One month in. Questions. Observations. Advice.

Options
Orchedelia
Orchedelia Posts: 46
edited October 2016 in Roster and Level Help
Luckiest thing I ever did was get the 2* Thor on my second day. After a couple days, I pulled a 4* blueflag.png War Machine and things sorta took off. 1* Black Widow and my Thor just rolled over everything for me. Then - by luck or curse - the third week I easily had more 3* covers then 2*. Nothing I could really use, but I stick a 3* in there from time to time to test the abilities. And now I finally have an "appropriate" roster of 2* covers.

Anyway...now I'm just getting used to building my 2* heroes (2*Storm...what?? 2 lucky moves sometimes: GAME OVER) and I have a question about multiple covers I already have 5 of.
I have, in queue, 3 redflag.png 2*Thor and 3 redflag.png 2*Ms. Marvel - both of which I already have 5 of. (and I make heavy use of both of them) I also have 2 blackflag.png OBW I'm already maxed on. So, there are 8 2* covers I'm sitting on I can't use now. I really want 2*Thor to be green-heavy, but I have to max my covers to 13, before I can rebalance my colors right?
And can somebody help me understand the idea of "farming" - or is it too early to worry about that? I'm trying to figure out options before actually selling the 8 off for ISO.
Can I play TWO instances of 2*Thor in one match if I recruit my extra 3 redflag.png covers?

There is so much knowledge in this forum, and I know now that everybody says "don't open your Legendary"...but I did, and I guess I'm going my own route. And even though my roster is all lopsided, I do have plenty of excitement, challenge and frustration. I can't hang in there with higher levels of PvP, but I'm building, and I'll get there in spite of myself. Not going to toss out my 4*'s.

I really don't understand the whole alliance thing - can't find a "primer" anywhere (link if you have one, please). I'm kind of a solo guy anyway, but I'd like to understand what else is going on in this game.

Also...I keep getting awarded Health Packs, but I haven't found them yet. I do cycle my 10 regenerating ones constantly, of course. But I can somehow add "health" during a match?? Or before? I thought they would be in the page with "Boosts" and "Team-ups"....but no.

New character suggestions...Bluntman or Chronic?

And some solid advice...drink Fireball in moderation.

Comments

• morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Orchedelia wrote:
    I have, in queue, 3 redflag.png 2*Thor and 3 redflag.png 2*Ms. Marvel - both of which I already have 5 of. (and I make heavy use of both of them) I also have 2 blackflag.png OBW I'm already maxed on. So, there are 8 2* covers I'm sitting on I can't use now. I really want 2*Thor to be green-heavy, but I have to max my covers to 13, before I can rebalance my colors right?

If you max covers to 13, you can apply excess covers to respec. If you max cover to 13, and max level to 94, and then Champion that character, you get unlimited free respecs on that character without needing to use covers to change. You definitely want to level your 2*s to 94 then champion them, as you can then use the excess covers to level them to 144 (one cover per level), and you get rewards for each level beyond.
    And can somebody help me understand the idea of "farming" - or is it too early to worry about that? I'm trying to figure out options before actually selling the 8 off for ISO.

Farming is when you max your 2* champions off, then sell them, then recruit them again, and level. The net iso loss is about 2k, off the top of my head, from doing that, but you get extra 3* covers and HP in return, so it's worthwhile.
    Can I play TWO instances of 2*Thor in one match if I recruit my extra 3 redflag.png covers?

Nope.
    There is so much knowledge in this forum, and I know now that everybody says "don't open your Legendary"...but I did, and I guess I'm going my own route. And even though my roster is all lopsided, I do have plenty of excitement, challenge and frustration. I can't hang in there with higher levels of PvP, but I'm building, and I'll get there in spite of myself. Not going to toss out my 4*'s.

Don't toss out your 4*s if you can afford to roster them. They won't mess up your scaling. 5*s will, though.
    I really don't understand the whole alliance thing - can't find a "primer" anywhere (link if you have one, please). I'm kind of a solo guy anyway, but I'd like to understand what else is going on in this game.

