Is devil dino useless?

2»

Comments

• wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster wrote:
    For people too lazy to check the Marvel Wiki link posted earlier, I'll just post the relevant section here:
    Moon-Boy's Abduction

The Heroes for Hire mercenaries went on a mission for S.H.I.E.L.D. to retrieve Moon-Boy from the Savage Land and encountered Devil Dinosaur in the process. Devil was found fiercely guarding a nest containing a clutch of eggs that apparently he himself had laid and the dinosaur abandoned Moon-Boy to ensure their safety. The discrepancy between this development and his previously presumed male sex was noted by the mercenaries, who could only speculate as to the cause of the change.
    That's a rather strong indication that Devil is, indeed, female. I am not aware of any strong indications about Devil being male, other than loads of people just assuming that was the case.
    So in the wiki discription it specifically says "he himself laid the eggs". This discription is saying that Dino is male. It is almost like in Jurassic park and that nature found a way to keep him reproducing. Maybe we should just call Devil Dino "Pat" the gender less Dino!!!!
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    wymtime wrote:
    Quebbster wrote:
    For people too lazy to check the Marvel Wiki link posted earlier, I'll just post the relevant section here:
    Moon-Boy's Abduction

The Heroes for Hire mercenaries went on a mission for S.H.I.E.L.D. to retrieve Moon-Boy from the Savage Land and encountered Devil Dinosaur in the process. Devil was found fiercely guarding a nest containing a clutch of eggs that apparently he himself had laid and the dinosaur abandoned Moon-Boy to ensure their safety. The discrepancy between this development and his previously presumed male sex was noted by the mercenaries, who could only speculate as to the cause of the change.
    That's a rather strong indication that Devil is, indeed, female. I am not aware of any strong indications about Devil being male, other than loads of people just assuming that was the case.
    So in the wiki discription it specifically says "he himself laid the eggs". This discription is saying that Dino is male. It is almost like in Jurassic park and that nature found a way to keep him reproducing. Maybe we should just call Devil Dino "Pat" the gender less Dino!!!!
    Ever heard of Occam's razor? What's the simpler explanation: Devil being an egg-laying male, or Devil being a female mistakenly refered to as "he"?
    Yes, it's very strange that the wiki keeps refering to Devil as "he". I see no reason to keep doing so however.
  • MaskedMan
    MaskedMan Posts: 234 Tile Toppler
    Actually when released he was very useful because he was one of the first 4*s and it was easy to get all 13 cards since there was a pack with like an 80% chance of Devil Dino cards. His attack is strong for a 3* team and he has a lot of HPs. He also has quick attacks (low tile count) which means if you pair him with someone like Star Lord you get a lot of bang for your buck.

His purple power isn't useful. If anything they have made it worse. At least before it was useful for things like Ultron where you had a fair chance of pulling bombs to the back to the top of the screen, now it basically does nothing. But lots of characters have a garbage power.

With his power up he isn't the most powerful character in the game but he does take a lot of killing. If they had more events like the one running now he would definitely be worth it since he is currently doing 9K+ damage but since this is a once a year thing you unfortunately can't build based on that. Also a lot harder to get cards for him now.

So while I wouldn't break the bank trying to get his cards now I certainly won't be selling him.
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    snlf25 wrote:
    Yes, he still has one use. Once every year at least he will earn you a Legendary Token from his 4* DDQ. That is worth a roster spot and a little ISO. I also like him for the novelty/Jack Kirby connection.

Twice this year!
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hmm he can't be that bad because I just destroyed SG in 4* DPQ without any damage or AP points nor did I level him more. Although SG is a measly lvl 222, I had some problems beating her last year.

Do the changes make me want to level him more and champ him? No, but maybe I'll use him once in awhile compared to never now.
  • ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Devil Dino is pretty fun. And much better than before. YES, no more cheap Carnage triggers. But that was never effective anyway.

With red at 10 AP he is less likely to waste AP on defense. 7 AP for 2400 damage was utterly terrible; now maybe he'll let HB fire Repulsor Punch instead. Or whoever.

He still isn't a strong character, and is best used for filling holes in rainbow coverage and soaking damage. So if you already have some decent 4s, you probably won't use him much outside of this week. Does that count as useless? Maybe.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    I checked the Hitchhiker's Guide to MPQ, and the DD entry just says "mostly useless".
  • Quebbster
    DaveR4470 wrote:
    I checked the Hitchhiker's Guide to MPQ, and the DD entry just says "mostly useless".
    I asked my friend Max, and he said mostly useless is slightly useful.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Very confusing this gender question! I would be happier if DD were a lady.. I checked certain websites, and they said male. But I'll just say female from now on!
  • jojeda654
    jojeda654 Posts: 1,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster wrote:
    Ever heard of Occam's razor? What's the simpler explanation: Devil being an egg-laying male, or Devil being a female mistakenly refered to as "he"?
    Yes, it's very strange that the wiki keeps refering to Devil as "he". I see no reason to keep doing so however.

