MtGPQ 1.6.5 Release Notes (08/30/16)

Options

Comments

• Coconut99
    Coconut99 Posts: 212
    Options
    The more I thought about the handling of Saheeli after I left work yesterday, the more pissed off I have to say I got.

I mean, come on, guys. We've gone through this before.

You're giving us barely 48 hours notice about the release of a new PW, and one that will only be available through a one-time event--not for purchase later, and the event has no plans to ever repeat?

So I'm, what, supposed to somehow clear my weekend schedule on almost no notice in order to try to have even a slim chance at winning the PW?

And not only that, look at who gets the reward...

Top 5 for Bronze and Silver tier.
    Top 10 for Gold tier.
    Top 25 for Platinum tier.

Even with 500-person brackets--something we've all been requesting we go back to generally ever since it was increased from 500 to 3k for everything--only the top 1%, 2.5%, and 5% of players are going to get this PW. I don't know what the spread might be in the population in terms of tiers, but I have to imagine this means that at most, maybe 3% of the total player base has any chance of getting Saheeli, and that's it.

I hate to draw comparisons to MTG, and I understand that that's a different game, but even so, the differences in how things outside of game mechanics are handled shows how little you care about your player base.

(1) Two days' notice about new PWs? MTG teases new PWs for over a week, if not more, and then makes an actual announcement at least a week in advance of the character being available.

(2) And even then, what's in the notice? Nothing here or in the interview gives any specific information about her other than her HP at level 60--no info about what her abilities are specifically, what her mana generation is, nothing. MTG, a new character announcement comes with full information on the character--max HP as well as power strength at every level.

(3) Not to mention this is a brand new event, and very little information on it was given--we don't know what the secondary objectives are, and when only the top 5, 10, or 25 players have even a slim chance at getting the new PW, every single badge is going to matter.

(4) Only giving out a new PW to the top ~3% of the entire player base, and nobody else? Seriously? Not even giving her out as a coalition reward also, just in case a coalition does well but an individual player doesn't? MTG, where you need at least 13 copies of the same character to max their level, rewards the top 10% of the players and top 10% of the alliances with at least one cover, putting aside the fact that every character there is available to everyone, either through playing or random chance. For some people, that one or maybe two covers may be the only ones they ever get of a character, but at least they have them and at least they have a real chance of getting them either in the event or through pulling them. But instead, giving out in a one-time-only event to only the top 1%, 2.5%, and 5%? That's...ridiculous. It means over 95% of your players will never even have a chance of getting this PW.

Beyond the elitism there, though, it's really the lack of information and notice that riles me, and that's something we've been complaining about here almost since Day 1, and been promised multiple times would improve on your end. There is literally no reason why this information shouldn't be given to players freely and well in advance--I'm talking at least a week--of the release event. It's like you're petulant or spiteful children who have a tiny scrap of information that nobody else knows, but which you know everyone else would want to know. There's no reason not to share it, but you just have to hoard your tiny bit of power as long as possible, just to feel more important. We have to get the maximum possible scores in order to have a chance at winning Saheeli, but you haven't given us the information we need going in to know what we need to do in order to do that, and you gave us practically no notice at all about the release event occurring in the first place, so that we can plan to be available to actually play competitively. Basically, this rewards only those who were lucky enough to already have high availability this weekend, or plans malleable enough to change around on no notice, and that's it.

And that's just a slap in the face to all of us.
  • Rootbreaker
    Options
    I think what they're saying by not soon is that Saheeli won't be in the vault for crystals for a while, not that she never will. I imagine she'll be available close to when Kaladesh comes out.
  • blacklotus
    blacklotus Posts: 589 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I think what they're saying by not soon is that Saheeli won't be in the vault for crystals for a while, not that she never will. I imagine she'll be available close to when Kaladesh comes out.

my guess is after Nalhi(sp?) and Sorin are rotated into the roster and available via crystal purchase.
  • huntly
    huntly Posts: 99
    Options
    icon_idea.gif
    Pqmtg- wrote:
    The soi events are less about having insane cards and more about proper deck building. I often place top 5, and have had to remove my mythics to build proper decks to achieve the objectives.

Take some time to create and test your decks, then play the event seriously. I mean... If you're not putting in 100% effort in the event, it's rather disingenuous to complain the prizes are bad if you don't place.
    I've rebuilt my deck a number of times. I'm doing the best I can with what i got. I've exhausted my attempts in events and still didn't break top 100. Either my collection sucks or I do. I only ever got 2 mythics and am missing alot common and uncommon, more so from soi. It's hard enough to build a winning deck let alone one that can score th extra objectives without a decent collection.
    As for coalition rewards, these are new rewards we didn't have before. That's what he means. Why are people complaining about an available bonus? You didn't stand a chance to win these rewards last event, and now you do. People are weird.
    I said I was underwhelmed, not that they are bad. Don't get me wrong, I think competition for the better off is good, it creates motivation and interest. Just more competitive rewards in a huge bracket leaves those with lackluster collections more behind.
    Same thing with events really. It wasn't that long ago qb was the only way to grind for gold and rare/mythics. Now that there are more ways to get rewarded, people complain more.
    Agreed. The events in general are awesome additions and expand the reward base. Any addition will garner complaints from someone. I just set my expectations to high this early in the incorporation of coalitions. Blind speculations causes most people's complaints.
  • Rootbreaker
    Options
    blacklotus wrote:

my guess is after Nalhi(sp?) and Sorin are rotated into the roster and available via crystal purchase.
    I think that's a given. I'm guessing a while after that. They've been releasing $ planeswalkers into the vault for crystals 3 weeks after they appear for $. I'm guessing it will be quite a bit longer for Saheeli, but that she'll eventually show up in the vault.
  • HomeRn
    HomeRn Posts: 329 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    blacklotus wrote:

I think that's a given. I'm guessing a while after that. They've been releasing $ planeswalkers into the vault for crystals 3 weeks after they appear for $. I'm guessing it will be quite a bit longer for Saheeli, but that she'll eventually show up in the vault.
    This is how I interpreted how D3 worded their statement about Saheeli being available to us BEFORE the paper set lands. The top players over the weekend (which for me is going to be a nightmare of a challenge because I work six days a week - and I was just barely making top 25 in the last two Terrors in the Shadows events) would get their hands on her way before anyone else - both digital and paper players - could get the chance of getting her through the normal means. Kinda makes me curious as to which cards in her set would make it here...
  • Pqmtg-
    Pqmtg- Posts: 282
    Options
    Coconut99 wrote:
    The more I thought about the handling of Saheeli after I left work yesterday, the more pissed off I have to say I got.

You're giving us barely 48 hours notice about the release of a new PW, and one that will only be available through a one-time event--not for purchase later, and the event has no plans to ever repeat?

So I'm, what, supposed to somehow clear my weekend schedule on almost no notice in order to try to have even a slim chance at winning the PW?

Top 10 for Gold tier.

Even with 500-person brackets--something we've all been requesting we go back to generally ever since it was increased from 500 to 3k for everything--only the top 1%, 2.5%, and 5% of players are going to get this PW. I don't know what the spread might be in the population in terms of tiers, but I have to imagine this means that at most, maybe 3% of the total player base has any chance of getting Saheeli, and that's it.

I hate to draw comparisons to MTG, and I understand that that's a different game, but even so, the differences in how things outside of game mechanics are handled shows how little you care about your player base.

(1) Two days' notice about new PWs? MTG teases new PWs for over a week, if not more, and then makes an actual announcement at least a week in advance of the character being available.

(2) And even then, what's in the notice? Nothing here or in the interview gives any specific information about her other than her HP at level 60--no info about what her abilities are specifically, what her mana generation is, nothing. MTG, a new character announcement comes with full information on the character--max HP as well as power strength at every level.

(3) Not to mention this is a brand new event, and very little information on it was given--we don't know what the secondary objectives are, and when only the top 5, 10, or 25 players have even a slim chance at getting the new PW, every single badge is going to matter.

(4) Only giving out a new PW to the top ~3% of the entire player base, and nobody else? Seriously? Not even giving her out as a coalition reward also, just in case a coalition does well but an individual player doesn't? MTG, where you need at least 13 copies of the same character to max their level, rewards the top 10% of the players and top 10% of the alliances with at least one cover, putting aside the fact that every character there is available to everyone, either through playing or random chance. For some people, that one or maybe two covers may be the only ones they ever get of a character, but at least they have them and at least they have a real chance of getting them either in the event or through pulling them. But instead, giving out in a one-time-only event to only the top 1%, 2.5%, and 5%? That's...ridiculous. It means over 95% of your players will never even have a chance of getting this PW.

Beyond the elitism there, though, it's really the lack of information and notice that riles me, and that's something we've been complaining about here almost since Day 1, and been promised multiple times would improve on your end. There is literally no reason why this information shouldn't be given to players freely and well in advance--I'm talking at least a week--of the release event. It's like you're petulant or spiteful children who have a tiny scrap of information that nobody else knows, but which you know everyone else would want to know. There's no reason not to share it, but you just have to hoard your tiny bit of power as long as possible, just to feel more important. We have to get the maximum possible scores in order to have a chance at winning Saheeli, but you haven't given us the information we need going in to know what we need to do in order to do that, and you gave us practically no notice at all about the release event occurring in the first place, so that we can plan to be available to actually play competitively. Basically, this rewards only those who were lucky enough to already have high availability this weekend, or plans malleable enough to change around on no notice, and that's it.

What am I doing differently? If anything I find the events less time consuming and easy to plan your day around. I just play it once every 11 hours for 2 days.

Why would you need to plan your weekend for this?
  • Flaricus
    Flaricus Posts: 102 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Hmmmmmm. Were in maintenance again........ One hour
  • daoryu
    daoryu Posts: 1
    Options
    Pqmtg- wrote:
    Coconut99 wrote:

Top 10 for Gold tier.

What am I doing differently? If anything I find the events less time consuming and easy to plan your day around. I just play it once every 11 hours for 2 days.