Alliances will give you free iso every day at minimum (100 iso per active alliance member). They also allow you to request TUs. In addition, you might get to meet some great people who can help you with the game and advice. At a minimum, I'd join a public alliance just to get the daily iso boost.
    Also...I keep getting awarded Health Packs, but I haven't found them yet. I do cycle my 10 regenerating ones constantly, of course. But I can somehow add "health" during a match?? Or before? I thought they would be in the page with "Boosts" and "Team-ups"....but no.

You can only heal in the pre-match screen. The additional health packs get added to the 10. If you're below 10 when you get them, they won't top up beyond 10, only if you have at least 10.
  • Orchedelia
    Options
    Thank you. This is definitely a puzzle. And a quest.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,603 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Orchedelia wrote:
    I really want 2*Thor to be green-heavy, but I have to max my covers to 13, before I can rebalance my colors right?

Step 1) get 13 covers (doesn't matter what color combination). Step 2) level to maximum, for a 2*, that's 94. Step 3) pay some ISO to Champion the character. Once championed, then you can shuffle the colors around freely whenever you want. Also, once championed, each additional cover provides a single level, with a bonus reward (with 2* hitting max Champ level at 144).

Selling a maxed 2* (at level 144), gives you a lot of ISO, and some HP. It only takes a tiny bit more ISO to re-level a new 2* from 15 all the way to 94, at which point you can start applying more covers for champ levels and champ rewards (which include 3* covers, tokens, HP, and CP, in addition to more ISO than the extra 2* covers would be worth if you just sold them instead). So selling a level 144 2* Thor would pay most of the cost in championing a new 2* Thor, and then you get to re-earn all of those rewards again. (and no, you can't run two Thors in one match, but if ThorA is defeated, you can use ThorB without having to spend a health pack, so there is some benefit to it)

It might be too early for you to worry about. Of course, I'm 500+ days in, and only barely farm myself (whereas plenty of alliance members that aren't as far in as I am farm regularly). I'd say to keep an eye on it, and if you can manage it, it doesn't hurt. Odds are you'll need those roster slots for any 3*s and 4*s you come across, but if you can hold off on opening tokens and spending CP (slowing your intake of 3* and 4* covers), and have extra roster slots to spare, you can benefit from farming early on. It might take a while to do, but the 125HP means more when your roster slots only cost a few hundred, where mine are 1k each, you know? Slowing your growth to 3*s and 4*s might not be the best thing ever, but the increase in HP will help you be able to roster other characters (so you don't have to sell them), and once you've got characters rostered, you can go crazy opening tokens to build them up.

So while it may be too early, you've got the advantage of being able to benefit from it way earlier than most do, so if you can manage it, why not? Might help you get further into the game faster, in the long run.

The reason not to open Legendaries is the 5* characters. A 4* starts at level... 70? And 3*s start at 40. Seems like a lot, but once you've built up your 2*s to champ level, they'll outshine 3*s and 4*s with only a few covers, and they'll be level 94 and up, so it won't be that big of a deal for your roster. But a single level 5* character starts at 255, which will make your roster WAY more lopsided. Supposedly they changed scaling to take care of that, but they never released the math, so nobody knows how much it's been "fixed". So a single 255 will completely overshadow the rest of your roster in a way that a few 4*s can't do to an early roster, even one just a month in.

At least join one for alliance rewards at the end of an event, and the free ISO each day in the Shield Resupply. You'll get better rewards as you can find more competitive PVE/PVP alliances that match how much you put into the game, but early on you'll get the most mileage out of the free ISO and extra rewards, even if you don't intend to really engage in the social aspect of an alliance.

Health Pack rewards go to the 10 that regenerate. If you have 10, and get 1 as a reward, you'll have 11. Once you drop below 10, the timer starts for them to regenerate. If you have, say, 6, and you get 1 as a reward, you'll go up to 7, and the regen timer keeps going until you get back up to 10. So you benefit in that it cuts the timer down to get back to max, but your max is still 10, so getting a health pack when you're under 10 sometimes feels like it "disappears". It's just the way it is.

