Me or Customer Services, who is right?

Comments

• IFORANI
    IFORANI Posts: 91
    To OP I really hope they do you right on this request honestly.

I, like hundreds of others have found this is not going to end as such. So my advice is to have some fun with them.

I chose this route in my last and final time I a asked for a REASONABLE request that was obvious a mistake such as yours.

I was denied my request therefore I unleashed the most creative and sarcastic response of uncharacteristic frustration I could muster. I found out they not only are equally capable but were nicer to engage with through the next 6 or so emails. I reached a level of customer service leadership I couldn't believe. This person not only keep this sarcastic and rage filled banter up but I'm sure I was passed around with no lube.

I eventually ended it with a nice sarcastic apologetic " My Bad". I would most definitely advise this if you are not satisfied with CS response it was the most enjoyable exsperiance I've had in my dealings. I refuse to deal with them period. I just like to share the same pleasurable exsperiance of introduction to hoarding of digital content.

Please let me know if you have a same exsperiance. Best of luck!
  • dsds
    dsds Posts: 526
    JVReal wrote:

If they refuse to budge, then you have the next line of recourse available which I have also never tried, but in previous games I've played, others have had success. You could go to Google, or Apple and ask for the refund from them and let them know you have attempted to seek resolution from the company and they refused. Sometimes they grant refunds.

Absolutely last course of action is to decline the charge to the credit card company, but that would piss off Google or Apple on top of D3.
    I think that would be considered a charge back. If I am not mistaken, that gets you an automatic ban whether you were correct or not. You only go this route, if you want to risk being banned. I guess it would be a last course of action because once you do it, you wouldn't be playing the game anymore. I am not even sure if threatening them with a charge back is a good idea either.
  • Jabrony_Geoff
    Jabrony_Geoff Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    I believe you are right however, this was my first thought.
    That's what you get for playing MPQ while half asleep.
    icon_lol.gif
    In any other retail situation if the goods havent Been used you can return the product and exchange or refund.

The nature of mpq purchases however can make this difficult. Like someone said above can they even take ISO-8 away?

Anyway it's anniversary (season of goodwill) If it can be done I would do it. The customer is always right. Give customers what they want and they will return.

That's my opinion

healthpack.png Peace & good health healthpack.png
  • adamdivine
    adamdivine Posts: 136 Tile Toppler
    This company should take note of this thread. Every CS experience I have had with them has been like this. They are so ridiculously afraid of people taking advantage of loopholes, they are unwilling to provide help or compensation for just about anything. The common refrain on the forum is to ask a mod to escalate the situation; but this is not an acceptable solution. How would the op feel if they explained the fact that goods can not be taken back once purchased and offered a loonies worth of hp? Explain it's a one time thing, etc. etc. Would you have felt ok about it? Maybe not happy, but ok? I think most people would. So in the end they give you 20$ worth of hp extra (which costs them nothing) and you feel like they took care of you. Even if every single person in the game did this, would it break anything? If CS even approached that level, you would see many complaints. Instead, we get CS that can't even be bothered to read the initial problem most of the time and just asks for information you likely provided in your initial complaint. It's a shame
  • Omega Red
    Omega Red Posts: 366 Mover and Shaker
    CS doesn't have the level access nor the authority to make such changes to accounts. They're hired hands whose main function is to offer basic app troubleshooting and be a wall to filter frivolous requests. Just explain your issue and kindly request your ticket to be escalated. Make very clear that you just tapped on the wrong product and in no way are looking to cancel your purchase. Messaging a red name wouldn't hurt I guess. In any case be patient.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    JVReal wrote:

Absolutely last course of action is to decline the charge to the credit card company, but that would piss off Google or Apple on top of D3.
    IDK about Apple but Google is quite accommodating in these situations
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    People saying "above all else, be polite" have clearly never dealt with THIS GAME'S Customer Service. lol. Uhm...........
  • Gmax101
    Gmax101 Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
    udonomefoo wrote:

I just thought of a complicated, but possible solution you could propose if this is the roadblock. Take a character you have covers in, but few or no levels. You put 120k iso into the character and sell it for 20k (just numbers from a hat, but you get the idea). CS gives you back the covers you had for the character you sold, plus the HP you were trying to get in the first place, but no iso.

Complicated, but the correct end result.

I thought of that this morning.... I have a couple of 2* waiting to champion in could happily use for that.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jarvind wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    Gmax101 wrote:
    Me or Customer Services, who is right?
    The customer is always right, no?

Clearly you've never worked in the restaurant or retail business.

Or psychology. Or healthcare or pretty much any industry actually involving the public.

In response to OP I'm sorry but I have to side with CS here, the mistake is with you. If they decide to grant your request they are doing you a solid. If the mistake was on their end it would be their responsibility to fix it. As it your (unfortunate) error I would say they have no obligation to rectify it.

Although this looks like a simple 'return of goods' it's a digital good so the rules aren't quite the same.
  • elvy75
    elvy75 Posts: 225 Tile Toppler
    Who says they can't remove things from account? When people abused rerolling LT all those accounts were recalled to pre-abuse state. Cs just needs to do the same now in order to remove iso, and then send appropriate amount of hp
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Or psychology. Or healthcare or pretty much any industry actually involving the public.
    Thanks for chiming in 5 days later to add yourself to the list of people who don't understand the actual subtext contained in the expression "The customer is always right". For those like yourself who need it spelled out, what they're really saying is, "the customer is always right, even when they're being an ****". And no, this has nothing at all to do with the OP. CS should've just given him the HP, then this thread wouldn't have had to happen.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    elvy75 wrote:
    Who says they can't remove things from account? When people abused rerolling LT all those accounts were recalled to pre-abuse state. Cs just needs to do the same now in order to remove iso, and then send appropriate amount of hp

Rolling back to an existing state is something entirely different than specifically removing a resource from an account. As a technical matter, this should be trivial. However, I think this is a big red line that they don't want to cross. I personally don't disagree with them. Of course, I think the OP is correct, they need a way to fix common good faith errors. It just seems like, for whatever policy reason, this is something they don't want to set a precedent too.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    Thanks for chiming in 5 days later to add yourself to the list of people who don't understand the actual subtext contained in the expression "The customer is always right". For those like yourself who need it spelled out, what they're really saying is, "the customer is always right, even when they're being an tinykitty". And no, this has nothing at all to do with the OP. CS should've just given him the HP, then this thread wouldn't have had to happen.

