PSA: Just Make a Temp Alliance for Boss Rush

Skygazing
Skygazing Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
edited October 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Edit: Putting this at the top so people understand there is no alliance progression, ALL ROUNDS ARE DONE PERSONALLY

If you haven't started the event yet, you're better off just making a temp alliance for yourself.

Alliance scores don't actually matter for this because literally the entire thing is personal progression. All of the rounds have to be done individually, instead of by the alliance as they have previously.

All that alliance total scores matter for are alliance placement awards (against other alliances), for which the top 2 alliances get a Mohawk Green cover, 5k ISO, and 100 HP.

The rewards for placing 1st within your alliance (against other members) are a Mohawk Green cover, 5k ISO, and 100 HP.

Laughably, this means that if you're fighting on your own chances are you'll get better rewards* than fighting within an alliance.

*Unless you are t1 in one of the t2 alliances

Comments

• Mechahamster
    Mechahamster Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    Nothing screams Happy anniversary more than an event which breaks aparts Alliances icon_lol.gif
  • dsds
    dsds Posts: 526
    If you go at it alone, I don't think you will hit round 7 or 8. The reason is the alliance all take hit points off the boss. So if you go at it alone, you wouldn't make it past round 5. Correct me if I am wrong though.

In the past events, my progression rewards depended on how well the alliance fought the boss as the points are in the later rounds.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    dsds wrote:
    If you go at it alone, I don't think you will hit round 7 or 8. The reason is the alliance all take hit points off the boss. So if you go at it alone, you wouldn't make it past round 5. Correct me if I am wrong though.

In the past events, my progression rewards depended on how well the alliance fought the boss as the points are in the later rounds.

I was going to say this. Hell I'm in an alliance of mostly people in 3* land and we've never made it to round 7 yet. Doing it on my own I'd be luck to hit round 4. I've never had a problem with hitting personal progression in past boss events and I've usually been first. So there is literally no upside to your idea for me, only downsides.
  • bmd2007
    bmd2007 Posts: 34 Just Dropped In
    In this event, round progress is individual, not alliance based.
  • dsds
    dsds Posts: 526
    bmd2007 wrote:
    You are right. I just checked mine. I only did one round and took 6000 off. And what do you know, only 6000 got taken off the total hit points. I have other alliance members who hit the boss already.
  • bigsmooth
    bigsmooth Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    I'm hoping they increase the alliance placement rewards for this reason. It seems silly to reward people for playing an alliance event solo.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    bigsmooth wrote:
    I'm hoping they increase the alliance placement rewards for this reason. It seems silly to reward people for playing an alliance event solo.

Who said this was an alliance event?
  • aesthetocyst
    aesthetocyst Posts: 538 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2016
    Skygazing wrote:
    If you haven't started the event yet, you're better off just making a temp alliance for yourself.

... and then merc yourself out to a top alliance for the alliance placement rewards.

Just like any other PVE.

Thanks for the communication devs!
    Orion wrote:

What's that line about ASSumptions? harhar.

Perhaps this is why this aspect was not communicated. Get players to join before realizing they'd been duped based on their own past experience.

Rickrolling the playerbase is not a good long-term strategy.

Also, the boss fight in round 1 says it is worth 6000pts. But only plays 4000.

Looking forward to finding all the other "surprises".
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    bmd2007 wrote:

This info would have saved about 4 pages worth of people telling them it was a bad idea to have placement rewards within alliances. I swear sometimes they're trolling on purpose.

Alliance progression was one of my favorite parts of boss events.
  • Making a temp alliance would gain you a very marginal amount of iso and hp once you subtract the cost to start the alliance. It would cost you the goodwill of all of your alliance mates. Seems hardly worth it.
  • FaustianDeal
    FaustianDeal Posts: 760 Critical Contributor
    Click the EVENT REWARDS Button in boss rush... switch to the Event Rules...
    what does it say at the top?

BOSS RUSH vs. #YourName#

It doesn't say:
    BOSS RUSH vs. #YourAllianceName#
  • FaustianDeal
    FaustianDeal Posts: 760 Critical Contributor
    Snark aside - I think this might not be a bad way to run this event the first time. It could wind up getting incredibly difficult very quickly, and I don't think you want that tension inside the alliance either. Teammates are going to make an honest commitment and then get scaled out of this event crazy fast.

Once they have run it once and have a sense for how well an average roster can do in a survival node against boss characters they can adjust scaling and then run it again with legit team goals and maybe team-level progression.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards

BOSS RUSH vs. #YourName#

It doesn't say:
    That would have helped if the preview had gone up a few days ago instead of 15 minutes before the event started.
  • aesthetocyst
    aesthetocyst Posts: 538 Critical Contributor

BOSS RUSH vs. #YourName#

It doesn't say:

Opening comment:

"Pits you and your alliance against terrible ..."

You know, the usual for a team-based boss fight in this game.

Now back to the usual, everyone in their own corner dealing with their own demons.
  • Skygazing
    Skygazing Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    Making a temp alliance would gain you a very marginal amount of iso and hp once you subtract the cost to start the alliance. It would cost you the goodwill of all of your alliance mates. Seems hardly worth it.

I forget the actual cost, but isn't it only like 2k ISO to make one? You get 100 HP, a 3* cover, and net gain ISO. You don't lose out on any goodwill because you can just hop back into the actual alliance.

It's not a huge gain, sure. But it's also incredibly easy to do.
  • bigsmooth
    bigsmooth Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    Orion wrote:
    bigsmooth wrote:

http://marvel.com/news/comics/26807/cel ... zzle_quest
    Most relevant parts bolded...
    The new event being introduced this Anniversary is Boss Rush. This is just like the other Boss events but this one has a couple of cool new twists
    [...]
    players get to compete against their Alliance mates and other Alliances for additional rewards. Have you ever been that person that’s helping your team across the finish line in boss events? Now you’ll get rewarded for your efforts!
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,610 Chairperson of the Boards
    It was clearly a programming mistake. It's very clear it was intended to be alliances working together toward progress.

Some programmer is getting royally yelled at today in the office.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards

You make an **** out of U and...MPTION?
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wouldn't be a new MPQ event if we didn't have to play "Guess the Rules" going into it.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards

You make an **** out of U and...MPTION?

Never assume.. you make an **** out of you and me.

Also, on some sitcom in like the 90s (fresh prince of bell air?), they were at a baseball game, and someone said, Never make an assumption. You'll make an **** out of yourself, and the ump will shun you!
This discussion has been closed.