You heal from the character select screen, which you can do before a match, but it's BEFORE you get to the boost/team-up page. Healing IN the match is only done by certain characters (Wolverine, Daken, Ragnarok, Kamala Khan, Rocket & Groot, Spider-Gwen, Spider-Man, etc; some heal automatically, some with powers, and some have "temporary" healing that only lasts in that match and looks green on their health bar, and some have "true" healing that sticks around after a fight, meaning you can take a weak Wolverine into a fight and let him heal up, and carry that health into the next fight, which is cool).
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Orchedelia wrote:

Pretty much. A level-maxed character can champion and freely re-spec at that point, so that's the ideal. But if you're collecting covers for someone you aren't building, you can use additional covers to reorient things if you aren't ready to level that character (which is how you used to have to do it). But the bottom line is, yeah, as long as there's room for cover growth, you can't lower the rank of another power.

You cannot. You, further, cannot play two instances of Thor in the same fight, regardless of mix. 2* Thor, 3* Thor, and 4* She-Thor are all independent of each other. There are other variants like that, but there are also some variants that CAN play together. For example, 2*, 3*, 4* or 5* Steve Rogers/Captain America can team up with Peggy Carter or Sam Wilson's Captain America variants.

The benefit to recruiting duplicate characters, if you can afford the roster spots, is that it means you can go that much longer without needing to use health packs. But I don't know if that's really a thing anymore with champions, since the covers you'd feed those duplicate characters are covers you're NOT feeding to your champion.

As far as farming goes, there's two types. There's "roster a character and add a second level in a power, train it some, and then sell it for a net ISO gain," but as far as I'm aware that's really only feasible at the 4* tier. I don't think any 2* or 3* can (but I could be wrong). The other type is champion recycling, especially of 2*, because you can repeatedly earn champion rewards for any given 2* by doing that. Collect 13 covers, max out the levels, promote the character, feed them another 50 covers, sell for ISO + HP, rinse lather repeat.

4* characters won't hurt you. The reason it's advocated that new players don't open Legendary tokens is because a 5* character when you're still in early days can ruin your entire experience thanks to that wonderful magical system known as 'scaling.' A single-cover 5* character, level-wise, is stronger than all but a max champion 3* or a high-level 4*, and their match damage is pretty gnarly, too. If you roster a 5* too soon, you'll find yourself reliant on them.

Hence the advice. It sucks to have a shiny token that you wanna open, and 85% of the time, what you pull isn't going to adversely affect you. It's the 15% 5* rate that you're not ready for, and would probably regret (either because you sold the 5* to maintain playable scaling, or because you rostered the 5* and immediately felt the pain).

But 4* characters? If you can afford the roster spots, knock yourself out. Just remember that you still need to build a bench of 2* and 3* characters. 3* champions will feed you covers for those 4*, and both 2* and 3* are necessary to get the DDQ gravy train rolling regularly (which is where you'll get at least 3700 ISO every day, plus 2* and 3* covers).

Short answer: free stuff. Being in an active alliance can net you an additional 1500-2000 ISO/day I've seen it happen where everybody in my alliance shows "played today," but some vagaries in the daily resupply have it such that I don't get 2000 ISO. Might just be timing, I don't know. But if the alliance is active, you can get up to an extra 2000 ISO/day. Over the course of a month, that'll max out a 2*, just for playing. Additionally, as you play PVE and PVP events, in addition to your own placement rewards, you'll get rewards for your alliance's performance in the event. The more active the alliance is in the event (i.e. the higher they place overall), the better the prizes. You're getting rewarded for how 19 other people do, in essence. Okay, so the answer wasn't that short, but it still boils down to "free stuff."

