Peter Parker the *MPQ Loser*

Comments

• carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    I don't think the 4* Spider-Characters really need much. Their actives are in kinda weird colors, which puts them in an awkward spot: if you're choosing someone to go with, say, Miles, you don't particularly want to pair him with Hulkbuster, or JG, or Iceman, or even Gwen, because of annoying color overlap. If they'd print a good 4* that complemented their colors and played nicely with them, they would see play for sure.

Nobody cares about 2* Spidey.

3* Spidey is a little bit of a conundrum, because he plays into an obsolete playstyle, and does it badly because of a punishing nerf. The thing is I don't think most people want that particular character to change that much, because he's actually a useful niche character in PvE. Back before the nerf, his little Healing/Stun/Protect tile combo was insanely strong, and it could be good again, if they get around to rebalancing him. I really want to see a him fill the role of Super Annoying Support Character That You Have To Kill First Because He Makes Everything Impossible because I enjoy the playstyle and it fits Spidey's personality really well.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    3* Spidey is a little bit of a conundrum, because he plays into an obsolete playstyle, and does it badly because of a punishing nerf. The thing is I don't think most people want that particular character to change that much, because he's actually a useful niche character in PvE. Back before the nerf, his little Healing/Stun/Protect tile combo was insanely strong, and it could be good again, if they get around to rebalancing him. I really want to see a him fill the role of Super Annoying Support Character That You Have To Kill First Because He Makes Everything Impossible because I enjoy the playstyle and it fits Spidey's personality really well.

His purple and 2* Bullseye's purple need to swap. Think about the powers they're meant to represent and the outcome of each. This has always irked me.

Then just get rid of his heal - seriously, KILL IT - and make it a direct damage that's maybe increased by the amount of web/Spidey-sense protect tiles on the board.

He's then really fun to play and thematically top-notch.

(I've lost count of the amount of times I've begged for this.)
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    Then just get rid of his heal - seriously, KILL IT - and make it a direct damage that's maybe increased by the amount of web/Spidey-sense protect tiles on the board.

I don't think they need to bin the heal entirely, move it to purple in addition to the existing passive and give him some damage to replace the heal.
  • ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Yep, he's bad.

I recently proposed that the devs introduce 'prestige characters', kind of like the old 'gold' 3-star characters but more limited. Basically they'd be existing 1-3's reworked into powerful 4's, not in the general token pool, only earnable as placement rewards (to create a desirable prize to commit to, and a more fluid 4-5 meta).

1* Peter would be ideal for that rework, as he's an incredibly fun character who is really only hampered by his meager Health.

I think the number of web tiles he puts out (and the number required for additional effects) would have to increase to be balanced with 4-star web-users Miles and Gwen, and maybe I'd switch his Red to Green just so he has more synergy with them as well. But otherwise he would work the same way. Damage, Stun, and Crit Cascade, all based on webs.
  • ClydeFrog76
    Crowl wrote:

I don't think they need to bin the heal entirely, move it to purple in addition to the existing passive and give him some damage to replace the heal.

Except it's not a thing. He's never used web bandages.
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    Crowl wrote:

Except it's not a thing. He's never used web bandages.
    Are you sure? I thought I remembered him doing it before.
  • ClydeFrog76
    jobob wrote:

I honestly can never remember seeing it, and I've been reading Spidey on and off for over 30 years.

I scrolled through a load of GIS results before making the call and couldn't find a picture either.

Lots of band-aids with Spidey's face, though; maybe the devs got confused.
  • Omega Red
    Omega Red Posts: 366 Mover and Shaker
    Spider-Man has used his web numerous times to protect injured body parts but it's more of an improvised thing than a "power" or a signature move. He might as well use a shirt and the result would be the same.

Things like web shields, web boxing gloves or web walls are more vintage Spider-Man and would make more sense than healing.
  • fanghoul
    fanghoul Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker
    jobob wrote:

I honestly can never remember seeing it, and I've been reading Spidey on and off for over 30 years.

I scrolled through a load of GIS results before making the call and couldn't find a picture either.

I remember him using webbing least once as a sling, but there's no way that a google search of "Spider-Man Web Sling" is going to produce the result that I want icon_e_confused.gif
  • Mechahamster
    Mechahamster Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    jobob wrote:
    With the exception of the 1 star.png you'd still rank at least half the characters in their tier above all of them though.
    ...Again... Don't forget about 5* Spidey... Easily top half, probably top 2... Possibly even best of the 5* tier.

