Me or Customer Services, who is right?

13»

Comments

• Meander
    Meander Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    JVReal wrote:
    A company that establishes a policy of having options but not allowing the customer service rep to utilize them is a company that I would not work for or do business with.

Hate to tell you but you already do. First, obviously you're playing this game, and we've all seen extremely conflicting reports on what CS can/can't/won't do. Second, I'm betting you deal with banking at some point. Third, if you have a 401(k) or anything of the like (IRA, SEP, SIMPLE, 403(b) etc...), it's run by an insurance company.

I mentioned that there are legal reasons why these reps can't bring up options to you. A great example is the classic "What should I do" question to an insurance/investment company. The rep you're speaking to may have great ways to manipulate your policy that you yourself have no clue on. BUT THEY CANT TELL YOU. They are often not licensed as a financial professional, nor would the company expose itself to adverse risk by giving any fiduciary advice. Same goes for tax questions.

As far as options the company discourages speaking about, the classic is escalation. Generally supes/managers do have the ability to grant exceptions, but the reps themselves will also be judged on the amount of escalations they have over a time period. So while they easily know that what they're telling you "no" on, their manager can make happen, but its not in their best interest to do so. Complements get you nothing but a pat on the back. Stats get you fired. And these are just the easy examples, there's far more available.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Meander wrote:
    Hate to tell you but you already do. First, obviously you're playing this game, and we've all seen extremely conflicting reports on what CS can/can't/won't do. Second, I'm betting you deal with banking at some point. Third, if you have a 401(k) or anything of the like (IRA, SEP, SIMPLE, 403(b) etc...), it's run by an insurance company.

I mentioned that there are legal reasons why these reps can't bring up options to you. A great example is the classic "What should I do" question to an insurance/investment company. The rep you're speaking to may have great ways to manipulate your policy that you yourself have no clue on. BUT THEY CANT TELL YOU. They are often not licensed as a financial professional, nor would the company expose itself to adverse risk by giving any fiduciary advice. Same goes for tax questions.

As far as options the company discourages speaking about, the classic is escalation. Generally supes/managers do have the ability to grant exceptions, but the reps themselves will also be judged on the amount of escalations they have over a time period. So while they easily know that what they're telling you "no" on, their manager can make happen, but its not in their best interest to do so. Complements get you nothing but a pat on the back. Stats get you fired. And these are just the easy examples, there's far more available.

Work in insurance, can confirm. I frequently get asked how something is taxed or what type of trust they should create or whatever - I usually know the answer but I can't give them anything except the most general information and then qualify it with "but you need to consult a CPA or tax professional" because I personally only hold the necessary license to talk about life insurance and annuities.
  • David [Hi-Fi] Moore
    David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
    @Gmax101

Please send me a private message with your Support ticket number and I'll have a look into it for you.
  • Tromb2ch2
    Tromb2ch2 Posts: 301 Mover and Shaker
    Is that a bird? Is that a plane? No it's super David to the rescue! My hero! (I know I referenced a stupid DC character but I really like that David is offering to look into it)
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    i go with cs on this. you picked the wrong thing. next time double check before buying your items... your never going to get a refund. NEVER runs down the D3 halls NEVER
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]@Gmax101

Please send me a private message with your Support ticket number and I'll have a look into it for you.

so some one who spends money makes a mistake gets a redo BUT if you pick the wrong level in a LEVEL event or if the system does it its too bad just another reason my wallet is sealed from this game
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    slidecage wrote:
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]@Gmax101

so some one who spends money makes a mistake gets a redo BUT if you pick the wrong level in a LEVEL event or if the system does it its too bad just another reason my wallet is sealed from this game

Pretty sure HiFi frequently handles escalations, doesn't necessarily mean that the OP will get the resolution he is looking for but at least it shows that they do care somewhat about CS. But don't let that get in the way of your martyr thing.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    slidecage wrote:
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]@Gmax101

Have you tried pming Hi-fi for help with your issue?

(Sorry Hi-fi!)
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    slidecage wrote:
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]@Gmax101

please see:
    viewtopic.php?f=7&t=52267

apparently they helped at least one player who was put into the wrong CL
  • PeeOne
    PeeOne Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    I'm with CS...

In your own description you were in a rush, before work, skipped through the prompts and didn't check what you were purchasing

Did you HAVE to buy in that moment of time?

