Here, have a small rant.

Options
2»

Comments

• span_argoman
    span_argoman Posts: 751 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Skyraker Giant is not a solution for Runaway Carriage in the Platinum tier.
    Of course it isn't and I never suggested it was. People in the Platinum tier have better counters and the cry over RC is not coming from Platinum.
    I'm curious to hear what these better counters in Platinum are for mono-Red against Runaway Carriage, especially one with Unblockable (whether from Rogue's Passage or Skeleton Key) and Reach/Flying+Vigilance.

And I believe the massive thread about Runaway Carriage when SoI was first released showed people from all tiers making noise about it.
  • Pqmtg-
    Pqmtg- Posts: 282
    Options
    Of course it isn't and I never suggested it was. People in the Platinum tier have better counters and the cry over RC is not coming from Platinum.
    I'm curious to hear what these better counters in Platinum are for mono-Red against Runaway Carriage, especially one with Unblockable (whether from Rogue's Passage or Skeleton Key) and Reach/Flying+Vigilance.

And I believe the massive thread about Runaway Carriage when SoI was first released showed people from all tiers making noise about it.

RC has all but disappeared from platinum. It is too slow and people have found ways to beat it before they die the slow death.

It's also worthy to note that mono red is very rare for this reason. Saheeli was a godsend to many people, and sarkan was always available(not great because languish isn't a confirmed removal)

Mono reds holdouts remaining are usually burn decks with harness the storm. The idea is that RC cannot out damage you, so why worry?
  • span_argoman
    Options
    Pqmtg- wrote:

RC has all but disappeared from platinum. It is too slow and people have found ways to beat it before they die the slow death.

It's also worthy to note that mono red is very rare for this reason. Saheeli was a godsend to many people, and sarkan was always available(not great because languish isn't a confirmed removal)

Mono reds holdouts remaining are usually burn decks with harness the storm. The idea is that RC cannot out damage you, so why worry?
    Bearing in mind that event matchmaking is still problematic and only matches you against a small set of players, I'm fairly sure Runaway Carriage hasn't disappeared from Platinum the way you say it has. I regularly face decks with Runaway Carriage even though it isn't every other deck like when it first came out.

They don't have to be mono-Runaway Carriage. They play multiple creatures and Runaway Carriage is there to help clear out your creatures when coupled with True-Faith Censer, Mantle of Webs or Origins Gideon's first ability. There's nothing to stop them from flinging down the Avacyns, Sigardas or for Green, Sages which grow indefinitely while your board gets cleared regularly.

I'm amused that you have generalised mono-Red decks into Harness the Storm decks. Koth is still one of the strongest Red planeswalkers available (imo now second after Saheeli) and he doesn't need nor should he be running a Harness deck. If there's anyone running a mono-Red Harness the Storm it's probably cause they don't have a better planeswalker to put the deck into.

The point was that an uncommon card invalidating an entire colour was a ridiculous design decision and they could have acted faster to do something about it instead of saying "hey look Red has defenders / Reach creatures too and we want you to use those overcosted creatures to counter this one uncommon card, or spend crystals to purchase Red dual-colour planeswalkers".
  • Pqmtg-
    Options
    Beat down koth is very strong but has 2 weaknesses : uc decks shut it down, and mass removal takes away it's tempo easily.

The danger of facing uc decks has made everyone put in mass removal, so it's kind of a meta thing. Koth certainly is rarer to meet now.
  • span_argoman
    Options
    Pqmtg- wrote:
    Beat down koth is very strong but has 2 weaknesses : uc decks shut it down, and mass removal takes away it's tempo easily.

The danger of facing uc decks has made everyone put in mass removal, so it's kind of a meta thing. Koth certainly is rarer to meet now.
    UC gets dealt with by Scour from Existence now. Mass removal is not that significant considering how easily Koth can throw down another full board.

Mass removal is really either Blue or the occasional Descend Upon the Sinful. I fail to see how it is more affected by mass removal than other decks. I would think White and Green with their ever-growing creatures get affected more.
  • Pqmtg-
    Options
    Pqmtg- wrote:

UC gets dealt with by Scour from Existence now. Mass removal is not that significant considering how easily Koth can throw down another full board.

Mass removal is really either Blue or the occasional Descend Upon the Sinful. I fail to see how it is more affected by mass removal than other decks. I would think White and Green with their ever-growing creatures get affected more.

I'm so sorry. I meant to type RC, not uc.
  • span_argoman
    Options
    Pqmtg- wrote:
    I'm so sorry. I meant to type RC, not uc.
    That makes a lot more sense. Yes RC made Koth beatdown decks a lot more variable in their efficacy. I'm using Haunted Cloak as a band-aid until the nerf to Runaway Carriage is applied. While it is a nice card, there are cards with better synergy for a Koth beatdown deck.