Poll for Clearance Level 7 Players (Rank 32+)

Chipster22
Chipster22 Posts: 299 Mover and Shaker
edited September 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Based on information we know so far including the addition of Elite Tokens at Level 5, what Clearance Level are you likely to enter to play?
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• KingDreadnaught
    KingDreadnaught Posts: 92 Match Maker
    There's no Level 10 listed up on the poll... so I'll say it here... 10.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    It depends on the specific rewards at each tier. If it's 3 star cyclops vs 4 star cho then I'm playing lower, but if it's Hulkbister vs Sentry I'm playing higher.
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    Something between 5 and 10, depends on the specific rewards in each tier and per event.
  • Chipster22
    Chipster22 Posts: 299 Mover and Shaker

I'm afraid they are making you slum it with the rest of us riff-raff at first. Sorry about that.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    Eddiemon wrote:
    It depends on the specific rewards at each tier. If it's 3 star cyclops vs 4 star cho then I'm playing lower, but if it's Hulkbister vs Sentry I'm playing higher.
    Very interesting thought you have. I am wondering if getting the 1-2 bad 4* so an extra 2k ISO is worse then getting 2 possible 3 3* champion levels plus the HP and CP from placing higher in a PVP?

Good food for thought.
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    Until there is 4* pvp, good 3* > trash 4*.
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 568 Critical Contributor
    If I can ignore placement and just do 100% of progression points and get a 4* cover and 25 CP I'll be doing Clearance 7 in Story mode all day every day.
  • DC1972
    DC1972 Posts: 77 Match Maker

Are level 10 fights all going to be like that Gauntlet video you posted? No thanks.
  • Nightglider1
    Nightglider1 Posts: 703 Critical Contributor
    The rewards will determine.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    All other things being equal, the highest level open to me.

Given specific events, buff list, and reward schemes, and whatever I'm trying to work on at a given time, that answer may vary.

I am more concerned with the seemingly low bar set for the (currently) highest level ... only rank 32 to play CL7? There was a list out earlier that had CL7 requiring rank 50. Which, honestly also seemed a bit low ... unless the improvements in rewards aren't going to be that significant.

I mean, my noob account, which has half its 2*s champed now, came in at level 26. I realize the bulk of the playerbase is casual, etc, etc., but how exclusive should the highest "tier" be? Are these rank requirements going to be revised often? Tweaked per event?

I am hoping that the CL system will eventually address a persistent problem in MPQ. There is a HUGE disparity between the top few percentiles. The tip of the spear is extremely pointy. The top .1% are far beyond those in the 99th %tile, who are in turn far beyond those in the 95th %tile. It's not possible to make 1 reward scheme relevant to the entire top 10%.

I am hoping there will be a CL for each strata of player, from first week of play on up to the maxchamped 5* longtooth veteran überwhale.

If CL 7 is rank 32 and up, it's still going to be 2*-3* transitioners on up to maxchamped 5*s piled into a pool.

Yes, more CLs are coming, 8-10. But that's not enough stratification. And, honestly, 6 tiers for ranks 0-31 seems like way too many.

I hope and trust the system will grow, and the CLs will shift upward. We're just starting conservatively....right?

The problem is fragmentation, the higher the rank the fewer the players. Allowing rank 32 players into clearance level 7 brackets means more players to fill those brackets

For arguments sake let's say 10% of the player base is Rank 50 or higher, that's not a lot of players to fill C7 brackets across 5 slices.
    Now let's say 45% of the player base is Rank 32 or higher, You've just increased the pool of players that can access and fill those brackets

Let's look even higher. How many players do you think will reach C10 status? 200? 600? 50? Now offer those C10 players 5 slices. No bracket will ever fill
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Can't say until I see what progressions look like.
  • deadtaco
    deadtaco Posts: 409 Mover and Shaker
    Started at 32, just hit 36 this weekend. Today I champed my third 3*. And max champed a 2* for the first time.

That said, I will aim for clearance 4 or 5 at most.
  • DanBenZvi
    DanBenZvi Posts: 82 Match Maker
    Entirely determinate on reward schedule (progression and placement) which we won't know for a few days yet.
  • an1979
    an1979 Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker

I wonder how many seeds would you have if you were the only one in PvP? icon_e_geek.gif
  • amusingfoo1
    amusingfoo1 Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    fmftint wrote:

The problem is fragmentation, the higher the rank the fewer the players. Allowing rank 32 players into clearance level 7 brackets means more players to fill those brackets

For arguments sake let's say 10% of the player base is Rank 50 or higher, that's not a lot of players to fill C7 brackets across 5 slices.
    Now let's say 45% of the player base is Rank 32 or higher, You've just increased the pool of players that can access and fill those brackets

Let's look even higher. How many players do you think will reach C10 status? 200? 600? 50? Now offer those C10 players 5 slices. No bracket will ever fill

I get that. And ... so what if the brackets never fill? Initally there will be few CL10ers. Their ranks will grow over time, if the devs can keep them retained via engagement. If the bar remains too low, they won't be engaged, won't be retained.

