"New" Planeswalker Incoming!

Options
2»

Comments

• Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Options
    Was hoping he would be black/blue with those stats.

Probably for the best... Forgotten Creation + Behold the Beyond + Sphinx's Tutelage + other draw based bonuses would be insane with his abilities.

Now I just wish I had a prism array.
  • Ythalacuatha
    Options
    yunnnn wrote:
    Should I buy Jace as my first non-10g planeswalker? I'm a 10year veteran of MTG, and have been playing this game for 2 weeks. I luckily pulled Tamiyo's Journal and the Thopter-generating support mythic, so I think new Jace is going to be a solid pw for me. However, I have these concerns:

1. Is 15$ a fair amount to pay for a planeswalker? Please note that I've only been playing for 2 weeks, so I don't know how much they typically go for, especially the broken ones.
    2. Does he have a chance to be nerfed? I recently got onto these forums and the first thing I saw were the nerfs, so my wallet is clutched a bit tightly right now.
    3. Do you think he will be fun to play? I love love love liliana because it makes you plan your hand size, but jace 1.0 is just boring to me because his abilities are "fire-and-forget", and not that interesting.
    4. Should I focus on buying more cards or more pws? I've got ~5 of the big boxes so far, and all my original 5 pws are already level 60.

Thanks for your time in answering these questions!

I've only been playing a month, so I don't know if I am the best authority to answer your questions.

I have found cards have a much greater impact than PW gameplay.
    I haven't bought any but the basic PW, and am still having lots of fun playing. I occasionally feel outclassed,
    but its because of mythics and rares getting dropped, not the PW powers.

Will be he nerfed.... its possible. They made Kiora, and then realized they made her too tough, and nerfed her.

Finally wow.... all your PW are lvl 60 after two weeks! I am long way from that.
  • Mangus 73
    Mangus 73 Posts: 109 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I tried to get him today guys and got the error msg and had to send a ticket. No surprise there then.
  • Irving
    Options
    Hi! Here's my two cents:
    yunnnn wrote:
    1. Is 15$ a fair amount to pay for a planeswalker? Please note that I've only been playing for 2 weeks, so I don't know how much they typically go for, especially the broken ones.

Yeah, Kiora was something like $50 when she came out - I think this is about the least a new PW has cost.
    2. Does he have a chance to be nerfed? I recently got onto these forums and the first thing I saw were the nerfs, so my wallet is clutched a bit tightly right now.

There's always a chance, but Kiora dominated for a very long time before they nerfed her, and their swift response to player outcry (reversing most of the nerfs) should give you some confidence that he won't be tweaked too much.
    3. Do you think he will be fun to play? I love love love liliana because it makes you plan your hand size, but jace 1.0 is just boring to me because his abilities are "fire-and-forget", and not that interesting.

This one I'm not as certain about - Tezzeret was an attempt at a "supports-matter" planeswalker, but wasn't all that popular. This seems to be another shot at it. I got to make OG Jace play differently by combining his ultimate with Dreadwaters, and running a "get ahead and then deny mana" strategy that is actually fun (if slow). This Jace is going to draw a ton of cards with Tamiyo's Journal, so there might be some kind of low mana cost, high velocity deck to be built with a couple of creatures that you then buff with spells and his ultimate. It seems worth a shot.
    4. Should I focus on buying more cards or more pws? I've got ~5 of the big boxes so far, and all my original 5 pws are already level 60.

If you've got only 5 big boxes distributed over all of the sets, there might be room for you to get more cards yet, but only up to a point. Buying cards right now is mostly about getting the key commons & uncommons - you only get 3-4 rares per Big Box, and only occasionally a Mythic. Playing in events and being in a good coalition are the best ways to get rares and mythics. Once you have most of the commons and uncommons, it's probably time to spend your crystals elsewhere.
  • Morphis
    Morphis Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    Options
    yunnnn wrote:
    Should I buy Jace as my first non-10g planeswalker? I'm a 10year veteran of MTG, and have been playing this game for 2 weeks. I luckily pulled Tamiyo's Journal and the Thopter-generating support mythic, so I think new Jace is going to be a solid pw for me. However, I have these concerns:

Ok point per point reply:

1 - that depends on you. How much you can afford to spend.
    For me it was worth it and much more reasonable than other offers they usually make.
    Also I am playing since launch so sooner or later I had to support the game icon_e_wink.gif

2 - everything can be nerfed but I doubt he will.
    Even if that happens it will not be soon and not heavily.
    So IMO that's not a problem.

3 - he is definitely fun to play.
    Think is my second funniest deck right now(first being saheeli).
    Since you own 2 of the cards needed to make it shine(thopter and tamiyo) you can't go that wrong.

4 - usually you should go for cards first until you have a "decent" collection.
    This cause you WILL get Mythics but don't know which ones and so which planeswalker you can build a better deck for.
    Also while some planeswalker have strong and even deck defining skills, what matters the most is the deck quality.

