PvP short season has been a miserable experience

The Herald
The Herald Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
edited October 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Iron Fist?
Half a patch. The punishing half too! You couldn't accidentally give us a silly pointsplosion, just a terrible grind.

Cage?
Speed us everything to succeed at PvP, now more than ever. As a transitioner I was easy points when I tried to climb high. Hops were negative over 800 points.

Psylocke?
This one gave me hope! Until I lost points while shielded somehow lowering my final score. (This one is weird, and it's possible I mistimed my shield although I'm sure I didn't, customer support ticket is waiting for a reply).
This one may be unique to me though.

New Cage?
Same as old cage for a transitioning player, although it seems somehow worse (probably because the boosted characters rotated around).

This has not been a very good experience to play through X_X

Comments

• DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
    I actually loved the short season. But I'm lazy. I played for the 575 reward and the 800 in sim and 10-pack in season. It wasn't a slog. I would *love* more seasons like this.
  • chaos01
    chaos01 Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    I agree with strange. This season kept my interest to hit low progressions and I actually really liked it.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Easiest 25 cp season progression ever.
    Please shorten all seasons.

Kbyethx.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have definatly liked the shorten season for the fact that I can hit 4 PVP events hard then take 1-2 off and play relaxed before the anniversary starts.
    For the OP you are seeing the difference between the new PVP without cupcakes, which caused a lot of scores to shrink so more players are bunched together.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    I enjoyed it a lot as well.
    But I imagine a lot of that was to do with the first three PvPs having X-23, Thoress and Ant Man boosted, all of which I have champed, so the Thor/IM40 super combo just burned through opponents.
    I had less fun on the final one because the boosted 4*s in my roster all suck, so I fell back on Ice Man/IM40 and started running out of opponents before I hit 800.

As for a complete experience, the 4 event season was a lot of fun. I did the shield sim on day two, too. All in one go.
  • beyonderbub
    beyonderbub Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    Best season ever! Joined late each time got to 900 + every time and just milking simulator to place my best ever in over 20 seasons. Please keep seasons short and progressions low.
  • The Herald
    The Herald Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    Best season ever! Joined late each time got to 900 + every time and just milking simulator to place my best ever in over 20 seasons. Please keep seasons short and progressions low.

The season being short and the progression being low I've both enjoyed.

The events themselves have been horrible for a transitioning team X_X
  • JeffCascadian
    JeffCascadian Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    This is the first season I've ever done decently in. Part of that goes to my roster strengthening over time but a lot of it goes towards the lowered expectations of the shorter season.
  • metallion
    metallion Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    I'm actually hoping this shortened season becomes a regular occurrence. I preferred grinding over the course of a week or so and rest for a couple of days, as opposed to grinding over the course of a month and rest for the same couple of days, and I'm not even grinding really hard. Making the Sim final progression on day 3 in a single day as opposed to over a few days in regular season meant less stress to clear it as the season progresses, as I know a day of hard grinding there can give me the 4* cover. And the best part, getting the season 25CP for the first time since it was introduced, and considering my past seasons have seen me clear the 7.5k progression literally just one time, getting the equivalent of the 10k progression in just one shortened season shows how much easier this season was compared to the regular seasons.
  • beyonderbub
    beyonderbub Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    Profiting on other's misery.

My new motto and way of life icon_twisted.gif
  • ScrubJay
    ScrubJay Posts: 90 Match Maker
    The only time I've ever hit the CP progression for the season. I think it's mainly because 1/3 of my 4* champs were featured as boosteds.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    viewtopic.php?t=23189&p=291552

Here is my plea in early 2015 to please make EVERY season two weeks.

Helps transition STILL, since you get double the 4* rewards (in sim) and double the CP rewards (from season progression).

I'll repeat it from eighteen months ago: if you release a character every two weeks, make the seasons two weeks long! LOVE, love love love the short seasons.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm very happy with the short 4 event season compared to the standard 10 event season where I'm ready to quit by event 7
  • drayviper32
    drayviper32 Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    I love the short season!!!!! I played more PvP than usual. I hope D3 does more!!!!!!!!!!
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,233 Chairperson of the Boards
    Heck I loved it. The rewards came fast & furious, in both the season progression and SHIELD Sim. And with the new CL system, they were mostly useful 3* covers instead of a lotta junk. Not to mention the 10 CP at 575 now too.

Could we have more 10-14 day seasons, please & thanks?
  • amusingfoo1
    amusingfoo1 Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    The Herald wrote:
    Psylocke?
    This one gave me hope! Until I lost points while shielded somehow lowering my final score. (This one is weird, and it's possible I mistimed my shield although I'm sure I didn't, customer support ticket is waiting for a reply).
    This one may be unique to me though.

I did have that happen once; took several hits while I still had 5-ish minutes left on my shield. Took out my queues, and ended up losing several hundred points. From 976. And as I was still playing level 200-ish 4*s at the time, getting to 1k was a big deal. Customer service took care of me, though, thankfully (eventually; it did take several rounds of back-and-forth).

As for me, I'm probably getting my first top-5 placement (possibly as high as second; my previous best is finishing tenth twice before, both times by razor-thin margins), so I guess it's been good. I definitely can't say as it's been fun, though. Some of that has to do with IRL stuff, and some has to do with fighting so many A teams. I can do it, but it's a slog. I guess Sim was both easier and more fun than usual, though, so that part was good.

I hope the anniversary stuff is good.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    As for me, I'm probably getting my first top-5 placement (possibly as high as second; my previous best is finishing tenth twice before, both times by razor-thin margins), so I guess it's been good. I definitely can't say as it's been fun, though. Some of that has to do with IRL stuff, and some has to do with fighting so many A teams. I can do it, but it's a slog. I guess Sim was both easier and more fun than usual, though, so that part was good.

This mirrors my thoughts on the season, except my (presumed) T5 will be only the 2nd time I've been above T25. The first was when I missed the 1st event but got a fresh-ish bracket for #2.

To get there I used Whales 6 times and an embarrassing amount of HP. (part of that is using extra 300 shields to get around my life schedule, but still). Was it worth it? Meh. Was it fun? Heck no. But hey, 10 packs.
  • BearVenger
    BearVenger Posts: 453 Mover and Shaker
    This was the first season I picked up the CP prize. That was cool. This was also my best season for 4* covers via progression (when I went for the l7 tier).

I can't judge my success purely on the short season fornat -- the once-in-a-lifetime ISO lootdrop for SHIELD levels was a huge gamechanger, as were the change to point gain/loss and the end to setting up your own defensive teams-- but I would call it at least a neutral shift for my results.

This board becomes a downhill race to see who's been ruined the most, the fastest, but I had a good time, and I applaud the developers for risking the status quo to tinker with the format.
  • BearVenger
    BearVenger Posts: 453 Mover and Shaker
    Lemme add that I don't want to have this be the regular season pattern, but I found it a nice change of pace from the usual monthlong season.

Maybe something like long-long-short-break, long-long-short-break.
  • Oldboy
    Oldboy Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    The shorter season actually made me more interested in playing pvp and in maintaining my season score. I hope the shorter season can be a regular feature. Not every season perhaps but someone mentioned about alternating it or on a cycle.