stark0719
stark0719 Posts: 50 Match Maker
edited October 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Is she kind of weak or is it just me?
Please tell me if I am right/wrong

Comments

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    I see her as a niche utility character. Her sploits ability where you can remove all of a certain special type will probably end up being her main usefulness.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2016
    She's not the best, but also far from terrible.

With a list of which code does what, Sploits can be used to take out damn near any tile on the board while also dealing competent damage. There's only two other 4* characters with targeted tile-destruction moves, and this move is comfortably better than Cho's green. (Not as good as Cyclops' red and blue, but that's a high bar)

Black is definitely her weak power, but the protect tiles it makes are strong enough to limit match damage. More importantly, sending your allies airborne allows them to avoid incoming AOE damage, potentially turning a fight-ending nuke into a much less devastating attack.

Chekhov's Gun is unpredictable against a group, but in terms of total damage it's decently strong for 10 AP, all the more so against a single enemy when you don't have to worry about the three hits being randomly distributed (and where, IIRC, strike tiles will add their damage to each hit separately).
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    She was actually kind of a pain to play against in pvp, so that's a good sign that she's decently tough. Good defense, good offense and good board destruction.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    stark0719 wrote:
    Compared to what? Her purple can do more damage/AP than HB's red, and her green is equivalent to JG's AOEs. People's expectations have shifted significantly.

You can argue that you'd never want to use her in PvP because the AI will use purple stupidly, and hijack black from another character, but that doesn't make her "weak".
  • The Herald
    The Herald Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    Also, don't knock he Black for Team Up fodder.

It's the only one you can get from her, and it gives you a "shields up" moment to dodge a big enemy turn.
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 568 Critical Contributor
    If your teammates are stunned for a long time (Iceman or Scarlet Witch) you can send them airborne and they will be back in the fight the following turn. Definitely a niche use but it's there.
  • smoq84
    smoq84 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    [...]
    Black is definitely her weak power, but the protect tiles it makes are strong enough to limit match damage. More importantly, sending your allies airborne allows them to avoid incoming AOE damage, potentially turning a fight-ending nuke into a much less devastating attack.
    [...]
    I found it quite useful when used as a Team-Up which sends all your team airborne which can help avoid all the damage from incoming opponents turn.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    The Herald wrote:

It's the only one you can get from her, and it gives you a "shields up" moment to dodge a big enemy turn.

FWIW, in one match after enemy OML transformed, I used her black TU to try to dodge the incoming yellow. The AI held the AP and I got hit after they fell back to earth.
  • thisone
    thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
    She's awesome. You can play her for fun, or use her very practically. Very well designed character. The sploits ability is one of the better powers in the 4* game, not just for versatility but for flavour.

More character designs like this please devs. Great job.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    We need more fun characters like gwenpool and howard the duck. When you're fighting hundreds of pve matches per week, it's nice to have fun characters that are enjoyable to use, in addition to the more serious ones.

In fact lately when I use my oml to tank damage, I use the black, red and yellow powers of other characters instead, because it's gotten boring to only use oml's black claws and save his yellow so that he'll transform. Sure, it probably wins the match faster, but it's more fun to use other characters like nova for variety, and nova's powers are super fun.. it's great to throw enemies up in the air and crash into them.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think gwenpool is fine. I think the gun mechanic is new and a cool way to transform a power. Her sploit is also innovative and cool. I just wish I didn't have to have all the cheat codes pulled up while I played with her. For PVE ISO farming it is fine, but for speed I just kept hitting Colum 7 wether it was what I wanted to destroy or not.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    HaywireII wrote:
    If your teammates are stunned for a long time (Iceman or Scarlet Witch) you can send them airborne and they will be back in the fight the following turn. Definitely a niche use but it's there.

Exactly! I was using her with IM40, once his yellow stunned him, I used Cmags/Rogers' red and black then used her black to throw them up, matched yellow.. rinse and repeat. It's also nice if an enemy is ready to kill me with AOE (e.g. Red Hulk). It's definitely niche but extremely useful in the right situation(s).

I also love her green, it looks to do some nice damage.. one day I will have a fully covered one.. one day
  • aesthetocyst
    aesthetocyst Posts: 538 Critical Contributor
    simonsez wrote:
    stark0719 wrote:
    Compared to what? Her purple can do more damage/AP than HB's red, and her green is equivalent to JG's AOEs. People's expectations have shifted significantly.

Oh, hell. Haven't updated this list.
    simonsez wrote:
    You can argue that you'd never want to use her in PvP because the AI will use purple stupidly, and hijack black from another character, but that doesn't make her "weak".

Yeah, that (the AI can't play'em fer ****) is true of almost every character in the game.
    I also love her green, it looks to do some nice damage.. one day I will have a fully covered one.. one day

It absolutely does when she is champed. I think the devs balanced the randomness (which reflects the character) by giving the ability heftier impact. Champed and at full power, when it happens to hit all targets, it leaves big dents. Found that out the hard way.
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    She's definitely a refreshing character from a design standpoint. Special tiles (I guess silver surfer was the last time we saw a character-unique tile type?), a completely new 'dial a trick' mini-game, and fun artwork. I'd love to see more characters with special/unique abilities like this.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't have her, used the loaner. Not really interested in her character/comic. Would rather have characters that I didn't have to reference some sort of outside list of codes to function properly. Trying to "figure out" the sploits while in PVP rushing to climb as high as I could before getting smashed was not 'fun' for me personally.

I'd rather have characters with unique abilities I can use and know what they are going to do by selecting a character or a point on the board, or a drop down, or something... For a game where the developers and many forumites seem to rage against "out of game" communication, creating a character with an ability that literally requires you to use Out of Game information to function baffles me.
  • aesthetocyst
    aesthetocyst Posts: 538 Critical Contributor
    JVReal wrote:
    For a game where the developers and many forumites seem to rage against "out of game" communication...

Developers? Really? Where, when?
    JVReal wrote:
    ... creating a character with an ability that literally requires you to use Out of Game information to function baffles me.

I think the devs hoped figuring out the codes would be fun for players. How are you required to use comms for that? Experiment! Of course the hyper-competitives are going to brute force it, create references, and share them, but your aren't forced to use them.

I can't imagine using her 'sploits in PVP. Only did so in her event to screw around a bit. In PVE they will be extremely useful!
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Her green is strong and triple dips on strike tiles. Purple is a swiss army knife that can get you out of some bad situations. Black lets you dodge damage and unstun teammates. She's solidly useful, with tons of player agency.
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    The Herald wrote:

There's a hidden strength of her black as well. If your teammate has been hit with a big (Bobby or Witch) stun, casting black drops the number of stunned turns to 1. When those characters are boosted or you're otherwise seeing a lot of them, that's huge.
  • Omega Red
    Omega Red Posts: 366 Mover and Shaker
    My main complaint is that big head mode is not big enough.

Other than that, love the whole concept, artwork and design.
  • boldfacedfemme
    boldfacedfemme Posts: 227 Tile Toppler
    The Herald wrote:

There's a hidden strength of her black as well. If your teammate has been hit with a big (Bobby or Witch) stun, casting black drops the number of stunned turns to 1. When those characters are boosted or you're otherwise seeing a lot of them, that's huge.

Don't be surprised when this is 'fixed' in an upcoming patch or update.
This discussion has been closed.