Hope this helps icon_mrgreen.gif
  • Talain1
    Options
    I think there's a good chance of him being toned down ("nerfed") sometime in the future, though certainly not to the point of uselessness. Case in point: the online backlash to the original proposed changes to Kiora were swift and severe, and they very quickly backed down, and scrapped the proposed changes save for raising the cost of her first ability from 6 to 9 loyalty. And even with the original proposed changes she still would have been quite powerful (just not obscenely so); her main strength is in the access to the cards that she has, particularly the green mana ramp that fuels the deck. With all the cheap ways that she has to convert gems to green to fuel cascades it makes it that much easier to lock an opponent out of the game with repeated activations of the first ability; raising the cost of this ability makes it less oppressive. Also increasing the cost of Ulvenwald Hydra and Seasons Past will also slow down the buildup of loyalty which will also hinder repeat activations.
  • glggwp
    glggwp Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    Options
    anybody has any deck ideas for jace v2?
  • keeshond
    keeshond Posts: 8 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I was on the fence between this planeswalker and getting almost enough funds for a big box, or half a box (and yes, I can explain that, just give me time. icon_e_smile.gif ) went for the big box soi cause I wasn't too sure about Jace...now that I heard about what he does....maybe I should have gone for the new pw.
  • Wildkat
    Options
    Chavez303 wrote:
    Lets be honest...do you think the AI is going to save enough loyalty to play that second or third ability (unless they get a huge cascade)?

Exactly right. They either need to dramatically improve the AI, OR PREFERABLY add a true PVP format like they have for Pokemon TCG. If they ever add true PVP, and not tournaments against extremely lackluster AI, this game would blow up.
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,080 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    yunnnn wrote:

If you have doubts about spending money you could save up your crystals and wait 3 weeks until he is introduced in the vault. The standard price for exclusive mono colored planeswalkers is 250 crystals when they are added to the vault.

PS: really impressed that you have leveled up 5 of your pws in just the 2 weeks of game play icon_e_smile.gif
  • yunnnn
    yunnnn Posts: 168 Tile Toppler
    Options
    khurram wrote:
    If you have doubts about spending money you could save up your crystals and wait 3 weeks until he is introduced in the vault. The standard price for exclusive mono colored planeswalkers is 250 crystals when they are added to the vault.

PS: really impressed that you have leveled up 5 of your pws in just the 2 weeks of game play icon_e_smile.gif

Good call on the crystals, I'm going to do just that. I opened some reward boosters from events in the past couple of days and have been incredibly discouraged by the number of duplicates (esp since my current card pool is so small), so I think crystals will be reserved for pws for the foreseeable future.

As for leveling the pws quickly, I somehow built a control deck that could beat all the heroic difficulty fights (for 1650 crystals * 5 pws * 5 fights = easy max level woo).
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,080 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    yunnnn wrote:
    khurram wrote:

Good call on the crystals, I'm going to do just that. I opened some reward boosters from events in the past couple of days and have been incredibly discouraged by the number of duplicates (esp since my current card pool is so small), so I think crystals will be reserved for pws for the foreseeable future.

As for leveling the pws quickly, I somehow built a control deck that could beat all the heroic difficulty fights (for 1650 crystals * 5 pws * 5 fights = easy max level woo).

Ah right. The heroics. When i started out there were no heroics and qb only used to give 50 or 100 runes back then, so it took me a couple months to level up the pws
  • Xakarath
    Options
    So I purchased this and he's great. It's a bit more aggressive than Jace 1.0, because of Unravel. I play tutelage control, rush his ultimate and drop an Incubator Drone. The Drone Draws a card when cast, then Fevered Visions procs. By the time it's my next turn the Drone is 13/14 and the Scion is 13/13. I like to turn the Scion into a frog at this point, it generates me 39 mana. 9 of that mana goes towards a Pour Over The Pages. This causes 3 draw procs and leaves me with a 25/26 Drone, a 13/13 Frog and 30 mana towards my new cards. Hopefully I can proc multiple Pour Over The Pages for more Ult Procs.
  • JmanMTG
    Options
    yunnnn wrote:

Kind of a newbie player myself.

1. In Canada it's $19. You get a Jace PW, 15000 shards and a blue fat pack. Really you're getting the PW for $10 since buying enough crystals for a fat pack would be at least $12. I think it's a good deal. You get enough shards to level Jace to at least 30 right away.

2. Don't know the history of nerfs, but he just came out so I doubt they would nerf him right away.

3. He's awesome to play so far. Granted I only have the 5 basic PW so I don't have much to compare to. I'm doing quite well with him so far though, he's far more useful than Jace 1.0

4. Cards for sure. I got a few great black rares and they make me win far more than any of the PW abilities ever do.

Just my humble newb opinion.

Also First post!