Vote in the Combined Arms Obvious Hyperbole Poll!

Comments

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    I find this amusing considering Combined Arms use to be viewed as one of the most hated PVP events icon_lol.gif
  • spatenfloot
    spatenfloot Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    I find this amusing considering Combined Arms use to be viewed as one of the most hated PVP events icon_lol.gif
    That is because it doesn't really work as a 1/2/3 due to Jugs being in every fight.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm going to comment on aspects of your post. My replies are in bold and in italics

El Satanno wrote:
    For the first time in ages, I am actually excited to play an event. Yes, I play every one to max progression and beyond but sometimes (often?) it feels more like work than anything else. Combined Arms has been the liveliest, most refreshing, and fun event to come around since...well maybe since last time it ran! I'm not the only one who thinks like this.

You have me to thank for combined Arms, I asked for it in one of my post and voila, it was in the sneak peek.
    Im happy you're happy, don't think I've ever seen such a happy post in this forum

Before anyone wants to go there, yes I belong to several truces so I am artificially limiting my potential pool in regular events.

What in heavens name are you talking about...truces?
    It seems theres a whole new world I'm yet to experience in MPQ.

I would reply to some of that but it's not possible with the very strange way you use for quoting.
    I'm not exaggerating when I say that I'll be genuinely sad when this event ends. Sadder still when we go back to 5* only time.

What in heavens name are you talking about (part 2?)
    What's it like up there in 5* cover land.?
    I assumed that when you have a powerful roster you destroy all 3* & 4* teams in the blink of the eye and walk around with a permanent smile on your face.
    Seems like it ain't so.

Run every event in the vein of Combined Arms, but tiered. So you could have a 1-2-3, a 2-3-4, and a 3-4-5 event all running in parallel, with CL gating people from the higher ones. I'm not convinced the dev team gives a **** about players burning out, but if you want to prevent that, make sure joining one locks you out of the other two.[*]

Now this my friend is a brilliant idea. I mean it.
    It's absolutely brilliant. Now I don't know about across the board but maybe in some events and PvPs. Like you said tiered. So you could have a 1-2-3, a 2-3-4, and a 3-4-5 event all running in parallel.

I'm the only one in my alliance who can compete in combined Arms on the basis I have some 4* cover championed.
    I know with 100% certainty that other alliance members would have entered 1-2-3 level if the option was available.
    [/i]

[/quote][/quote][/i][/b][/quote]

I would reply to some of that but it's not possible with the very strange way you use for quoting.
  • Sluggo
    Sluggo Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    I enjoyed this event more than most PvPs for reasons you can probably guess: it evened the playing field for me.

In most PvP events, my roster tops out in the 270s: some unboosted 4*s and a few boosted 3*s. A lot of the time, I'm playing an unboosted 190 IF or IM40 paired with a 270 and whoever the featured character is. And I'm constantly getting matched against teams with double 370s and a 310 or so. By the time I reach 700, everything grinds to a halt.

But this event meant that the worst I could face was a team around my level. There was no way for this game's godawful MMR matchmaking to throw multiple 370s at me. Yeah, by the time I got over 800, it was a parade of Peggys and other 4*s that I wasn't rushing to fight, but at least it felt fair.

As a result, I got my first yellow Peggy, bringing her to 4/1/5, because #MPQluck.
  • dsds
    dsds Posts: 526
    This event was good. Expected to get hit way more. But didn;t. Made it to my yellow peggy!

I found that iceman is way way over powered in this event. The nerf bat should go to him the next season around. Anyway yeah, Rulk was good, but 4thor was better at killing iceman. That damn iceman, I hate him. Disclaimer, I don't have many iceman covers.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    dsds wrote:
    This event was good. Expected to get hit way more. But didn;t. Made it to my yellow peggy!

I found that iceman is way way over powered in this event. The nerf bat should go to him the next season around. Anyway yeah, Rulk was good, but 4thor was better at killing iceman. That damn iceman, I hate him. Disclaimer, I don't have many iceman covers.
    Creepsicle was ok.
    I avoided Peggy teams like the plague...
    ...while running Peggy IM40 +whoever myself.
    Awesome event.
  • spectator
    spectator Posts: 395 Mover and Shaker
    why is there no "all of the above" option?
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm still stuck queueing the same 4 player, 30 point matches ad infinitum
  • amusingfoo1
    amusingfoo1 Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    I had mixed feelings. Due to escaping 5* MMR and trying new teams, the initial climb was a lot of fun (and I wasn't walled in by friendlies until I got to 750 or so, which was also awesome). But getting hit a lot more while hopping wasn't so good.
  • SirLanik
    SirLanik Posts: 345 Mover and Shaker
    This event is neat, but for someone with no good 4 star options, and I've been selling my 2 stars when they hit 144 for the ISO/Hero points, well, I'm limping in this event. My roster for events is usually all 3 stars, so this event is exceptionally tough.

