They do listen

Comments

• Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    As for time sink? Id argue that's way better now. I don't have to spend 4 hours in pve anynore, even less so now the 4* that I usually aimed for is a progression which is a very easy to obtain with 3 of the least perfect clears known to man. Competitively you could argue it is worse I'll give you that.
    "no change" in time sink is due to their desire to have longer tougher matches. PvP takes more time (especially if cupcakes are truly completely gone), while PvE is a tad shorter for most. I can't tell if I'm spending less time clearing PvE modtly because my roster is stronger and more diverse, or because they lowered the number of clears. Trivial nodes are a breeze, but everything else scales up to 400+ after 4 clears. So for non-release events I typically get all my CP, and green checks only on the trivials. Fighting those level 400+ enemies takes another 10+ minutes per checkmark which usually isn't worth it for me.
    They have shown intent to try and improve every aspect of the game which we have complained about so far. That is the sign of people listening. The forum however does not, the devs and mods consistently ask for civility and constructive feedback (this is not the same as flaming) yet constantly get abuse. Who doesn't listen to whom?

I never said they fixed the whole game, I simple said that they do And are listening. Instead of rage flaming them we should be making what we say is worth listening to and getting rid of all the emotional hyperbole.
    IMO they don't listen, they hear. If they listened you would see more discussion from reds. As it is you only see announcements. The conversation is one-sided: red posts announcement, people comment, red ignores comments until next announcement.

Unfortunately the squeaky wheels seems to get the grease around here. And until we start to see more civil discussions coming from the top the people that shout the loudest will be heard above all others.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hear Hear!

I was on the cusp of quitting. The changes are invigorating. I've got more Iso. I've got places to spend it. I've got an active 2* farm that requires management. And I've got a level system that provides an Iso boost every 1-2 weeks, if I play.

Those "would you recommend" polls have been up and down for me. Initially it was an 8. Once I hit the doldrums it was a 3. Now it's a 9. These new features are potentially transformative - it's turning from an app into a full-fledged game.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Crowl wrote:
    Working as intended or not it is a truly horrible design decision on their part, they need to drop colours from the rarest covers and there needs to be some mechanism in place to minimise the impact of the rng hating you as far as actually drawing one at all when your only real way to progress is to hope you draw a 5* from your LT's.

I'm right there with you on the need for a way to use rare covers beyond "welp sell 'em for a pittance in ISO."

But honestly, the drop rate for 5* from Legendaries is double the drop rate of 4* from Heroics, and that doubled drop rate is concentrated into (right now) 7 characters in classics versus nearly 40 in Heroics. So, I mean, that's certainly a thing, but it's not a NEW thing. The primary difference is that a different microcurrency is involved in the acquisition of Legendary Tokens.
    You could have a general counter for 5*'s so that if you go 10 LT's in a row without one then your next one is assured to be a 5* and for specific characters you could have a larger counter (say 40-50 range) to ensure that if people play long enough they will eventually get the covers.

Two things with that.

1) The principle in general I'm not opposed to; heck, I'd love to see something like that with Heroic tokens since I see more of those than I do Legendaries anyhow. That would be a boost to my 4* cover acquisition rate.

2) As we've previously discussed, the idea behind 5* is that they were supposed to be the rarest of the rare, and that you'd have to earn them - whaling wouldn't be an option. The addition of CP as alliance bonuses for player purchases over a certain level resulted in buyers' clubs so the whales could maximize their CP gain rates, and the forums are now filled with humblebrag where people casually drop "my maxchamped OML" or "my maxchamped PHX" or what-have-you. Are they the majority of the playerbase? Of course not. But pretty clearly the whales have been able to whale up their 5* regardless of the mechanics.

