Sorin, Grim Nemesis: Official Thread

1356

Comments

  • MorphisMorphis Age Unconfirmed Posts: 975
    Jazzpha wrote:
    glggwp wrote:
    need this card so bad

    OliviaMobilizedForWar.png

    Oh.

    Oh maaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnn.

    That's going to be absolutely bonkers.
    The thing is... She will give the buff to herself(almost 100% sure based on basically any other card in the game).
    That means that for 20 mana she is effectively a 11/11 haste lifelink flying creature.
    She would be worth it just for that. icon_e_wink.gif
  • chispitochispito Age Unconfirmed Posts: 12
    Plastic wrote:
    chispito wrote:
    Has anyone posted the deck options yet? (creatures/spells/supports)

    He seems solid, if slow. The only real complaint I would have is... destroy my precious white supports?

    10/3/3

    His PW abilities I could live with and work around, but this is a deal breaker. I wouldn't consider him at anything less than x/5/5. It takes all the fun out of deck construction.
  • CoppertouretCoppertouret Age Unconfirmed Posts: 169 Tile Toppler
    I think a moderate change to balance him would be his second ability giving lifelink and like regenerate 1 to all your creatures.
  • aesithaesith Age Unconfirmed Posts: 53 Match Maker
    After dropping $50, Im more disappointed I didnt get a single rare or mythic from my black/white 4x pack.

    But I am enjoying Sorin. His 1st and 3rd are great and his 2nd is horrible (even with a Journal). Now granted my deck is all lifegain bit it might be more useful if you didnt have much.

    https://m.imgur.com/gallery/K4fZ9

    Sorin is only level 23 atm.
  • nexus13nexus13 Age Unconfirmed Posts: 191 Tile Toppler
    I'm ok with most of Sorin but ability 2 doesn't really fit and is also hamstrung if he is limited to 3 supports. Sure there is this clue thing but I'd like to see the planeswalkers playable beyond their set. I hope that the reported build restrictions of 10/3/3 is incorrect because it's horrible. He might be playable because of the dual color access but the friendly support destroying ability has got to go for something useful.
  • JazzphaJazzpha Posts: 101 Tile Toppler
    I don't mind the 10/3/3 distribution at all, honestly. It's nice to actually have to think carefully about what sort of deck you're trying to build. Do you prioritize buff spells, disable, or removal? Ramp supports, or ones that buff?

    I'm doing fine at the moment just running Shrine of the Forsaken Gods, Caves of Kolios and Tamiyo's Journal as my three supports. Gets me ramp and card draw, which is really all Sorin needs to go to town.
  • JazzphaJazzpha Posts: 101 Tile Toppler
    zpFHDat.jpg

    A typical Sorin endgame board.

    I really, really like this guy.

    I also put him through the paces against Blisterpod and Murk Strider in Story Mode, and he won just fine. And I think those fights are more annoying than most pvp encounters, honestly.
  • PlasticPlastic Age Unconfirmed Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Jazzpha wrote:

    A typical Sorin endgame board.

    Lol. I'm pretty sure those creatures aren't typical to most players. Definitely not if you think people have all 3. In any case....

    I'm curious how long Sorin's average quick battle matches are at 60.
  • madwrenmadwren Posts: 1,983 Chairperson of the Boards
    Don't get me wrong, it's awesome that he works so well for you, but I'd posit that any planeswalker does well with multiple strong mythic creatures. =)
  • JazzphaJazzpha Posts: 101 Tile Toppler
    madwren wrote:
    Don't get me wrong, it's awesome that he works so well for you, but I'd posit that any planeswalker does well with multiple strong mythic creatures. =)

    Oh, for sure! No offense taken. I should have specified "typical *for me*" hahaha.

    It's always a good feeling to crack that deck build that works really well with a particular PW, though. It's one of the reasons I'm still playing the game as much as I am.
  • knthrakknthrak Age Unconfirmed Posts: 39
    I suspect Sorin will be plenty overpowered. Not because the abilities are any good, but because access to 2 colors and a net +8 mana production (with two +4 colors) will be good enough on their own.
  • MorphisMorphis Age Unconfirmed Posts: 975
    knthrak wrote:
    I suspect Sorin will be plenty overpowered. Not because the abilities are any good, but because access to 2 colors and a net +8 mana production (with two +4 colors) will be good enough on their own.
    I disagree.
    Access to two colors is good for variety but is great only if they sinergize.
    White and black sinergize on lifegain and that's it.
    What you can get out of this sinergy is fine but not overpowered.