Maybe it works like seahorses, where the female deposits the eggs in the male's pouch. Male seahorses are the ones that give birth.
  • Quebbster
    jojeda654 wrote:
    Quebbster wrote:

Maybe it works like seahorses, where the female deposits the eggs in the male's pouch. Male seahorses are the ones that give birth.
    Tell you what: If you can show me an expert in the reproductive anatomy of extradimensional dinosaurs determining that Devil is male (in-comic), I'll concede the point.
    Besides, it's still the female seahorse who lays the eggs, just like Devil seems to have laid the eggs in the nest...
  • kobu
    kobu Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    I don't know if anyone else noticed, but if you look at the cover they use for Devil Dino, it is titled:

MOON GIRL AND DEVIL DINOSAUR
    Women of power

I'm thinking that should settle all argument about it, at least for this version.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster wrote:
    Tell you what: If you can show me an expert in the reproductive anatomy of extradimensional dinosaurs determining that Devil is female (in-comic), I'll concede the point.
    Just as useful. When everywhere calls Devil Dino a HE and uses male terminology for everything and the only thing is that DD was guarding eggs they assumed it laid... I'll continue to assume male. Many male animals guard eggs that the female laid. DD could also be asexual and both lay and fertilize his/her own eggs. Did the eggs hatch? Were there little dino's running around? Did they call DD mama or daddy? I don't know.

This gender neutrality stuff really grades on me. There is nothing wrong with knowing what gender you are, and using gender specific pronouns for those whom you know to be a specific gender and themselves have no problem being said gender. I will not be drawn into a debate about the use of gender terms, good day to all.
  • Quebbster
    JVReal wrote:
    Quebbster wrote:
    Tell you what: If you can show me an expert in the reproductive anatomy of extradimensional dinosaurs determining that Devil is female (in-comic), I'll concede the point.
    Just as useful. When everywhere calls Devil Dino a HE and uses male terminology for everything and the only thing is that DD was guarding eggs they assumed it laid... I'll continue to assume male. Many male animals guard eggs that the female laid. DD could also be asexual and both lay and fertilize his/her own eggs. Did the eggs hatch? Were there little dino's running around? Did they call DD mama or daddy? I don't know.

This gender neutrality stuff really grades on me. There is nothing wrong with knowing what gender you are, and using gender specific pronouns for those whom you know to be a specific gender and themselves have no problem being said gender. I will not be drawn into a debate about the use of gender terms, good day to all.
    An unseen female is a possibility. Since Devil is from a parallel dimension it is very unlikely a second Dinosaur of the same species made it to Earth though.
    And really, "knowing the gender" is what it's all about IMO. People have assumed Devil is male. There is very little evidence to back it up (no, pronouns do not count as evidence). There is, however, a stronger indication that Devil may indeed be female, and I just don't get why that would be a problem. Devil is still Devil, regardless of gender.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster wrote:
    An unseen female is a possibility. Since Devil is from a parallel dimension it is very unlikely a second Dinosaur of the same species made it to Earth though.
    And really, "knowing the gender" is what it's all about IMO. People have assumed Devil is male. There is very little evidence to back it up (no, pronouns do not count as evidence). There is, however, a stronger indication that Devil may indeed be female, and I just don't get why that would be a problem. Devil is still Devil, regardless of gender.
    I see where you are coming from. I lend more weight to the narrator, as the narrator is the authority figure of the story. If it was purely the characters in the comic book that are making assumptions, I would understand that they could be wrong. The narrator plays a god's eye view of the story and when the narrator 'speaks' he/she speaks with authority. Like a parent telling a story of their child... people hearing the story see a short haired baby in blue clothes and may assume boy, but when the parent says "and then she looked up and said 'dada'..." you are notified by the authority figure, the narrator, the parent, that the baby is a female.

That's just how I perceive it. If the character was female I would expect the narrator to disclose that information or be vague and not use gender specific pronouns showing that they are unsure as well or wish to continue to encourage the ambiguity.
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    kobu wrote:
    I don't know if anyone else noticed, but if you look at the cover they use for Devil Dino, it is titled:

MOON GIRL AND DEVIL DINOSAUR
    Women of power

I'm thinking that should settle all argument about it, at least for this version.
    I'm not gonna wade into whether Devil Dino is male or female (does it really matter?), but "Women of Power" is the name of the Marvel initiative to feature female characters. A few of the Women of Power covers co-feature male characters along with the female (like the Extraordinary X-Men) so it doesn't really confirm anything either way.