The difficulty is that a 5* streakbuster would further incentivize whaling activity around 5*. You're not putting that genie back in the bottle, but Demiurge do have to decide if they're committed to the "can't be whaled" original design philosophy. If they are, a streakbuster is anathema to preserving whatever vestiges of that premise remain. If they're not concerned with that idea anymore (and having 10 5* already suggests they may not be), then great. Bring it on. But introduce that concept to Heroic tokens as well for those of us still trying to cover our 4* rosters!
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    As for time sink? Id argue that's way better now. I don't have to spend 4 hours in pve anynore, even less so now the 4* that I usually aimed for is a progression which is a very easy to obtain with 3 of the least perfect clears known to man. Competitively you could argue it is worse I'll give you that.
    "no change" in time sink is due to their desire to have longer tougher matches. PvP takes more time (especially if cupcakes are truly completely gone), while PvE is a tad shorter for most. I can't tell if I'm spending less time clearing PvE modtly because my roster is stronger and more diverse, or because they lowered the number of clears. Trivial nodes are a breeze, but everything else scales up to 400+ after 4 clears. So for non-release events I typically get all my CP, and green checks only on the trivials. Fighting those level 400+ enemies takes another 10+ minutes per checkmark which usually isn't worth it for me.
    They have shown intent to try and improve every aspect of the game which we have complained about so far. That is the sign of people listening. The forum however does not, the devs and mods consistently ask for civility and constructive feedback (this is not the same as flaming) yet constantly get abuse. Who doesn't listen to whom?

I never said they fixed the whole game, I simple said that they do And are listening. Instead of rage flaming them we should be making what we say is worth listening to and getting rid of all the emotional hyperbole.
    IMO they don't listen, they hear. If they listened you would see more discussion from reds. As it is you only see announcements. The conversation is one-sided: red posts announcement, people comment, red ignores comments until next announcement.

Unfortunately the squeaky wheels seems to get the grease around here. And until we start to see more civil discussions coming from the top the people that shout the loudest will be heard above all others.

Interesting points. Again I can see your thinking on the time sink aspect and they are definitely shifting away from fast matches these days. For me this is not an issue as when I enjoy playing a game I don't mind spending time on it but i can see how that's probably just my own quirk. I was a serial t10 pve player before and so I agree the new system created a massive time sink at start of subs but the new progression rewards largely removed that from my play. If I had been a t5 and above player that would likely not be the case.

And while again you kind of have a point about communication it could he argued that they listen to our comments/complaints and then implement changes based on that. If they had to go back and forth wasting precious dev time on conversation with every single forumite the changes we've already had may have been even slower.

Brought some interesting counter points up though so I appreciate that.
  • OneLastGambit
    simonsez wrote:
    I didn't make anything up? I simply said that the higher clearance levels will maybe address the issue about which you're complaining. Surely you can agree that may be the case?
    And maybe one day you'll stop mindlessly white-knighting.

Why you think clearance levels would have anything to do with token redemption is otherwise pretty mystifying.

Ok perhaps then I shall be a bit clearer... Perhaps higher clearance levels will contain a 5* cover as a winnable prize from placement and/or progression. It didn't seem like a stretch to me to extrapolate that from the current prizing structure but I guess it needed pointing out. My apologies for assuming you had seen the same possibility I had.
  • Fightmastermpq
    simonsez wrote:
    I didn't make anything up? I simply said that the higher clearance levels will maybe address the issue about which you're complaining. Surely you can agree that may be the case?

Why you think clearance levels would have anything to do with token redemption is otherwise pretty mystifying.

Ok perhaps then I shall be a bit clearer... Perhaps higher clearance levels will contain a 5* cover as a winnable prize from placement and/or progression. It didn't seem like a stretch to me to extrapolate that from the current prizing structure but I guess it needed pointing out. My apologies for assuming you had seen the same possibility I had.
    You can't claim that RNG-based progression has been fixed because some day they might have known 5* covers as rewards. There is absolutely no evidence or precedent to suggest they would do that.
  • grunth13
    grunth13 Posts: 608 Critical Contributor

Interesting points. Again I can see your thinking on the time sink aspect and they are definitely shifting away from fast matches these days. For me this is not an issue as when I enjoy playing a game I don't mind spending time on it but i can see how that's probably just my own quirk. I was a serial t10 pve player before and so I agree the new system created a massive time sink at start of subs but the new progression rewards largely removed that from my play. If I had been a t5 and above player that would likely not be the case.

