Patch Notes - R108 (08/29/16)

Comments

• pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Another question worth a follow up...

Does the point system differentiate between the initial champing of a character, or applying champ levels?

I have a hulk, a 2mags, and a 2wolvie in inventory. It seems that it might benefit me most to not apply them until the update, as well as not open any DDQ tokens, standard tokens, or really any other token. Is this a valid strategy to maximize points on roll out?
  • smoq84
    smoq84 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    Another question: Is it better to stop selling maxed 2* champions and wait till the rewards or can we sell them, recruit new fresh copy and the rewards will be the same?
    I guess it's better to wait with selling because having a maxed 2* can benefit in evaluation higher rank.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster wrote:
    I'm just going to use KingDreadnaught as a measuring stock. That guy will probably be level 65. icon_e_biggrin.gif
    With that standard, I'll be happy if I get past level 50 at launch...
    the big question = is KD barely 65 or will a large chunk of the top of the player-base be 65?
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm betting we'll see a large chunk of vets at 65 but the R109 patch will up the cap further and only a very few with multiple 5* champions will be boosted up to whatever that number is.
  • amusingfoo1
    amusingfoo1 Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    lockvine wrote:
    Would it be possible to get a post of the levels and their corresponding rewards?

Even better would to also get exp per level and actions that grant exp with amount earned per action?

My guess would be that the former will be available in-game, and the latter will be unavailable at all. I'd love to get both, though.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    smoq84 wrote:
    Another question: Is it better to stop selling maxed 2* champions and wait till the rewards or can we sell them, recruit new fresh copy and the rewards will be the same?
    I guess it's better to wait with selling because having a maxed 2* can benefit in evaluation higher rank.

Makes me wonder if my ranking is going to be lowered because I sold half my 2s two weeks ago and have only managed to rechamp them up to the 115 range since then.
  • TxMoose
    I'm also curious to see if they try and get some to roster all the 1s by putting a small bonus to having all the 1s maxed. that'd be purely for hp sales.
  • waywreth
    waywreth Posts: 303 Mover and Shaker
    I think it sounds good - more ways to get rewards - coupling that with the usual terrible daily rewards, this at least gives you some milestones to chase.
  • antreas1911
    antreas1911 Posts: 113 Tile Toppler
    I would really like the devs to use some imagination and give us a name in each rank. For example

Lvl 1 Cupcake
    Lvl 2 Belova
    Lvl 5 Bagman
    Lvl max Chuck Norris ( only the one with a level 370 Devil Dino icon_e_biggrin.gif )
  • MPQ_Daywalker
    MPQ_Daywalker Posts: 384 Mover and Shaker
    Very cool. My speculation after the initial teaser announcement turned out to be pretty close. I said:
    I think the SHIELD Rank will be tied to your MMR. As you level up your roster, your MMR gets higher, and so will your SHIELD Rank. This would be relatively easy for them to implement, since it's just creating a visual representation of a number that's already being calculated for every player.
    This is pretty close to...
    Cthulhu wrote:
    Existing players will be granted a level based on their current roster's characters, including levels and covers.
    The Piecing Together Marvel Puzzle Quest article states Clearance Levels "will allow players to choose the rewards they want to compete for." That's what I was thinking too:
    I then think that the "SHIELD Clearance Level" will be putting you into a different prize bracket for events, based on your SHIELD Rank. So there might be a Clearance Level 3, which is a typical 3-Star player, and they would earn more 3-star covers and the potential to win 4-star covers. And then a Clearance Level 4, which would be a typical 4-star player, and they would earn more 4-star covers and the potential to win more command points/legendary tokens. I'd expect (and hope) that each Clearance Level will have higher and higher ISO rewards as well, commensurate with the rank/level of player.
    My big questions with this are on the XP we have to earn to achieve the next SHIELD Rank... the only info we have so far on that is from the Piecing Together article: "Players will gain XP from everyday actions like buying packs, and improving their roster by recruiting, leveling and championing characters."

In my second speculation post, I theorized that there wasn't an advantage to hoarding ISO or not levelling your roster prior to this feature. Now since Cthulhu said they will be basing our SHIELD Rank on our current roster, that still seems to be the case, but if we're able to earn additional XP from "buying packs" I wonder if it's worth it to save opening any tokens I have until Monday. The question is do we get XP from opening a token or from buying a token with HP?