    In my opinion after a skill buff/change he can reach Koth potential(not as fast but more reliable win).

    Kiora level is out of discussion here unless they make some of his skills ridiculously overpowered.
  • HomeRnHomeRn Posts: 290 Mover and Shaker
    Morphis wrote:
    knthrak wrote:
    I suspect Sorin will be plenty overpowered. Not because the abilities are any good, but because access to 2 colors and a net +8 mana production (with two +4 colors) will be good enough on their own.
    I disagree.
    Access to two colors is good for variety but is great only if they sinergize.
    White and black sinergize on lifegain and that's it.
    What you can get out of this sinergy is fine but not overpowered.

    In my opinion after a skill buff/change he can reach Koth potential(not as fast but more reliable win).

    Kiora level is out of discussion here unless they make some of his skills ridiculously overpowered.
    Agreed with you Morphis. Kiora is on another level in terms of "overpowered." Mostly because blue/green color card combinations have so many options in terms of strategies. White/black has probably the slimmest number of strategy options due to the number of things they share: lifelink, resurrection (white can resurrect supports, black brings back creatures), and token spam.
  • knthrakknthrak Age Unconfirmed Posts: 39
    Morphis wrote:
    knthrak wrote:
    I suspect Sorin will be plenty overpowered. Not because the abilities are any good, but because access to 2 colors and a net +8 mana production (with two +4 colors) will be good enough on their own.
    I disagree.
    Access to two colors is good for variety but is great only if they sinergize.

    I don't think it's about synergy so much as making sure the colors don't overlap. For Kiora, the main synergy is that mana ramp is good in conjunction with absurdly powerful blue cards and card draw. Of course, Kiora also has an absurdly powerful first ability.

    I'm not sold on the requirement that the two colors need to synergize, but I will agree that there is more overlap than I would like. Both white and black have access to good removal (black's is a bit cheaper and better). Neither color is very good at removing supports unless you have an Anguished Unmaking. Neither color ramps well.

    Where you do get some benefit in mixing the colors is that white generally has better creatures. Sure, Priest of the Bloodrite is awesome, but in white you have multiple choices for 4 power creatures at 6 mana or less. In Black, you have some amount of card drawing with Read the Bones, as well as Transgress the Mind to disrupt your opponent's plans.

    I think someone said that Sorin is restricted to 10 Creatures, 3 Support, 3 Spells? If so, then that is fairly limiting.
  • AvacynAvacyn Age Unconfirmed Posts: 89 Match Maker
    After playing with him a full day I think he should to be rename to: Sorin, **** Nemesis.

    Sorin should target his opponent's creature with vampiric drain instead of his own. Doing one damage to each enemy creature doesn't seem overpowered with a skill that cost loyalty.

    his second ability is awful. No one is going to blow up their entire support field just for a single card (investigate) advantage. I'll wait the 2 turns. There are many ways to get cards with black without having to destroy all your supports. I only use it just to punish myself for spending 40 bucks on this guy. I would suggest his 2nd ability should give a creature lifelink and a plus 1 counter on toughness base on tier. that would make his ultimate less of a burden. Look at Gideon (Battle forged). His first skill gives 3 abilities. I'm only suggesting one that also matches his theme.

    You will need at least 1 of your 3 creatures to have lifelink to maximize his third ability. It why I don't like it. It with a condition I most have in order to gain any benefit. No other planeswalker ultimate have criterias like this. But if Sorin would provide it it wouldn't be so bad. But thats just my 2 cents.
  • famousfoxkingfamousfoxking Age Unconfirmed Posts: 245 Tile Toppler
    Malcrof wrote:
    2: Regenerate - cost: 12
    1 - Gain life equal to the amount of supports you control times 2, then Destroy each support you control
    2 - Gain life equal to the amount of supports you control times 4, then Destroy each support you control
    3 - Gain life equal to the amount of supports you control times 6, then Destroy each support you control
    4 - Gain life equal to the amount of supports you control times 8, then Destroy each support you control

    If this were "then lose one shield from each support you control" then maybe. As written, Noooooooope.
  • HomeRnHomeRn Posts: 290 Mover and Shaker
    I've found some success with Sorin recently; it does get tricky regarding Sorin's rigid 10/3/3 limitations, but here's how I managed to draft a deck for him:

    Creatures (4)

    Felidar Sovereign
    Serene Steward
    Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
    Eleusive Tormentor

    Spells (3)

    Anguished Unmaking
    Dark Petition
    To the Slaughter

    Supports (3)

    Blighted Fen
    Infernal Scaring
    Drownyard Temple



    Sorin's deck limitations makes deckbuilding tough because of the 4 required creatures in the deck at all times - but since there's a fairly decent number of lifelink creatures and/or creatures that supplement lifelinkers, that could make your choice creatures easier or harder. The real challenge though comes with the supports and spells being so limited!

    Using supports you actually "want" to blow up with Sorin's second ability can be a very interesting way to getting around the spell limitation. Blighted Fen and Infernal Scaring both have an effect once they are destroyed - which you can activate on a hair trigger once you can trigger Sorin's second ability! Suddenly it's not just 8 life per support at the highest levels... it's also blowing up your enemy's first creature and/or drawing a card as well! Drownyard Temple is an excellent support to round out the deck. Blowing it up isn't that bad, especially since all it takes is one landfall and it's right back into play.

    I find that Sorin works best with a number of spells that focus on controlling the game. To the Slaughter is a given; 5 mana to destroy a problematic creature (and potentially 10 damage to your enemy's face) is a great deal, or Grip of Desolation if you don't have To the Slaughter just yet. Anguished Unmaking is another great card as this is black's ONLY FORM OF SUPPORT REMOVAL. Dark Petition can help bring something important back in case of your opponent having some extra removal spells.

    Creature-wise, you will want lifelink, obviously... but you don't want to overdo it! Kalitas is a great option in any black deck that adds some extra zing to the removal spells in the deck. Serene Steward is always awesome for her efficiency, but her synergy with Sorin makes her nearly indispensable. Felidar Sovreign is cheap, has lifelink, is the designated blocker in the deck, and tends to get buffed by Serene Steward a lot! Elusive Tormentor is an amazing vampire with an amazing ability to constantly deny enemy blockers - why waste spells on surprise blockers when the Tormentor can make sure they're never an issue?
  • famousfoxkingfamousfoxking Age Unconfirmed Posts: 245 Tile Toppler
    HomeRn wrote:
    Using supports you actually "want" to blow up with Sorin's second ability can be a very interesting way to getting around the spell limitation.

    I hadn't even considered that, that's a fantastic idea. I'd been focusing on Caves of Kolios and Shambling Vent, for mana and Vent to get lifelink on occasion, but I can see using Blighted Fen and Blighted Steppe instead. Blighted Steppe could work pretty well.
  • AvacynAvacyn Age Unconfirmed Posts: 89 Match Maker
    I put together a deck for the event(SoI) with Sorin. Thought I share:

    Creature:
    Drogskol Cavalry: 6/6 blocker. gain 2 life when a spirit enters the battlefield and his active summons a spirit token.
    Moorland Drifterr: cheap delirium spirit for the (SoI) event.
    Nearheath Chaplain: lifelink blocker. on death summons 2 spirit tokens.
    Angel of Deliverance: delirium removal

    Spell:
    To the Slaughter: hard removal. bonus damage with delirium.
    Ondu Rising: Lifelink for all creature end of turn
    Not Forgotten: summon 2 spirit tokens

    Support:
    Vessel of Ephemera : summon 2 spirit tokens when destroyed
    Shambling Vent: mana
    Silverstrike: removal for attackers and gives 3 life points. can take out attacking Runaway Carriage.

    The idea is to stack spirit tokens and gain life from it though Drogskol. it isn't a powerful build. But it nails all the objectives on the node. works well with Sorin's ultimate if the battle last that long. The eldritch moon expansion well have tons of valuable spirits whenever that gets released on PQ.

    enjoy.
  • AlicrastAlicrast Age Unconfirmed Posts: 34 Just Dropped In
    His abilities look **** to me to guys... But i think the best cards he has access to are all the cheep creature kills you can run on him. Combine that with a few op mithics and rares and he can win easily. To the slaughter, grip of desolation, smight the monsterous, unholy hunger. Then you just throw in some draw and mythics read the bones, kothoped, kalitas, noyan dar, graveborn marauder. Ewww didn't see the 10/3/3 thats a horror story...
Sign In or Register to comment.