any rumours on anniverary events?

Comments

• sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,157 Chairperson of the Boards
    Any hope of getting a lot of Devil Dinosaur covers? I've got him champed... I'd also settle for 10 evenly distributed Howard the Duck covers. For a "joke" character, he kicked my butt in the Gauntlet.
  • rubix_qube
    rubix_qube Posts: 69 Match Maker
    My most hopeful wish is that they will bring back the 20 person lightning rounds like we had during the first anniversary.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster wrote:
    slidecage wrote:
    what was last years
    First run of Galactus. The one we were supposed to lose...

And the Anniversary Tokens that were tighter than a duck's bum with their rewards.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    action711 wrote:
    Hulkfinite dealt with it just fine....not many freebies or celebration stuff though, just turned into a cash grab....

Please be nice to us this year D3

Hulkfinite + hard reseting the app was a functional stopgap solution. But not a terribly fun one.

I actually think the "supposed to lose" stuff is a bit overplayed too by the community (though I stand by what I said earlier, the design of the original galactus event was crazy). But galactus was just icing on the cake. The travesty of Anniversary 2 is that the rewards and events were **** compared to anniversary 1. they offered fewer anniversary tokens, those tokens themselves were (IIRC) actually worse than contemporary heroics (whereas Anniversary 1 tokens were flat out better than contemporary heroics). They didn't even run the 20-person bracket LRs (where have those gone by the way, didn't everyone love them?).
  • Pinko_McFly
    Pinko_McFly Posts: 282 Mover and Shaker
    Don't forget the bugged double ISO PvP where a good chunk of players only got prizes on maybe half the fights they won.
    And we got a big middle finger from the devs in regards to compensation because they had given out enough prizes already that week.
    Also LRs did not give out double ISO. They did give out 5k iso to compensate for that, even though active LR players would have had a lot more.
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    If I recall correctly, the 20-person LRs were an error, not an intended feature (that they generously left alone once the mistake was realized). That's not to say that they weren't awesome, or that they shouldn't do them again, only that I don't think they were something they meant to do in the first place.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    If I recall correctly, the 20-person LRs were an error
    I don't think you're recalling correctly.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    Last year players complained the % for Devil Dino was too low. The devs thought no one wanted Devil Dino (even though Anniversary is the only place to acquire him) so they increased his % quite a bit (along with all 3 and 4*'s overall). I opened at least 5 Devil Dinos and he is currently 4/3/5.

I am curious if he will be back or if they will make him a permanent character with MAYBE a buff since his skills aren't as good as when he was first released. I would really like to see the players who have carried him for the past 2-years be rewarded in some way for keeping him on our roster all this time icon_devildino.png
  • Cousin Simpson
    Cousin Simpson Posts: 1,086 Chairperson of the Boards
    I assume the short season XXXII was to make room for anniversary shenanigans?
  • waywreth
    waywreth Posts: 303 Mover and Shaker
    I assume the short season XXXII was to make room for anniversary shenanigans?

That is correct. They've noted as such in a few interviews/posts.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    There's two things I like to see in the Anniversary:
    1) a return of 20 person LRs (preferably with Devil Dino, Howard and Bagman being the rotating feature characters)
    2) a week-long side PVP, similar to Ant-Man & Cho's, which awards Devil Dino covers (preferably one of each).
  • Marine8394
    Marine8394 Posts: 301 Mover and Shaker
    slidecage wrote:
    Quebbster wrote:
    slidecage wrote:
    what was last years

guess so .. it was so bad i must blocked it from my mind
    By all means cruise the archives and find Ices Famous quote. icon_lol.gificon_eek.gif Talk about a volcanic eruption. Personally I just want a crash free, no lock up, please give me my rewards during anniversary, anniversary. Though I did like all the; Sorry for the inconvenience covers icon_twisted.gif
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Marine8394 wrote:
    slidecage wrote:
    Quebbster wrote:
    slidecage wrote:
    what was last years

guess so .. it was so bad i must blocked it from my mind
    By all means cruise the archives and find Ices Famous quote. icon_lol.gificon_eek.gif Talk about a volcanic eruption. Personally I just want a crash free, no lock up, please give me my rewards during anniversary, anniversary. Though I did like all the; Sorry for the inconvenience covers icon_twisted.gif

I wasn't here at the time, but I'm guessing you mean this:
    IceIX wrote:
    Hey all,

Wanted to share a few things about how Galactus works and what we're expecting versus what we're seeing.