You'll only see Health Packs stockpile if you haven't been using them. My mobile account, which exists mostly for toilet play and so a friend of mine would have an alliance to join (although we've since gained an additional 18 members, yay), has over 400. I don't have the time to play PVE hardcore on TWO accounts, so I mostly just DDQ that one. My Steam account, on the other hand, seldom has more than 15 or so. I might have 10 and pull 5 from the taco vault, for example, but it's rare that I have more than that on Steam.
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DFiPL wrote:
    Pretty much. A level-maxed character can champion and freely re-spec at that point, so that's the ideal. But if you're collecting covers for someone you aren't building, you can use additional covers to reorient things if you aren't ready to level that character (which is how you used to have to do it). But the bottom line is, yeah, as long as there's room for cover growth, you can't lower the rank of another power.

Getting a character to the full level to champion can be a lot of ISO-8 to a starting player, especially when trying to get multiple characters to that point initially. As DFiPL says, don't be afraid to do a respec now if it is more beneficial than waiting until you have the character championed if that will be after the cover expires.

Also, doing this type of pre-champion respect that burns a cover DOES give you SHIELD Rank XP, so it is not a total waste of the sell price for the cover in your queue.
  • Orchedelia
    Options
    Thanks, all.
    My 2*Thor is 5/3/2 so I may not get to respec before the 2 weeks, but I think I follow most of what everyone has graciously offered. (Ms. Marvel, same, at 5-4-2)

I may just go ahead and start the farm and feel that out, because right now I'm done with the lower 1*'s for now. Keeping Juggs, IM35...and of course I still have a crush on Black Widow's blueflag.png .
  • Eichen
    Eichen Posts: 176 Tile Toppler
    Options
    It isn't an answer to any of your questions but another Very Very important thing for new players is don't spend HP on anything except Roster Spots!

If your tempted to add a cover with HP, don't.
    If your tempted to buy tokens with HP, don't.

The first "wall" a new player runs into is roster spots. Each time you buy one they get more expensive until they finally top out at 1000HP. So unless you are planning on spending a bunch of money on the game save your HP for roster spots.

Right after you hit the HP wall you will run into the iso wall. It's bigger than that wall over in China and the one that Trump wants to build added together. So don't waste your iso on standard tokens either, you are going to need it.
  • Orangecrush
    Options
    Stuff I would tell my kids if they were to play this game:

1. Don't ever spend HP on anything other than roster slots. When you are sitting at 60+ slots we can revisit this advice.

2. Don't open LT or spend cp until the day you have at least 2 champion 4*. Think of it like a trust fund that you open on your 21st birthday. You won't remember the specifics of the day because you will have bought so much booze in celebration.

3. Don't max level any 1* with the possible exception of juggs.

4. Do max out and champion every 2*, then focus your iso on specific 3*. Don't raise every 3* on your roster a little at a time.

5. Start entering pve events asap.repeat all of the easiest nodes you can until they have green check marks.

6. Join PvP events with about an hour until the end and hit as many teams you can beat easily.

7. Do all the deadpool daily quest matches you can every day.

8. Join any alliance you can just so you get more iso from daily play bonus

Also, welcome to the game. I've put more hours into it than any other game in my life and think it's better now than it has ever been
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Duplicating characters to make use of the covers is a perfectly viable solution. It depends on your access to roster slots - ie, HP. If you're willing to spend to get them, duping both of them isn't a bad call. If you're going to be playing for awhile you'll probably keep one maxed-out and use the other for farming. Eventually, when the 2* become less useful, you'll just cycle one character in the farm and use the excess roster slot for new recruits.

Farming isn't worth worrying about unless you can afford those extra roster slots. Farming 2* requires that you fully cover them, champ them, and then level them with extra covers to lv 144. That's the only way to do it. Lv 144 gets you 62.5k Iso and 150 HP. Lv 143 gets you 17k Iso. The champs absolutely must be maxed before you sell or you will waste 50k Iso. Even then, farming is technically Iso-negative. You spend a little more than you get from the farm vs just selling the covers. But you do get CP, HP, and 3* covers, and also a boatload of XP, so most people consider it to be worthwhile.

In the beginning an alliance is mostly helpful for the daily rewards. Each alliance member who plays gets 100 Iso from every other alliance member who played that day, to a max of 2000 (20 member limit). You can also get team-ups, many of which will be inaccessible from your regular play. For newer players, these can be a huge deal. A deadpool whale can win you a match you were certain to lose if you collect enough gray, and a spiderman healing boost can bring your team back from the bring for victory. In higher-level play, if you get into a competitive alliance you reap rewards based on the peformance of the alliance as a whole, as well as your individual rewards. It's a great way to gain covers, especially if the alliance can manage top-100 or better.

