Cosmetic Purchases

A lot of games have cosmetic content that can be bought by a player, and as I just stated in another thread, if I had money to spend on this game I would prefer to buy something cosmetic, so that I could support the devs while still keeping my roster 'honest' and enjoying the more challenging/rewarding approach to the game.

However I can't immediately think of anything the devs could introduce into this game as cosmetic content. Any ideas/suggestions for anything that might interest you?

Comments

• This game isn't very visual.

Bag versions all characters? Different tilesets? New effects when you match things?
  • PorkBelly
    PorkBelly Posts: 533 Critical Contributor
    Different costumes/animations for characters would be cool.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well IceIX could always release the Hot Coffee mod for Daredevil...
  • Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    Could very easily make layout skins.
    Like your main menu layout with it's blue bar and mission pages, roster, train pages etc. could easily have different "theme's"
    Iron Man / Star Spangled Banner / X-Men / Spider-Man

With little gleaming touches of whatever. You know the normaly drill although being that they have a small team I can't really see anything like this happening unless they maybe get teh community to design some... possible in a competition or something? Best 5 get picked to be put in game and the winners get ingame rewards or something. Meh. I dunno icon_e_geek.gif
  • PorkBelly wrote:
    Different costumes/animations for characters would be cool.

They already did different costumes with the lazy characters...
  • WHY MUST THOR WEAR TINY HAT?!?
  • WHY MUST THOR WEAR TINY HAT?!?

same size helmet - just a fatter Thor
  • radiopy
    radiopy Posts: 326 Mover and Shaker
    A lot of games have cosmetic content that can be bought by a player, and as I just stated in another thread, if I had money to spend on this game I would prefer to buy something cosmetic, so that I could support the devs while still keeping my roster 'honest' and enjoying the more challenging/rewarding approach to the game.

However I can't immediately think of anything the devs could introduce into this game as cosmetic content. Any ideas/suggestions for anything that might interest you?
    No.

If your goal is to support the devs, buy a bunch of HP and burn it on heroic tokens, which will get you useless Captain covers anyway and won't help you at all.
  • Support the devs, support the devs...look, I like the devs, I think devs are great, games are great, I buy games, I've spent $$ on this game, but this whole "I'm saying I'm philanthropic to justify my acceptance and use of microtransactions" just bugs me. Gaming would be so much better off without microtransactions but since gamers embraced it they now have to own it. There is no philanthropy involved when buying something. It's a consumer transaction fraught with potentially bad side effects and to try to fluff it up with charity fuzzywuzzy feels is a hypocritical mask and actually draws attention away from those who are in need.

Let the flames begin.
  • Hats. I'd fight with Hulk in a top hat.

Joking aside, maybe some new music? It would be cool if it was music from the films. I might actually turn the sound back on...
  • "Reading room" to read the stories of the covers we collect.
  • Viorala wrote:
    Support the devs, support the devs...look, I like the devs, I think devs are great, games are great, I buy games, I've spent $$ on this game, but this whole "I'm saying I'm philanthropic to justify my acceptance and use of microtransactions" just bugs me. Gaming would be so much better off without microtransactions but since gamers embraced it they now have to own it. There is no philanthropy involved when buying something. It's a consumer transaction fraught with potentially bad side effects and to try to fluff it up with charity fuzzywuzzy feels is a hypocritical mask and actually draws attention away from those who are in need.

Let the flames begin.

I partially agree, but want to point out that wanting to support the devs isn't (for me at least) about being philanthropic. As I stated in the original post, I prefer playing the game without spending money because it keeps it challenging and more rewarding. Buying covers or hp or whatever feels too much like an easy way out, a cheat almost. However, playing this way means I'm not contributing in any way to the devs, they're supplying me with hours upon hours of entertainment for free, with no advertising. It feels dishonest to take and take from these people without giving a little something back, but wish to do so without 'spoiling' my game.

And to the person who suggested to just buy heroics, even if I got **** and sold it all, I would still have some extra iso I 'paid' for, so not quite the same.

Also, I want Fixit Hulk!
  • SunCrusher
    SunCrusher Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    I feel similarly in the sense that I, too, wish to progress in the game at least partially based on my skill and not just how deep my pockets can go or how great or horrible my luck is.

Match-3 IS, to some extent, based on skill and strategy and the addition of skills and abilities adds another dimension. I personally want my experience to at least partially reflect this and so I really try to earn covers as opposed to spending HP to level a cover up, for example... But that's me.
  • Viorala wrote:
    Support the devs, support the devs...look, I like the devs, I think devs are great, games are great, I buy games, I've spent $$ on this game, but this whole "I'm saying I'm philanthropic to justify my acceptance and use of microtransactions" just bugs me. Gaming would be so much better off without microtransactions but since gamers embraced it they now have to own it. There is no philanthropy involved when buying something. It's a consumer transaction fraught with potentially bad side effects and to try to fluff it up with charity fuzzywuzzy feels is a hypocritical mask and actually draws attention away from those who are in need.

Let the flames begin.

