Where is the 5* transition plan? 4* outnumbering 3*

moogles85
moogles85 Posts: 186 Tile Toppler
edited October 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Back in the day when 5*s did not exist, the developers realized they had created too many 3*s (40 of them to be exact).

Now we have 40 4* characters, and Blade will be 41. There are also 10 different 5* characters now.

Even if the developers were to give one 5* cover each season (similar to how they used to have a 4* reward for alliance reward), you won't even fully cover a 5* for 130 seasons, but at least it gives a guaranteed way to grow your roster.

As many people have already stated, 4*s aren't adding any more value to this game when the characters are useless compared to 5* match damage. Why are we getting fed more useless irrelevant characters?
What is the long term plan and the transition plan for players or are we still expected to completely rely on RNG?

Comments

• SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    viewtopic.php?f=7&t=50663

I've been asking/reminding here for six months.

The nay-sayers love to point out we are at 38 4*'s +2 "joke" ones (since Howard/Dino aren't in packs...for some reason....still better than some 4*'s out there....). So I'm waiting to bump that thread after next 4* is announced. Why we don't already have the reward structure (POSSIBLY IN MORE OPEN SCL LEVELS) is beyond me.
  • DrDevilDinosaur
    DrDevilDinosaur Posts: 436 Mover and Shaker
    I think the only way to get 5* Star is from legendary tokens so you can buy them with commands points or buy 40 tokens and get 1 free Token i don't know if this is a good deal but that this the plan
  • Aidonis
    Aidonis Posts: 87 Match Maker
    Plan? Good one.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    I think most people expect *something* to happen once we hit 42. It just makes too much sense to line everything up with champion rewards at that point, even more now that they've actually made changes to champ rewards to make some new 4*s available.

I also feel like d3 is finally catching on a little that players in their endgame are waaaaaaay too strung out. They can't release SCL 8-10 because any given endgame player has a miniscule number of people immediately around them with comparable rosters.

I think what is happening is the devs are thinking, "well, we can't completely set up champ rewards until we have 40 4*s that are actually eligible as champ rewards, and we also don't want to put out enough 4*s that we can't put them in as champ rewards somewhere. So we're going to wait until we release 4* #42 and then just move on to the next tier permenently."

It would be fairly easy for them to just start making making only 5*s. 5*s don't have the champ reward problem. The only thing is that if they do go up a tier, then people will start complaining about Iso again, as the quest for players to complete their 4* roster starts to become meaningful progression.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    The plan is, $$$$$$
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, I've been wondering this myself. My guess is when they've hit the saturation point they'll award more characters at every level, rather than just 4*s. If they give us more ability to choose what characters we get when we open tokens, then they can effectively take a cap off of the maximum number of characters.

I think they kind of missed a golden opportunity with Civil War. They could divide the token packs into "Team Iron Man" or "Team Cap," so every time you opened a token (any token) it would ask you which team. Then it would give you a chance at characters from that team. They can definitely do something like this - hopefully they will.
  • Crnch73
    Crnch73 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    once they release the 42nd 4* and probably move on to making more 5*... what happens then? Are 4* easier to acquire (please say yes!)... are 5* as hard to get as current 4*? They can't expect to keep the RNG and rare status of 4 and 5* characters the same and expect to expand the 5* tier easily. What happens when they unleash a 6* tier?!
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    moogles85 wrote:
    Back in the day when 5*s did not exist, the developers realized they had created too many 3*s (40 of them to be exact).

Now we have 40 4* characters, and Blade will be 41. There are also 10 different 5* characters now.

Even if the developers were to give one 5* cover each season (similar to how they used to have a 4* reward for alliance reward), you won't even fully cover a 5* for 130 seasons, but at least it gives a guaranteed way to grow your roster.

As many people have already stated, 4*s aren't adding any more value to this game when the characters are useless compared to 5* match damage. Why are we getting fed more useless irrelevant characters?
    What is the long term plan and the transition plan for players or are we still expected to completely rely on RNG?

The trend is to have more characters than the previous rank, I would guess to increase the long term goals of the game. As with 2* and 3*, 4* will (and has by large) increase within rewards given.

More to the OP's point, the problem was never 4*s, but 5*s. If we look at initial 4*s, they had a high level cap but that was about it, they were really *really* bad. When Nick was released he was ridiculously stronger than XFW and IW, and we are talking about the current Nick who is considered under powered. 4 stars were mostly trophies accessible to whales and the top hardcore players, which worked.

This was not the case with the release of 5*s, which were still restricted to whales and a bit to hardcore players. These weren't trophies, instead they made 4*s look like pansies. I'm not sure why there was a disconnect here when they did fine the first time and I won't speculate, but this post's complaint is the ultimate result of this decision.