Health packs regenerate up to 10, but they're awarded in progression and Taco tokens, as well. If you go over 10, you will maintain that surplus but not generate any new ones until you fall below 10. They don't work within a match, only outside of it. If your character takes damage, they will carry that damage with a slow rate of regeneration. If you use them in that state, they will enter the match with the amount of damage they currently have. If you use a health pack, they will heal up to full. The strategy on use is a gamble on when to use them. For easy PvP or trivial PvE, a damaged character is fine - they won't take enough damage to take them out of the match unless their health is critically low. For harder matches, where you think victory might come down to a few matches, you want them at full health. If they're damaged they may be downed partway through the match, making it more difficult to win. I recommend that you use them wisely, but definitely use them. It's not worth hoarding them unless there's a reward you want in an upcoming event and plan on a marathon game session. 10 packs should sustain regular play just fine.

You don't have to moderate fireball if you chase it with peppermint schnapps. To each their own.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Stuff I would tell my kids if they were to play this game:

1. Don't ever spend HP on anything other than roster slots. When you are sitting at 60+ slots we can revisit this advice.

Yep.
    2. Don't open LT or spend cp until the day you have at least 2 champion 4*. Think of it like a trust fund that you open on your 21st birthday. You won't remember the specifics of the day because you will have bought so much booze in celebration.

Disagree. With an 85% 4* pull rate on those tokens, waiting until he's been able to collect 13 covers for two different 4* *and* raise the ISO to champion them is basically a "you're never opening these, but look at your shinies!" message.

You're literally recommending that he ignore what will, eventually, be the fastest source of his 4* growth (unless he gets into a top alliance) until such time as he's maxed two different 4*.

I would say wait to open them until he's got a couple of championed 3* characters. The scaling difference will be negligible, and that's when covering 4* will start to take on more importance anyway.

(note: covering 4* and leveling them aren't the same thing, necessarily, but if you're fortunate enough to have some well-covered 4* by the time you start championing 3* characters, then you might as well.)
    3. Don't max level any 1* with the possible exception of juggs.

Again, disagree. Juggernaut is a fine 1*, but he can't carry a team alone into 2* land. Doesn't mean max every 1* in the game, but I think Juggernaut probably needs at least one companion, especially in the prologue - which he'll want to farm for the rewards.
    4. Do max out and champion every 2*, then focus your iso on specific 3*. Don't raise every 3* on your roster a little at a time.

I think this bit of advice is probably dependent on play style. If you focus on PVP, then the above is absolutely accurate. A few specific 3* will carry you further in PVP than scattering the ISO around. If you focus on PVE, I feel it's more important to have a broad bench to rely on so that you don't wind up with most of your roster being useless for a given node.
    5. Start entering pve events asap.repeat all of the easiest nodes you can until they have green check marks.

Yeah, don't let a sub end with the trivial nodes un-green-checked. That's leaving XP on the table.
    7. Do all the deadpool daily quest matches you can every day.

Yep.
    8. Join any alliance you can just so you get more iso from daily play bonus

Yep.
  • Orangecrush
    Options
    DFiPL wrote:

Disagree. With an 85% 4* pull rate on those tokens, waiting until he's been able to collect 13 covers for two different 4* *and* raise the ISO to champion them is basically a "you're never opening these, but look at your shinies!" message.

You're literally recommending that he ignore what will, eventually, be the fastest source of his 4* growth (unless he gets into a top alliance) until such time as he's maxed two different 4*.

I would say wait to open them until he's got a couple of championed 3* characters. The scaling difference will be negligible, and that's when covering 4* will start to take on more importance anyway.

