Whats the point of Elite tokens?

bpcontra
bpcontra Posts: 176
edited September 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
These are pretty confusing to me. Why were these even implemented? Why not just give out Heroic tokens?

I read that they were there to help 2-3* transitioners, but the drop rate for a 3* is 24% in Elite tokens versus 24% in Heroic tokens plus a 7* chance for 4* characters so how does this help us?

Comments

• Arphaxad
    Arphaxad Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Don't compare them to Heroic tokens, they are to replace standard tokens are rewards. It increases your chances of 2* and 3* rewards by eliminating 1* from the token pool.
  • WelcomeDeath
    WelcomeDeath Posts: 349 Mover and Shaker
    That doesnt answer the question: why not give heroics? These are basically heroics with no 4*. Now if they kept these, deleted heroics and added a 3-4* token, thatd make sense.
  • chamber44
    chamber44 Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
    well, i just got a standard token for my day 870 resupply, so if they're eliminating Standard tokens, it would be great if they would hurry up about it.
  • yeah the hope would be it would replace standard tokens everywhere. especially node awards at higher clearance levels. that would be awesome.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    They can be given out in bulk -- 3 tokens per PvE sub is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than we've ever seen of heroics -- without creating a flood of 4* rewards beyond what the game is tuned to support.
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    I've received all of three Elite tokens since the implementation.

In fact, I think I've gotten more Heroic than Elite tokens since these rolled out... why they didn't just replace Standard tokens for CL6+ players or at least maybe SHIELD rank 50+ players boggles the mind.

Feels like another semi-hyped, over-promised, under-delivered aspect in a way. Many other things have been amazing in recent weeks, but Elite tokens are not one of them.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't know why they didn't just have Elite completely replace Standards by only giving you 1/2*'s at 50% each then make Heroics 3/4*'s with a 25% chance at a 4*.

I am just sick of Standards and I was excited about Elites because I never want to see a 1* again (except from random PVP wins). Just seems pointless to have a token that 90* of the time I am selling for a measly 100 Iso. I have to hoard about over 100 Standards just to get maybe 2 3*'s and a few 2*'s then sell all the 1*'s.. which is annoying to open because there is no "Open All" button icon_mad.gif
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Only issue I have with standard tokens is that 1* characters are supposed to be a tutorial of sorts. Well, okay. So you have the prologue, which drops those covers. With the introduction of Clearance Levels, you have to be at a minimum point to open up Story play. Given both of those things, once you're out of the prologue, why aren't all standard tokens in events replaced with Elite tokens? I get that they don't include 4*, which is a bummer, but 2* and 3* covers are useful to everybody - for newer players building their roster, and more advanced players who can use champion levels.

Like, I don't really mind them, but their place in the game ought to be as prologue rewards and as the token people can buy with ISO. Otherwise, it ought to be Elite/Heroic/Legendary (and possibly something in between Heroic and Legendary, at that).
  • rkd80
    rkd80 Posts: 376
    The standard token is antiquated and stupid, no longer makes any sense.

Drop it entirely, replace all of them with elites.

Make the 1* covers purchasable via ISO. Done.
  • DAC169
    DAC169 Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    Saves players from getting 4*s before they are ready, something players have complained of since .... late 2014? The pressure it places on players to load up on roster slots, the temptation it creates to skip ahead in roster development, yadda.
    Considering how easy it is to get 20 CP & buy a Classic Legendary with a 15% chance of a 5*, your point is kinda invalid. Granted it is harder to farm the CP yourself at lower CLs, but there's still you or Alliance mates buying ISO/HP to get you CP.

What we really need is not a nerfed Heroic, but the next progression after Heroic. Something with a large chance of 3*, small chance of 4*, and tiny chance of 5*.
  • nonnel
    nonnel Posts: 128 Tile Toppler
    How to achieve MPQ zen, lesson 2.

Stop trying to apply your own logic as to "why". You'll be happier

Peace and cat memes
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Arphaxad wrote:
    Don't compare them to Heroic tokens, they are to replace standard tokens are rewards. It increases your chances of 2* and 3* rewards by eliminating 1* from the token pool.

