Season's Past

Options
Feagul
Feagul Posts: 114
edited September 2016 in MtGPQ Suggestions & Feedback
SeasonsPast.png

Even though I have the card and love it, for the sake of balance it needs to be unable to return itself to your hand.

Comments

• Nitymp
    Nitymp Posts: 320 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Yup! Just played against a game where this looped into itself with renewal as well and a hydra on the board.. was fun to watch my screen for 2 mins...
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Guys, guys, this is hilarious. Check out the paper MTG version:

Image.ashx?multiverseid=409989&type=card

The designers of paper MTG *knew* that the card would be a problem if you started looping 2 copies of it, and they solved that problem, and the designers of MPQ just ignored their solution when they ported the card across icon_lol.gif

You're probably wondering, how long ago did MTG come up with a solution to problems like this?

Image.ashx?multiverseid=1496&type=card

22 years. Has anyone at this company even played Magic?
  • Barrelrolla
    Options
    What does "any number" mean? You can return all your graveyard to your hand, as long as they have different mana cost? Of course, if you do that, you'll have to discard them all but 7 at the end of your turn, but still, am I reading it correctly?
  • Kthanid
    Options
    Depending on which combo and cards you play you can have no limits of cards in your hand... The good old Prosper Bloom combo with Ivory tower MAGIC_US_4th-edition_4E328_Ivory-Tower.jpg and library of Leng MAGIC_US_5th-edition_5E387_Library-of-Leng.jpgicon_e_wink.gif

BTW the major problem is that in Magic TGC you don't always have cast to play because you either draw mana requiring cards or mana generator : lands. And the game rules don't fit this accumulation of mana until the card can be played. Either you've got enough and you can play it, either you don't and you just wait until so. The puzzle rules makes it difficult to balance cards to fit power equal to the TGC ones because of the total randomness of the cascades of mana gems (as if in the paper version you rolled a dice while engaging a land to see how much mana pool you get). Of course this one is just a loop itself, even if loops can be easily done with 2 or 3 cards combo only with Magic TGC (and this kind of loop usually equals I beat you so bad! icon_twisted.gif )
  • Barrelrolla
    Options
    Yeah I play a bit of paper Magic, but I started waaay after the cards you've shown and I'm pretty casual, I know only the cards I've seen in a game icon_e_biggrin.gif That's why I was wondering how exactly does this card work.
    I remember reading Emrakul for the first time "gain control of target opponent for next turn" and I was like "they missed a word on this card, target what? creature, land?" and then I realized "target opponent" lol
    Paper magic has some broken cards icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Nosufuratu
    Nosufuratu Posts: 3
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Hello, just want to say I love the game but you may want to take a look at the Seasons Past card and power balance.

I completely agree it needs a rebalance.

I just went up against this card and the player used it with runaway carriage and a few other cards. I basically sat for 6 minutes while it kept cycling ... I watched as a 2/2 creature was powered up to well over 108/108 in this manner... I kept watching to be curious how long this would go on... unfortunately my phone ran out of power but I can say at least 6 solid minutes of just sitting there and watching the cards cycle.

Thanks for listening.

-Nosufuratu/Darkling

Addendum: Here are some screenshots of this in action It started as a 2/2 and after a few minutes was well into the 134/134 range with no end visible:

xxi8Wk2SMXU30Zy7taQPHFAxV5JSU5I9kGVTPCLtQ51H5aiH9wjMeYmf3O1UQoDWbyYsDiCB5w2gYgs=w2880-h1590
  • Feagul
    Feagul Posts: 114
    Options
    shteev wrote:
    Guys, guys, this is hilarious. Check out the paper MTG version:

Image.ashx?multiverseid=409989&type=card

The designers of paper MTG *knew* that the card would be a problem if you started looping 2 copies of it, and they solved that problem, and the designers of MPQ just ignored their solution when they ported the card across icon_lol.gif

You're probably wondering, how long ago did MTG come up with a solution to problems like this?

