Whats the point of Elite tokens?

2»

Comments

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    The point (IMO) is to replace standard tokens and lessen the amount of 1* roster covers that just get constantly trashed for ISO. It's a little surprising to me that they didn't do a full replace of ET in place of ST in all CL5 and higher, but hopefully CL8 and higher will get this 1:1 replacement.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll wrote:
    The point (IMO) is to replace standard tokens and lessen the amount of 1* roster covers that just get constantly trashed for ISO. It's a little surprising to me that they didn't do a full replace of ET in place of ST in all CL5 and higher, but hopefully CL8 and higher will get this 1:1 replacement.

But then, why not replace them with Heroics? They are almost the same, lets just replace any standard for heroics from CL5 and up.

Elites are the same tokens than Heroics but without the 4s, that's it. Almost the same, but slightly worse.So Elite tokens are useless right now. Just replace Elite for Heroics and we all win.

What we needed was 4 different tokens that awarded different things depending on your CL, something like:
    Standard: Where you could get 1s,2s and 3s ( 60/35/5 ratios )
    Heroic: 2s, 3s, 4s (60/35/5 ratios)
    Elite: 3s, 4s, 5s (60/35/5 ratios)
    LT: 4s and 5s (80/20 ratios)

This would make sense, and it would help clearly show which is your current progression state.

If Devs want to keep Elites as they are right now, they need to buff the chances of 4s and 3s A LOT in Heroics, so they are not basically the same token than Elites but without the 4s.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    You ask a question.
    Polares wrote:
    But then, why not replace them with Heroics? They are almost the same, lets just replace any standard for heroics from CL5 and up.

Then you then proceed to answer your own question...
    Polares wrote:
    Elites are the same tokens than Heroics but without the 4s

Personally I like Elites for the problem they are clearly aimed at solving (constantly cycling through 1* 99% of people will never use anymore.

I agree there are other problems they could have solved, but that's not what they chose to do.
  • insound0
    insound0 Posts: 30 Just Dropped In
    I think maybe its because when they open up more clearance levels theyll do a new token for just 3* and 4*. Then maybe it will make more sense.
  • mckauhu
    mckauhu Posts: 740 Critical Contributor
    I like elites for the reasons mentioned earlier: building 2 and 3-stars without having to worry you get a 4-star that you possibly either don't have yet or have too much covers for. It would just be wasted if there is no roster spot open or you can't make it champion yet.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    mckauhu wrote:
    I like elites for the reasons mentioned earlier: building 2 and 3-stars without having to worry you get a 4-star that you possibly either don't have yet or have too much covers for. It would just be wasted if there is no roster spot open or you can't make it champion yet.

Sorry, but for me, that just sounds a bit misguided. If you really can't use it, you sell it. It isn't like there's a lot of people flush with ISO with nothing to spend it on, and 1000 ISO > 500 > 250. A ~7% chance at a 4* is better than a 0% chance at a 4*. Period.

Now, it is obvious from the existence of these tokens that an under 10% chance at a 4* was deemed too good. We can speculate all day on why they thought that. My pure unfounded speculation is they didn't want to dissuade any users from resorting to buy clubs, who might have otherwise been content to rely on more of these random draws should 1 out of 15 give them a 4* cover.
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    They are great if you want to promote your 3*s to max level.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Looks like they got rid of the set twostar cover at 200 Points in PvP, instead clearance levels 6 and 7 get an Elite token and levels 5 and below get Another standard token.
    So... slight upgrade for higher clearance levels, downgrade for lower clearance levels.
  • I feel like elite tokens, being heroic tokens without the 4*s basically, makes these tokens easier to just ditch out in events. Standard tokens are nearly worthless since you get 1*s like 90% of the time but you get them in bulks easily. Elite tokens eliminate the 1*s so you will AT LEAST get 2*s and have a chance for 3*s.

Getting a heroic token pretty early on feels like you obtained something valuable that will hopefully get you what you want or maybe even a new character that you'd want to recruit. The same goes for elite tokens but they are less valuable since you can't get 4*s.

They can't ditch out heroic tokens everywhere because it'd be too easy to obtain 4*s, but elite tokens are fine.

Elite tokens mean we get a much bigger chance on getting 2* and 3* covers.

As a concept it just seems strange because we already have a similar token with just one change, but if it means they are more comfortable with giving out tokens for guaranteed 2* and 3* covers then I'm completely fine with it.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    I dont mind the elite tokens, but feel they are rewarded in completely the wrong place. Why should I only get elite tokens when I've finished 51st in a PVE event? Most the characters drawn from those tokens are still just 2*s.