If I were Demiurge I at least wouldn't have made any 5*s stronger than Silver Surfer, and only released maybe 3-5 by the anniversary. I would have waited until this anniversary to start buffing the trophy 5*s, which is the same formula they used for 4*s.
  • The Herald
    The Herald Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    They need to use Clearance Levels to make a point in the game where 4*s and 5*s are more accessible, but the Devs seem tragically poor at assessing their own game icon_neutral.gif
  • The Herald wrote:
    They need to use Clearance Levels to make a point in the game where 4*s and 5*s are more accessible, but the Devs seem tragically poor at assessing their own game icon_neutral.gif

Seem? It's a lot more than that.
  • MaxxPowerz
    MaxxPowerz Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    Who says there has to be the same amount of 4*s as 3*s? When you look at the other character tiers, each successive tier has outnumbered the last.

Personally I like the idea of 5* characters being highly rare, even if at the sacrifice of pvp.
  • j0nats
    j0nats Posts: 149 Tile Toppler
    I think people are just too impatient. In games such as these where there is really no end, the real pleasure is in the journey/progression.

If by some miracle d3 started giving out 5*s like candy... people will bore of the game. Look at pokemon.

Because a lot of people were duping the GPS and using radars to catch rare pokemons in the comfort of their couches, pokedexes were completed too fast.

And once they got there, what next? Since people reached the end they didnt see much point in playing and the playerbase has dropped. Clash of clans/kings are back on top, and u hardly see lures anymore.

Guys just enjoy the game. Enjoy the transition from 3 to 4. Enjoy the transition from 4 to 5. Its not impossible, especially now that theyve lowered the pvp progression to get 10 CP.

Thats what im doing, so that when i get that 13th OML cover i will feel that i really deserved it, as opposed to it having been given out.
  • xKOBALTx
    xKOBALTx Posts: 299 Mover and Shaker
    Why is the whole 40 vs 40 (+2) thing still even carrying weight? We seem to have a legit interview recording of someone from D3 at NYCC saying that there will be a 3* version of Dr. Strange. It was posted on this very forum, wasn't deleted and I don't recall seeing any denial by a red name. Doesn't that throw a wrench into the whole hypothesis that the 3* and 4* tiers are going to match up and be finished at 40 any day now?

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=52861&start=40#p581085
    xdogg wrote:
    http://reviewfix.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Marvel-Puzzle-Quest.mp3 Listen to this, sounds like a 5* and 3* version
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm fairly confident that SCL 8-10 will address more 4* and 5* rewards. By SCL 10 I can see top placement winning a 5* cover or a token_legendary.png or two.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I can't wait for SCL 8, 9,10 to arrive!!! Any idea on the timeline for that? Weeks, months... years?
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    mpqr7 wrote:
    I can't wait for SCL 8, 9,10 to arrive!!! Any idea on the timeline for that? Weeks, months... years?
    I think that SCL 8 will roll out once they hit a certain threshold in the playerbase. Like X players of y power level = SCL 8 being unlocked. This makes sense as it keeps progression at a certain rate while not allowing too much of an imbalance of higher and lower level players. I think the idea is to level the playing field/experience for everyone playing in an SCL.
  • The Herald
    The Herald Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    mpqr7 wrote:
    I think that SCL 8 will roll out once they hit a certain threshold in the playerbase. Like X players of y power level = SCL 8 being unlocked. This makes sense as it keeps progression at a certain rate while not allowing too much of an imbalance of higher and lower level players. I think the idea is to level the playing field/experience for everyone playing in an SCL.

I'm okay with the monster players buggering off out of my scrub tier as soon as possible :p

If we assume CL8 wants level 80 players, let's just sit back and wait for the level 80 players to happen.
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    If they need certain number of players there they will never get them as people will start quitting the game. Ask vets here if they think Sl7 is where they belong. Most will tell you (looking from awards progression between Sl6 and Sl7) that Sl8 is a minimum where they see each other. And I would agree with that. When you have 10 4* champed and slowly move to 5* this one 4* cover every couple of weeks (kudos for switching SL off for 2 events every other week) is not really helpful - you need more iso and more covers than SL7 is providing. Hence the SL8 is a minimum for veteran players who want to progress further with reasonable speed. At the same time the SL7 can be used by 3-4 transitioners as a great source of progress.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    My suspicion is that they are going to continue fixing the 1:1 3* champ rewards with logical 4* covers and the ones they haven't touched yet is because they have 4*s planned in the works for them. Once they get them all matched up, which would take adding another 5-6 3*s and 4*s if my theory is correct, then they would either continue adding 3* and 4*s to keep the 1:1 or they will move past both 3* and 4* and add a 6* and only release 5* and 6*.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Magic wrote:
    If they need certain number of players there they will never get them as people will start quitting the game. Ask vets here if they think Sl7 is where they belong. Most will tell you (looking from awards progression between Sl6 and Sl7) that Sl8 is a minimum where they see each other. And I would agree with that. When you have 10 4* champed and slowly move to 5* this one 4* cover every couple of weeks (kudos for switching SL off for 2 events every other week) is not really helpful - you need more iso and more covers than SL7 is providing. Hence the SL8 is a minimum for veteran players who want to progress further with reasonable speed. At the same time the SL7 can be used by 3-4 transitioners as a great source of progress.

Agreed. As someone in the 3-4 transition bracket I feel SCL 7 is exactly where I should be and even if there was an 8, I would stay at 7. That being said I want 8 to come out so you vet can get out of my pool, it's too crowded!