PvP short season has been a miserable experience

2»

Comments

• MrCrowley
    MrCrowley Posts: 81 Match Maker
    First time in 6 seasons I have absolutely 0 chance of getting the final progression goal.
    Hated it.

Hops were pointless because they were either for 1 match of about 40 points, or double hops could be negative.

Overall a **** experience compared to the era before it.

I understand cupcakes are the cause of points inflation, but perhaps now there is not enough "cake" to share among players. Only a rare few reach the peak progression compared to PVE.

Fix this and it should go smoother.
    SCL modifications did not help that. Getting higher ranking does nothing for my roster if I dont get an extra 4s cover from it.

Keep tuning it and actually tell us if your idea is to keep 99% of players away from top PVP progress reward.
  • tchipley
    tchipley Posts: 63 Match Maker
    Loved the short season. Would like this to be standard moving forward.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Don't underestimate the part the deflation of the cupcake soufflé has played in those improved placements. A whole lot of players have cut wayyyyyy back on points.

I've put forth a similar effort as most seasons, and am top 50 on the season for the first time in over a year. I had been dropping, season after season, despite putting up a consistent 1050-1100 average and 2000 in sim; the last such season I wasn't even top 250.

Profiting on other's misery. I am so proud.

Weren't the cupcake brigade profiting from your misery previously?
  • Wintersmith
    Wintersmith Posts: 76 Match Maker
    Enjoyed the short season. Had hard moments, like - ~260 two fight hop and another -130 two fight hop, but hey, that's part of the game. You play and you learn.
  • smoq84
    smoq84 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    Great season for me too! At least top50 in all events, cp at 575points, the easiest season and shield progression ever... The only thing I was frustrated was the slowest versus ever with 4*Luke (those passive protect tiles were terrible), but this won't happen again so I can live with this.
  • Mechahamster
    Mechahamster Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    I played a grand total of 4 matches and got 4 elite tokens as my reward, 2 of which gave me 3 star.png covers I needed. So yeah, I can't complain icon_lol.gif
  • Pessi
    Pessi Posts: 170 Tile Toppler
    My first season where I've really taken advantage of boosted 4's. I thoroughly enjoyed using Flaptain/Daken on the 4cage event, insane numbers, few healthpacks.

I don't really push hard for PvP progression, but the 10CP really makes a difference. I might start prioritising PvP over PvE soon. I've gone from pulling one maybe 2 legend 20's per week depending on the pvp to nearly 4. For a transitioner to 4* that's a big deal for me.

Prefer a season to be a little longer though, four nightly might be more amicable. You are at the whim of the buff gods though.
  • MrCrowley
    MrCrowley Posts: 81 Match Maker
    I find it pretty sad that the thread is full of praise by people who never tried seriously in PVP.
    The easy-train has an even easier time, but if you actually wanted to progress in the same rate as the competitive top 5% or so, you are severely limited.

Any kind of catching up to the top is prevented by cutting off 15 cp from reachable progression.
    Those who actually put in a lot of effort to make progress are the worst hit. The ones who casually grind whatever rewards they can are getting a bit more - they are just happy with less I guess.

EDIT: guess who spends the money on the game?
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm in the enjoyed it camp. I hit 900 each event without needing to shield hop, finished top 50 or better each time, and for someone who has hit 1300 2 or 3 times in the past, the 10cp is very welcome and a real improvement for.me.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't think we should always have shortened seasons, but it would actually be nice to have it more than once per year. Maybe a few times? It's nice to mix things up, and it's easier to hit progression rewards on season events.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    As someone who rarely plays much PvP outside of the Simulator and occasional sniping, I loved it. I cleared the simulator for the first time ever and with relative ease. Also played more in a few of the events since getting the progression rewards for the season felt obtainable at that point. Didn't grind for the top though, stopped once the prizes started getting more spread out. For me it was the best PvP season I've been a part of.
  • broll
    MrCrowley wrote:

The lazy people, since the only reason to pay money in this game is because you're too lazy to earn the rewards slowly over-time (spoken by someone who's lazy and payzy).
  • Astralgazer
    Astralgazer Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    I love the short season. Wish that every season is short like this one. Sweet and short. Ofc I don't play for top placement or high progression. 575 in events, 800 in sims and Heroic 10-pack in total. I play for fun, and occasional rewards, so that the game would let me vent my stress at work; and not adding more time-consuming chores or (God forbid!) more stress.

Don't forget to have fun!
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll wrote:
    MrCrowley wrote:

The lazy people, since the only reason to pay money in this game is because you're too lazy to earn the rewards slowly over-time (spoken by someone who's lazy and payzy).
    I don't know, the whales I encounter tend to me the most hardcore players, not the laziest. They just prefer to pay to take the stairs, rather than try to climb up a down escalator that's moving as fast as they are...
  • broll
    simonsez wrote:
    broll wrote:
    MrCrowley wrote:

I don't know, the whales I encounter tend to me the most hardcore players, not the laziest. They just prefer to pay to take the stairs, rather than try to climb up a down escalator that's moving as fast as they are...

Fair enough, I was more thinking of the the small buyers of $30 - $50 a month. Someone more causal is more likely to do that, especially as their more likely to need to keep buying HP to not keep losing covers due to lack of roster slots. Statistically there's likely to be far more casual players like this than vets as that's a pool that only diminishes as people lose interest, burn out, etc. So outside of the whales I suspect casuals probably bring in more money to the game overall. It would be interesting to see if they outspend whale or not.

Also while I agree most whales are probably hardcore players, the only whale I know isn't. In fact it seems like throwing money in the game is the only effort he puts into it lol.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    OP: "Short season is miserable"
    Everyone else: "omgz0rs short season is so good more plz!"
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    Considering we could fit two of these short seasons within the same span of a current normal season, meaning doubling the season prizes for the exact same amount of time, why wouldn't we want to make the new shorter seasons the norm?