                Fair enough, but your numbers are off on damage/AP because it's a cost of 10, not 8. Yes, it's still the better skill all things considered, even refactoring damage/AP to 10 (498.3 single, 195 others). I'm just pointing out that green is far easier to accelerate, and Thor's damage output is still nearly equivalent or better.

Edit: This also only considers the fact that all 3 CD tiles survive. They may be 2 turn CDs, but how often do all 3 Recharge tiles survive unless you've done serious board control of yellow (and even then mine get eaten by match-4s)? I'm not denying that SoH is better than CtS. Just that it's underwhelming compared to the recent power creep.
              • Pylgrim
                Options
                Smudge wrote:
                Pylgrim wrote:
                Smudge wrote:
                So... there's this...

Max Level:

Call the Storm

Sleight of Hand

Fair enough, but your numbers are off on damage/AP because it's a cost of 10, not 8. Yes, it's still the better skill all things considered, even refactoring damage/AP to 10 (498.3 single, 195 others). I'm just pointing out that green is far easier to accelerate, and Thor's damage output is still nearly equivalent or better.

Edit: This also only considers the fact that all 3 CD tiles survive. They may be 2 turn CDs, but how often do all 3 Recharge tiles survive unless you've done serious board control of yellow (and even then mine get eaten by match-4s)? I'm not denying that SoH is better than CtS. Just that it's underwhelming compared to the recent power creep.

The thing is that this is your theoretical conclusion. I've been playing with him for days now. I know that 70% times I've cast that power it cost me 8 because his yellow cd was out. Also, since I can place the cd tiles wherever I want, including TU tiles, the likelihood of them surviving the 2 turns is higher than most other cd abilities. He's good, legit. I'd definitely would take him over an LThor boosted to 290 or so.
                  • Smudge
                    Options
                    Pylgrim wrote:
                    Smudge wrote:
                    Pylgrim wrote:
                    Smudge wrote:
                    So... there's this...

Max Level:

Call the Storm

Sleight of Hand

The thing is that this is your theoretical conclusion. I've been playing with him for days now. I know that 70% times I've cast that power it cost me 8 because his yellow cd was out. Also, since I can place the cd tiles wherever I want, including TU tiles, the likelihood of them surviving the 2 turns is higher than most other cd abilities. He's good, legit. I'd definitely would take him over an LThor boosted to 290 or so.
                        Great to hear since he's my next champion project, then! I'm more than happy to be wrong in this case icon_e_wink.gif