I could see earning XP from just opening a token... that way tokens we earn through rewards in the game (progression in PVE & PVP, for example) then become more XP for us to increase our SHIELD Rank. This goes in line with the rest of how this works... you have to play the game (doing PVE, PVP or both) to earn ISO and covers, which allow you to level up your roster, which gives you XP and increases your SHIELD Rank.

I could also see them giving us more XP for opening a rare token (e.g., a Legendary) than a standard token. Ultimately, though, will it be so little that it won't matter? Will a standard token give us 1 XP, a heroic or event token 2 XP and a legendary 3 XP? Or will it be significant? I'm currently thinking I might "hoard" my tokens for a whopping four days to find out. (I normally never hoard and just let my 12-year-old son open my tokens on a daily basis -- he gets excited about any usable four-star cover for me, so getting a Cho or Invisible Woman isn't nearly as painful as if I did it on my own.)
  • rkd80
    rkd80 Posts: 376
    I am still missing what the rank actually does? OK, so you hit the level and collect some iso. Then what?

I am basing this off the quote "access to different features" that was mentioned in the interview, but then the next paragraph mentioned 109 as having clearance levels.

So 108 seems like a small iso boost, but 109 is where the fun may be.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    I theorized that there wasn't an advantage to hoarding ISO or not levelling your roster prior to this feature. Now since Cthulhu said they will be basing our SHIELD Rank on our current roster, that still seems to be the case, but if we're able to earn additional XP from "buying packs" I wonder if it's worth it to save opening any tokens I have until Monday. The question is do we get XP from opening a token or from buying a token with HP?

Not the right question really.

The real question would be whether opening a token generates more XP than having a character in your possession when you are assigned an initial rank.

So is opening a heroic after launch worth more than having an extra 2 star Thor at launch?
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Didn't think I'd ever ask this on a Friday...

4405225.jpg
  • TheAlphateam
    TheAlphateam Posts: 25 Just Dropped In
    pheregas wrote:

Does the point system differentiate between the initial champing of a character, or applying champ levels?

I have a hulk, a 2mags, and a 2wolvie in inventory. It seems that it might benefit me most to not apply them until the update, as well as not open any DDQ tokens, standard tokens, or really any other token. Is this a valid strategy to maximize points on roll out?

I don't think it would matter because its all retroactive. If its 5 xp when you apply a cover, you get the 5 xp when its rolled out, or the 5 xp after.
  • TxMoose
    I don't think it would matter because its all retroactive. If its 5 xp when you apply a cover, you get the 5 xp when its rolled out, or the 5 xp after.
    true for those under rank 65. looks like they arbitrarily capped the grandfathered rank at 65, so if you'll be capped, it will be best to wait until Monday to do anything.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    pheregas wrote:

Retroactive up to the max of level 65.

Lets say I have a pitcher of water in my right hand, and a large glass in the other hand. The pitcher is my current roster, I have room to add more water to it. On Monday, they will take my pitcher and pour the entire contents into the empty glass in my left hand. I have no way of knowing if the contents of my pitcher is more or less than the capacity of the cup. If my pitcher has more water than my cup will hold, it will not benefit me to add water to the pitcher until I have emptied it on Monday, because if I have more water in my pitcher than my cup will hold, I will lose that extra water. Adding water to my pitcher if it contains more water than the cup can hold would be wasted water. If my pitcher contains less water than the cup will hold, then water I add to the pitcher will still go into the cup.

My objective is to get as much water into the cup as possible. So I will wait until I empty my pitcher into the cup on Monday, then begin refilling the pitcher again so as not to waste any water.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    TxMoose wrote:
    true for those under rank 65. looks like they arbitrarily capped the grandfathered rank at 65, so if you'll be capped, it will be best to wait until Monday to do anything.

Have you not considered that rank 65 might only have ended up being the cap as currently nobody would exceed that?
  • KingDreadnaught
    KingDreadnaught Posts: 92 Match Maker
    I'm here just because I felt someone mentioned me. Lol. Well I wanna know what level I'll be too. Maybe 65, maybe 99, maybe 9,999 level. 2 more days I'll report here too.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    Check your emails, man.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    wonder what time it'll go live.