Death of Cakes

Daiches
Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
edited September 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Holy hell D3! You can't just change how the game works mid event!

At least post what the changes are going to be! We have NO idea how defensive team is set now!

Comments

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wow, so demi slipped a quasi-announcement of this change at the end of a locked thread 48 hours in advance. Then shut down additional conversation on the topic for about 18 hours, then re-opened conversation and stealth-pushed a change mid-event 24 hours later?

What the **** is going on?!
  • Ramble2
    Ramble2 Posts: 21 Just Dropped In
    If this is true, the changes coming better make the game more fun.

I've played for 600 days and spent a good deal of money on this game, and I've had bad luck with the RNG such that I still don't have a single playable 5*. If I can't compete against players with thin roster who happen to have opened 10 OML or Phoenix covers, then there's no point in spending anymore.

Shouldn't d3 want me to spend on things like shielding and hopping?
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    Vhailorx wrote:
    What the tinykitty is going on?!
    Business as usual, it would appear.
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    Only approved methods** of fun are allowed in MPQ.

**Approved methods include, but are not limited to:

- Grinding easy nodes for 1 point in PvE
    - 3 hour megaclears for ranking awards in PvE
    - Massively overscaled opponents
    - The same lightning rounds forever and ever
    - 3* PvPs forever and ever
    - Freely taking advantage of exploits if you spend enough that they don't want to upset you
    - OML and Phoenix. OML and Phoenix and their adventures, Phoenix.. OML AND PHOENIX FOREVER AND FOREVER A HUNDRED YEARS OML and Phoenix.. some...things.. Me and OML and Phoenix runnin' around and... OML and Phoenix time... a- all day long forever.. all a - a hundred days OML and Phoenix! forever a hundred times.... OVER and over OML and Phoenix... adventures dot com.. W W W dot at OML and Phoenix dot com w..w..w... OML and Phoenix adventures.. ah- hundred years..... every minute OML and Phoenix dot com.... w w w a hundred times... OML and Phoenix dot com.......
  • Nellobee
    Nellobee Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    There was a change? What is different?
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Came here to see this. Was not disappointed.
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    No wonder there arent any red names reading the forums this morning. Heck, I dont even see any greens.
  • ZekeBarrett
    ZekeBarrett Posts: 85 Match Maker
    I was just about to buy another Stark Salary for shields. I guess I will just hold onto my money now! Thanks d3!! Stay Classy!!
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was playing Torch PVP like half an hour ago and didn't see anything different. Can someone explain?
  • jffdougan
    jffdougan Posts: 733 Critical Contributor
    Nellobee wrote:
    There was a change? What is different?

I don't know, and nobody is giving a straight answer amid the hyperbole.
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Jarvind wrote:
    I was playing Torch PVP like half an hour ago and didn't see anything different. Can someone explain?

As of noon EST, you can no longer Q ccs.
  • alphabeta
    alphabeta Posts: 469 Mover and Shaker
    The team you unshield on now appears to be the only team visible - therefore no more bakes unless bakers are prepared to unshield on a cup cake and reshiled after a single fight.

09/09/16 - day MPQ died
  • Tilesmasher
    Tilesmasher Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    Not another dime from me. Ever. Thanks for forcibly cutting my addiction for me! icon_e_smile.gif
  • Twoslot
    Twoslot Posts: 49 Just Dropped In
    So now putting out a cake means free shields?
  • deadtaco
    deadtaco Posts: 409 Mover and Shaker
    alphabeta wrote:
    The team you unshield on now appears to be the only team visible - therefore no more bakes unless bakers are prepared to unshield on a cup cake and reshiled after a single fight.

09/09/16 - day MPQ died

Sorry, I am not good enough to have ever seen a cake, so I am a little lost. I have used shields a few times, are you saying that after you complete a fight after shielding, you only see one node?
  • People on 'line' are reporting that cupcakes aren't working any more. Players are still exploring what exactly it is that the devs did so without dev communication it might take a while to explain what is going on. The biggest part: Your defensive team is no longer necessarily the same team you won your last battle with.

(explanation for people who don't know how baking cupcakes works: Your defensive team (the team opponents see) is normally the last team you won a fight in PVP with. If you won a fight with a pair of 1*'s and a loaner (cupcake) then that would normally be your defensive team until you won another fight, regardless of what your score is. By changing this rule the devs have made it so that you can't bake cupcakes any more. Can you bake muffins, steaks, etc? We don't know yet)
  • WilsonFisk
    WilsonFisk Posts: 365 Mover and Shaker
    Why are people surprised? The upper levels of gameplay have been solely based around a gimmick! You really think that's how it's supposed to work? D3 has been terrible in many many ways since this game started. Getting rid of a HUGE exploit that is widely abused isn't one of them. I may actually start playing competively again.
  • Nellobee
    Nellobee Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    alphabeta wrote:

09/09/16 - day MPQ died

That sounds like cupcakes got more expensive, not that they are now impossible?
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    deadtaco wrote:
    alphabeta wrote:

09/09/16 - day MPQ died

Sorry, I am not good enough to have ever seen a cake, so I am a little lost. I have used shields a few times, are you saying that after you complete a fight after shielding, you only see one node?

With the old system, the team you won a fight with was the team others could queue. So you win a fight with a cupcake and let others queue you, then win one with your A team and shield. When you unshield for your next hop, your A team is offered.

Now, and its mostly guess, the team you shield with will be what is seen until the next time you shield. This is still exploitable and mostly results in the game being less fun at the high end (and that WILL trickle down).
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    WilsonFisk wrote:
    Why are people surprised? The upper levels of gameplay have been solely based around a gimmick! You really think that's how it's supposed to work? D3 has been terrible in many many ways since this game started. Getting rid of a HUGE exploit that is widely abused isn't one of them. I may actually start playing competively again.
    Actually, the Middle/Lower levels of it were based on this "gimmick."

No worries, though... the more info that is coming, in, the better this looks for top-tier players. No more having to take on champed 5* for me!
This discussion has been closed.