Character Re-balance Announced: Your top 3 for the 3-stars?

PuceMoose
PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
edited September 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
The devs recently announced that they're going to be working on re-balancing characters in the near future. While we don't yet know who they're going to focus on, or the scope of the changes, it might be fun to speculate on who needs the most help and who the most likely candidates are for buff/complete reworking style changes. Since the poll is limited to 15 options, I've done a quick scan on the fifteen that I would most like to see earn a little help to become relevant at that level of play again.

Feel free to post your ideas for changes, or add the one(s) you feel should have bumped someone else off of the list for top 15 in need of the most help.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• jgomes32
    jgomes32 Posts: 381 Mover and Shaker
    Ragnorak, Spider-Man and Sentry.
  • TazFTW
    TazFTW Posts: 695 Critical Contributor
    Psylocke, Spidey, Pun.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    "Need" is difficult to define. Do I want to see someone who is already semi-useful get the bump they need to really be relevant or do I just want the bottom feeders to not suck so bad? That's a tough one.
  • kirk justice
    kirk justice Posts: 60 Match Maker
    Spider-Man, Spider-Man, and Spider-Man. Sue me, but Spider-Man is my favorite comic book hero of all time and I really wish he was actually good in this game.
  • spghttihead
    spghttihead Posts: 74 Match Maker
    Gie 3* Spider Man similar or same power set as his 1* counterpart and you're set. His 1* is fun to play with but can only really be used in DDQ.
  • fanghoul
    fanghoul Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker
    I kinda like Spider-Man, but I've always felt that his spider sense felt like a downgrade after 2* Bulleye's tile generation. That seems like it could use some looking at.
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    I went with Spidey, Punisher, and Captain Marvel. Though I was tempted to with Psylocke and Colossus. But Punisher is so damn weak he buff across the board and Carol's red is useless. It needs to get rid of any special tile. And Spidey. Man, poor Spidey. He needs either a complete rework or to be made more like 1* Spidey.

I'd also like to see some tweaking to Doc Ock too. His blue really should cost less.
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    I only voted for spidey and hulk. Spidey for obvious reasons, and hulk because of that abysmal red.

I feel beast has no place on this list. He gets out of hand and snowballs with little effort. If he is paired with SW you almost always have a blue special tile on the board for boosting his green and yellow. Even on his own though his blue is dirt cheap and pretty good.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Psylocke hits so weak that it's pathetic. I think there are 2*s that hit harder than her.

Spidey is just useless. His stun is ok, but the other 2 powers are just bad.

Sentry was such a powerhouse that he needed a slight nerf, but wow, you took it too far.
  • Nellobee
    Nellobee Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    Buff:
    Psylocke, Spidey, Colossus.
    4*'s: IW, Mr. F, Cho.

Nerf:
    KK, Cyc, IF
    Red Hulk, Jean Grey, Iceman

Don't know enough about 5*, but no one uses SS even though he is older than OML, so he probably needs a buff. And everyone knows OML needs a nerf. Everyone.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,603 Chairperson of the Boards
    Buff Spidey. Web Bandages needs to go away, it's a stupid power. 5* Spidey got a power to throw cars, when lifting a car is something NORMAL Spidey is strong enough to do. Spidey's a badass, and healing powers just don't show it. He needs a web swing power that utilizes web tiles in some way. His stun is great. His purple is okay as a power, garbage for Spidey (Spidey Sense, one of the most powerful reactive abilities in all of Marvel Comics, does absolutely nothing on the Enemy's Turn? whoever let that one through quality control should be kicked in the shin every day; scaling up his tiles with webs is great, the strength of the tiles isn't bad, but it should go off when the enemy matches purple, or uses a power, or both and not when you make matches yourself, so it's more true to what "Spidey Senses" mean).

Buff Colossus. Because I forget Colossus is in this game.

Buff Hulk. Cause his red is ****.

And personally, I'd remove Beast, Daredevil, Sentry, Bullseye, and Storm from your list entirely.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    Spidey, Sentry, and Punisher, all for the same reason: the costs of their powers far outweigh their utility/benefit in the current 3*/4* world.

Spidey as a healer just doesn't make sense, either. He should be DPS. (And yes, I think it's reasonable to use MMO concepts in MPQ!)
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Psylock #1...
    Doc Ock #2...wait...where on this list...NOT ON THIS LIST?!? Protest filed!
    Rags #3.
  • Do not even dare to nerf Ifist, could give a **** about the rest what you do with them.

On second thought you have my permission to buff iron fist, he needs a buff, make his purple and black stronger and his green should do damage like KKs green.
  • Ctenko
    Ctenko Posts: 218 Tile Toppler
    Orion wrote:
    Psylocke hits so weak that it's pathetic. I think there are 2*s that hit harder than her.

Spidey is just useless. His stun is ok, but the other 2 powers are just bad.

Sentry was such a powerhouse that he needed a slight nerf, but wow, you took it too far.