What you are doing differently is that you aren't trying to win the reward. For those who are trying to play enough to win the PW, there is much more time involved, not to mention rebuilding decks to achieve the secondary objectives.
    I play casually and can't change my schedule around playing a game, but it would be nice if players with better averages or percentages were rewarded more rather than those with the most free time.
  • Pqmtg-
    Pqmtg- Posts: 282
    Options
    daoryu wrote:
    Pqmtg- wrote:
    Coconut99 wrote:

Top 10 for Gold tier.

What you are doing differently is that you aren't trying to win the reward. For those who are trying to play enough to win the PW, there is much more time involved, not to mention rebuilding decks to achieve the secondary objectives.
    I play casually and can't change my schedule around playing a game, but it would be nice if players with better averages or percentages were rewarded more rather than those with the most free time.

Err... I've been in top 10 in every event. It's not time consuming at all. Building new decks take a max of 20mins a deck, then it's the same 5 mins per game as usual. That's 15 minutes every 4 hours you have to play, and you can defer it for up to 20 hours.

Are you taking hours to fine-tune decks?
  • Barrelrolla
    Options
    Btw, you say MTG, but you're talking about MPQ.
    MTG = Magic The Gathering
    MPQ = Marvel Puzzle Quest.
    Git me confused there for a while.
    On topic, I was on vacation during the first NoP, but that didn't stop me from getting top 25.
    I don't find the events time consuming at all, you've got big margins of time to play your games. Only the first games are a bit more time consuming, because you start with 15 games.
  • Coconut99
    Coconut99 Posts: 212
    Options
    Yes, sorry, I meant MPQ, not MTG. Heh, my bad.
  • huntly
    huntly Posts: 99
    Options
    If you don't have the cards to build a great deck it can take 5-30min per match depending on what deck you're up against.
  • KroNoS
    KroNoS Posts: 38
    Options
    ***writing this during this unscheduled maintenance at start of innistrad event***

people who have invested more time for better card libraries will always have an advantage.

this will always be the case short of giving everybody preassigned decks for every event.
    and really.... who wants that? I know i dont. ***They already mentioned Saheeli Rai's deck is preconstructed for this event***

it takes very little time to complete the first round of games in events... then you have what... 4 hours to complete another round of your PWs? I dont feel this is unreasonable by the Devs.

at most i think them giving us the secondary objectives (IF ANY) would be something that should be done.

im pretty sure this is a special event considering NOONE HAS YET SPOILED HER ABILITIES ANYWHERE. so our little match 3 MTG game scoring a big reveal like this is a big deal. The fact that it doesnt suit everyones schedules is unfortunate, but this is big for our little game.
  • mouser
    mouser Posts: 529 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Update broke Diregraf Colossus, it's not getting bonuses for itself or more Diregraf's entering the field. Haven't exhaustively checked if it works for any other zombie cards yet.
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,080 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    mouser wrote:
    Update broke Diregraf Colossus, it's not getting bonuses for itself or more Diregraf's entering the field. Haven't exhaustively checked if it works for any other zombie cards yet.

Sometimes it does sometimes it doesnt. Definitely bugged
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,080 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Coconut99 wrote:

I am sure she will be added to the vault for crystals after the Kaladesh expansion in mtgpq. We dont know when it will be released though, probably a few months later.
  • Barrelrolla
    Options
    Cthulhu wrote:
    nexus13 wrote:
    Could we please get some information on what the secondary objectives are in Saheeli Rai's Challenge? If this is only run once then we don't want to start a node with the wrong PW or make an incorrect choice that could have been avoided if we had information beforehand. Please give us the full details up front so no one has to sacrifice themselves to find out a vital twist in the rules that could have been relayed up front.

Hello!

The secondary objectives are basically transforming a creature twice and another one I can't remember off the top of my head. We are going to run a test again tomorrow of the event and I will let you know exacts.

Also, we are aware of some small bugs (one of which is Sorin's story is placeholder text). We are working on fixing this and will get that out tomorrow. If you see anything amiss, please don't hesitate to let us know.

Saheeli Rai is a great character, she's a lot of fun.

icon_greengoblin.png Cthulhu icon_greengoblin.png
    Anymore info on that. This is information we seriously need, otherwise you can decide to play Nissa and then see that the objective is to summon vampires.
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,936 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    earthcube wrote:
    Alexx40in wrote:
    Prized Amalgam still freezes the game.
    Yep, the first thing that happened to me after patching was a Prized Amalgam freeze.
    Dang.

This. Not only that, but Diregraf Colossus no longer starts as 5/5, making him extremely hard to get off the ground, so to speak.
  • blacklotus
    blacklotus Posts: 589 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Mainloop25 wrote:
    earthcube wrote:
    Alexx40in wrote:
    Prized Amalgam still freezes the game.
    Yep, the first thing that happened to me after patching was a Prized Amalgam freeze.
    Dang.

This. Not only that, but Diregraf Colossus no longer starts as 5/5, making him extremely hard to get off the ground, so to speak.

I m using the bugged diregraf as a rc blocker.

hope u have more powerful primary attackers in your deck.

for me, I use drana n meatbag. lol