I haven't played for a day and I did not miss it!

h4n1s
h4n1s Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
edited August 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
I did write a post here viewtopic.php?f=7&t=48197&p=547948#p547948 how this game did not evolve much over the few years.

Most of us here have to admit, that we are hooked and coming back on nearly daily basis, to at least complete DDQ, if nothing else.

Now that the Olympics are on TV, there's few new and good PC/PS4/XBOX games out there, some new fresh books on the shelves (and hey, wife in the bedroom!), I occasionally miss to login to MPQ. Not that I forget or something, I just did not care.

My thoughts mostly were, why should I? :

- Daily rewards are bunch of random low value elements, rarely containing desirable cover.
- Ongoing PVEs are not offering the covers I would desire (Colossus, Sentry, Squirrel Girl... etc.), and will not have roster slots for anyway
- Planned PvPs are not offering the covers I would desire...
- Reaching half a dozen or dozen of progression rewards or top 100 placements rewards with my roster would mean at least 2 hours consecutive stereotypical play (and sometimes even shielding in PvP)
- New heroes/villains are out of my reach for at least few months, even a year
- ISO prices are high enough and ISO is scarce to that extend, that even trying to 'catch 'em all' is more a frustration than bringing a sense of accomplishment
- Store prices are not balanced well (price vs value) so they rather don't give me any motivation to invest in the game etc.

I came to conclusion that MPQ has become only a habit to kill some time, rather than a real game with some added value (entertainment based on story, improving personal skills or mastering something is for example something I would consider added value in a game).

I am afraid, that yet again, I will slowly ditch the game and stop playing it as I did approx 2 years ago... and you know what? I realize, that the reasons for doing so, are exactly the same as those that led me to leave the game back then!

One thing that kind of holds me to this game considerably is this forum, this community, that enriches the game in ways, not intended by it's own developers. So good job my fellow forumities!
(is that even an actual word?)

Edit: Minor typo corrections

Comments

• MrCrowley
    MrCrowley Posts: 81 Match Maker
    I also took a long break. I had a summer vacation time where I basically took 3 weeks off playing.
    I did not miss it when I had so much other stuff to do.

I agree on the ISO shortage being a big issue. It feels like it does not matter what covers I pull since I already have 2 "4s projects" to max out, and doing that will take a looong time.

ISO is just way too scarce.
  • kewlguirarist
    kewlguirarist Posts: 44 Just Dropped In
    Current PvE is giving 4* Punisher covers who is seen to be a worthwhile 4*. I do get you on the whole. I definitely get burnout but I do like the basics of the game. They can fix it pretty easily. I want to see what they are going to offer next as we are due a big update I think.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    The current PvE is such a slog through the same 5 Dark Avengers over and over, with no interesting story, for so many consecutive days, it's hard to believe anyone could play through all seven of them.

The game definitely falls lower on my priority list when there's other interesting media out there.
  • Boommike
    Boommike Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    I've been playing this game daily for over 400 days. I know there are folks here with twice that number, but that says something extraordinary for a mobile game in my opinion. Hell, there are only a few things that aren't necessities that you do every day.
    That being said, for the first time, I've noticed my draw to the game begin to decrease. I can throw in the factors of rl responsibilities, an increase of work at the office, and other distractions (*cough pokemongo), but I think a large part is the ISO scarcity. For the longest time "back in the day" I sat on a bit of a hoard. Covers were harder to come by than ISO for me and until the Championing Day arrived, I had approx 1.5 mil ISO saved. Then I binged. And how.
    I'm now at the point where all progress has crawled because I'm working back at rechamping 2*s. Yes, there is ISO to be had out there. And I know if I "work harder" I can earn more and thus progress more. But that's just it. I'm not motivated to "work" more at a game. I feel my progress slow and my desire dwindle because I feel the time and effort put in no way reflects the output. I'm not at the 5* tier; I'm not even at the 4* tier (I've just got my foot in the door). But I'm ok with that. I'm casual and proud. I just worry that this little thing called ISO is going to be the reason that a few days go by and then I realize it's been a week or two and I haven't played. In my opinion, that would be sad. Because with alllll the let downs this game has provided, at the end of the day, I still enjoy it. I may **** and moan, but I keep coming back. I like match 3 and furthermore I like superheros.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm playing the game less and less, and as that happens, I'm actually enjoying it more and more. I joined a very casual alliance that generally gets top 250 or 100 in pvp and very low scores in pve. So there's no pressure to play much or at all for my alliance's sake.

I often look at a long, boring pve and just say... no. I won't bother.