Already been stated that CL doesn't affect MMR, so it isn't as if CL (if taken to an extreme) would be limiting 10 people to attacking each other over and over again. (MMR does that all by itself, ha!)

If too many hands are wrung over fragmentation, then this system will never be able to achieve its intent for all players. It will help most players by volume, but not most levels of play / roster development. It will again be those at the top "homeless", having nothing to do but roll over those less advanced.

And if you're a 95%er, it's gonna stink being run over by the 99.9%ers, competing for rewards designed for the 90%ers.

There is a balance to be found and maintained here. Again, I really hope this is simply a conservative first step toward finding it.

I suspect the sticking point is more PvE than PvP, although there's a simple rewards problem when there's a single bracket within a slice. There aren't any people above 65 who don't take the game very seriously, and if you have a bracket that is only those people, most of them are going to be disappointed. That's not a recipe for long-term success, even if it might spur more short-term sales.

To get to soft numbers (since we don't have hard numbers), we know that the player base for the last run of EotS (hellish as it was) was a bit over 100k people. If 10% of them (to use the above numbers) are level 50 or higher, that's 10k people. Split over five slices, that's two PvE brackets and four PvP brackets per slice. That isn't a lot. The prizes had better be really, really good, or many of the people who should be there are going to be playing lower, and destroying the lower brackets.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    My **** alt that I never use and with one championed 2* (which I champed after Rank hit) is rank 13, so almost CL4. So yeah, most likely I'll be in CL7.

That said, given that the people most likely in CL6 are those who aren't eligible for CL7 (below <R32), there's probably decent incentive to go for 6 depending on the 4* cover awarded.

Going to be an interesting meta to be played, and if the differences in resource rewards between 6 and 7 is negligible (as I sense they might be), then you're gonna have people punching under their weight more often than the devs expect.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    an1979 wrote:

I wonder how many seeds would you have if you were the only one in PvP? icon_e_geek.gif
    Clearance levels do not change your matchmaking. You'll still be matched against the same type of opponents.
    As for the topic at hand... I'll probably go for the highest available CL, so 7 at start. I get all the rewards as it is, may as well go for the best ones...
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Going to be an interesting meta to be played, and if the differences in resource rewards between 6 and 7 is negligible (as I sense they might be), then you're gonna have people punching under their weight more often than the devs expect.
    I was thinking this same thing when it was announced before, which led me to think they are really going to have to offer significantly better rewards or else it's not going to work the way they want it to. By lowering the rank needed to enter the higher levels it seems like they're doing 2 things - 1) leaving more room for them to increase to 8, 9, and 10 without putting those levels unreasonably high to where only a handful of superwhales can enter and 2) encouraging more people to enter higher CL to chase the better rewards. If too many people who think they belong in CL7 end up doing really poorly and not getting any good rewards then they are going to be really upset and drop down to lower levels, which would likely be seen as a big failure of the system.

edit to add my answer...I'm most likely going to enter the highest level I'm allowed to be in as they add higher levels. Also, to me this poll would have been more interesting to see what stage of the game these people are at. I assume a large part of the forum player-base has been around long enough to be Rank 60+ and has at least partially transitioned to 4* land (i.e. a couple maxed 4*, enough to compete on weeks they're boosted by maybe not every week), but what about the guys around rank 40 or rank 50? I'm interested to hear from them to see if they're in the 4* transition at this point or still working on maxing out all of their 3*.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    For PvP I'll take the highest every time, no question. But I play PvE far less competitively, AND my strong roster can be more of a handicap in PvE at times, so a higher CL in PvE may not be in my best interest. I'll have to see what rewards in PvE look like before signing up, but it doesn't make sense for me to sign up for rewards that I won't realistically have time to play for.

Either way, it definitely looks like bracket sniping is going to be severely limited, which I think I like. It never quite set well with me when people would play for an hour of an event and get better rewards than someone who played multiple hours on multiple days.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    as they open up CL 8-10, if they really are looking at brackets every 5 min, you could easily get bracket times that barely have any players in them at all, guaranteeing decent rewards for just participation. that will change over time, but those ahead of the curve may benefit a lot.