Sorry but for my mind it's a life lesson

What gets me is YOU made the mistake and in the original post you threaten to never spend again if your mistake isn't rectified.

Perhaps if this does get swapped I should never spend again because to me this would be unfair
  • herm1978
    herm1978 Posts: 153 Tile Toppler
    PeeOne wrote:

Perhaps if this does get swapped I should never spend again because to me this would be unfair

Unfair?! Seriously?

How does it hurt anyone else if the buy gets changed into what was intended?
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Meander wrote:
    JVReal wrote:
    A company that establishes a policy of having options but not allowing the customer service rep to utilize them is a company that I would not work for or do business with.

I do not do 'business' with D3. I am free to play. I do not think the value is there for me to invest real money into their in-game currency.

I have a credit union that holds onto my money, I do not buy things through them nor pay them for their services. If they institute policies that I do not agree with I have the option to leave them.

I have sold Insurance. I understand what you are saying, when there is something they CAN'T do, that does not fall under the umbrella of things they CAN do. So my statement still stands that a customer service rep is better off stating that they cannot do what is asked of them, but also tell them what they CAN do. I cannot tell you how to invest your funds, but I can connect you with a licensed individual who can set up a personal meeting with you... I cannot take the ISO back and replace it with the HP, but I can offer you a one-time exception of a cover of some sort... I do not have the authorization to reverse that transaction but since this is a unique situation I can escalate this request for review by someone that is authorized to make those type of decisions.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    I think you misunderstood our point...the customer is not always right
    No, you're misunderstanding what that expression actually means. I can't believe I'm still having this conversation.

Ok I rambled a bit last time so I'll try to simplify my point.... I understand what the phrase means what I was pointing out is that phrase is wrong. As a professional psychologist if I took that approach with every patient who came in wanting psyche drugs I'd be enabling a lot of drug addictions.

The point of customer service is not to give whatever they want in the hope they will go away, it's to make them feel as though they have been listened to and that you have done what you can and given a resolution that is as fair as possible. I know that is not common perception of customer service (from the customer perspective) but that's only because everyone is viewing it with 1950s rose tinted glasses created by an awful PR guy and people haven't questioned whether that policy is correct or not.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    JVReal wrote:
    Meander wrote:
    JVReal wrote:

I do not do 'business' with D3. I am free to play. I do not think the value is there for me to invest real money into their in-game currency.

I have a credit union that holds onto my money, I do not buy things through them nor pay them for their services. If they institute policies that I do not agree with I have the option to leave them.

I have sold Insurance. I understand what you are saying, when there is something they CAN'T do, that does not fall under the umbrella of things they CAN do. So my statement still stands that a customer service rep is better off stating that they cannot do what is asked of them, but also tell them what they CAN do. I cannot tell you how to invest your funds, but I can connect you with a licensed individual who can set up a personal meeting with you... I cannot take the ISO back and replace it with the HP, but I can offer you a one-time exception of a cover of some sort... I do not have the authorization to reverse that transaction but since this is a unique situation I can escalate this request for review by someone that is authorized to make those type of decisions.

This is a far better example of how customer service should work.
  • homeinvasion
    homeinvasion Posts: 415 Mover and Shaker
    CS is basically Copy 'n Paste a well worded no. Don't think they have ever resolved anything for me. I know they all involve the words 'unfortunately' and 'unable'.
  • Gmax101
    Gmax101 Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
    herm1978 wrote:
    PeeOne wrote:

Unfair?! Seriously?

How does it hurt anyone else if the buy gets changed into what was intended?

I just wrote a whole post about that comment... but decided that actually posting might be counter productive....

Generous, maybe...
    Over and above what he deems reasonable, it certainly appears so...

but Unfair??? nope don't get it. icon_e_biggrin.gif

unless he did the same and they refused.........
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    A CS rep's job is to turn down customers as politely as possible. That's the bottom line and nothing else.

Look up how call-centres which handle outsourced CS (which is the bulk of all CS) operate. It's all fixed budget and any rep that does not manage to meet targets of 'helping' customers while remaining within that fixed budget ends up being fired and replaced. This is usually handled by contract; i.e. budget exceeded once or twice; formal warning. Next time budget is exceeded; canned.

That entire sector of business is cancer incarnate.