To start, it seems like a lot of people are on a basic disconnect here, looking at the boss battle similar to how Ultron ran in terms of how things work. Meaning that Ultron should be going down pretty regularly. He's powerful, but his real power lies in the fact that killing his body doesn't stop him. You need to crush every one of his drones and main bodies to win. So winning rounds is a pretty regular occurrence. Game-wise, what this means is that players won fairly easily against Ultron and took their lumps against the drones. The stopping timer there was health packs based on when the drones finally wore you down. What this also meant is that the higher end Alliances would chew through the entire Event in about 12 hours and let it kinda sit for 3 days.

Galactus is different. The "minion" fights against the villains are relatively simple. They're there as minor hazards but relatively easily winnable. Galactus on the other hand is a massive threat. He's not going to be stopped by gnats. Iron Fist punching him in the toe isn't very painful. So he gets bored and swats them away. In game terms, this means that players are going to be beaten. Winning a round against Galactus is an achievement. You're supposed to lose. Every time you do, you're still chipping away at his life. It's an exercise in damage in aggregate. Over the 3.5 days, hitting him over and over to finally bring down the big bad is somewhat slow, but certainly effective.

Overall, most of the higher end Alliances are in Round 6 or knocking on the door to Round 7. Which is actually slightly faster than we were expecting people to get just based on the math. So everyone's doing pretty darned well in terms of progression. There are some teams rockin' the Winfinite, other teams that are pushing through with some interesting strategies (who woulda thought OBW would be a rock star against Galactus?). Not many Alliances are getting anywhere near full clears. Which is actually intended. You're supposed to lose your Health Packs on Galactus, rather than against the minions like on Ultron. It's also why we changed up the play method for this round too so that it's not just a flip flop between Ultron and minions till you win. There's a set number of times you can hit Galactus before you need to take a break to let minions refresh. That break means that you have plenty of times for Galactus drained Packs to refresh while you can go in and get some Black Vortex in. Or play Simulator (up soon). Or get your Devil Dino on when that starts up. It's a different design than the rush of Ultron where that was pretty much all players did while it was open.

Long story short, you all are doing really well against Galactus. Yes, the gameplay is different. I'm sure most of you aren't used to going into a battle with the idea that you may well lose. But given that you're still pulling out wins with pretty strong regularity, I don't see any reason this wouldn't continue into Rounds 7 and 8, and on to Cyclops awesomeness.

At the outset, going into the boss battle, you're looking at winning like normal. After all, it works elsewhere in the game, and it worked against Ultron. So suddenly getting rocked by Galactus is a shock. Keep at it. If things are really going to go poorly, we'll look at doing refresh timer changes and the like that we can do server-side as a quicker band aid style fix for run 1. After that, we'll figure out what we want to do for difficulty on run 2 (and any other runs that we do in the future, of course).

source: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=33616&hilit=Galactus+anniversary#p424811
  • justplainchips
    justplainchips Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    action711 wrote:
    Hulkfinite dealt with it just fine....
    Sorry for an unrelated (to Anniversary) question, but what's Hulkfinite?
  • Marine8394
    Marine8394 Posts: 301 Mover and Shaker
    I knew someone would just have to do it. Though seeing it makes me miss ICE. He talked with us allll the time. And honestly, obviously. I am sure anniversary 3 will be smooth.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    action711 wrote:
    Hulk + Mohawk Storm + whatever. Have Hulk tank, put green on the board, then clear the board of countdowns.
  • action711 wrote:

the version for that galactus was hulk/prof x/gsbw.
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Chipster22 wrote:
    I'm hoping it will be like Star Trek movies, where every other one is a good one.

The first was awesome, the second...not so much, third????

The wrath of khan was way better than star trek the movie.

And first contact was way better than generations.
  • Chipster22
    Chipster22 Posts: 299 Mover and Shaker
    tiomono wrote:
    Chipster22 wrote:
    I'm hoping it will be like Star Trek movies, where every other one is a good one.

The first was awesome, the second...not so much, third????

The wrath of khan was way better than star trek the movie.

And first contact was way better than generations.

I wasn't clear. I was referring to the anniversaries when mentioning first, second, and third.
  • Nellobee
    Nellobee Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    action711 wrote:

And works best when Hulk is buffed, so he can take more of a pounding.

George-Takei-oh-my.jpg?1334189545