Add a 5* to the weekly buffs?

Comments

• Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    spittake-cartoon.jpg?w=300&h=179&crop=1
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yes, of course.

As pointed out, two 1*'s get boosted, so I say we go all the way and boost two 5*'s each week.
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    I went with the distant future option. Assuming the game keeps developing on a similar path, we'll have a 6* tier before the fourth anniversary. At that point, assuming anyone is still left playing, it only makes sense to boost 5*.

I sincerely hope that day never, ever comes.
  • MarcusGraves
    MarcusGraves Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    5*'s are already disgustingly unbalanced in HP/match damage, no way in hell unless 5*'s get their hp/match damage nerfed (which should of been done a long time ago already).
  • amusingfoo1
    amusingfoo1 Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    rbdragon wrote:
    No. Boosted characters are a tool to promote roster diversity, and have characters that normally don't get much play see a little action. This diversity doesn't exist in the 5* tier. Outside of SS, most players don't have 5* characters that could be boosted to a level that would make them useful.

*sniff sniff* My SS is useful...
    I used both my boosted IMHB and Iceman instead of my champed SS during the Patch event. icon_neutral.gif

He does get a ton of use in PvE though - mainly as a 47k HP sponge to conserve health packs.

I used Hulkbuster instead of OML for Patch also. And found the Surfer teams easier to deal with than the Iceman or Hulkbuster ones, sadly. (I one-shotted a 50k hp Surfer in that event. Man, did that feel good.)

Also sadly, my Surfer only gets used in Sim and when OML is locked out in PvE (and to make a full 5* rainbow for curb-stomping trivial nodes quickly).
  • GigioR
    GigioR Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
    To quote Dr Cox.

"Good God in heaven, Newbie, there are just so very many ways for me to say this to you: Never; not in a million years; absolutely not; no way, Jose; no chance, Lance; niet; negatory; mm-mm; nuh-uh; oh-oh; and of course my own personal favorite of all time, man falling off of a cliff — Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo"
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    rbdragon wrote:
    No. Boosted characters are a tool to promote roster diversity, and have characters that normally don't get much play see a little action. This diversity doesn't exist in the 5* tier. Outside of SS, most players don't have 5* characters that could be boosted to a level that would make them useful.

*sniff sniff* My SS is useful...
    I used both my boosted IMHB and Iceman instead of my champed SS during the Patch event. icon_neutral.gif

He does get a ton of use in PvE though - mainly as a 47k HP sponge to conserve health packs.

I used Hulkbuster instead of OML for Patch also. And found the Surfer teams easier to deal with than the Iceman or Hulkbuster ones, sadly. (I one-shotted a 50k hp Surfer in that event. Man, did that feel good.)

Also sadly, my Surfer only gets used in Sim and when OML is locked out in PvE (and to make a full 5* rainbow for curb-stomping trivial nodes quickly).

I used Iceman instead of OML, with PH. Iceman is really strong, and in defense he is really dangerous.

Man I would like to level my maxed SS but I can't, I really think it would be a bad idea. If I level him my scaling in PvE is going to raise at least 20 levels, with no real benefit for my team. I am also afraid it could potentially make things worse in PvP so I stop seeing anything that it is not a champed 5.

So it is really sad because lately I am pulling a lot of SS covers that I have to sell for just 2000 iso. But I won't level my third 5 until I manage to get enough covers for Spidey, GG or IM46 (when I have one of those champed I will champ SS)
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Polares wrote:
    Man I would like to level my maxed SS but I can't, I really think it would be a bad idea. If I level him my scaling in PvE is going to raise at least 20 levels, with no real benefit for my team. I am also afraid it could potentially make things worse in PvP so I stop seeing anything that it is not a champed 5.

So it is really sad because lately I am pulling a lot of SS covers that I have to sell for just 2000 iso. But I won't level my third 5 until I manage to get enough covers for Spidey, GG or IM46 (when I have one of those champed I will champ SS)
    Just level your Surfer.
    Your maxed OML and Phoenix can handle everything that PVP throws at you, and Surfer will kill in PVE.
    Stop throwing away the champ rewards, they're too good for that.
  • Polares
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Polares wrote:

Just level your Surfer.
    Your maxed OML and Phoenix can handle everything that PVP throws at you, and Surfer will kill in PVE.

I am more worried about PvE than PvP. As I said, those extra 20-25 levels might make things much harder when SS is not going to help that much in most of those fights, like with the fantastic Carnage+2 muscle node :S

But I guess that after I level Peggy I will start saving for SS, really no point maxing more 4s for now (Peggy will be my 14th 4 champed). Maybe while I get the 450k iso needed, I will 7 Spidey covers in the best 5 streak EVER and then I will be able to level him instead icon_razz.gif
  • Bowgentle
    Polares wrote:
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Polares wrote:

Just level your Surfer.

