How do you bake?

Options
13»

Comments

• tizian2015
    tizian2015 Posts: 194 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Meander wrote:
    Has it ever occurred to you this isn't Wow? You want a PVP example of cup caking? Fine- Magic the Gathering. I used to play PTQ level up back in the day. During tournaments your main goal was to get high enough to purposefully draw in to Top 8. How was this fair to other players? If you played it out, you or your opponent could miss top 8 and that slot would go to someone else (I fell victim to the 9th place due to draws many times). But by drawing, you'd both be in. You and your opponent were often not buds. Why would you help someone else (who is going to be an enemy in 5 mins?). Simple- to benefit you as much as him. CC's are the same.

Edit- I've also straight up conceded to buddies to strengthen their points for positioning.

Well, its not cheating, its nonetheless unsportsmanlike behavior, which could harshly punished in e.g. normal sportleagues, often not because its not provable.

Most of you have a strange moral compass. Not only the PVP-system is broken... Have fun baking, "optimize" the system (if I search I am sure some banksters of 2007/2008 used this phrase), etc.

The honest is the stupid as always in life. Thx for this insight.
  • aesthetocyst
    aesthetocyst Posts: 538 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Calnexin wrote:
    Cupcakes!

I haven't personally encountered one. And I know that, generally, baking is coordinated within an alliance, so they can benefit maximally.

I've never been part of an alliance that utilized that level of communication. As such, I don't know how it works. I mean mechanically. I get that you put a weak team out there and shield. But what are the considerations when baking? How do you pull off a win with a weak team when you're at high points?

Hey, Cal. Ignoring all that monkeyshines up there ...

Some alliances / allaince groups still coordinate amongst themselves, but since we all share slices (like it or not), and our activities are visible to everyone in that slice (insofar as MMR allows...), it's very common to find coordination amongst large mixed groups.

How to win against weak teams while at high points? Well, in addition to what others have said, the way it used to be done is to climb high as a player can. Once you're ahead of the herd, your q would break. There would be no one unshielded near your score to q, so you would start seeing completely random unshielded players far below you. Some of them would be 2* players. You would attack one of them, with a weak team, often using an AOE teamup to pull off a speedy win with a weaker team than the target has out.

Then either play another match with your best team and shield, or shield on the cake. If the latter, then when you next hopped, the cake would be out again, so you'd fight 1 match with your best team and shield again. A generous, expensive move, but if not racing for placement and in need of a new shield, make it rain, heh.

If a player graduates to 5* MMR I think this all goes away. I don't think they can see those weaker players any more. Not there myself yet ... haven't been PVPing much past couple seasons, either.

Look someone up on LINE. It's a useful place.

PS--"Cheating"? Ha. The continuation of PVP by other means. I trust the PVP purity brigade religiously eschews cakes and skips them on sight.

PPS--Nothing new about "trapcakes". That's sandbagging. If anyone feels wronged, well, pay attention to your targeting!
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Options
    mohio wrote:

@notamutant above - while people on LINE coordinating and using cupcakes, etc. to hit max progression, do have an easier time of hitting it more often than not, they are also providing more points to the slice overall which trickles down to all the players who aren't using LINE to coordinate and they will most likely have an easier time hitting progression because of it.

This could happen in theory, but because people shield so quickly after cupcaking and swap teams, most people aren't going to find those cupcakes without Line. I personally come across a cupcake maybe once a month, if that, and I regularly score between 1000 and 1100 without using cupcakes. They might feed people that don't cupcake, but usually not directly. If people didn't cupcake, 1100 or 1200 would be more towards the top scores, so progression would be lowered to within reach of people like me that don't cupcake but still score highly. Or D3 would be content with less people reaching max progression, who knows.
  • alphabeta
    alphabeta Posts: 469 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    tizian2015 wrote:
    JVReal wrote:
    tizian2015 wrote:
    You say, you are fighting against the system with this coordination, so the system is the enemy. So the only possible interpretation is mine, not yours, regardless what you want to say.

Knowing the mechanic of a broken system and abuse it is cheating. Period.
    I looked up the definition of cheat... none of them match your interpretation. Cupcakes do not fall under the definition of cheating.

Cupcakes do not defraud D3, there are no ill-gotten gains, there is no nefarious intent.

A valid 3 member team beats a different 3 member team for genuine points. PVP. The next time you play PVP, and you get seed teams, I expect you to skip them, because by your own definition D3 is giving you cupcakes and if you beat them for points, you are cheating. Skip those cupcakes that D3 has given you... those cheaters!

Seeds are the only way to get points so they are the reason others get points and so on. Seeds are no possibility to gain up to 1300+ points. So they are a legitimate piece of the game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheating

In video games, cheating can take the form of secret access codes in single-player games (such as the Konami code[14]) which unlock a bonus for the player when entered, hacks and exploits which give players an unfair advantage in online multiplayer games and single-player modes, or unfair collusion between players in online games (such as a player who spectates a match, removing limitations such as "fog of war", and reports on enemy positions to game partners).

It´s unfair to people not using line-communities to spread easy targets which are seen mainly only to people in these communities (because only they know to search for them) and which grant many points to get easy progression to get high rewards etc.

So to your definition PVE bracket sniping (happen on line)
    Best Build threads on Facebook and this forum
    Any facebook, line or any other app communication outside of IGC to coordinate a boss fight within an alliance

Are all cheating as they involve collusion between players outside of the core game.

I look forward to you deleting your own forum account and turning yourself in to the relevant authorities if that the definition you are holding everyone (including yourself) to.

Meanwhile I'll get back to playing baking and generally having fun.
  • David [Hi-Fi] Moore
    David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
    Options
    Locking thread as there's a lot of burning cinders in here. Please remember to keep conversations constructive and respectful.

"Cupcaking" is not intended gameplay and we're working on some ways in which we can take care of the issue in the near future.
This discussion has been closed.