Maybe it's just me, but I actually like Psylocke. I realize she can't hit at all, but she creates useful Strike tiles for a low amount, and paired with kamala khan you can basically heal your entire team very cheaply. Her Six Ap gain a fist, when combined with kamala heal and falcon, is basically my lolhavinfun strat. Do I think some of her numbers need a little boost. Sure. She's doing like... sub 200/ap, for a 281 tile. But is that any worse than Doctor Doom's Black? Or Punisher's Black?

I'll agree that Spidey is useless other than stun locking. And Sentry needs an anything. God he's so worthless. (All my powers hurt me or me and my team. For poor damage increments! YAY!)

But really? Is Psylocke that bad?
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2016
    Here is my analysis of each listed 3* character:

Ragnarok: Although he sucks, I hope he remains as is because we often face him in PVE

Sentry: This is a perfect example of over-nerf. His character was a nice mixture of risk versus reward, similar to Patch but the devs not only raised the AP cost of his powers, they also lowered the damage to enemies and raised the self-damage. I hope we do not see any more over-nerfs with the upcoming balance changes.

Spider-Man: This character should be the focus of any 3* balance. He has been a consistently requested buff character but he is constantly ignored for reasons unknown. He did receive a nice cosmetic coat of paint in a character redesign but a tweak in his powers did not follow. It's sad when every single other version of Spiderman including 1* Spidey is much better. I like the web mechanic of Miles and 1*, I would like to see a similar one applied. It's okay if he's mostly support but give him an offensive ability already!

Psylocke: I love Pyslocke as is but I would like to see higher damage for both red and black. Obviously her blue is horrible and no one uses it but it would be good to have the CD be 1-turn and either have her steal the up to 10AP of the strongest color or 5AP each of red and black. Many have suggested choosing a tile and she would steal the color of the tile, I like this too.

Colossus: I like his character but he's been overshadowed by Luke Cage. His yellow should be reduced to 6AP, like Beast's blue became usable at 6. Red should do slightly more damage and black is a cool concept that fits his character but too expensive when most abilities are cheaper than 14AP, this would be nice at 10AP.

Squirrel Girl: Drop the stupid "End the Turn". Her protect tiles aren't even strong enough to prevent much. Increase the protect tiles to 1000 each and that would be interesting!

Captain Marvel: I like her character and use her often, especially against protect tile spammers. She just needs increased damage on red and maybe black

The Punisher: Sadly my username is Punisher but I never use his character. He is extremely weak with all of his moves. Even if his damage was increased I still do not think I would use him. I have 5 covers waiting and I don't even want to champ him.. that's a problem.

Bullseye: He is my guilty pleasure! I pair him with Psylocke and Spidey. I can often take down huge PVE teams with his purple and black. His green is just so expensive and not usually useful. Lower the cost to 8AP and I would likely utilize it more but currently I don't even bother matching green tiles.

Gamora: I like her black ability but she needs to tank everything but once it's off I spam red like crazy. Her green is just too weak and expensive. Tweak the green and she is solid.

Daredevil: I think his abilities fit the character well. His purple needs a huge tweak though, especially since Bullseye does more damage and only 7AP compared to the expensive and less damage of DD's purple. Keep the AP cost the same but have him remove ALL special tiles, including Trap tiles!

Storm: I love Storm and she was my favorite 1* character until they copied her for the 3* counterpart. She is great, even her yellow is useful for clearing out T/U's for her green and black powers. The problem is her health is low and she tanks green. As a result I do not use her as much as I would like to.. I mostly use her against goons.

Mystique: Her moveset fits her character but like Sentry, she was over-nerfed on her blue. It's too expensive for an ability that creates two colors I rarely get a match 4 or 5 from it. Lower the cost back or at least raise her health. Also her purple should always stun the target, not just at 5 covers.

The Hulk: Remove the self-damage and green drain on his red. Also make the red AOE damage. Otherwise he's one of my most used 3* characters for the Anger tiles alone.

Beast: His last redesign made him very usable, especially with SW.. no change is required unless his yellow becomes true heal which would be awesome.

Where is Doc Ock? He needs help! Reduce his Blue and give him a usable green that does something good! I love his black skill.
  • Nellobee wrote:
    Buff:
    Psylocke, Spidey, Colossus.
    4*'s: IW, Mr. F, Cho.

Nerf:
    KK, Cyc, IF
    Red Hulk, Jean Grey, Iceman

Don't know enough about 5*, but no one uses SS even though he is older than OML, so he probably needs a buff. And everyone knows OML needs a nerf. Everyone.
    OML doesn't need a nerf. He may not even be a top 3 5*.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    Vision is the worst designed 3* though, right? Where's Vision?

All he needs is to guarantee that he tanks some colors while his CO'S are on the board.
  • Ezrius
    Ezrius Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    Others have said it, but no Doc Ock?

I went with Spider-Man, Psylocke, and Squirrel Girl.

Why Squirrel Girl? Because she can beat Doom, Wolverine, and even Thanos, people. True story.
  • DTStump
    DTStump Posts: 273 Mover and Shaker
    I picked Punisher, Psylocke and Sentry because they have useless powers. Psylocke has maybe the worst power in the tier and one of the worst in the game (blue), Punisher green is also mostly useless and Sentry... can Sentry get at least one ability with no self-damage? icon_e_sad.gif