I partially agree, but want to point out that wanting to support the devs isn't (for me at least) about being philanthropic. As I stated in the original post, I prefer playing the game without spending money because it keeps it challenging and more rewarding. Buying covers or hp or whatever feels too much like an easy way out, a cheat almost. However, playing this way means I'm not contributing in any way to the devs, they're supplying me with hours upon hours of entertainment for free, with no advertising. It feels dishonest to take and take from these people without giving a little something back, but wish to do so without 'spoiling' my game.

And to the person who suggested to just buy heroics, even if I got **** and sold it all, I would still have some extra iso I 'paid' for, so not quite the same.

Also, I want Fixit Hulk!

Don't continuously gripe about them on the forum. Don't speak about the game with an air of entitlement. Let them know how much you enjoy it. Send them cookies and a card.

I get what you're saying, this a personal best kind of thing, that's cool. But as far as being a customer goes, you're actually limiting your own gameplay, that's inherent in the way this game is built. On purpose. Five health packs and you're done, no Psylock no node, that kind of thing. So it's not dishonest if you don't support the microtransaction model, and it's not dishonest when the game has accounted for you by virtue of the way it's built. You're not its target audience but that's ok, you're not breaking a server and those 11% of the players who make most of the purchases are more than making up for your bandwidth. Your word of mouth is free advertising, your feedback on the forums is free data. etc.

I say all this as a non-dev and as someone who has spent money but damn, the devs know what they're doing with the whole microtransaction yet not pay 2 win thing and I for one am impressed by their technique. I just have real problems with the microtransaction model taking over the industry but y'know, opinions are like ****, everyone's got one. icon_e_biggrin.gif

eta: Please don't hate me, devs. It's not you, it's me.
  • I partially agree, but want to point out that wanting to support the devs isn't (for me at least) about being philanthropic. As I stated in the original post, I prefer playing the game without spending money because it keeps it challenging and more rewarding. Buying covers or hp or whatever feels too much like an easy way out, a cheat almost. However, playing this way means I'm not contributing in any way to the devs, they're supplying me with hours upon hours of entertainment for free, with no advertising. It feels dishonest to take and take from these people without giving a little something back, but wish to do so without 'spoiling' my game.

Also, I want Fixit Hulk!

Well, if you're that insistent on philanthropy you could always mail a letter to them with the money inside.

Or y'know, buy the maxed out HP package (20K) and splurge on LR tokens and let them expire.
  • This would be so cool. Like if Moonstone could change her outfit and cover to this: http://senderstruck.files.wordpress.com ... nstone.jpg
  • quadiak
    quadiak Posts: 177 Tile Toppler
    Interesting thread.

I too feel somewhat obligated as to rewarding the developers in some way, then I remember how absolutely blown out of proportion they have set their pricing and that feeling is soon replaced by contempt.

There was a time when I thought I should make a small donation in the way of purchasing a bit of iso-8 to level up my Patches when he was first awarded, then I roughed out a small calculation of what I would get for around $10 and it amounted to piddly squat all. Needless to say I decided not to make that purchase or any other.

I would still like to know the amount of iso-8 it would take to level a 3* character from 15 all the way up to 141 and what it would cost to purchase it. Considering that I spent 25000 iso-8(the equivalent of $50) to bring my Punisher from 95 to 107, I have no doubts to could be in the vicinity of $500 and if one was to purchase the HP to gain 10 extra covers at 1250/cover, one would definitely be over the $600 mark. And some call this microtransactions? HMPH This is just plain robbery.

I would love to see statistical data on how much money some people have spent to get their rosters and Alliances(which cost another $100 worth of HP for a 20 slot team). Although the skeptic in me would never ever believe they were being honest, and assume they spent up to 10 times what they admit to.

If I ever give them anything it will simply be a $5 purchase of HP with the intent of buying roster slots to house useless characters like Captain America which don't deserve to have the HP spent on them, but seem to be necessary for the developers to continue to make a rather large income and so they keep making him into various carnations and a mandatory character in certain events.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    quadiak wrote:
    Interesting thread.

I too feel somewhat obligated as to rewarding the developers in some way, then I remember how absolutely blown out of proportion they have set their pricing and that feeling is soon replaced by contempt.

There was a time when I thought I should make a small donation in the way of purchasing a bit of iso-8 to level up my Patches when he was first awarded, then I roughed out a small calculation of what I would get for around $10 and it amounted to piddly squat all. Needless to say I decided not to make that purchase or any other.

I hear you.

It's like when I get offered a ride and I think I should throw in some money for gas but then my friend won't sell me anything I want for my gas money. It's his fault, he should sell me stuff with the money I am giving him in gratitude for the ride.

We'll occupy this moral high ground together!
  • How about a white suit for hulk, same one as in the w patch cover, hairstyle included of course
  • quadiak
    quadiak Posts: 177 Tile Toppler
    Eddiemon wrote:

I hear you.

It's like when I get offered a ride and I think I should throw in some money for gas but then my friend won't sell me anything I want for my gas money. It's his fault, he should sell me stuff with the money I am giving him in gratitude for the ride.

We'll occupy this moral high ground together!

From the sounds of this post, your friend will be more than happy to be your designated driver!!!