(note: covering 4* and leveling them aren't the same thing, necessarily, but if you're fortunate enough to have some well-covered 4* by the time you start championing 3* characters, then you might as well.)
    It's more of a precaution to avoid getting a 5* too early. If you are in 2* land and get lucky and pull a yellow GG from a classic, it will be very detrimental to your pve scaling. Pve is going to be the bread and butter for the op for a long time.

Though, if you do hold onto cp until you can get a few hundred latest tokens pulls, it's likely to skyrocket your progression.
  • an1979
    an1979 Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    edited September 2016
    Options
    If you are going to free-2-play this game. (Though it would be nice to support it by buying responsibly ONLY spideycoin.png I personally think that 60$ is a limit and not buying like mad makes game more fun and challenging - every won reward matters)

Farm all 2* (beside Bagman) - this will generate most important imcoin.png HP

-7.779 ISO to get 350 HP, 5 CP, 3 3* covers and 5 heroics tokens and 246XP

After 3 times they will pay for themselves (when looking at the 1000HP roster slot) and start making "profit".

Don't go into mentality "I have to level EVERYONE"
    You will never have enough ISO for that.

Play PvE and PvP for imcoin.png HP
    DDQ for Taco Token.
    Ignore ISO for completing it whole for now.

Do not open tokens if you don't have free roster slots.
    Keep taco tokens as a health packs generator emergency.

Do NOT open legendary tokens or spend commandpoints.png CP 'till much later (like 1 year into the game...)

Do NOT level characters randomly.
    Only the best ones with enough covers.

When in need of roster slot SELL 3* beside the top 5 or 6. Later you will get them anyway, no problems.
    Keep 4*

Only one 1* is needed - Juggernaught.

Join an alliance that makes t500* in PvP - for 50HP. Leave if they don't and search for a next one, look for 19/20 members alliances.

EDIT
    *This depends on what Clearance Level you are. 25HP for t250 starts from CL4, for t500 from CL5. 50HP for both from CL7...
  • fanghoul
    fanghoul Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I think the two pieces of advice that I would give anyone about this game, that are against the grain of common wisdom are:

1) Go ahead and spend your CP commandpoints.png on 3* covers occasionally. There's a bunch of characters that work much, much better when they have a power at 5 covers than at 3-4 covers, and having characters that work well makes it easier to earn CP and other rewards. Plus, I never know if I'm going to get bored of this game at some point and stop playing, so why would I make the game less fun now, so that I have a big reward a year from now, maybe?

2) Throw away any 4*s you draw till at least day 100, unless you happen to really like the character or something. Keeping all the 2* and 3* characters already takes over 50 roster slots, which you're not going to have for a long time yet. After you have your 2*s over lv70, you will have almost no reason to ever use a single cover 4*. And since you don't draw a lot of 4* characters, (especially if you're hoarding CP), they're probably going to stay at 1 cover for a long, long time. Even after 4-5 covers, they're not particularly useful compared to a fully covered 3* character.

A 4* can be useful for their essential node during PvE events, but so are 3* characters, and 3* characters are easier to get more covers for the first year or so, so use your roster slots for 3*s, and not 4*s.
  • Kishida
    Kishida Posts: 310 Mover and Shaker
    Options

I've got 58 roster slots, and I can hardly imagine ever using HP for anything else. I did once buy a 3-hour PvP shield, but that was a decision that I won't likely make again.

And to the OP, don't spend ISO on characters unless there's a genuine need to do so.
  • Orangecrush
    Options
    Kishida wrote:

I've got 58 roster slots, and I can hardly imagine ever using HP for anything else. I did once buy a 3-hour PvP shield, but that was a decision that I won't likely make again.

And to the OP, don't spend ISO on characters unless there's a genuine need to do so.
    If you play LR regularly and have your 2* farm going, you'll soon earn a lot more hp than you will spend on roster slots. I personally buy the 100 hp daily pve token in hopes of getting a LT every day and use at least one shield in every PvP event and my hp continues to grow.
  • Kishida
    Kishida Posts: 310 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    If you play LR regularly and have your 2* farm going, you'll soon earn a lot more hp than you will spend on roster slots. I personally buy the 100 hp daily pve token in hopes of getting a LT every day and use at least one shield in every PvP event and my hp continues to grow.

