Devs - tabbing apps = PQ shutdown

Options
Plastic
Plastic Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
I've done it on purpose several times to make sure. I've been told by others it's happening to them as well.

Currently using Galaxy Note 5 running marshmallow 6.0.1

Comments

• shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yep, me too.

Samsung Galaxy S5 Neo, marshmallow 6.0.1
  • Nitymp
    Nitymp Posts: 320 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Yeah same here! Samsung galaxy s6.

Now I can no longer freely switch to the slack app.

Also, I used to be able to lock my phone for a while and resume where I left off, but now the app refreshes after like 5 minutes
  • JanksMcJank
    JanksMcJank Posts: 62 Match Maker
    Options
    Same here with the tabbing.

LG V10
    LG gpadx 10.1
  • Shibata
    Shibata Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    Options
    It's happening to me also. If my screen turns off, the app does too. Please, pretty please fix this.

Galaxy S6
    Android 6.0.1
  • Dologan
    Dologan Posts: 145 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Came here to report this as well; glad to see I'm not the only one.

In my case, it's not just while tabbing but also idling out. It doesn't happen immediately when turning the screen off manually, but at some point after a couple minutes the app is closed, whether in the middle of a match or not. Very frustrating to lose matches this way.

Devs fix this please! Galaxy Note 4 here.
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I thought this was by design. Game restarts got me if tabbed out for over 30 seconds. Has been that way for months.
  • Nitymp
    Options
    Ohboy wrote:
    I thought this was by design. Game restarts got me if tabbed out for over 30 seconds. Has been that way for months.

It used to do this a while back, but i think it was around August/1.6 when this was improved, iirc.
  • andrewvanmarle
    andrewvanmarle Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Same here!
  • Feagul
    Feagul Posts: 114
    Options
    FYI, tried reproducing this on my iPhone 6S+ w/iOS 10.0.2 and was unable to do so.
  • Nitymp
    Options
    Feagul wrote:
    FYI, tried reproducing this on my iPhone 6S+ w/iOS 10.0.2 and was unable to do so.

Yeah, my alt (on iphone) has had absolutely no problems with locking. Locked it for 6 hours overnight while in game and was able to complete the game when I woke up. Tried it again from start of work to lunchtime and it was also fine.
  • Hibernum_JC
    Hibernum_JC Posts: 318 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    We've seen reports of this and are investigating.
  • tulant
    tulant Posts: 7 Just Dropped In
    Options
    This has been happening to me for months now. When i emailed support about it i was told this:

"When you play the game and switch in between other apps and programs or leave the app open in the background (such as when the device is in sleep mode or you receive a call), you divide the priority of processing among the programs, and the shortage causes the game to shut down due to the enhanced usage rate during matches. When the game shuts down, as an anti-cheat provision, any current battles are automatically retreated and your team incurs the consequences of a retreat; damaged health, loss, etc.

Unfortunately, each device is different in how long it will allow the game to run in the background and there is little we can do except suggest that you complete your match and close the game before using other apps and programs."

so how is it that its "being investigated now"? Was support just blowing smoke up my but at that time and now its a common thing so its being looked into???
  • TaiMaiShu
    Options
    This is the worst in events losing the points from this makes the rest of the event unplayable. Most events I've seen if you lose a game you're very likely out of the top prize bracket which is the most important. Can we see a change to this...and maybe event payouts?
  • solidshape
    Options
    One plus one here Put it back the way it was. Why change something that was working so well ?? Plz put pause back . I'm a Uber driver I never know when I will have a client ... So this is extra bad icon_e_sad.gif
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    tulant wrote:
    This has been happening to me for months now.

This is definitely a long standing problem in the game, but it did seem to be getting more stable running in the background over the last few updates... until this very last one, where it shuts down very, very quickly.
  • Irgy
    Irgy Posts: 148 Tile Toppler
    Options
    tulant wrote:
    This has been happening to me for months now. When i emailed support about it i was told this:

"When you play the game and switch in between other apps and programs or leave the app open in the background (such as when the device is in sleep mode or you receive a call), you divide the priority of processing among the programs, and the shortage causes the game to shut down due to the enhanced usage rate during matches. When the game shuts down, as an anti-cheat provision, any current battles are automatically retreated and your team incurs the consequences of a retreat; damaged health, loss, etc.

Unfortunately, each device is different in how long it will allow the game to run in the background and there is little we can do except suggest that you complete your match and close the game before using other apps and programs."

so how is it that its "being investigated now"? Was support just blowing smoke up my but at that time and now its a common thing so its being looked into???

The more general issue is device dependent and not even entirely under their control. If your device runs out of memory it closes apps that aren't active. That's something the OS does, not MtGPQ. The lack of ability to recover afterwards is a security/design choice, according to their description that you quoted. I've found that on my old iPad it shut down if I ran any other app, while on the new one I can get away with a lot, presumably because the new one has a lot more memory (in fact it just generally crashes a lot less for the same reason).

What this thread's about is not this general issue, but about the fact that it's severely affecting a whole group of people whom it previously wasn't, and specifically Android users by the look of it. Which suggests that the previous update has triggered shutdowns to happen much more easily than they should be. Which in turn suggests that unlike your problem it's something they might be able to actually fix.
  • huntly
    huntly Posts: 99
    Options
    Ohboy wrote:
    Same here. About 50% of the time i can get away with receiving a phone call without restart.
  • Lost4G
    Lost4G Posts: 12
    Options
    This has definitely been an issue today with me as well. I was trying to start some nodes and finish some games in between work and realized that my games were not being finished and every tab out (even sometimes just to an overlapping messenger app) would cause PQ to restart. Considering I was stalling out many of these games to accomplish both secondary objectives for this event, it was very frustrating to have lost 3 games like this.

In response to Tulant, I recognize the reasoning behind the memory usage, but I also did notice that my batteries were draining faster than normal and my phone getting excessively hotter than it did before the update. This is with all my other apps closed and nothing running in the background.
  • arNero
    arNero Posts: 358 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Not much to say but +1 here; I don't run the app as tabs, but sometimes after playing the game, I just go back to Home screen of my phone and/or lock the phone, and within like fifteen minutes the game just closes itself, if I'm lucky I'll get "MtGPQ has stopped" message.
  • OhanaUnited
    OhanaUnited Posts: 85 Match Maker
    Options
    It has been like that for a long while. Even if I don't switch or open other tabs, just tabbing it causes the game to close and restart