Fix the game lag issue before new character release!

Eec411
Eec411 Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
edited September 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Literally spent 20 minutes of the last hour of this PVE waiting for screens to load. Loading the node, loading the team, loading team-ups, in-game slowness, loading the xp won, loading the team-up earned, loading the prize earned, reloading the sub-event screen. Top of the PVE ladder is won by inches and this lag cost me first. I can only imagine how much worse it will be for a new character release.

Please, please, PLEASE fix the lag before the release or push the release until it's fixed.

Comments

• Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    No doubt. People on an iOS device with this lag are at a huge disadvantage right now. I can barely even play PvE the lag is so bad. Having this for a new character release would be terrible.
  • Bossblack
    Bossblack Posts: 80 Match Maker
    I am on iOS. Last PVE I end off as T5, 260 points from T1!

Without the lag I am pretty sure I have a chance!
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    That this has dropped to the 2nd page already tells me,

a) Fewer people are affected by the lag than I thought
    b) Fewer people give a **** about competitive PvE than I thought
    c) Devs stomping on cakes and giving woefully inadequate information about PvP changes have everyone too occupied for anything else

Some combination of the above...
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:

b) Fewer people give a tinykitty about competitive PvE than I thought
    c) Devs stomping on cakes and giving woefully inadequate information about PvP changes have everyone too occupied for anything else

I was just going to open a new thread with something like "10 days into R109 and R110 with the fix for the lag still not announced".

And yeah, fix still not announced, this is incredible.

Every time I open the App is really a pain. Opening tokens is the worst experience in the world so I decided to stop and hoard them until it gets fixed. Playing PvP with this super lag between battles, when over 1000 and off-season is a new type of experience I would just recommend it to my worst enemy. You can't just play, this game now needs to be played while doing other things because it is a nightmare...
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Polares wrote:
    I was just going to open a new thread with something like "10 days into R109 and R110 with the fix for the lag still not announced".

Given the history, the R110 notes are likely to be posted today. With a few exceptions, they go up every other Wednesday, with the update then hitting the following Monday.

So there's nothing uncommon about the gap in timing, as unfortunate as that may be.
  • Dartmaster01
    Dartmaster01 Posts: 634 Critical Contributor
    Polares wrote:
    simonsez wrote:

Every time I open the App is really a pain. Opening tokens is the worst experience in the world so I decided to stop and hoard them until it gets fixed. Playing PvP with this super lag between battles, when over 1000 and off-season is a new type of experience I would just recommend it to my worst enemy. You can't just play, this game now needs to be played while doing other things because it is a nightmare...

I agree, the lag is terrible. Maybe nothing has been posted here but it was announced in an in-game pop-up a few days ago. Should still be in news in the settings tab. Fix coming with R110.
  • alphabeta
    alphabeta Posts: 469 Mover and Shaker
    A reasonable and sensible request that has yet to receive an official response .......
  • ZekeBarrett
    ZekeBarrett Posts: 85 Match Maker
    Game lag is not only affecting ios. I'm on Android and the final grind in last pve cost me top 5. Some matches took 5 mins because everything went slow motion. Submitted a ticket shortly afterwards, still waiting for a reply.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:

First off iOS user that's definitely seeing the lag:

a) I'm affected
    b) I care about competitive PVE, got 5th in CL6 last time. (I don't feel the lag contributed to not getting T1, it was more life issues)
    c) Maybe
    d) The lag isn't as crippling as many people act like it is. It's a minor annoyance...

The lag is obviously something that needs to be fixed, but I roll my eyes everytime I see:
      The game is unplayable Lag must be fixed before x
  • FaustianDeal
    FaustianDeal Posts: 760 Critical Contributor
    Deadpool versus MPQ was telling for me because I tried to play on my iPhone. The first sub went terribly. The opening clears for sub 1 took nearly an hour longer than I expected. The game lag was so awful that, even making a pessimistic estimate, I was unable to finish my closing clears in sub 1 in the time I had allotted (which was substantial).
    After that I switched to a Galaxy tab to play all of sub 2. By switching I was able to move up more than a dozen ranks and catch a t5 finish that wouldn't have been possible if I had still been using my iphone.

The very top end of competitive PVE is all about speed. Speed doesn't exist on my iphone because of this bug.

I have the luxury of a work-around. Players who don't are not gonna be happy.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Game lag is not only affecting ios. I'm on Android and the final grind in last pve cost me top 5. Some matches took 5 mins because everything went slow motion. Submitted a ticket shortly afterwards, still waiting for a reply.

This is a different problem. When this happens close the app and launch it again and it will be fixed. It might happen again, but closing/launching again always fixes the problem. This has been plaguing the game for years now, and it has not been fixed or even acknowledged. I have complained about this repeatedly.
    Polares wrote:

Given the history, the R110 notes are likely to be posted today. With a few exceptions, they go up every other Wednesday, with the update then hitting the following Monday.

So there's nothing uncommon about the gap in timing, as unfortunate as that may be.

Well it is Thursday already and still no news... I hope it is still planned for Monday, if we have to endure three weeks like this... Shame on you Devs!
    broll wrote:

a) I'm affected
    b) I care about competitive PVE, got 5th in CL6 last time. (I don't feel the lag contributed to not getting T1, it was more life issues)
    c) Maybe
    d) The lag isn't as crippling as many people act like it is. It's a minor annoyance...

