Has anyone pulled a Ulvenwald Hydra yet?

Options
andrewvanmarle
andrewvanmarle Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
edited August 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
I'm'really hoping for one myself but I haven't'seen any in play... kinda wondering if it is lootable....

Comments

• shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I haven't myself but I know people who have, and I've certainly played against them.
  • Morphis
    Morphis Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Yes people do have it.
    There is also one person with days undoing and hydra in kiora.
    Hope no one will ever have together with these card access to engulf the shore and exert influence.

Such a deck would be overpowered beyond belief icon_eek.gif
  • Mcjordan
    Mcjordan Posts: 82 Match Maker
    Options
    I have it, and it is as good as it looks. If you can play it early or when the opponent doesn't have any creatures in play yet, you practically just win.
  • HomeRn
    HomeRn Posts: 329 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Mcjordan wrote:
    I have it, and it is as good as it looks. If you can play it early or when the opponent doesn't have any creatures in play yet, you practically just win.
    This isn't necessarily true. It is an exceptionally powerful card (especially for Kiora and even more so for Nissa!), but it can be countered by the usual means. When part of a deck that's designed for mass gem conversion... it can get huge in a hurry! However... if the initial 6 gems converted fail to cascade immediately - in other words "whiff" - it's at worst a 3/3 creature with reach for your opponent's creatures to trade into.

Personally, I would NOT be surprised a for a second if it gets nerfed in terms of mana cost. It is quite cheap for the potential!
  • Mcjordan
    Options
    HomeRn wrote:
    Mcjordan wrote:
    This isn't necessarily true. It is an exceptionally powerful card (especially for Kiora and even more so for Nissa!), but it can be countered by the usual means. When part of a deck that's designed for mass gem conversion... it can get huge in a hurry! However... if the initial 6 gems converted fail to cascade immediately - in other words "whiff" - it's at worst a 3/3 creature with reach for your opponent's creatures to trade into.

Personally, I would NOT be surprised a for a second if it gets nerfed in terms of mana cost. It is quite cheap for the potential!

Right, but you control when you play it. Also, the card is at worst "deal 3 damage to opponent's first creature" for 7 mana, and at best "kill off every creature and win the game in 5 turns".
  • Coconut99
    Coconut99 Posts: 212
    Options
    I remember drooling over this when I saw it in the card list. Haven't gotten one myself, but saw one for the first time earlier today in Terrors. Ugh, it did some fair damage before I could get it destroyed (held out on dropping creatures as they were guaranteed to just die running up against it).
  • glggwp
    glggwp Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    Options
    tbh, i dont feel this card to be that overpowered...
  • Feagul
    Feagul Posts: 114
    Options
    Morphis wrote:
    Yes people do have it.
    Hope no one will ever have together with these card access to engulf the shore and exert influence.

Z28QFrSl.png

I've been testing several variations of this deck and it almost generates too much mana. I was originally running Fertile Thicket, Omnath, and Pyromancer's Goggles over Part the Waterveil, Dreadwaters, and Day's Undoing--but each card seemed to limit the deck's effectiveness.

Fertile Thicket was a good initial push, but later became dead weight in addition to being outperformed by the Hydra itself. Omnath clogged the board and made my Exert Influences dead draws in the late game. Pyromancer's Goggles with Nissa's Renewal simply slowed the games down too much.

I've tried several cards in those three slots, and the closest replacement has been Gaea's Revenge. Nothing has come close to beating the deck, though--so I quit trying to perfect it for the time being. This build is all about speed. icon_e_smile.gif
  • Netatron
    Netatron Posts: 147
    Options
    Feagul wrote:
    Morphis wrote:
    Yes people do have it.

Z28QFrSl.png

I've been testing several variations of this deck and it almost generates too much mana. I was originally running Fertile Thicket, Omnath, and Pyromancer's Goggles over Part the Waterveil, Dreadwaters, and Day's Undoing--but each card seemed to limit the deck's effectiveness.

Fertile Thicket was a good initial push, but later became dead weight in addition to being outperformed by the Hydra itself. Omnath clogged the board and made my Exert Influences dead draws in the late game. Pyromancer's Goggles with Nissa's Renewal simply slowed the games down too much.

I've tried several cards in those three slots, and the closest replacement has been Gaea's Revenge. Nothing has come close to beating the deck, though--so I quit trying to perfect it for the time being. This build is all about speed. icon_e_smile.gif

Going for speed, your opponents won't have the chance to put out many strong creatures most of the time. I'd swap Omnath or Fertile Thicket for Exert Influence if you're doing QB.
  • Feagul
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Is the image I posted viewable? icon_e_wink.gif

EDIT: Looks like you're suggesting to replace Exert Influence with Omnath. I found Gaea's Revenge to be preferable to Omnath on the off chance some removal was thrown my way. It's splitting hairs at that point, though.
  • Plastic
    Plastic Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Z28QFrSl.png

Have you tried Woodland Bellower? I wonder how that would do once it grabbed hydra over and over....
  • Morphis
    Morphis Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Feagul wrote:
    Morphis wrote:
    Yes people do have it.