I think you misunderstood our point...the customer is not always right and saying they are only creates entitled people who will never accept responsibility for their failings and will assume it's always someone else's fault and someone else's responsibility.

As for the OP I never said he was wrong only that I agreed with CS on this rare occasion as the fault is with the customer not the provider. Would the situation have been avoided by simply giving in? Yes does that make it the correct course of action? Not always. Why? See previous paragraph
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    Thanks for chiming in 5 days later to add yourself to the list of people who don't understand the actual subtext contained in the expression "The customer is always right". For those like yourself who need it spelled out, what they're really saying is, "the customer is always right, even when they're being an tinykitty". And no, this has nothing at all to do with the OP. CS should've just given him the HP, then this thread wouldn't have had to happen.

I think you misunderstood our point...the customer is not always right and saying they are only creates entitled people who will never accept responsibility for their failings and will assume it's always someone else's fault and someone else's responsibility.

As for the OP I never said he was wrong only that I agreed with CS on this rare occasion as the fault is with the customer not the provider. Would the situation have been avoided by simply giving in? Yes does that make it the correct course of action? Not always. Why? See previous paragraph
    My experience with Customer Service through my life has been to do everything within your power to give the customer a satisfied experience. A customer can leave satisfied even when not getting exactly what they wanted. Instead of the Customer Service rep just saying what they can't do... they need to follow up with what they CAN do, and if that means offering to pass it along to someone that CAN grant that level of request to review it... then offer that. Don't make the customer ask you if there is something more you can do. Customer Service doesn't mean make the customer come up with the solution for you.
  • Meander
    Meander Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    JVReal wrote:
    simonsez wrote:

My experience with Customer Service through my life has been to do everything within your power to give the customer a satisfied experience. A customer can leave satisfied even when not getting exactly what they wanted. Instead of the Customer Service rep just saying what they can't do... they need to follow up with what they CAN do, and if that means offering to pass it along to someone that CAN grant that level of request to review it... then offer that. Don't make the customer ask you if there is something more you can do. Customer Service doesn't mean make the customer come up with the solution for you.

Yeah, clearly never worked in CS. You NEVER self-escalate. Often, there are things you COULD do, but cannot openly say them due to company policy, legal requirements, etc... And often, the threat of "I'll take my business elsewhere" isn't as threatening as you think, especially when it seems to be people's de facto response when they're unhappy. It becomes very 'boy who cried wolf'
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think you misunderstood our point...the customer is not always right
    No, you're misunderstanding what that expression actually means. I can't believe I'm still having this conversation.
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    I think you misunderstood our point...the customer is not always right
    No, you're misunderstanding what that expression actually means. I can't believe I'm still having this conversation.

simonsez is right here guys, what it says and what it means are completely different. I've always personally preferred the axiom "The customer is king". The king can be completely and totally wrong and still get what he wants.
  • Gmax101
    Gmax101 Posts: 182 Tile Toppler

In response to OP I'm sorry but I have to side with CS here, the mistake is with you. If they decide to grant your request they are doing you a solid. If the mistake was on their end it would be their responsibility to fix it. As it your (unfortunate) error I would say they have no obligation to rectify it.

Although this looks like a simple 'return of goods' it's a digital good so the rules aren't quite the same.

I think that is a reasonable interpretation, even if I am not sure digital goods are actually different to physical ones.

It was, as you pointed out, my mistake, hence me asking the original question of whether I was correct or not.

As for the resulting conversation on "Is the customer always right"... personally I think "Customer is King" is maybe a better version... even when they are wrong the over-riding principle of CS is to ensure that the final outcome leaves the customer as satisfied as possible. However, sometimes even a king asks for something that is utterly out of order, and at the point the CS operative has to try to explain why they are out of order as politely, yet firmly, as possible. If the "king" then chooses to throw a tantrum then as long as you have tried all reasonable solutions, they become the problem.
  • Tee
    Tee Posts: 231 Tile Toppler
    simonsez wrote:

Anyone who has worked in the retail or food service industry hears those words and gets a wee bit terrified as they usually mean they're in for the start of a rough couple minutes or hours.

They're not directing it to you, it's just the fear manifesting itself wishing the phrase to never exist.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Meander wrote:
    Yeah, clearly never worked in CS. You NEVER self-escalate. Often, there are things you COULD do, but cannot openly say them due to company policy, legal requirements, etc... And often, the threat of "I'll take my business elsewhere" isn't as threatening as you think, especially when it seems to be people's de facto response when they're unhappy. It becomes very 'boy who cried wolf'
    I have worked in customer service, in fact pretty much every job that interacts with a customer is a job in customer service. A company that establishes a policy of having options but not allowing the customer service rep to utilize them is a company that I would not work for or do business with. How a company treats a customer will either draw my business or lose my business as little as it may seem worth to them.

Disney themeparks have a wonderful philosophy of Customer Service. No I've never worked there, but they are always referenced in all the Customer Service programs I have been a part of.