The lag is obviously something that needs to be fixed, but I roll my eyes everytime I see:

This my friend is YOUR OPINION so roll the eyes as much as you want, but I find it SUPER ANNOYING, if you don't then great for you, but please, don't tell me how I should feel about this. Oh and also check FaustianDeal comment and tell me it might not affect the way we play.
  • alphabeta
    alphabeta Posts: 469 Mover and Shaker
    broll wrote:
    simonsez wrote:

a) I'm affected
    c) Maybe

Lag may not be crippling for you but for some of us it is - 20 to 30 seconds of black screens are crippling when its per node with 9 nodes requiring 4 clears - that basically 20 mins of lost time when time is critical to score quite aside from the sheer boredom of playing when the game decides to let you.

Tool.
  • Tee
    Tee Posts: 231 Tile Toppler
    Mostly use steam.

On Android. Only thing I've seen is the longer loading times for the game's bootup. Way longer. Haven't seen anywhere near the 20-30 second lag spikes you guys seem to have outside of after it loads.
  • simonsez
    broll wrote:
    You sound like someone who's never missed a placement award by 17 points.

Let's do some math, because I know y'all love that. Let's say there are 10 nodes, and before each battle, your load screen is 15 seconds longer than most people's. That means on your clear to the timers at the start of the sub, you've got 10 minutes of extra load time. Let's average that over the 10 nodes and say that come the final grind, this results in an average of 5 minutes less regen time. Let's say a full point clear is 10,000 points. That means the regen is 3,333 points over 24 hours, which comes out to 2.3 per minute. Since you're hitting each node 3 times in the final grind, you'll be losing 6.9 points per minute of lost regen. So the 10 minutes of lag is costing you 69 points per sub. In a 4 day event, you've lost 276 points. I can't speak for your noob brackets, but in the brackets I've been in since the 24hr format, 276 points is often the different between first place and not making T5.
  • simonsez
    Polares wrote:
    This my friend is YOUR OPINION so roll the eyes as much as you want, but I find it SUPER ANNOYING
    Stop being so nice. It's not an opinion, it's demonstrably wrong.
  • LordXberk
    LordXberk Posts: 252 Mover and Shaker
    I seriously disagree w/ Broll above. The lag is awful. I applaud your patience in watching blank screens and drawn out loading times, but it's a freakin' match-3 game that already demands way too much time from the player-base, especially the hardcore players (typically forum users). Forget even the high end of PVE, I don't have time to wait 45 seconds between every single match. Lightning Rounds are so painful and doing multiple clears just to get the max prog in PVE takes >50% longer.

I don't know what % of users this is impacting (seems like many of my alliance members have complained), but it's a serious problem and it never should've slipped thru testing into the actual game. The fact that they're compounding it w/ a new release is really unforgivable. I know they need to release character after character after character to drive profits, but they should've given some serious consideration to delaying this one a week, or so.

Lastly, I know they've discussed compensation for this and we all expect something like 3 heroics and 1000 ISO. I would argue that amount is WAY too little. With the amount of excess time the devs have required from players to earn the same rewards over the last 2 weeks (assuming the R110 update fixes the issue), we should be talking about Legendary Token(s) and 10,000+ ISO. I know it'll never happen, but they're really destroying a lot of the goodwill they've built up lately.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Polares wrote:

Well it is Thursday already and still no news... I hope it is still planned for Monday, if we have to endure three weeks like this... Shame on you Devs!

In the hot fix thread David confirmed the patch is still on track for 'early next week.' So not 'no news,' they just didn't post the Patch Notes for whatever reason.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Orion wrote:
    No doubt. People on an iOS device with this lag are at a huge disadvantage right now. I can barely even play PvE the lag is so bad. Having this for a new character release would be terrible.

Heh, well don't be too envious of us Android users. We can't even guarantee our game will start when we try to launch it.

Android bug thread
  • Il galvanico
    Il galvanico Posts: 42 Just Dropped In
    Polares wrote:

This is a different problem. When this happens close the app and launch it again and it will be fixed. It might happen again, but closing/launching again always fixes the problem. This has been plaguing the game for years now, and it has not been fixed or even acknowledged. I have complained about this repeatedly.

Absolutely no. I'm in the same boat and especially nodes with waves is almost unplayable. You can try to close and launch again the app whenever you want, but the issue will stay.
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    broll wrote:
    simonsez wrote:

a) I'm affected
    c) Maybe

For starters, there seems to be a range of how much the lag has affected you. Have you considered that it might not be as bad for you as others? Time of day affects it considerably for me.

Second, "minor annoyance" is a subjective term. What percentage of the game time has to be spent dealing with lag spikes before it becomes more than a "minor annoyance?" 10%? 20%? I can tell you that in the LR, I literally spend >50% of the time waiting on lag, as opposed to doing anything game-related.

Third, let's be objective: the fact is that it is significantly affecting a significant portion of the player base's ability to play the game and their performance. Other objective facts: It is an issue that affects different players and different operating systems and devices differently. It is an issue D3/Demi has acknowledged as a problem. And it is an issue that they still claim will be fixed within less than a week of the Cage release.

So... Given the facts of the situation, why in the world is it not a reasonable request to ask them to hold the Cage release for a week.

The real answer, I suspect, is the release of the Cage series on Netlix, and I would guess the timing is out of their control. What IS in their control is compensation, and everyone should be receiving at least one Cage cover for having to suffer through this fiasco.