Yeah, I do both and it's still a little tight. Last month I left a casual alliance for a more focused one and that has made a gigantic difference. I'm at the point where there are maybe 8-10 3* characters I haven't yet rostered, so it's mostly deciding whether to add them versus whatever single-covered 4*s are in my queue.
  • Orchedelia
    Options
    Great advice and options, thank you all. Since my original post a couple days ago, I joined a public alliance and got 3 CP and maybe 100 ISO...not much ISO, anyway. (I joined a 19-person alliance at random, becoming the 20th, and they all seem to play every day)

I'd also like to say I just championed my first 2* - Storm - five minutes ago, and very happy to move her colors around and start this ball rolling! 2*Thor and 2*Ms Marvel are close behind.

So...to continue the "alliance" q/a session.........
    If an alliance member sends a text and says they need help (like someone did)......what is happening? What is my responsibility/position? Does he access my roster and take somebody from me?
    I'm sorry to be somewhat obtuse, but this is my first game of anything ever (except Solitaire and Blackjack!).
    Do I "give up" a hero for one strike/one match/one day? Do I get something in exchange? When do I need to ask for help, etc? Yeah, I can jump right in, but I'd like to have a little awareness of benefits/repercussions.

thank you all.
  • jffdougan
    jffdougan Posts: 733 Critical Contributor
    Options
    When that happens, there should be a button you can click. You can choose up to 3 heroes from your roster, and they'll receive a team-up power from each of those heroes.

The heroes you send don't leave your roster, but you can't send them again for a while either unless the team-up gets used or deleted.

If they haven't asked for a type of power in particular (whales, stun, aoe, etc), I tend to ask first.

Edit: you get 1 XP per star on the power you send.
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,177 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Welcome to the game, and I hope you've been enjoying it so far.

I would echo everyone saying only spend your HP on roster slots. I've occasionally bought some shields in PvP, and I've regretted pretty much every single time. I think after every 5 roster slots you open, the price to open a new one jumps 50 HP. So right now for me it costs 650 HP to open a new slot and it will soon jump to 700. This does eventually cap at 1,000.

In general, I would say definitely hold onto your CP at this point. Personally, I'm not opposed to spending them to buy at least 3* covers though, although generally only one or two. Pretty much the only team I've done that is when I'm at 11 or 12 covers for a character and have a maxed color cover expiring in my queue. I'll use CP to buy the last one or two covers I need in order to champ that 3* character and apply the expiring cover to my champ rewards rather than selling it for 500 ISO. I typically don't have issues hitting max progression in PvE, so I get 25 CP every 3 or 4 days depending on the length of the event, so I usually make that CP back in a week or so.

This is just my opinion, but unless you have a 4* character with at least two covers, it's probably not advantageous to hold on to them right now. I'm around the Day 150 mark, and I have yet to have a fully covered 4* character. For the most part, a single cover 4* is just eating a roster spot and you probably won't use them all that often. I tried to hold on to all the 4*'s I got when I first started, but I had to sell some of them off because I just wasn't using them. It's better to have fully-covered 2* and 3* characters on your roster than a bunch of minimally covered 4*'s. The only drawback is you usually won't have the required 4* for PvE events, so you won't do well when it comes to placement.

In my opinion, I've had better and faster progression broadening out my 3* roster, which allows you to play more of the DDQ nodes. I ignored this mode for a good long while because I didn't have too many 3*'s, but definitely try and clear the three available nodes every day. That's extra ISO and XP. As you get more 3*'s, you'll be able to play Dat Required Character and The Big Enchilada more often, which will get you free 3* covers, and more Taco Tokens, ISO and XP.

My plan (and this is specifically my plan) is to get the remaining 3*'s rostered so I never miss hitting all the nodes in DDQ. I think I only have 8 left. After that, I think I'm going to try and get the rest of the 2*'s I don't already have rostered so I can get a good farm going. Then I'm going to really concentrate on adding 4*'s on a more permanent basis. Realistically, I'm probably a couple of months away from that happening.