Which is why my initial post started with 'with the exception of the 5 star.png ' icon_idea.gif
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't think the 4* Spider-Characters really need much. Their actives are in kinda weird colors, which puts them in an awkward spot: if you're choosing someone to go with, say, Miles, you don't particularly want to pair him with Hulkbuster, or JG, or Iceman, or even Gwen, because of annoying color overlap. If they'd print a good 4* that complemented their colors and played nicely with them, they would see play for sure.

Nobody cares about 2* Spidey.

During last run of Earth's Mightiest I happily played Miles with Hulkbuster, mostly because Miles could generate more red AP for Repulsor Punches. Worked quite well. Likewise, Miles and Gwen have some nice synergy when Miles sets the opponent up by making Web tiles and Gwen then knocks them down with Cherry bombs.
    I care a lot of Bag-man by the way. Just got him to level 144, and the LT I got gave me my first Black Bolt cover. icon_e_smile.gif
  • DTStump
    DTStump Posts: 273 Mover and Shaker
    So to sum it up...

star.png : pretty good
    star.pngstar.png : the worst of the tier
    star.pngstar.pngstar.png : bottom ten, but formerly dominant
    star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png : arguably one of the best in the tier

--> verdict: Peter Parker totally sucks.

(Does not compute)
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm actually glad MPQ are treating Spiderman like the jabroni he really is.
    All my comic reading life Ive had Spiderman rammed down my throat.

Spider-Man this, Spiderman that.

Hang on, stop forcing him on me I DONT LIKE HIM.

I was super pleased when Wolverine came along and stole his crown. Spiderman is no longer the face of marvel.

When I want escapism I want to go big, the more outlandish the better. Spider-Man just doesn't cut the mustard , he is not a Super-hero he's just an AVERAGE hero.

In closing...Spider-Man was the face of marvel but not anymore. Let's keep it that way. icon_lol.gif

We'll agree to disagree. I'm hoping the new MCU Spider-Man can win the title back. Super excited to finally have a good Spider-Man on the big screen.

To the OPs point, it's always annoyed me that the Spider-Man's haven't been better in the game (same with the Venom's). Hoping 3* get's a buff with the changes. As much as I like him I don't think we'll need a 4* Peter Parker, he's spread around well enough, just buff the existing ones.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    As far as the 3* version goes, I don't want to see him get a nuke. 1* spidey's red is fine but not really in theme for the character as far as I'm concerned. Also I just want there to be good support characters in the game and insisting that he can't be support in order to be good frustrates my design sensibilities.

The key to the design is that if a character doesn't have a way to end the game then they do have to have a way to not be the last character down.
  • thisone
    thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
    Some are totally missing the point of peter parker and spidey, he's the loveable underdog who everyone underestimates but who punches well out of his weight class.

He is represented just fine in game imo.
  • jobob
    fanghoul wrote:
    jobob wrote:

I remember him using webbing least once as a sling, but there's no way that a google search of "Spider-Man Web Sling" is going to produce the result that I want icon_e_confused.gif
    Haha, same thing... I tried "Spider Man web wound" and got diagrams of how to wind up his web, "Spider Man web cut" and got his web actually being cut, and web bandages just gives me band-aid shopping results.
  • jobob
    jobob wrote:

I thought I remembered it in something I had read somewhat recently... Where he had gotten some big gash and webbed it up kind of like superglue to stop the bleeding, but I looked back over some of the stories where he got the **** beat out of him, like Shed and Grim Hunt, and didn't see it.
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    jobob wrote:
    jobob wrote:

I thought I remembered it in something I had read somewhat recently... Where he had gotten some big gash and webbed it up kind of like superglue to stop the bleeding, but I looked back over some of the stories where he got the **** beat out of him, like Shed and Grim Hunt, and didn't see it.
    There was a scene where Ultimate Peter Parker did it after he got shot, just before he died in the Ultimate universe and was replaced by Miles Morales. But yeah I don't remember ever seeing him doing it in the main universe.
  • jobob
    There was a scene where Ultimate Peter Parker did it after he got shot, just before he died in the Ultimate universe and was replaced by Miles Morales. But yeah I don't remember ever seeing him doing it in the main universe.
    Could be what I was thinking about, wasn't too long ago that I read Death of Spider-Man.

LOL, that's the problem with something like Marvel Unlimited... so many reading options, they all blend together after awhile!
  • Looooooooser icon_twisted.gif