But they DON'T replace standard tokens as rewards. They replace some fixed 2* cover rewards, and some heroic/event token rewards. Elite tokens just seem like a way to give out more stuff without loosening the strings on those oh-so-precious 4* covers. They aren't the end of the world, but they don't make a ton of sense from a player perspective. Making things worse, they were pitched to players as a replacement for standard tokens.

Credit where credit is due demi/d3. There have been several very positive changes recently, but also some bad ones. In light of the botched announcement, this is one of the bad ones. But things could get better if elite tokens do eventually just replace standards for veteran players and effective boost everyone's iso income.
  • brisashi
    brisashi Posts: 418 Mover and Shaker
    I'll believe the claim that they are replacing stamdard tokens when I start getting them frequently and stop getting so many standards in CL7.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    I play some pve, but most of my alliance mates don't.

I was pretty happy when my top 1,000 reward was 3 elites instead of 3 standards.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    udonomefoo wrote:
    I play some pve, but most of my alliance mates don't.

I was pretty happy when my top 1,000 reward was 3 elites instead of 3 standards.

Seconded. I got thrown for a second when I got three sort of greyish tokens instead of the Heroic for T250, and then noticed they were elites. I'll gladly take 3 tokens for the farm over 1 that's mostly going to the same farm.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2016
    Vhailorx wrote:
    In light of the botched announcement, this is one of the bad ones.

A bad change? Getting more 2* and 3* covers in place of almost certain 1*s (or nothing at all where fewer tokens were in past awarded) is a bad change? Oh brudder. icon_rolleyes.gif

The announcement was not explicit enough. The pubs clearly stated which kinds of rewards Clearance Levels would affect. They also said that as part of clearance levels, Elites would replace Standards.

Why would anyone, reading those statements, assume that Elites were replacing standard EVERYWHERE??? Why would anyone reading that infer that awards not affected CLs would suddenly start featuring Elites?

... because that's what some players wanted to hear. And to that end they persist in pretending that's what had been promised said.

Give it a rest. Try to do better than stooping to games of "gotcha". The pubs and devs are not the clearest communicators. Never have been. Probably won't be anytime soon if ever. Even if they were super-polished pros, there's no excuse for projecting words into any wiggle room their statements allow.

You give it a rest aesth! playing "gotcha" with a marvel.com character release would be pointless. Those are mostly just marketing copy. Pointing out that the devs (via the pubs) distributed inacurrate information about a new game feature is a worthwhile endeavor on these forums. That's part of what they are here to do.

Although it now contains accurate information, Hifi's original post expressly said that Elites were replacing standards at CL 5 and above. That's just not true. The reality is significantly less player friendly. Elite token coexist with standards and replace from some prior heroic/event tokens.

In short, it appears that they exist for the purposes set forth in my earlier post: so demi can give out more stuff without giving out 4*s (they have always treated 4*s as a very rare commodity). That might be a fine rationale. But it should have been expressed to the players. It's fair to say when the devs have done something that is bad for us players. Just as it's also important to say when they have done something good (and I am sure you have read several dozen of my posts that do both of those things)

You also conveniently ignore the last part of my statement that points out that in the end, elites aren't that bad a thing if they just mean more iso for players.
  • Mechahamster
    Mechahamster Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    The elite tokens are a godsend for people who, unlike the majority of the posters here, are still working on building a solid 2 and 3 star roster. 3 guaranteed 2 stars and a good chance of a 3 star instead of 3 standard tokens with venom and yelena covers if your mediocre alliance barely finishes top 1000 in an event? Yes please!
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    The elite tokens are a godsend for people who, unlike the majority of the posters here, are still working on building a solid 2 and 3 star roster. 3 guaranteed 2 stars and a good chance of a 3 star instead of 3 standard tokens with venom and yelena covers if your mediocre alliance barely finishes top 1000 in an event? Yes please!
    It works quite well for someone like me who's moving to fivestarland and has a two-star farm too. Three Elite tokens are definitely better than Three standard tokens for my cover farm.
  • UNC_Samurai
    UNC_Samurai Posts: 402 Mover and Shaker
    If they're meant to replace standard tokens at higher clearance levels, why are there still standard tokens in node rewards?
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    If they're meant to replace standard tokens at higher clearance levels, why are there still standard tokens in node rewards?
    They replace some standard tokens, not all of them. Original announcement was a Little vague and people jumped to conclusions.