And while again you kind of have a point about communication it could he argued that they listen to our comments/complaints and then implement changes based on that. If they had to go back and forth wasting precious dev time on conversation with every single forumite the changes we've already had may have been even slower.

Brought some interesting counter points up though so I appreciate that.

So, the time sink that is PVE is still bad. Before you played 3 30-40minute clears with a 2 hour grind at end; now you play 2.25 hour grind at beginning and 2 hour grind at end. Now this is great if you have those times to grind, but not everyone has 2 hour grind time twice a day. Most people have 30 minutes here and there. As for fightmaster's complaint about facing ridiculous enemies, I totally agree. BOP is the best place to see this. At 550, almost everyone is using 4's over 5's even with 5's having massive match damage...why is that so? Because, Phoenix hits for about 19k for 9 red with 3600 extra strike tiles for later use and has 91k health. Teen JG is hits for 32k aoe and gets rid of all those strike tiles for 10 purple, or almost 28k aoe with 4 special tiles that equal out to 6000 strike, protect, attack for 12 green...and she has 114k health. There is a point where 4's overtake 5's and match damage just isn't enough. This is what the championed 5's are facing every pve. I have 3 alliance mates who has almost every 5 championed or all of them championed. They should be breezing through pve, but they all say they wipe more often now then they ever did before. Where they used to grind to top 10 or better, now they can barely get top 50 or less. On top of that, each match takes about 5-10 minutes because you are chewing through 180-250k health which your health is only at 90-100k. Thats a big discrepancy in health. It gets tiring, boring, etc.
  • OneLastGambit
    simonsez wrote:

You can't claim that RNG-based progression has been fixed because some day they might have known 5* covers as rewards. There is absolutely no evidence or precedent to suggest they would do that.

I didn't say fixed. I said fixing. Is it really so hard to believe that clearance level 10 might contain 5* covers? It seems like a logical conclusion to me. If I'm wrong then you can all tell me you told me so, all I'm saying is the doomsayers need to wait a bit before drawing conclusions from incomplete data.

There are firsts for everything and I think d3 have given plenty of evidence that They are trying to address our concerns even if it is baby steps.
  • Mechahamster
    Mechahamster Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    Basically the devs will always try to find that sweet spot between giving out enough so people keep playing, but not too much so people stop buying.

That's why they need our feedback, so they know when they've become too stingy icon_e_wink.gif
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    grunth13 wrote:
    So, the time sink that is PVE is still bad. Before you played 3 30-40minute clears with a 2 hour grind at end; now you play 2.25 hour grind at beginning and 2 hour grind at end. Now this is great if you have those times to grind, but not everyone has 2 hour grind time twice a day. Most people have 30 minutes here and there. As for fightmaster's complaint about facing ridiculous enemies, I totally agree. BOP is the best place to see this. At 550, almost everyone is using 4's over 5's even with 5's having massive match damage...why is that so? Because, Phoenix hits for about 19k for 9 red with 3600 extra strike tiles for later use and has 91k health. Teen JG is hits for 32k aoe and gets rid of all those strike tiles for 10 purple, or almost 28k aoe with 4 special tiles that equal out to 6000 strike, protect, attack for 12 green...and she has 114k health. There is a point where 4's overtake 5's and match damage just isn't enough. This is what the championed 5's are facing every pve. I have 3 alliance mates who has almost every 5 championed or all of them championed. They should be breezing through pve, but they all say they wipe more often now then they ever did before. Where they used to grind to top 10 or better, now they can barely get top 50 or less. On top of that, each match takes about 5-10 minutes because you are chewing through 180-250k health which your health is only at 90-100k. Thats a big discrepancy in health. It gets tiring, boring, etc.

While I fully agree with your sentiments and points, the numbers seem a bit exaggerated. I run 450 5* and I'm seeing a 1hr 30min opening grind and about the same for the finishing grind.

even when I was using a 4* roster, I would say it was 30 min per 1x clear, and 2hr 30min for final grind (usually good for T5 in a vet bracket.