One thing I didn't like about playing a lot was that I'd gain more and more 4* covers and max out more 4*s with 13 covers, but then instead of being excited that I've gained 13 covers, I was instead sad, stressed and nervous that it meant now I needed to collect a whopping ~360,000 ISO in order to champion it, otherwise all additional covers go to waste for a paltry 1000 iso, which is a real letdown.

So by not playing as much, I can just focus on gaining ISO. Sure, I only gain around 5000 to 10000 ISO per day, so it takes over a month to champion each 4*, but at least I'm doing it at my own pace without worrying about needing to play enough to hit top progression or placement rewards. And I'm not even worried about trying to win new characters such as the wasp. She'll be a nice bonus if I win her from an LT at some point. And if I don't have her powerful enough to win her ddq challenge when it comes around, then that's fine. I have lots of other 4*s who are capable of winning their ddq challenges, and that's good enough for me.
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    I started playing MPQ in January of 2014. Last fall I stopped playing for few months but not by choice, so I actually missed it. I kept thinking, 'I wonder what new characters are being released? What kind of new events, stories or content am I missing?". To paraphrase Fox Mulder; "I can't take a day off. I won't know what I'm missing."

I still enjoy the game as much as back then, except I don't play as hard as I used to because in some events, the effort just does not seem worth the rewards. The game has changed. When I started, the only two 4 star.png were Xforce and IW. And they were more like trophy characters. But it was all 1, 2 and 3 star.png 's. The rewards at the time were sufficient for the game. Back then. But not now.
    Two years ago.... 1). tokens were not so diluted. 2). the ISO rewards were enough to keep pace wth the characters since they did not need 350k+ to max. 3). most players were around similar levels. the game was not old enough to have a huge gap between vets and noobs. but as time went on the gap grew wider. Unfortunately the game has evolved into something more. And the current rewards with the current play style just does not work. Which make it seem not worth it or too much like work for so little gain and taking the fun out of the game.

The team at Demiurge are making changes for the better though. And I like to believe that MPQ will get to a point where players log in, not just because they need to clear the DDQ, but because they actually want to. Some might consider me naive, or say "Well Demi has screwed us so much in past...', but I have faith in Demiurge. They have been making changes and shown that they are listening. But it is a business. And changes that help one group of players can hurt everyone else. So they need to find a middle ground. Like the saying goes, "A good compromise leaves everyone unhappy".
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    The team at Demiurge are making changes for the better though.

We would love to hear official announcements about said upcoming changes. I don't want to speak for everyone, but personally it would make me happy to know that something is in the pipeline.

Unless of course you are talking about the previous changes already made, which is fine as well.
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    I finished champing my 3*s, and realized that nothing I could play for was going to make a difference.

ISO won't help my OML/PHX, I can't reliably obtain champion covers for them with LTs because RNG is the only game in town and the odds are dismal compared to the effort.

I missed Wasp's PvE and PvP, but don't care, because there are no 4* PvPs and I don't play PvE anymore.

It's amazing that they're spending all this time to create all these new characters, and giving us nothing to do if we get them.
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    I finished champing my 3*s, and realized that nothing I could play for was going to make a difference.
    almost the same here - maxed my first two 4*s, rulk and imhb, my 3*s are halfway champed, only the lower tier is waiting for iso...

but thats it.
    with that hilariously slow 4*progression I have no intent to finish another 4* - tv shows and games have my attention back again, and I reduced by playtime from 4 hours a day (what was I thinking?) to ddq and some pve/pvp until I ragequit.

alliance events are completely different shoes - something resembling adequate rewards will get played.
    with the current rewards my by playtime mirrors my motivation.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Current PvE is giving 4* Punisher covers

To 1% of the player base who are willing to grind their life away.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's amazing that they're spending all this time to create all these new characters, and giving us nothing to do if we get them.

From the dev side, the game is called Marvel 40 Pack Quest. As in, how can we sell more of those.
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    mpqr7 wrote:
    The team at Demiurge are making changes for the better though.

We would love to hear official announcements about said upcoming changes. I don't want to speak for everyone, but personally it would make me happy to know that something is in the pipeline.

Unless of course you are talking about the previous changes already made, which is fine as well.

I was actually referring to recent changes, but with a game like this, changes are being made all the time. Some of the changes in the future might be truly great and game changing. While others could very well cause half the player base to rage quit. They may decide to rework the less desired characters, making them useful. Or they might nerf some the best in the game. It's all part of how the game evolves and grows. Sometimes good, sometimes not so good. As to the changes over the last couple months, I kinda like most of them. As to future changes, I'm trying to stay positive and hope that my faith in Demiurge is someday rewarded.
  • h4n1s
    h4n1s Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    And I like to believe that MPQ will get to a point where players log in, not just because they need to clear the DDQ, but because they actually want to.