Once I have some decent 4 stars, I'm sure I'd enjoy it more.
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    fmftint wrote:
    I'm still stuck queueing the same 4 player, 30 point matches ad infinitum

Hello, tintguy! icon_e_smile.gif

I'm guessing it was probably more because you were climbing late and most people were shielded up. There's no cure for the game not giving you targets when practically everyone in your slice is hidden away. I hit that, too, towards the tail end. But unlike regular season events, where I cycle through the same 10 people the entire time, it was only in the last 12 hours where that became something of an issue.

Hey, maybe I'm wrong! Who knows?

@Jabrony Geoff: Thanks for the lengthy reply! I'm sensing a little sarcasm in there... icon_e_wink.gif Seriously, this event made me happy to play the game like nothing else in months. I really wanted to shine some light on it!

Speaking of which, only one more upvote and my post goes green! And for the first time, no less! Let's get some attention, people! Shameless self-promotion!
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    I find it interesting that in both mine and your posts satanno the consensus is the same...no 5* = more fun. And also all the people who said many of the 4* tier were rubbish are now finding out they're insanely fun (best tier for me by far)

Yet as soon as the event is done everyone will go back to chasing 5* again. I'm glad I made the decision 3 seasons ago to cap my (then only) usable oml at 300 and even though I have usable goblin, phoenix, and surfer I will still cap them because playing in the 4* tier is much more fun and diverse.
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    I agree: this event was a blast! It helps having 5 champed 4* characters now in addition to all of the 3*s champed, but still. I normally don't play PvP, and even though I didn't quite hit the Peggy yellow, this was the most fun I've had playing PvP in... forever.

As someone who ran Fistbuster + Ares, Peggy teams were actually my bread and butter to build points. Sure, she could be a pest, but when you're collecting enough red to just one-shot her anyway... meh! She slows your battery down some, but I usually took out her weakling buddies and then punched her in the face.

Obvs voted ALL THE OPTIONS!
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2016
    I find it interesting that in both mine and your posts satanno the consensus is the same...no 5* = more fun. And also all the people who said many of the 4* tier were rubbish are now finding out they're insanely fun (best tier for me by far)

Yet as soon as the event is done everyone will go back to chasing 5* again. I'm glad I made the decision 3 seasons ago to cap my (then only) usable oml at 300 and even though I have usable goblin, phoenix, and surfer I will still cap them because playing in the 4* tier is much more fun and diverse.

I have been whining about the 5* tier for almost as long as it's been around, I'm sure. It's poorly balanced against other tiers, impossible to scale/matchmake for, ruins the game for unsuspecting new players, and everyone (I'm also guilty) gets caught up in obsessing over the Purple Ones because we have no control over whether we get them or not.

It sucks if you can't get them at all, if you get a ridiculously low pull rate, if you get unusable duplicates, if you get an undesirable character (poor steve), and if you get them and all you can see are others who get them and your pve is scaled to high holy tinykitty... and... it just sucks. It's unfair and game-breaking and I'm saying this as someone who has benefited from being stupidly lucky. Progression should not rely completely on luck.

Long live 4*s. 4*s forever!
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2016
    The heck with my buggy internet and the double post... why can't I delete this? icon_e_sad.gif
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,791 Chairperson of the Boards
    It was my fav event in a long long time. Bliss without the 5* **** up.

For the love of god change the game to separate us by shield rank. You don't need to wait for level 8 you just need to tweak the entry level for each Rank. I am 57 and have two useable 4*, yet you only need what 35 iirc to join level 7. Level 7 should be for people like me chasing 4 star covers in transition, not vets, level 35 should be for those trying to max a 3 star roster.
  • MLDB
    MLDB Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    Great event, mmr opened up so there were so many options for a match, saw a lot of variety (including an impressive blade/px combo that threatened to destroy me) and got to play around with my characters. I though I'd miss my permanent tank OML, but I didn't. I hope this runs more frequently in the future.
    I also fought a lot of Peggy and AP control teams last night, and they're totally beatable (they don't have damage outside of Peggy herself)! Most don't run 5 yellow so you only need 1 extra match to get your powers off, so it's not bad at all.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Huh....5*'s disappeared and the vast majority of the user base seemed to enjoy the shorter matches and more variety?!? SHOCKING!!!

Really wish there was a "delevel" button so I could get back into 4* MMR, the last time I found the game "fun".....where I could keep up with rosters since I could EARN the rewards needed to get there!
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Got my first ever #1 in pvp. So yes, this is now my fav event.

Pulled a leg with my cp from progression and saw that sweet sweet purple....Steve. Well, tinykitty.
  • Sledge
    Sledge Posts: 42 Just Dropped In
    Combined Arms was by far the most enjoyable off-season event in a long time. I am normally in champed 5* MMR and it was so refreshing not to face OML+Phoenix match after match after match. I was also refreshing not to be forced to use my 5* just to stay competitive.

How about a compromise, for PVP events, only allow the use of one 5*? This might inject a little more variety.
This discussion has been closed.