So pve has definitely gotten shorter timewise.

that said, I now routinely see 4* rosters beating my team by 3-5 min per opening grind. Thats an absurd amount of time for top level pve players, and they either have weaker enemies, a better clearing strategy, or a faster device. probably a combination of all 3 factors. I'm still top 10 in events, so its not that big of a deal. But the physicist in me makes me wonder.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Phumade wrote:
    grunth13 wrote:

While I fully agree with your sentiments and points, the numbers seem a bit exaggerated. I run 450 5* and I'm seeing a 1hr 30min opening grind and about the same for the finishing grind.

even when I was using a 4* roster, I would say it was 30 min per 1x clear, and 2hr 30min for final grind (usually good for T5 in a vet bracket.

that said, I now routinely see 4* rosters beating my team by 3-5 min per opening grind. Thats an absurd amount of time for top level pve players, and they either have weaker enemies, a better clearing strategy, or a faster device. probably a combination of all 3 factors. I'm still top 10 in events, so its not that big of a deal. But the physicist in me makes me wonder.
    Same here. I know that I'm using optimal clearing strategy (I did all the math), but I'm still getting beat by as much as 15 minutes in some subs. Maybe the more competitive guys are using boosts or are just better. But I tend to think that 5* players are actually handicapped by scaling in PvE.
  • grunth13
    grunth13 Posts: 608 Critical Contributor
    Phumade wrote:
    grunth13 wrote:

The sweet spot is 4 stars championed with all your 3's championed for those events where your 4's aren't boosted and your 5's at 330-360. Their matches are faster and easier because ai powers are in tune with your powers. I am hearing that 4's overtake 5's around 320-330. I am currently running 460's 5's and only have 3 and the ai health starts to increase drastically making my matches longer. My alliance mates are running 470-500's and they are seeing horrible scaling because 5 powers just don't scale like 4's do.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phumade wrote:
    grunth13 wrote:

Same here. I know that I'm using optimal clearing strategy (I did all the math), but I'm still getting beat by as much as 15 minutes in some subs. Maybe the more competitive guys are using boosts or are just better. But I tend to think that 5* players are actually handicapped by scaling in PvE.

I agree too. PvE is clearly harder for 5 rosters.

I have defended in the past that now 5 rosters have the worst time in PvE by far, much tougher enemies and much much less teams configurations to beat those enemies (we need to play almost everything with the same chars, most of us OML+PH). Matches are also much longer. 4s scale A LOT when over 400, they are crazy strong, stronger than 450 level 5s. Now it is quite easy to see those 450 level 4s in PvP, Rhulk at that level had 70k hitpoint and was doing 28k AoE !!!! Stronger and faster than BlackBolt!!! So those enemies are deadly in PvE (Civil War specially was crazy hard).

If CL8 or CL9 or whatever level for 5 rosters was already open, at least we all would be fighting against the same time requirements, but right now in CL7 4 rosters have a much much easier time, specially when the top tier 4s are buffed.
  • David [Hi-Fi] Moore
    David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
    A respected user was banned for calling attention to a bug. I'll leave it at that.

False. No one has ever been banned for calling attention to a bug. That is welcomed and appreciated.

People have been banned, however, for repeatedly breaking forum rules. For example; for misrepresenting facts, insulting others, trolling, fanning flames, etc.
  • zonatahunt
    zonatahunt Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]
    A respected user was banned for calling attention to a bug. I'll leave it at that.

False. No one has ever been banned for calling attention to a bug. That is welcomed and appreciated.

People have been banned, however, for repeatedly breaking forum rules. For example; for misrepresenting facts, insulting others, trolling, fanning flames, etc.

David,

I do greatly appreciate your appearance to dispel rumors and misinformation, but may I ask why when in the middle of a forum uproar when we saw a 40% nerf in top progression rewards are these the types of topics you address, but not the most relevant and inquired upon ones? I ask this with no disrespect nor snarky tones. I'm just curious if you're being told not to address the most pertinent questions at hand, or if you're just choosing to ignore our voices? It doesn't escape me that the flames were fifty feet tall yesterday, but honestly they would die down quickly if the big questions were to be answered expeditiously.