The 'need to login to clear DDQ' is IMHO generated by the fact, that most of new content is addressing players that managed to keep up with the pace. In other words, if you get stuck in 2* land for a month or two, you just push forward the date of getting the chance to enjoy the new updates (I speak mostly of new characters). Since I restarted playing the game from scratch few months ago, I realize with every single announcement of new 4* and 5* release, that that change is not relevant to me to for quite some time. And will not be relevant to me for even longer period of time, if I don't play hard and daily.

So I am with you hoping for new major change to the game.
  • Yoik
    Yoik Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    I have slowed with my play this season. Well……… ever since they brought in the new event style really. Not sure why but it just doesn’t sit well with me. So I’ve not actually done the events since. PVP I still aim for 800 which is my alliance min and I tend to do the DP daily. I’ve been playing now for 980 days ish so MPQ has had a long run.

The less I play the less I feel like playing which probably means that it’s become more of a habit then an actual enjoyment. I still think the game is good. Especially for new players , there is so much to do and collect etc etc.

I guess I’m a Veteran of the game with that amount of time gone however it’s not unusual. It is difficult to keep new content going that can entertain and please everyone when a game becomes habitual.
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,233 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have greatly slowed down. The first couple of story events after the difficulty + progression change, I made sure to hit them enough to get the CP. Now, though.. ugh. I just can't do it. 7 days of Dark Avengers and goons just to pull one LT that will probably spit out a Venom or something. And I've expressed my increasing frustration at the state of PVP for a while now. I've tried mixing up DDQ teams to relieve the boredom, only to actually fail at it a time or two recently due to the stupid random nature of TBE now. That just increases the frustration.

I doubt I'll make it much longer than a month. I'll at least need a very long break; quite possibly quitting outright.
  • mikelnoe
    mikelnoe Posts: 92 Match Maker
    I skipped a day once and almost dropped a baby from the shakes I was having. Playing mpq saves lives. I'm just sayin.
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    I went on vacation with my mother, wife, and kids the weekend of July 15 and wasn't able to play more than DDQ, and I apparently even missed a day of that unintentionally according to the taco tokens I had hoarded.

Getting back into the game full tilt after coming back was impossible. I actually skipped 3 or 4 PvEs, including Wasp's release. I've been dabbling in Hulk enough that I have 54k with 2 subs yet to play, but I'm finding it impossible to want to play very much any more. Placement is completely shot in PvE now without devoting tons of time that I am unwilling to invest any longer. My efforts from before would have been T100, and similar efforts see me between T150-T200... it just isn't worth it.

To top it all off, I opened 102 hoarded taco tokens to try to get either the red Carnage or red 4clops I had in the vault with no dice. I *did* get the LT, and it gave me an unneeded Invisible Woman blue (she's at 13 covers with 5 blue already).

The RNG slap in the face combined with how much fun and fulfillment I have gotten from not playing the game may dissuade me from playing it again when college fires back up here in a couple weeks and I have free time sitting at my second job on campus. To have progress crippled like that and see that there are substantially more fun things I can do with my time? I'm on the edge of hanging up my hat at least on a temporary basis. We'll see what the near future brings. I'm wondering about Cthulhu's reported upcoming changes that he keeps referencing, but I'm not hopeful that they will contribute to any meaningful progress in the 3-4* move.
  • san
    san Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    I needed to respond to this thread, so I logged back into my D3 Forum account - I had forgotten the password, however, and needed to look it up elsewhere - that's how long I've been away.

I stopped regularly playing at the onset of last season (29, I believe), and I haven't looked back since. I play DDQ when I am bored (as a game should be played) and only do the 4* 1:1 battle on a regular basis. Otherwise, I've forsaken all events, covers, etc.

I am happier than ever, and after nearly 2 years of playing this daily, I don't think I'll be heading back. The game has become too diluted with a slew of useless, irrelevant, obsolete, or duplicate characters, and there is very little in terms of end game (OML really is the end game). It has become stale without any addition of truly NEW content (no new PVE, no real new PVP, all characters of the same type have the same pose, different skin - how original!). The most fun I've had is the 1:1 battles, because they still involve SOME thought.

This game has become a contest of who has more $$$ to make their roster look stronger, so that they can feel that their inadequacies have somehow been absolved or remediated.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    They have been making changes and shown that they are listening.

lolwut
  • hurcules
    hurcules Posts: 519

But you can certainly rosterbate on them and talk about them!