$99 Stark Salary

Options
Leugenesmiff
Leugenesmiff Posts: 401 Mover and Shaker
edited March 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
I'm just wondering if anyone has ever actually bought the Stark Salary or the equivalent ISO8 pack. Whenever I play a free to play game and see these $99 boosts I always wonder if the Devs put it there just hoping someone will one day but one or if people actually purchase them regularly.

Comments

• I think a number of forum members have purchased the Stark Salary but I'm not certain.
  • A few of the forum regulars have mentioned buying them repeatedly. From my understanding of F2P economics, the small group of people who actually buy the big-ticket items represent quite a large proportion of the devs' income stream (for most F2P games, not just this one).
  • I've bought the $50 one once and the $20 one a few times. People definitely buy them, I spend way too much on mobile games
  • I bought the mother load when it was on sale during valentine's day, and once a month a buy a logan loonies, use it either to get covers i'm finding hard to get or shields
  • It's probably a good deal for those who spend a lot of money on F2P. That is if you're a guy who's going to buy $20 occasionally, and once you realized that you're going to do this more than once, you might as well buy the $99 because you still get more HP for the $.
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
    Options
    Yep, people pick this one up relatively often. Despite the fact that $99.99 looks like a ton in my own mind, I'm obviously not the target market. Warframe apparently does well by flipping out new $139.99 re-purchaseable Prime Packs on a bi/tri-monthly basis. So those types of spenders are out there.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'd never spend real money on ISO.

if I come home drunk one night and decide my Alliance needs to be bigger then anything is possible where Stark Salary is concerned. Haven't bought more than a Loonie yet though.
  • I picked up the $40 steam bundle (basically the $20 hp + the $20 Iso packs together) when it was 66% off in that steam sale last January.
  • The next time they have that 30% off sale, that Stark Salary is going to look mighty, mighty attractive...
  • Was there any sale / discount on HP before???
    I only remember there is ISO sale around valentines day..
  • I thought so, around Christmas. I could be crazy though. Or, it could have been device-specific. Or, it could have been the Scarlet Witch, warping reality again. House of MPQ.
  • For what it's worth - I bought it. When the game very first came out, and I had no idea what the economics were like, I picked up the Stark Salary and whatever the $50 ISO was. Also very much a contribution / thank you to the devs. again in the early stages of the game, it burned a hole in my... phone? - buying Captain America... I mean, heroic tokens, and roster slots. (the latter of which was a wise investment in the earlier stages of MPQ)

...and then I bought it again about six weeks ago.I got so absolutely fed up with the Infernal Captain America Pez dispenser, I bought the #5 black Hulk cover. I still have lots of HP left, bought a few slots for the Howler alliance ( WAH-HOO !), and two more roster slots.

I can most certainly afford it. We have season tickets to the Calgary Flames - that's $200 a pop every game, plus food and parking. When you can pop out $50 to go see a 90 minute movie, (a 3-D super sound with extra large popcorns for me and my most patient, understanding, and darling wife), $200 for something that has kept me entertained for a little bit every day for coming up to six months is certainly not throwing my entertainment dollars down the drain.

The key point is, I can certainly afford it. Doesn't make a dent in my budget.

'nuff said.
  • kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This is coming from someone who has bought it twice - If you are going to buy the cheaper ones a few times, consider buying Stark Salary instead. It gives more value for your money.

I use the HP to buy covers which I find hard to get. Pump some covers into useful characters and you'll find yourself becoming more competitive in PVE and PVP - unless you just want to enjoy play the game casually.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    jefip wrote:
    Was there any sale / discount on HP before???
    I only remember there is ISO sale around valentines day..

Yes, there was one on the higher end packages on Steam during the Hulk event. It wasn't replicated on the mobile platforms.
  • Bacon Pants
    Bacon Pants Posts: 1,012
    Options
    I don't think I've ever purchased the $99 Stark Salary. I've purchased the $50 one before though...I'll probably get another one soon as I want to expand my roster by a few slots...it's at 34/35 currently. The leftover HP will come in use down the road.
  • I bought the $50 Asgard treasure once. I used it to level my Spidey blue to 5, best investment I've ever made in this game. I actually only needed the $30 Logan's Loonies, but the extra amount that came at the $50 level convinced me to spend the money.

I also bought the $20 Hidden Stash ISO level (when it gave you double the ISO amount) once to level Moonstone during the all-female PvP event.....the worse investment I've ever made in this game icon_lol.gif

I mentioned in a different thread, but this is the first time I've ever spent money on a mobile game, or a F2P game for that matter. This is also the first F2P game I've ever played *hours* on on a daily basis, it's definitely been addicting for me. With that in mind, I have no qualms about spending more in the future if need be. The way I look at it, I spent $60 on COD: Ghosts, and I don't even play it anymore, while this game I play daily and get a lot of enjoyment out of it. I figure that's good for at least a WOW/EQ/MMORPG level of investment (roughly $20 a month).
  • Mizake wrote:
    This is also the first F2P game I've ever played *hours* on on a daily basis, it's definitely been addicting for me.

Word. Steam has me clocked at 378 hours. Some of that is idle time, but still.
  • Telepath wrote:
    Mizake wrote:
    This is also the first F2P game I've ever played *hours* on on a daily basis, it's definitely been addicting for me.

Steam has me clocked in at 1342 hours... in 57 days. That is an average of 23 and a half hours a day but some of that is idle time!
  • bonerang wrote:
    Telepath wrote:
    Mizake wrote:

Steam has me clocked in at 1342 hours... in 57 days. That is an average of 23 and a half hours a day but some of that is idle time!
    You're trying to convince us or yourself? icon_e_wink.gif

I'm ticking at 501hrs right now and I think no more than 20% of it is idle time.

As for buying stuff - I bought 2 steam packs during the sale (dunno why I didn't go for all three) and quite a lot in-game, both ISO and HP (I think abot 6x 50bucks). As I spend a lot of time in game and really enjoy it, I consider it money well spend. Bought mostly during sales, otherwise buying ISO is not a good deal.
  • I bought it recently as I withdrew a good amount from my poker account so it didn't actually cost me that much. It's a big amount of cash to drop on a mobile game, but I try to look at the value I've gotten from the game. My daily reward count is now up to around 130 or so, and I've not missed a single day. I play it for a couple of hours every day quite easily, so I've probably played it for a bare minimum of 260 hours (probably nearer double that in all honesty). If I look at it that way, I can easily justify dropping $99 every few months on it.