Btw, thank you for modifying the reward back to 25 cp, but the anger would have been so much more easily managed if someone had just come out quickly and said "we blew it. Sorry!" Accountability, honesty, communication, and timely response to issues would lead to faithful and happy customers. You're company is run by humans, and it's okay if the decisions made aren't always something your customers agree with...but please, not addressing our questions but instead choosing to address a false accusation gives the appearance that the pleas and concerns of your paying customers are not of great importance.

Thanks for your time and hard work!
  • Fightmastermpq
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]

I know you have a tough job. I know there is a lot of garbage on this forum for you to sift through. And I'll even give you the benefit of the doubt in assuming that the devs don't give you nearly as much information in as timely a manner as you would like to do everything you would probably like to do in your current role.

But the fact is there was a major bug, reported by numerous people all over the forums. And your first response was to simply claim that nothing had changed, ban at least one respected member of the community, and essentially call a large portion of your dedicated player base liars. A "hey, I see a lot of complaints here and the devs are telling me there were no changes, but obviously something has gone wrong - let me keep digging" type of response would have scored you a thousand more points with the community you are managing than the reaction we experienced.

Maybe he was fanning flames, but the fire was started when you came in and started locking threads and shutting down discussion of what was a legitimate issue at the time.
  • OneLastGambit
    zonatahunt wrote:
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]

David,

I do greatly appreciate your appearance to dispel rumors and misinformation, but may I ask why when in the middle of a forum uproar when we saw a 40% nerf in top progression rewards are these the types of topics you address, but not the most relevant and inquired upon ones? I ask this with no disrespect nor snarky tones. I'm just curious if you're being told not to address the most pertinent questions at hand, or if you're just choosing to ignore our voices? It doesn't escape me that the flames were fifty feet tall yesterday, but honestly they would die down quickly if the big questions were to be answered expeditiously.

Btw, thank you for modifying the reward back to 25 cp, but the anger would have been so much more easily managed if someone had just come out quickly and said "we blew it. Sorry!" Accountability, honesty, communication, and timely response to issues would lead to faithful and happy customers. You're company is run by humans, and it's okay if the decisions made aren't always something your customers agree with...but please, not addressing our questions but instead choosing to address a false accusation gives the appearance that the pleas and concerns of your paying customers are not of great importance.

Perhaps at the time They were busy fixing the issue? Which Would you prefer that they fix the issue quick and discuss later or discuss it first and leave the fix till later?
  • David [Hi-Fi] Moore
    David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
    zonatahunt wrote:
    David,

It's pretty simple. I need to get info in from the devs. I put in a request. It's after 9 PM on the East Coast. Folks are at home. I receive the answer in the morning and it gets posted.

No one is willfully ignoring your voices.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards

Perhaps at the time They were busy fixing the issue? Which Would you prefer that they fix the issue quick and discuss later or discuss it first and leave the fix till later?

Maybe I'm wrong but community managers don't often actually fix bugs in the game.

And By often

I mean ever,
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Polares wrote:
    I agree too. PvE is clearly harder for 5 rosters.

Shouldn't it be, though?

A 5* roster implies you've practically won the game. Whether through grinding or spending, your roster is the best of the best.

PvE scaling is there to encourage progression of immature rosters. People without access to max-champ 5* can compete against reasonable difficulty, with grinding and the occasional expense. PvP is practically pointless for them. They can climb to a certain point, and then hit those 5* and get stomped with no chance at progression unless they spend thousands of Iso to skip.

That's the order of things in nature, but a game that wants to retain uses needs to use a little socialism. You can't let the top tier dominate new players in all aspects. That's not fun. So the little guys get a shot in PvE due to scaling. It's their chance to get their first 4* cover, vs a veteran who's looking for Hulkbuster lv 324 and doesn't even intend to use him after that.

I cry - no foul.