The most important thing to remember is to be patient, especially if you're F2P. It can be discouraging to feel like you aren't progressing as fast as you want, but if you can just be patient and play the long game, it's not nearly as demoralizing.

Oh, and I've found IM35 is another good 1* character to hold on to. I would only keep one or two 1*'s at the most. Most people say keep Juggs, but I've opted for IM35 and he works well enough for me. Pretty much the only time I use him is for the very first DDQ node.
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DarthDeVo wrote:
    Welcome to the game, and I hope you've been enjoying it so far.

I would echo everyone saying only spend your HP on roster slots. I've occasionally bought some shields in PvP, and I've regretted pretty much every single time. I think after every 5 roster slots you open, the price to open a new one jumps 50 HP. So right now for me it costs 650 HP to open a new slot and it will soon jump to 700. This does eventually cap at 1,000.

Agreed. At this early stage in your playing career, shields aren't going to do a lot for you except burning your HP. Buy roster slots until the cows come home.
    In general, I would say definitely hold onto your CP at this point. Personally, I'm not opposed to spending them to buy at least 3* covers though, although generally only one or two. Pretty much the only team I've done that is when I'm at 11 or 12 covers for a character and have a maxed color cover expiring in my queue. I'll use CP to buy the last one or two covers I need in order to champ that 3* character and apply the expiring cover to my champ rewards rather than selling it for 500 ISO. I typically don't have issues hitting max progression in PvE, so I get 25 CP every 3 or 4 days depending on the length of the event, so I usually make that CP back in a week or so.

Also agreed, however I wouldn't buy anything but a thirteenth cover and then only if it's a character that is going to change your game. At the 3* level that means Cyke, Kamala, Iron Fist, and IM40, more or less.
    This is just my opinion, but unless you have a 4* character with at least two covers, it's probably not advantageous to hold on to them right now. I'm around the Day 150 mark, and I have yet to have a fully covered 4* character. For the most part, a single cover 4* is just eating a roster spot and you probably won't use them all that often. I tried to hold on to all the 4*'s I got when I first started, but I had to sell some of them off because I just wasn't using them. It's better to have fully-covered 2* and 3* characters on your roster than a bunch of minimally covered 4*'s. The only drawback is you usually won't have the required 4* for PvE events, so you won't do well when it comes to placement.

Again, agreed. Hold onto any of the top 10 guys, though: Jean Grey, Peggy, Iceman, Cyke, Rulk, Quake, Punisher, Hulkbuster, Nova, and Thor.
    In my opinion, I've had better and faster progression broadening out my 3* roster, which allows you to play more of the DDQ nodes. I ignored this mode for a good long while because I didn't have too many 3*'s, but definitely try and clear the three available nodes every day. That's extra ISO and XP. As you get more 3*'s, you'll be able to play Dat Required Character and The Big Enchilada more often, which will get you free 3* covers, and more Taco Tokens, ISO and XP.

Yup. You can jump ahead with a decent 4*, but your long-term interest lies in having a fully championed 3* roster. It'll accelerate everything else as you continue.
    The most important thing to remember is to be patient, especially if you're F2P. It can be discouraging to feel like you aren't progressing as fast as you want, but if you can just be patient and play the long game, it's not nearly as demoralizing.

Absolutely right. Set yourself reasonable goals and keep plugging away. I've spent a little bit of money, but that's spread out across almost three years now. Mostly just been playing a ton, getting lucky, and I'm pretty much at the highest level of play. My point is, you can get there. It just takes time more than anything else.
    Oh, and I've found IM35 is another good 1* character to hold on to. I would only keep one or two 1*'s at the most. Most people say keep Juggs, but I've opted for IM35 and he works well enough for me. Pretty much the only time I use him is for the very first DDQ node.

I can finally disagree! icon_lol.gif Max Juggernaut, get an MBW with 5 blue only, and then never do anything with 1* characters but sell them. Maybe much later down the line when you have more HP than you know what to do with you can roster multiple MBW's for sending out as TU. Beyond that, forget that the 1* tier exists.