Image.ashx?multiverseid=1496&type=card

I'm also a paper player so it was jarring how obvious it was from that perspective. They extensively tested it, though. icon_e_wink.gif
  • Kthanid
    Options
    Yeah I play a bit of paper Magic, but I started waaay after the cards you've shown and I'm pretty casual, I know only the cards I've seen in a game icon_e_biggrin.gif That's why I was wondering how exactly does this card work.
    I remember reading Emrakul for the first time "gain control of target opponent for next turn" and I was like "they missed a word on this card, target what? creature, land?" and then I realized "target opponent" lol
    Paper magic has some broken cards icon_e_biggrin.gif

Oh I think this was referring to a special "fake" extension Magic TCG Unglued made with a lot of glitched cards

(like the wellknown chaos confetti
    Image.ashx?multiverseid=5712&type=card
    created after a legendary tournament where a player did that with a real chaos orb
    chaos_orb.jpgicon_e_biggrin.gif )
  • Barrelrolla
    Options
    icon_e_biggrin.gif That card is funny. I know the expansion, it's full with silly cards, but Emrakul is from Eldrich Moon:
    Image.ashx?multiverseid=414295&type=card
    It was in a lot of decks at the last pro tour.
  • Morphis
    Morphis Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    Options
    In before JC: "Season past is the new meta, adapt to it". icon_lol.gif
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Feagul wrote:
    shteev wrote:
    I'm also a paper player so it was jarring how obvious it was from that perspective. They extensively tested it, though. icon_e_wink.gif

I've noticed a few times that the designers of this game have failed to learn the lessons of paper MTG. Templating, for example, the practice of ensuring that cards have very precise wording, and that each card which shares functionality with other cards carries exactly the same wording, was a practice adopted by WOTC in 1996 with the Alliances set.
  • Mcjordan
    Mcjordan Posts: 82 Match Maker
    Options
    I also have a love hate relationship with this card. I haven't lost in qb since adding it to my Kiora deck with UC and the new hydra. It's incredible.
  • Pacone
    Options
    Feagul wrote:
    They extensively tested it, though. icon_e_wink.gif
    Ouch, it burns icon_lol.gif

Now yeah, fix it.
  • Theros
    Theros Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    The hydra does not need to grow when the other player matches 3 or more greens. It will still be a strong creature
  • Nitymp
    Nitymp Posts: 320 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Played against SP with prism array and a UC.... this was the results.. i only partially recorded it and i finally quit the game once the UC got to 200/200, a good 20 minutes later!! (there were 4 SP cards in this loop, so it would definitelt have gone infinitely...)

This card needs to not bring back itself! As in, card exiling after cast and not to graveyard..

https://youtu.be/h6Vro61qbBY
  • Kthanid
    Options
    **** this god damned luck I'm done this game bye! icon_e_sad.gif
  • murtagon
    murtagon Posts: 51 Match Maker
    Options
    The simple fix for this card is it cannot return itself or a copy of iteslf. With that fix it would still be strong just not broken strong.
  • buffbeardo
    Options
    I wonder if some of the devs have ever even played mtg? icon_rolleyes.gif this game is a train wreck following every major update/set release. By the time all the card bugs are solved, BAM, new set release and the cycle starts again. ****?!
  • Abenjes
    Abenjes Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I do have to laugh when I see a card this powerful.
    They say they test them extensively but that people may use them in different ways once released.
    This card was never tested, neither was harness the storm. Both are screaming to be abused, not even abused just put into a deck and used is abuse enough.
    wish I had one icon_e_sad.gif
  • fox1342
    fox1342 Posts: 174 Tile Toppler
    Options
    shteev wrote:
    Feagul wrote:
    shteev wrote:

I've noticed a few times that the designers of this game have failed to learn the lessons of paper MTG. Templating, for example, the practice of ensuring that cards have very precise wording, and that each card which shares functionality with other cards carries exactly the same wording, was a practice adopted by WOTC in 1996 with the Alliances set.

For example, different 'human soldier token' that don't stack despite identical wording.