Z28QFrSl.png

That's exactly what I meant.
    The only card i did not think of is dreadwater.
    Recently for mastery I used it and acknowledged its potential.
    With so many chances of 4 matches given by gem conversion is at the very least a great card...
    Maybe the best for the "non obvious" slot.
  • Mcjordan
    Options
    Morphis wrote:
    With so many chances of 4 matches given by gem conversion is at the very least a great card...

I wish Dreadwater was activate instead of trap. I haven't tried it with this deck (I run a similar one), but I can imagine you accidentally popping your own traps due to cascades and gem conversion. Do you have that problem Feagul? Also, Engulf the Shore seems like an odd choice considering the idea would be everything should either be stolen or would die to your massive hydra.
  • Feagul
    Options
    Mcjordan wrote:
    Morphis wrote:

I wish Dreadwater was activate instead of trap. I haven't tried it with this deck (I run a similar one), but I can imagine you accidentally popping your own traps due to cascades and gem conversion. Do you have that problem Feagul? Also, Engulf the Shore seems like an odd choice considering the idea would be everything should either be stolen or would die to your massive hydra.
    I should have been more clear: This was my Nissa deck from the last Nodes of Power that was optimized for speed in Platinum tier. I haven't been playing Quick Battles nearly as much lately due to the insane time investment it takes to get a decent reward when compared to gold/platinum tier PvP events. Dreadwaters was basically a "why not" card since I seemed to always have plenty of mana. I always prioritized it at the bottom of my hand, so there were routinely enough trapped gems (even 8+ from multiple castings) that the AI would feed me more mana on its turn.
  • Mcjordan
    Options
    Feagul wrote:
    Mcjordan wrote:
    Morphis wrote:

I should have been more clear: This was my Nissa deck from the last Nodes of Power that was optimized for speed in Platinum tier. I haven't been playing Quick Battles nearly as much lately due to the insane time investment it takes to get a decent reward when compared to gold/platinum tier PvP events. Dreadwaters was basically a "why not" card since I seemed to always have plenty of mana. I always prioritized it at the bottom of my hand, so there were routinely enough trapped gems (even 8+ from multiple castings) that the AI would feed me more mana on its turn.

Makes sense. Thanks for the deck list, I like it.
  • fox1342
    fox1342 Posts: 174 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Plastic wrote:
    Have you tried Woodland Bellower? I wonder how that would do once it grabbed hydra over and over....

I find it tends to grab another bellower most often. Which is fine, 32/28 isn't bad. But I'm normally hoping for something else.
  • HomeRn
    HomeRn Posts: 329 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    fox1342 wrote:
    Plastic wrote:

I find it tends to grab another bellower most often. Which is fine, 32/28 isn't bad. But I'm normally hoping for something else.
    I usually try to play Bellower as the only green creature with Kiora alongside blue creatures. 32/28 is solid - and it essentially triggers Kiora's second ability automatically.
  • Squirreljester
    Squirreljester Posts: 40 Just Dropped In
    Options
    This is the third post where people seem to like Day's Undoing. I mean, the card is decent, but every time I've run it it seems to help the opponent out way more than it helps me out because it gives them a new hand.

Can someone explain to me why it's so good and how people are using it?

FYI I only have Jace for blue.

I suppose you could run a deck with 3 and under cast cost stuff and just run the game for like 10 minutes each time it's your turn, but that would get boring, and be kind of useless.
  • Rootbreaker
    Options
    This is the third post where people seem to like Day's Undoing. I mean, the card is decent, but every time I've run it it seems to help the opponent out way more than it helps me out because it gives them a new hand.

Can someone explain to me why it's so good and how people are using it?

FYI I only have Jace for blue.

I suppose you could run a deck with 3 and under cast cost stuff and just run the game for like 10 minutes each time it's your turn, but that would get boring, and be kind of useless.
    It's too slow for quick battle, but very powerful for events. You play with some cheap and/or situational cards, and you get a mana advantage compared to other card drawers, even really cheap ones. It costs 10 mana, and discounts the hand you draw by 15 total, so it's +5 mana. It's certainly dangerous to play against people with cheap decks who are playing their hands out, but a lot of enemies will have cards stuck in their hands anyway, so you're not helping them much at all. You even shuffle away their hand, so if they have spent some time charging up a card, you can get rid of it.
  • Squirreljester
    Squirreljester Posts: 40 Just Dropped In
    Options
    It's too slow for quick battle, but very powerful for events. You play with some cheap and/or situational cards, and you get a mana advantage compared to other card drawers, even really cheap ones. It costs 10 mana, and discounts the hand you draw by 15 total, so it's +5 mana. It's certainly dangerous to play against people with cheap decks who are playing their hands out, but a lot of enemies will have cards stuck in their hands anyway, so you're not helping them much at all. You even shuffle away their hand, so if they have spent some time charging up a card, you can get rid of it.

I do see the value in removing a hand of my opponent's saved up big cost cards, and I hadn't thought about the mana it adds like you put it. Maybe I'll take another look at it. One thing I wish it did, since it does say both players "draw 5 cards", is count toward things like Sphinx's Tutelage when my opponent is drawing his cards. I have quite a few decks in paper magic based on hurting my opponent while he's drawing cards, but Day's Undoing never triggers Sphinx's Tutelage.