I am more worried about PvE than PvP. As I said, those extra 20-25 levels might make things much harder when SS is not going to help that much in most of those fights, like with the fantastic Carnage+2 muscle node :S

But I guess that after I level Peggy I will start saving for SS, really no point maxing more 4s for now (Peggy will be my 14th 4 champed). Maybe while I get the 450k iso needed, I will 7 Spidey covers in the best 5 streak EVER and then I will be able to level him instead icon_razz.gif
    Of course Surfer helps in PVE.
    Surfer / OML / Xfool and never use a health pack again.
  • Polares
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Polares wrote:
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Polares wrote:

Just level your Surfer.

Of course Surfer helps in PVE.
    Surfer / OML / Xfool and never use a health pack again.

Yeah, I guess, except I already can do that with PH. PH / OML / "whoever I need to use" and I almost dont use any health pack (yeah sometimes I can be unlucky and the PH tile can get matched, but in PvE you can usually manage to fight against goons when she is close to death, 'suicide' her when it is convenient and then come back).

This is why I say I think he won't help me at all. Without levelling him I can still use Punisher, Peggy, Iceman (or any top tier 4 buffed to 370+) or even switch is a much better third for PvE nodes, and in essential I can just use two so OML / PH is a much better team. So champing SS is not going to help me, but he will raise the difficulty level of the nodes even if I don't use him.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Champing SS turned out to be way more productive than I thought he would be. I rarely even use my Phx in PvE now - I save her for PvP only. I can usually do full clears with some variation of OML/SS/IF without needing a single health pack.
  • Polares
    Champing SS turned out to be way more productive than I thought he would be. I rarely even use my Phx in PvE now - I save her for PvP only. I can usually do full clears with some variation of OML/SS/IF without needing a single health pack.

Well maybe I am biased against him... Other players also think he is useful, so I guess I will give him a try.

Which build do you both use, The typical ones I have seen in 5 players are 5/5/3 and 5/3/5? (which are not the obvious one I was planning to use which was 3/5/5)
  • Bowgentle
    Polares wrote:

Well maybe I am biased against him... Other players also think he is useful, so I guess I will give him a try.

Which build do you both use, The typical ones I have seen in 5 players are 5/5/3 and 5/3/5? (which are not the obvious one I was planning to use which was 3/5/5)
    Anything with 5 red, respec as needed.
    My default is 4/5/4.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Polares wrote:

I like 3/5/5. The 5 red is kind of a must, and I like the additional destruction/AP generation you get with 5 black.....even if 9/10 times I use OML black instead. Plus there is more certainty in that you can drop it on the edge of the board and know exactly what tiles will be cleared.

If I'm not pressed for time though I like to run IF/SS on essentials and see how many black holes I can get on the board at once.
  • Mitchjewitz
    Mitchjewitz Posts: 84 Match Maker
    It seems to me that there is a new system to boost 5*s. For nefarious foes my 255 GG is boosted to 263. Maybe I'm wrong but I thought they used to be boosted much more than that. I don't know how they get boosted as they are leveled but if it is only about 10 extra levels, I don't see that breaking the game to do it on a weekly basis.
  • Jabrony_Geoff
    Jabrony_Geoff Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    In reply to the question posed....I have four words for you.

I SAY THEE NAY...!!!!
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    .... ummm .... whichever one Phoenix is buffed in
    That would be Women of Marvel and Children of the Atom, the latter also buffed OML to everyone's excitement. But we are getting Earth's Mightiest this week, so I expect 5* Cap and Iron Man to be boosted there...
  • amusingfoo1
    Quebbster wrote:
    .... ummm .... whichever one Phoenix is buffed in
    That would be Women of Marvel and Children of the Atom, the latter also buffed OML to everyone's excitement. But we are getting Earth's Mightiest this week, so I expect 5* Cap and Iron Man to be boosted there...

And the Valentine's Day one.

Sorry to hear that Goblin's buff got toned down quite so much. Last time, mine was 270 and buffed to 360, I think. Now he's 427, and was looking forward to having him destroy some things (haven't started yet).
  • amusingfoo1
    Polares wrote:
    I used Iceman instead of OML, with PH. Iceman is really strong, and in defense he is really dangerous.

Yeah, I love Iceman. I still think he's top-3 4* (I'm not sure between him, Pun, and Peggy, who is number one). Not sure why I didn't use him this time.
    Polares wrote:

I leveled my Surfer almost entirely for the champion benefits, and I don't think that was a mistake. I don't know how much effect it has on scaling (I championed mine just before they changed to the new scaling system), but I doubt it will make enough difference to not be worth doing.