Limited Pool of opponents in Events

Options
shteev
shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
edited October 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
So THIS is still a thing. It's good to be playing Nodes of Power again, as I hate secondary objectives and I have free rein to experiment with my decks once again, but I'm getting that old, old problem of facing a small number of opponents over and over again. Rather disappointingly, this time around, I'm getting opponents whose collections clearly aren't as powerful as mine, so I'm getting a pretty easy ride, my new decks aren't being tested well, and my matches are a little mundane.

There do seem to be rather a lot of people with perfect scores, so I wonder if other people are affected by this? It seems like a problem which is going to need fixing soon. We still face ANY of our opponent's possible decks, including Planeswalkers they have just bought running the default deck, and decks which are clearly full of terrible cards which are being mastered in Story Mode. And matchmaking is definitely not being based on the points you have, or your position on the leaderboard, or the cards you own or the strength of your deck.. instead, for no very good reason, the game just decides that you're only going to play against this handful of opponents, and that's your lot.

Playing against a random crapshoot of below average decks is what QB is for. I didn't join Platinum Tier for this!

Comments

• Cragger
    Cragger Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    My last refresh in NoP had me go 5/5 against the same guy. He got steamrolled. I lost 4 life in 5 successive matches.

It feels like something has been tweaked, but it's still clearly not an optimal "mix" of opponents if I keep playing the same guy.
  • Theros
    Theros Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I was in gold playing the same players. I just moved to platinum 2 days ago and to my surprise I'm playing the same players I've faced in gold.

small pool is generally good for objectives like saheli rai. last one, I placed at 14th place despite not losing any game and completing as much secondary objectives as I can
  • newbee1kenobi
    Options
    i have to aggree there, i feel like of all my match so far half have been vs fellow coalition members and other half ... well it seems they were ppl from bronze tier with lots of differents PW but with awful cards in their decks.
  • Oaklanbash
    Oaklanbash Posts: 46 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I agree with everyone. I thought I was doing great going undefeated in platinum... but my competition has not been very strong. I face a couple names I recognize but I think I am facing their PWs that they do not have optimized. Facing a LOT of decks with werewolves and spirits that were not removed from last event.
  • shteev
    Options
    There are at least 15 perfect scores right now in the event, I can't see any lower down the leaderboard tho.
  • Cragger
    Options
    At 150 perfect score in Platinum last night I was in 25th and it just kept going past that. It will be hilarious when the event ends with top 50 all at the same score.
  • Tilikum
    Tilikum Posts: 159
    Options
    You should only be able to dip P-Dubs that are presently on nodes.
    Not all these tranformy goofball decks.
    Of course, modern technology and the lack of super science computers prohibit this from ever becoming a reality.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Options
    Yeah. Post changes, the win % in platinum is so high. I have 170/175 points and I'm in 42nd place.
  • shteev
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Out of interest, anyone seeing a lot of these players? These are players I'm seeing all the time today. Not the only ones, but these are the one's whose names I recognise.

BaDJer, Certified, Quebecers, Marruk, GASTAK

Quebecers feels like an old friend of mine, I played every single game against him in one event. If you're out there Quebecers, hello!
  • Tilikum
    Options
    My brother FARTFACTORY says he keeps running into Certified. He also said he dipped your Chandra, Steev.
  • shteev
    Options
    Tilikum wrote:
    My brother FARTFACTORY says he keeps running into Certified. He also said he dipped your Chandra, Steev.

That's one I've been mastering cards in....
  • Tilikum
    Options
    Lol oh no!
    Coincidence??
  • shteev
    Options
    It seems like the brackets are much bigger than usual? Someone's just reported playing a player at rank 700.
  • paralistalon
    Options
    Me last game:

Oh no, he's charging up something huge! I'm in a race against a Crush of Tentacles! Damn, here it comes to wipe my whole board... Kessig Dire Swine? Thank the heavens!
  • Cragger
    Options
    shteev wrote:
    Out of interest, anyone seeing a lot of these players? These are players I'm seeing all the time today. Not the only ones, but these are the one's whose names I recognise.

BaDJer, Certified, Quebecers, Marruk, GASTAK

Quebecers feels like an old friend of mine, I played every single game against him in one event. If you're out there Quebecers, hello!

Yup! BaDJer was my 5/5 opponent. I'm down to 2/5 BaDJer right now with Marruk being another node.
  • AettThorn
    Options
    I've had a similar problem with a different impact. In my pool of opponents I have two griefing decks. One doesn't have any creatures, just supports and spells, so it can't win. But it has a ton of cheap removal cards so it quickly takes out anything I put out. The other seems to just be filled with cards that cause a game crash, so there's no way I can finish the game before something breaks. I seem to come up against one of these two decks once each time around the nodes. Which means a loss every time or me wasting hours trying to get through the first deck.
  • Cragger
    Options
    I did a node clear. 3 BaDJer and one Marruk. Again.
  • Cragger
    Options
    I did a node clear. 3 BaDJer and one Marruk. Again.
  • Oaklanbash
    Oaklanbash Posts: 46 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I have been facing BaDJer and Marruk a ton as well....

200 points, 40-0 in platinum and I have no chance for a mythic hehe. I miss RC!!!
  • Pqmtg-
    Pqmtg- Posts: 282
    Options
    Looks like we're all bring matched with same players. That really explains why so many people are tied at the top. No one is getting killed by the really good decks on mana screw anymore.